Cross Multiplication

Luck And You

 

 

L went home that day thinking about all the things the he knew about Kwon Jaeun.

It’s true that her impression on him has changed big time. It was great and massive.

He never thought that the tough Kwon Jaeun is an orphan. Wow. She is strong to face life alone.

*She’s really a Karate Kid.* He thought and smiled as he walked to their gate.

His mom saw him smiling along the way and narrowed her eyes on him. “What is wrong with you, son? Smiling?” She asked as L reached her.

L smiled. “Is it bad to smile when you feel like everything is different?” He asked.

Mrs. Kim looked at him confused. “What do you mean?” She asked.

L shrugged. “I don’t know, Mom. I just feel like smiling today.” He said.

Mrs. Kim narrowed her eyes on him as she felt that something is weird with her son.

Oh well, for one, L is cold. He doesn’t smile much.

Two, he is the master of the poker face even if he is happy. So, what made him smile all the way home today?

Just worth thinking, don’t you think?

Mrs. Kim looked at L as he was about to walk upstairs but stopped. He looked at her. “Mom, do you know that Kwon Jaeun is an orphan?” He asked.

Mrs. Kim looked at him. “Yes. Why?” She asked.

L shrugged. “Nothing. It just doesn’t seem like she is an orphan. Couldn’t imagine her being one.” He said. “With that personality of hers.” He continued.

Mrs. Kim smiled. “Nice personality she has right? She is hardworking and she has been the one doing everything to live. I am glad I had to meet her to be your tutor. She is perfect for tutoring you.” She said.

L scoffed. “Yeah. Like I care about her tutoring me.” He replied. “But she is a strong woman I might say.” He spoke. “I have always admired people who stand on their own.” He added.

Mrs. Kim smiled. “I know.” She replied. “That’s why you have to be kind to her because she is one great woman. Someone worth keeping.” She said.

L smiled and shook his head in disbelief. He knows that his mom wants him to be with a girl that is independent. Yeah. Jaeun is a perfect example of that ideal woman type of his mom.

Mrs. Kim was still talking to him when he dragged his feet to his room and ignored everything that his mom was ranting about.

He threw his body in his bed and thought of everything Jaeun told her. All her revelations regarding her life, why are they having a big impact in his mind?

Why can’t he get all those out of his mind?

“I admire strong girls, that’s why.” He told himself as he turned to the other side of the bed.

“But she doesn’t seem lonely. She even seemed happy living alone.” He mumbled as he focused on the hem of the curtain he is facing. “She is alone all her life. It must really be so hard on her.” He thought.

Then he snapped. “Tch. What are you thinking, Kim Myungsoo? She is still the most annoying girl ever!” He told himself as he messed his hair.

His phone beeped. It was Jiae.

From: Lee Jiae

Hey, babe! Missing me?

L sighed dreamily and placed his phone back to the bedside table. He didn’t even bother to reply. If he said, he does, she will cut her vacation and come back earlier. If he says he doesn’t, they will fight.

So, what is he to reply?

“Just leave it like that.” He told himself as he closed his eyes and went to dreamland.

 

 

 

 

 

 

--------

And hell it is Monday again.

Jaeun’s dreaded day.

Yes. Even geniuses hate school. School is really… Just thinking about going there makes one really lose all his or her energy,

“Why are you looking so tired like that?” Eunmi asked Jaeun as they met each other at the gate of the school.

Jaeun sighed deeply. “I don’t know. I just don’t feel like coming to school.” She groaned.

Eunmi smiled. “Because of L?” She asked.

Jaeun looked at her weirdly. “What are you talking about?” She asked as she scoffed at her friend.

Eunmi smiled again, this time, wider. “I think you and L would be the best partner ever!” She beamed happily as she clapped her hands together.

Jaeun even choked on her saliva upon hearing what her friend said. “Are you nuts?” She asked as she showed Eunmi her ‘that’s the grossest thing I have ever heard’ face.

Eunmi chuckled. “But seriously-“

“NO!” Jaeun cut her. “We are the opposite of one another.” She beamed.

Eunmi pouted. “But, Jaeun, opposites attract.” She said hoping Jaeun would consider the idea.

