Denied

Luck And You

“So, here we are.” Jiyong beamed as they stepped out of his car. They are now looking at a huge white house in awe.

Jaeun’s eyes widened. She wasn’t expecting this though. Her brother said they would visit his friend’s clinic. “I thought we are going to your friend’s clinic?” She asked.

Jiyong smirked. “This is his clinic.” He replied as he began to walk to the gate.

Jaeun’s and L’s jaws dropped.

Seriously?

This is as big as the Blue House and you say what? This is just a clinic?

For real?

“Come on. I am so excited for you to meet him.” Jiyong beamed as they entered the ‘clinic’.

The clinic is huge because it is supposed to be a special hospital. I mean, specialized – a specialized hospital. But then, it is not finished yet, so, this just serves as a clinic for now.

It is true that it is as big as the Blue House but hey, what hospital isn’t big right?

L looked at Jaeun who was trembling. He knows how she is feeling right now. She may be looking fierce and all but heck, aside from the fact that she is dazed with the size of the ‘clinic’, she is still nervous about this DNA test.

He smiled and held her hand, squeezing it, giving her assurance.

Jaeun was a bit stunned as L’s fingers laced into hers. She suddenly felt her heart beating faster once more. Well, not that it is not normal when L is around. She looked at L who was giving her an assuring smile.

“I know you’re nervous. But everything will be alright. I will be here for you.” L told her. And in that instant, all the nervousness she is feeling disappeared. She suddenly felt really assured that L will be with her.

See, this is the reason why she thinks Jiyong is just a bonus now.

Because she feels secured when L is with her. He gives her that safe feeling when he holds her. And yes, only L can do that.

Jaeun looked at L and smiled back. How couldn’t she when L’s smile just makes her lost in his eyes?

“Ehem.”

L and Jaeun immediately separated, looking down, really embarrassed, when they heard Jiyong.

Jiyong looked at L from head to toe and back then sighed. “Are you sure you are not dating?” He asked them with a meaningful look.

The two stayed quiet.

Jiyong narrowed his eyes on L. “Hey, are you dating my sister? Why are you holding her hand so casually like that?” He asked.

L laughed awkwardly. How could he answer the question from the brother of the girl he loves?

“Oh, Jiyong hyung! You are here.”

The three looked at the person who talked. He was a tall guy with panda eyes. Guess, being a doctor is hard that he had to burn eyebrows every night and earn those big eye bags, huh?

Jiyong smiled and fist bumped with the guy. “Seungri! Like I said, I would come.” He replied.

Seungri looked at L and Jaeun and smiled. “Hello! I am Seungri, Jiyong’s friend.” He introduced bowing at L and trying to kiss Jaeun’s hand…

However, L didn’t allow that to happen. He immediately caught Seungri’s hand to shake hands with him. Heh. You can’t touch her, Panda.

Jiyong watched L and smiled. *So he likes my sister so much, huh.* He thought as he watched them.

Seungri smiled awkwardly. “Sorry. I thought Jiyong’s sister is single. I didn’t know that she has a boyfriend already.” He apologized.

“What are you saying, Seungri? My sister is not taken. She doesn’t have a boyfriend.” Jiyong butted in. “Right, sis?” He asked Jaeun.

Jaeun’s eyes widened and looked at L. She gulped. “Huh?” She asked back and glanced at L again. “Uh, technically, I don’t.” She replied unsure.

L raised his brow. *Yeah right. We aren’t dating. What are you thinking, Kim Myungsoo?* He thought as a pang of pain of getting denied is eating him up right now. What did he think anyway? It’s not like, Jaeun had told him that she loves him, right? He was the only one who was so vocal on what he feels. What does he expect?

Jiyong looked at L’s expression and smiled. *He must be hurt.* He thought as L’s expression changed drastically. *He should move faster though. Or, is my sister the one who isn’t moving at all?* He thought again as he directed his gaze at Jaeun this time – Jaeun who is looking at L as well.

