Impressions Changed

Luck And You

 

 

And everyone could tell how much Jaeun wants to kill this guy beside her right now.

“Go away!” She said as she pushed L out of the way.

She is on the noodles section and L was there with her interrupting her work.

Jaeun looked at L who was acting all innocent in reading all the information about the noodles. She couldn’t help but glare at this handsome pain in the eyes.

She sighed hard and rolled her eyes as she faced the opposite direction. She is turning away from this guy. She knows that he will not lose at any cost. And she would not either.

But she has to buy some groceries.

And she has to go away from this Death Note Kid.

So she did. She went to the beef section. She was choosing the best beef in the counter when a guy tugged her. She looked at him.

“Anyeong?” The guy asked.

Jaeun looked at him weirdly. “Yes?” She was hesitant whether to respond or not.

The guy smiled. “You see, I am lost. Can you tell me where the ramyun section is?” He asked.

Jaeun nodded at the direction of the ramyun.

The guy smiled at her. “Thanks. You see, I am new here.” He said. “I’m from the neighborhood.” He added. “How about you? You live around here too?” He asked.

Jaeun felt weird about this guys asking and being all too hospitable to her knowing that they are strangers. But she doesn’t want to be rude to anyone. “Yes. I am from around here.” She said.

The guys smiled. “That’s great! I will see you around then!” He beamed. “Oh! By the way, I am Minwoo.” He introduced himself.

Jaeun smiled and nodded. “I’m Jaeun.” She replied.

Minwoo smiled and took her hand for a shake. “Thank you Jaeun. See you around!” HE said as he ran to the ramyun section.

Jaeun watched him run up and about then went back to the beef section.

“How much is this?”

She heard someone ask.

And yes. That someone is the only one she doesn’t want to hear ever.

She looked at that someone and shut her eyes in disgust.

L blinked at her. “What? Oh you’re here too.” He said as casually as he can.

Jaeun rolled her eyes and placed whatever beef she thinks is good in the cart and left. * my .* She thought as she left for another item again.

L watched her and chuckled. *I really love pissing her off.* He thought as he placed the beef back in the freezer.

“You like her?” The old woman who is the cashier in the beef section asked.

L looked at the woman. “Excuse me, ahjumma?” He asked.

The woman gave him a look. “You like the girl don’t you?” She asked.

L scoffed. “No! I hate her actually.” He said. “I just love seeing her pissed off.” He added.

The woman smiled. “There is a thin line between love and hate, son. You should know that.” She said as she attended another customer.

L looked at her in disbelief before shrugging her words off. *Thin line between love and hate, huh? Yeah. Whatever.* He thought as he faced the direction where Minwoo went.

*And just who is that guy?!* He thought again. *So pathetic she is near Karate Kid.* He thought again as he followed Jaeun again.

And the whole grocery thing is just so stressful for Jaeun. She wasn’t able to pick good stuffs because wherever she went, L would be there too. She doesn’t know if he is really buying things or he is just pissing her off.

*He is pissing me off.* She thought as she lined to pay her things.

She sighed hard when she saw no trace of L already.

Big relief.

She went out of the grocery store with smile all over her face. At last! No DEATH NOTE KID FOR THE WHOLE DAY!!!!

She walked to her house which is just across the street. But as she was in front of her door, she felt another person’s presence.

“This is your house?”

Her blood rushed over to her head in anger again.

She faced the person who spoke. “What are you doing here?” She asked in a harsh manner.

L shrugged. “My feet just happened to lead me here.” He replied nonchalantly.

Jaeun scoffed. “Go away.” She said as she opened her door.

But L didn’t move. He just watched her open the door.

Jaeun looked at him again when she opened her door. “Go now. We don’t have sessions.” She ordered as she motioned to close the door in front of L’s face.

But L was fast enough to stop the door and went inside.

*Stupid fast reflexes.* Jaeun thought as she was left with no choice.

She sighed hard. “Who told you to come in?” She asked as she watched L welcome himself in her house.

L ignored her question and just went inside, looking around.

“This house is too small. How are you and your family fit in here?” He asked as he observed the whole house.

“One bed?” He asked as he saw Jaeun’s bed in the living room. “Are you alone here?” He asked again.

Jaeun glared at him. “Why would you want to know?” She asked.

L looked at her.

Jaeun rolled her eyes. “Yeah. I’m alone.” She replied against her will.

L looked at her again. “Where are your parents?” He asked.

Jaeun looked away and ignored the question.

L looked at her with a different look in his eyes.

Pity.

And concern?

“They are not here.” Jaeun replied as she went to the kitchen and arranged the groceries.

L narrowed his eyes on her. “Where did they go? Province? Overseas?” HE asked.