Jaeun scoffed and shook her head. “What the hell? That’s obviously not in all cases!” She shot back.

Eunmi chuckled. “Why are you so overly defensive? I was just telling you what I am thinking. My opinion.” She explained.

“Why do you keep saying that we look good together?!” Jaeun shot back as she walked away.

Eunmi blinked. “I didn’t even say they look good together. What is she talking about?” She mumbled as she followed Jaeun from behind.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-------

“What country is called the land of the Midnight Sun?” Jaeun asked L as quietly as she could in the library.

There was no place for them to have this session other than the library so, even though neither of them wanted to because they both know that they won’t be quiet no matter what happens, they opted to do it in the library.

L blinked at Jaeun’s question. “Midnight Sun?” he asked in a quiet manner. “Is there something like that?” He asked as he wondered on the names of the countries.

Jaeun sighed and nodded. “There is. That is why I am asking you, right?” She asked in a little irritated tone.

L pretended to think about it. “Midnight Sun? Isn’t that BEAST’s 5th mini album?” He asked.

Jaeun almost banged the 1000 – page book into L’s head upon hearing what he replied. There is no tomorrow to this. There is no hope at all.

“Are you kidding me?” She asked with her voice full of annoyance and irritation. “Take this to the heart, Kim Myungsoo.” She shot as she pointed at the answer.

“Norway?” L asked. “How did that happen?” He asked.

Jaeun ignored his comments and went on to the next question. “What country is called the Land of the Golden Apple?” She asked.

L looked at Jaeun. “Are you kidding me? That’s easy.” He said. “Washington.” He answered correctly.

Jaeun rolled her eyes. “I would kill you if you don’t know that.” She shot back.

L chuckled. “I know.” He replied.

Jaeun rolled her eyes and passed him a test paper again.

“What is this?” L asked.

“Test paper?” Jaeun replied unsure of what L meant with his question.

L rolled his eyes. “I know that this is a test paper. I am not an idiot!” He beamed.

Jaeun widened her eyes in shock. “Oh! You are not?” She asked as if that is the most anticipated revelation of the century.

L glared at her. “What do you mean with that?” He asked.

Jaeun shrugged. “Just answer that and keep your mouth shut. We are inside the library, just so you know.” She reminded.

L sighed and rolled his eyes as he faced the test paper Jaeun made. *What the hell are these?* He thought as he saw different flags he has to determine and identify. *This girl better be kidding me.* He thought as he blinked several times on the paper.

He looked at Jaeun who is now focused on a series of exercise as well. He looked at the exercises she is looking at and focusing at and saw that it is Math.

He smiled. *Yeah right. She hates Math.* HE thought as he focused on his test too.

15 minutes has passed and L didn’t even answered half of the test. Well, it was an exam with 50 flags and he has to identify all of them.

Like what was that about?

Is Jaeun trying to kill him?

He looked at Jaeun and saw that she is struggling just as much as him.

*Why don’t we just exchange exams?* He thought as he put his pen down. He gave up.

Jaeun heard the pen down and looked at L. “Are you done?” She asked.

L gave her a look. “How do you expect me to answer all those flags?” He asked in disbelief.

Jaeun glared at him. “You should know that. That will be our exam in History.” She beamed.

“You should have told me to study beforehand.” He shot back.

Jaeun rolled her eyes. “As if you would study.” She mumbled.

“At least I am not shocked with the content of your exam right?” He shot back.

Jaeun rolled her eyes again. “Yeah. Okay. Study that. I’ll give you the exact test tomorrow.” She said, defeated. “You can go now. Thanks for cooperating.” She said as her attention diverted to the Math problems again.

L stared at her as she solved the problems. “That is not the right way to solve that equation.” He said.

Jaeun looked at him. “Then what?” She asked.

“This.” HE said as he took the pen and wrote the correct equation. “You can’t cross multiply when you transpose first.” He explained. “Cross multiply when they are in fraction form.” He added.

Jaeun looked at L who is now the one lecturing her about Math. Well, yeah. He is great in Math.

And the rest of the time, L was in-charge of the tutor session.

*Thanks, Death Note.*