Seungri laughed. “Oh! I thought he is your boyfriend.” He said as he laughed out loud. “He seems so protective of you.” He added.

L smiled. “No, hyung. I am just protective of her.” He replied trying his best to smile.

Seungri smiled back. “I know those moves dude. Don’t worry.” He replied.

L smiled bitterly. *Yeah. Waiting in vain moves.* He thought as he laughed with Seungri.

Jaeun looked a L. Hello? She can see that L is a bit disappointed of her.

Wait. Who are we kidding?

L is super disappointed of her.

How could she deny him?

But, what can she admit when they are not really official? Okay. So maybe they are feeling the same feelings for each other but they lack the label.

Are they dating?

No.

Jaeun doesn’t know.

To sum them up, they are…

More than friends but less than lovers.

“What are we waiting for? Let’s get your DNA Test started.” Seungri beamed.

Jaeun, Jiyong and L proceeded to the lab.

Jaeun looked around the laboratory. Well, unlike the façade of the clinic, this kind of looks like a real, normal laboratory.

“So, I will be needing your hair.” Seungri beamed at Jiyong and Jaeun.

The siblings nodded and gave him a strand.

Seungri placed the specimen on two different ziplocks. “You sit here and wait for about 45 minutes.” He told them.

Jaeun and L nodded then they sat on the opposite ends of the couch.

Jiyong looked at them. “Ah, Seungri, let me join you.” He said as he slung his arm around Seungri’s shoulder.

“But hyu-“

“Come on, maknae.” Jiyong pulled Seungri into the testing area leaving L and Jaeun alone in the lounge of the laboratory.

Jaeun looked at L who was playing with his phone.

Damn, this awkward atmosphere.  She wants to say something but she can’t talk to him because it is indeed, awkward to talk.

She sighed and took her phone out.

 

To: Death Note Kid

Hey.

 

L looked at the message that popped in the middle of his game. He took a secret glance at her.

 

To: Kwon Jaeun

What?

 

Jaeun almost fainted when she read his reply. Why is he so cold?

 

To: Death Note Kid

Are you mad at me?

 

L raised an eyebrow as he read her question. He scoffed quietly. *I am mad? She’s asking me if I am mad? Unbelievable.*

 

To: Kwon Jaeun

No.

 

Jaeun frowned as she read his message. *He’s upset.* She thought.

 

To: Death Note Kid

Sorry?

 

L’s heart suddenly beat faster as he read her one-word reply. *What is she asking apology for? She didn’t do anything wrong. I was just acting as if I am her boyfriend.* He thought as he typed his reply.

 

To: Kwon Jaeun

You don’t have to be sorry. It’s not like I am mad at you. I just expected something I shouldn’t be expecting.

 

Jaeun read the message and looked at L. She breathed deeply before she got the courage to finally speak.

“Hey.” She muttered softly.

L stopped playing and looked at her. “What?” He replied.

Jaeun gulped. “Sorry?” She asked as she pouted.

L’s heart suddenly melted when he saw her pout. “I told you. You shouldn’t be sorry. It was my fault to expect.” He replied.

Jaeun looked at his eyes. L smiled at her. “It’s fine, okay? You did nothing wrong. It’s true that I am not your boyfriend. Yet. And I told you to wait and make you happy everyday, right? I will. Don’t worry. I am not forcing you.” He told her. “I will wait until you are ready and when your brother – if he really is your brother – approves.” He added with an assuring smile.

Jaeun sighed in relief and smiled. “Thanks.” She replied, meaning it 100%. Why does L make her fluttered this much? Why does he say the right things at the right time?

It’s making her like him more and more. Everyday. Falling deeper.

“Hyung, I think, your sister has found a decent man.” Seungri said as they watched L and Jaeun at the small window.

Jiyong smiled. “I know from the start that he is a decent. However, I want to know how far he can go.” He replied. “Call the boys. I need their help.” He ordered with a grin in his face.