Wait for me

Unwanted Attention

Fourty Eight

 

“Here.” Shin Hye handed him canned coffee. Kai just stared straight ahead but Shin Hye kept her outstretched hand and Kai decided to take the beverage from her.

 

The airport was busy with people trying to catch up to their flight, some are squealing with delight upon finally be home with their families. Even though a lot people surrounded him and Shin Hye was practically beside him, he felt alone.

He checked his watch. Thirty minutes from now, he’d be boarding the plane and who knows when he will comeback. Unknowing to his eyes, Shin Hye had been staring at him for a while now, contemplating on the feelings of doubt she also felt inside. She was a woman in love, but she isn’t stupid enough to keep chasing false hopes. She had thoughts of giving up but all of her efforts would be wasted if she did. She thought that she was utterly pathetic.

 

***

 

 

Lay sat on a bench, fighting his eyes to stay awake. He hadn’t had much sleep today since he practiced dancing all day.

 

“Lay!” His eyes jolted awake and saw Soori approaching.

“Well, you’re early.” He joked but Soori still had an uneasy look on her face.

“Lay…has something happened to him?” She asked worriedly.

Lay smiled. Ah, couples.  “Last time I checked, he’s still alive.”

She sighed. “Just please tell me.”

“I can’t”

“Why?”

“Why don’t you call that unknown number, then maybe you’d find answers.”

Soori felt a bit stupid not thinking about that. Hesitantly, she reached for her phone, stared a bit on the number, and then called.

A few rings turned to excruciatingly long ones. The other line finally accepted the call but hadn’t said anything.

“He...llo?” She said a bit carefully. Still no answer. “Kai?”

“Jongin?” How Kai loved it when she says his real name. “Hey, the message you sent me…I don’t understand anything.” Her voice was a bit frantic mixed with worry.

“Jongin?” Soori sent a worried look to Lay. “Jongin? Please just…tell me.”

 

“I’m leaving for Canada right now.”

 

***

 

“What do you mean you forgot his flight?!” The wind was hitting her face as she ran quickly hoping to catch him in time. After saying that, Kai immediately hang up the phone. But she wasn’t the type of girl to let things end with a vague conclusion. She had to talk to him. She had to.

 

“Look, it’s not my fault that I’m a bit forgetful okay.” Soori sent him a glare.

 

“Okay, maybe a lot.” Soori elbowed his ribs.

“Ow! Okay okay! I’m that kind of person. You can’t change that!” She scoffed.

She made a sharp turn and Lay was having a bit of trouble catching up with her. Soori immediately asked about the schedule for the flight for Canada and she learned that the plane would be leaving in ten minutes.

“Soori” She looked at Lay who was catching his breath. “Punch him for me, will you”

Soori smiled and ran.

 

 

 

“Kai? It’s time to go.”

He looked up at Shin Hye. “Uh, you go first. I…I’m just gonna catch up later.”

She eyed him skeptically. “You’re not gonna bail on the flight are you?”

“No.” And it was true.

As soon as Shin Hye left, he checked his watch. Only five minutes left. His thoughts were cut off when he saw a little girl who looked so much like Soori. He chuckled. The little girl saw him chuckling and struck out her tongue to him, making weird faces. Even if they looked alike, Soori was a bit tamer than her. But he kept on laughing at the child. It made him temporarily forget about things.

 

 

Soori was almost out of breath until she saw a familiar silhouette. Her strength was wavering but she still had much energy left to do what she had to do. His back was facing her as she walked towards him. His back was still as broad as she first saw him in the corridors. You could make out his shoulder blades from underneath his black shirt. And don’t forget that black wristband he always wore. It makes him Kai.

It makes him who he really is, Jongin.

Suddenly, her steps seemed to slow down. But she remembered there isn’t much time left. Kai let out a sigh and started walking.

A hand abruptly clasped his shoulder. He stopped and looked behind, but he wasn’t able to see the person when a punch was thrown on his face, which landed on his cheek.  Kai let out a grunt while clutching his cheek and saw the person who did it.

“Soori?” Her eyes were kind of watery.

“Lay told me to give you a punch.” She sniffed.

“And this” She threw yet another punch. “is for being a jerk!”

“Ow! Soori! Wait! Hey! Stop!” Soori kept on punching him and even managed to throw in some kicking.

“How. Dare. You. Not. Tell. Me” She said in between punches.

Kai caught her wrists preventing her from smacking him. Then she started to cry in front of him. She cursed herself for doing this but it felt relieving for letting out these locked up feelings.

“You could at least tell me you were leaving.” She sobbed and Kai hugged her tight. He

“I know. I am a jerk.” He nuzzled his face on her neck. “Just wait for me. I’ll come back and get you.”

Soori looked at him and nodded.

Five minutes was over and he needed to board the plane.

“Wait for me” He kissed her fully before walking away and getting on to the plane.

 

 

 

“How tragic.” Shin Hye watched the two of them with eyes filled with longing. She wanted to tear them apart. But aside from not wanting to cause a scene, she also thought if it would be worth it. If she continues this would she be able to achieve happiness?

“I guess not.”