Jaeun was busy arranging the groceries. “Would you just stay still and don’t ask questions anymore?” She asked as she starts to get pissed off L’s persistent questioning.

L smirked. “I was just asking.” He replied.

Jaeun rolled her eyes and continued what she was doing while L sat on the couch and started to watch TV.

Jaeun was so shocked to see this guy make himself feel at home when he is in an enemies den. *Cocky.* She thought as she shook her head.

Then her phone rang…

It was Mina.

“Hello?” She answered.

‘Oh, Jaeun! The Day of the Kids is fast approaching!’ Mina blurted from the other line.

Jaeun smiled. “I know.” She said. “I think I know what to do for them this year.” She added.

‘Really? What is that?’ Mina asked excitedly.

“I’ll tell you tomorrow at work.” Jaeun chuckled.

‘Clue?’ Mina asked.

“Sweets.” Jaeun replied.

Mina was giggling in excitement on the other line. ‘I like the sound of that!’ She beamed. ‘I’ll wait for the whole details tomorrow! Oh my gosh! I can’t wait!’ She beamed again.

Jaeun chuckled. “Yeah. I’ll see you tomorrow.” She said. “By the way, how’s the café?” She asked.

Mina chuckled. ‘No need to worry. The café is safe with me!’ She replied confidently.

Jaeun laughed. “I know! So, see you tomorrow?” She asked.

‘Hm. See you tomorrow, Jae. Take care! Enjoy your day!’ Mina said as she hung up.

Jaeun smiled and looked at L. *How would I enjoy my day with this person inside my house?* She thought as she sighed.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Here.”

L looked at Jaeun who just gave him juice. He was shocked more. He never thought she would serve him something since he was uninvited in this house.

Jaeun sighed and rolled her eyes. “Don’t flatter yourself. I was just being kind to give you something to drink since you are inside my house.” She replied even without L talking.

L smirked. “Who said I was flattering myself? And how would I know if you placed love potion in my drink?” He asked sarcastically.

Jaeun looked at him weirdly. “Tch. I would put poison in your drink. Not love potion, you conceited brat.” She replied as she sat on the couch away from L.

L smirked as he took the drink and gulped it down. He nodded in the taste. “Not bad for a juice.” HE said.

Jaeun rolled her eyes. “I wish I placed poison for real.” She mumbled.

L heard that and chuckled. “So, how long have you been living alone?” He asked out of the topic.

Jaeun looked away. “For life.” She replied. She decided to entertain his questions once and for all to avoid more questions later.

L looked at her weirdly. “What do you mean?” He asked as he stared at her.

Jaeun shrugged. “I’m an orphan. My parents died and I grew up in the orphanage. I was just allowed to go out when I was legal. So here I am now, living alone.” She chuckled. “Pathetic right?” She asked.

L nodded. “Yeah.” He replied with a different tone of voice. “But you made it.” He added.

Jaeun looked at L. For the first time in her whole interaction with L, this is the only time where he heard him so serious.

It is foreign to her.

“Barely.” Jaeun replied.

L gave her a look. “You still did.” He insisted.

Jaeun laughed weakly and nodded. “You sound like a human today, huh?” She teased.

L looked at her weirdly. “I will only sound like this just this time, so, don’t jinx it.” He replied with a serious tone.

Jaeun almost laughed at his serious tone. It just doesn’t suit him. But she kept it all in.

“Is it hard?” L asked again.

Jaeun looked at him with confused eyes. “What do you mean?” She asked.

L shrugged. “I don’t know. I mean you being alone all your life, standing on your own and making money for yourself. Is it hard?” He asked.

Jaeun chuckled. “Way beyond hard.” She replied. “You are lucky you don’t have to go through all those things.” She added.

L looked at her. “Yeah. But that’s not everything. For me, you are luckier.” HE said.

Jaeun gave him a sheer look. “What do you mean?” She asked.

L smiled. “You are an orphan. You grew up in an orphanage. You were released when you are legal. You were able to stand up for yourself. You were able to send yourself to school. You are even excelling at school even if you have a job. You made it. Don’t you think that’s luck as well?” He asked.

Jaeun was shocked to hear all those words from L. He was just too sensible today. Or at least this time. He says the right words. Those right comforting words that she ever badly want to hear. Just awesome.

The Death Note Kid is awesome today.

L smiled. “I think I changed my point of view for you, Kwon Jaeun.” He said as he stood up. “Your impression to me has changed.” He continued.

Jaeun looked at him confused. She smiled. For the first time, she smiled at L. Genuinely.

“I’ll get going. Thanks for the juice.” He said as he walked to the door.

Jaeun watched him walk out and smiled. *Me too. Your impression on me changed.* She thought as she closed the door.