Drifted Away

Luck And You

 

“Hey, I heard you went all the way to the hospital with Jaeun yesterday.” Sungyeol beamed at L in the cafeteria the next day.

L nodded without uttering a word. He was thinking of how Jaeun will be able to manage to come to school today.

She didn’t show up in the first period and L is really worried about her. He doesn’t know why but his heart just feels so nervous about this.

Sungyeol looked at his best friend closely. “Hey, what is bothering you?” He asked.

L shook his head and continued his deep thinking.

Sungyeol narrowed his eyes on L. “Dude, don’t lie to me. I have known you since forever. So don’t you dare lie to me like that.” He said. “I know something is bothering you.” He added.

L sighed. “Okay okay.” He said in defeat.

Sungyeol grinned. “So, what is it that you are thinking?” He asked as he leaned closer in interest.

L sighed again. “I am actually worried at how Kwon Jaeun would be able to make it to school today.” He confessed.

Sungyeol narrowed his eyes on L, giving him a teasing look. “What is this? Are you falling for her already?” He asked going straight to the point.

L rolled his eyes. “What the hell are you talking about?” He asked. “I am just concerned.” He added.

Sungyeol scoffed. *That doesn’t sound like you are concerned of her, moron.* He thought as he observed L’s actions.

“She would probably be at home right now, with difficulty moving because her burns hurt like hell.” Sungyeol remarked.

L’s eyes widened. He even flinched with Sungyeol’s words. “What?!” He asked.

Sungyeol gave him another teasing look. “Why are you worrying like this, L? She’s probably been taken care of her mom by this moment.” He said in a duh tone.

L sighed and looked at Sungyeol. “What mother are you talking about? She is an orphan, moron.” He shot back.

Sungyeol looked at L’s extremely worried face. Never in his life has he seen L act like this. He has never been this nervous and worried. Not even when Jiae fell from the top of the cheering pyramid.

“So, you know her that much to the point that you know that she is an orphan huh?” Sungyeol spat making L flinch again.

L stopped and examined himself. *Why am I this worried anyway?* HE thought to himself. This moment, he couldn’t understand himself. It’s like he is so worried about Jaeun that he couldn’t even think straight without her right now.

Or maybe he was just used to having Jaeun to bicker with around.

But whatever it is, he is still worried about Jaeun now.

Like he would die if Jaeun doesn’t appear today.

Sungyeol was just looking at L. “So? What are you and Jaeun now? How about Jiae?” He interrogated L.

L looked at him in shock. “What are you asking? Jiae is my girlfriend!” He said defensively.

“But you didn’t even talk to her when she was here a while ago!” Sungyeol shot back. “Don’t tell me you are still mad at her for spilling drinks to Jaeun?” He asked.

L couldn’t reply. He was flabbergasted. Yeah, why didn’t he talk to Jiae? Why does he feel this terrible on Jiae? Why does he want to hang Jiae in a pole right now?

Yeap.

She spilled her hot coffee on his tutor, Kwon Jaeun.

But why is he this upset about this? Jaeun is fine now. She has been treated. So, there is nothing to worry about.

Everything should turn back to normal.

But L isn’t.

He couldn’t.

He has taken Jiae’s actions too personally that he doesn’t want to talk to his girl right now anymore.

He is mad. He is upset.

He is more than any negative feeling on Jiae right now.

“JAEUUUUUN!!!!!”

L turned to the direction of the voice quickly once he heard that name.

It was Eunmi running to her close friend who is walking to school with a bandage in her arm.

“Hey! Why didn’t you attend first subject? I was so worried I want to call Minwoo to check you in your apartment!” Eunmi cried as she hugged Jaeun.

Eunmi looked at Jaeun. “Gosh! I thought you would be confined to the hospital yesterday!” She beamed. “Thank God you only got bandages!” She added as she hugged Jaeun again.

Jaeun smiled. “I’m fine. You don’t have to worry.” She assured. “I just woke up late. That’s why.” She reasoned. *And received tons of calls and messages from the jerk.* She continued in her thoughts.

Eunmi sighed in relief. “Thank GOD! I thought something worse happened to you!” She cried.

Jaeun chuckled. “Don’t worry. I’m here now.” She assured. “Let’s walk to class?” She asked Eunmi, who enthusiastically nodded and slung her arms on Jaeun’s.

L, who was watching from afar, sighed silently in his seat in relief. *She woke up late. I thought something bad happened to her.* He thought as he felt relieved of his burden now.

Sungyeol shook his head. “So are you relived now?” He asked L. “Geez! You should’ve seen yourself. Your eyes are of a puppy’s.” He added.

L glared at Sungyeol as he took his bag and prepared to go. “I’m going to class.” L said as he walked first.

Sungyeol’s eyes widened. “Hey wait! Myungsoo!!” He yelled as he hurriedly packed all his things inside his bag and ran after L.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“As you can see the lead of the story had lost his strength in life because of a loss of a loved one. He didn’t even dare to fix his hygiene and all because of depression.” Mr. Lim expressed. “So, right now, I want you all to make a reaction and reflection paper about depression.” He added as everyone groaned in their seats.

“Note that depression can lead to a lot of worse things. So, you all have to let all of what is inside you in this paper. Depression shouldn’t be kept. It should be suppressed.” Mr. Lim continued.

“I will be needing your works next on the 20th.” He said. “Okay, class, dismiss.” He ended.

The students immediately packed their things as they hurried to get out of the class.

“L, someone is outside.” Sunggyu told L who was busy packing his things too.

L looked at the leader. “Who?” He asked in curiosity.

Sunggyu gave him a look and with that he already knew.

“Okay.” L said as he slung his bag and went out.

Jaeun looked at L who seemed to be so pissed at this someone who is waiting for him outside right now. *Why is he acting like that?* She thought curiously as she shrugged and continued on fixing her things.

She walked outside to go home when she heard people shouting.

“WHY AREN’T YOU TALKING TO ME, KIM MYUNGSOO!?” Someone cried.

It was a girl’s voice.

Jiae’s to be exact.

Jaeun was so sure about that devil’s voice. She had memorized that tone with her life as a worker in their café.

She continued walking but then she couldn’t help herself to stop and listen to this argument. She was curious, okay!

So, Jaeun hid behind the wall and listened.

“You were overboard out there, Jiae. You shouldn’t have done that.” L kept his cool and replied.

Jiae scoffed. “That’s it? Why didn’t you just tell me?! Why did you have to treat me coldly, huh?!” She asked breaking down.

L sighed. “Don’t be like this, Jiae.” He said.

Jiae looked at him. “Don’t be like this?! Then what do you want? Do you expect me to be okay after being set aside by you? You just didn’t think of me that way, Kim Myungsoo!” She shot at L.

L looked at her. “Stop this okay! You are getting meaner by the minute!” He said. “I don’t like it! I don’t like you messing with anyone innocent. That’s just…” He paused. “That’s just clear and complete stupidity.” He said.

Jiae scoffed. “What?!” She hissed, her voice cracked.

L looked at the ground. He doesn’t want to say anything any further.

“So what now? What do you want?” Jiae asked.

L looked at her. “I need space.” He replied. He is getting it. He is beginning to be clear about things.

“SPACE?!” Jiae screamed in disbelief. “You just didn’t tell me you needed space!” She yelled again.

“I just did.” L replied. He doesn’t really want to break Jiae’s heart like this. He LOVED her. She is still his girl.

Jiae scoffed. “I don’t want you to have space. I don’t want a cool off.” She reiterated.

L looked at her. “Then a breakup then?” He asked, leaving himself with no choice. He had finally understood himself. He finally understood what he is feeling.

His love for Jiae had drifted apart.

Drifted away.

“What?” Jiae asked in disbelief. She couldn’t digest anything that is coming from L’s mouth right now.

She couldn’t.

She can’t.

She wouldn’t.

Not in a million years.

“Let’s just break up. I am tired of all of this anyway. So let’s end this.” L said, concluding and repeating.

Jiae looked at him in shock and disbelief. “No, you don’t know what you are talking about Kim Myungsoo.” She said shaking her head.

She wouldn’t agree on this.

“I believe I know.” L replied. “Let’s break up, Lee Jiae. Let’s stop this game. We both know we don’t like this anymore.” He added as he turned to leave.

Jiae scoffed. “Shut up, Kim Myungsoo.” She shot making L stop. She couldn’t just agree on something like this.

She looked at L with her eyes narrowed and sorrowful and emotional. The first time L saw this look on Jiae. “You like someone else, don’t you?” She asked.

L didn’t answer. He doesn’t like anyone. HE knows he doesn’t like anyone. Yet.

He just couldn’t take Jiae’s attitude. She is getting more evil by the minute. He just couldn’t imagine himself having a girl like her. Not now at least.

“Remember this day, L. You won’t get another girl after me.” Jiae strongly said. More like a threat. “Remember that.” She added.

L sighed. “Just be happy, Jiae. Goodbye. See you around.” He said as he walked to someone he wanted and has been dying to go to.