Her favorite book

Unwanted Attention

Four

 

 

“Sorry Miss Song, but I’m not going to tutor him.”

“How about, I’m going to give you some extra credits for this, don’t you want that?” Miss Song was tired of convincing Soori to tutor Jongin. And he doesn’t want any tutor besides this person.

Grades were important to Soori. She referred it as matter of life and death. A grade decreased to even one unit, is shameful. An extra credit for tutoring Kai? Now, that is suicide. But she’s lingering on the extra credit part though.

Miss Song is now making weird faces. Soori thought she was using aegyo. Oh no, that is just too childish.

Finally giving up, “Okay, I’ll do it, just….just don’t do aegyo on me.”

The teacher’s face immediately lit up. “Thank you Soori-ah!”

Soori hated aegyo of all things. She hates all the cutesy stuff ever invented. Her parents are the complete opposite. They would often display too much PDA when they were still living with her. Lingering stares, holding hands while walking, kissing each other at random times, were the things she often noticed. She hates it yeah, but she also takes it as a sign of love. Pure love that does exist in reality.  Will she ever find the same thing? Will she even experience it? Who knows?

As she was about to leave the teacher called her, “By the way, you’ll start tutoring him this coming Monday.”

She nodded and went out. She was so going to find him. The anger she felt right now, is purely out of Kai’s mischievous acts. Talking to him, or reprimanding him, might be the best solution for now.

 

There he is, sitting and laughing with his friends. Doesn’t he ever consider other people’s feelings? How can he just do everything to his own accord just because he has money, and face ?

Luhan noticed her approaching, he put up a smirk. “Well, well, what do we have here?”

Kai looked up. He was pretty surprised to see her at lunch.

“Kai, can we talk?”

“Sure, go ahead.” Kai smirked at his friends. “Alone.”  He immediately wiped his smirk and followed her to somewhere they can talk undisturbed. 

“I’m going to tutor you.” It felt sick saying this to him. it’s like giving up to his commands or something.

“I knew you’d give in.” Kai felt extremely elated knowing that Soori could somehow be convinced. He even suggested that Miss Song would give her some extra credit, knowing that she would do anything for her grades. Typical Soori, Kai chuckled.

He heard her sigh. “Well, I’m just gonna tutor you in the library after school.”

“Sure, whatever you say.” Anywhere as long as I can annoy you. But Kai didn’t say that of course.

Soori constricted her eyes. “If you try anything funny, I’m going to kill you.” Killing Kai would be a pleasure to her.  

Ooh, Kai was twice as amused than before. Kill him, you say? Well, Kai just wanted to mess with her.

“Good luck killing me then.”

 

 

****

 

The smell of old books is like recalling old memories. The paper that tarnished to yellow contains many words that tell a story. Stories that makes one wonder, what happens next? Turning the pages one by one while reading its content. And who knows, one might end up with a suspense, romance or comedy. She knows she read this book a lot of times, but it is her favorite, no one could really blame her.

Pride and Prejudice.

Memorizing some of her favorite lines and feels giddy afterwards. She was in the public library on a weekend morning. Soori felt at ease being in her own environment. People minding their own business as usual, trying to be quiet, so you won’t be kicked out.

A little more, then Soori can finally get her book. Why does it have to be placed on a high shelf? She could feel her fingers grazing the book’s end. Then, bang! The book hit her head. Ouch, that got to hurt.

“Here.” A person held out her book. He looked familiar.

She kept staring at his serene face. Have she seen him before? “Uh, thanks.”

“Pride and prejudice huh? Haven’t read that book for a long time” Soori stopped rubbing her head.

“Y-you read this?” she was astonished. He was a boy. And boys don’t like books with genres such as this.

“Ah, I remember one quote, ‘A lady's imagination is very rapid; it jumps from admiration to love, from love to—’”

“Matrimony, in a moment”  Soori mumbled being amazed by this guy. He looks young. Maybe they have the same age. He has a pallid color which adds up to his serene appearance and also his personality. His hair was ruffled by the curls he has.

Smiling, the boy replied, “It’s nice isn’t it?” Soori carefully gazed at him. He looks more of an angel by every second that passed. Those little dimples she noticed where accentuating his face even more.

“Well, it is my favorite.” She shyly admitted.

“Mine too.” Boys like him don’t exist. Not in in this generation. All of them like and food, nothing else. Okay, maybe, money, girls and . Yes, definitely . Boys her age, have overflowing amount of hormones.

Shaking her head, maybe this guy’s not real. Maybe she was imagining things. But then Soori realized she hadn’t had any interaction with guys, so she doesn’t know what they really are. She has to admit that she’s a bit judgmental sometimes.

“You’re probably wondering why I read classical novels, right?” Jackpot.

“Um, not really. I mean…yeah.”

He chuckled. An angel, that’s what he probably is, an angel. An angel hiding his wings underneath his shirt.

“Do you come here often?” she asked, trying to avoid an awkward silence.

He shook his head. “Not so much though.”

Ah, so that’s probably why she hasn’t noticed him before. Usually she would be familiar with the people coming here, to the point where she interacted with some ahjummas.

“I think I saw you from somewhere.” Soori blurted out.

The boy smiled.

“I’m Lay, Kai’s friend.”

Okay. Did she just hear that he’s Kai’s friend? Soori expectation of Kai’s friends: just like him, a jerk. But Lay’s a different one, way too different.

“But my real name is Zhang Yixing”

“You’re Chinese?”

Lay nodded.

Now, Lay knows why Kai was entranced with this girl. She was weird. But then she has something uncommon to the girls in their school. The first thing he noticed about her was that, she wasn’t wearing any make up. Most girls with her facial features have tons and tons of make up applied, wanting to become more attractive, but instead it did the opposite.

“What brings you to like this genre then?” Soori broke of Lay’s thoughts.

“I don’t know really.” He truthfully admitted.

“Me too” Soori laughed. Her laugh was contagious. It made him laugh along with her. Lay wondered why Kai likes to , when it’s much more appealing to see her smile or laugh rather than be mad. Kai sure is strange, Lay thought.

And for the first time ever, Soori find it comfortable being in a boy’s presence. She thought that maybe all boys don’t have to be like the monsters she imagined, maybe they can be angels.

 

 

 


Okay, here's the 4th chapter. I honestly don't know what I'm writing. loljk. I just hope someone comments /sigh/

and by the way, I haven't really read pride and predujice so, yeah, please don't question me about it. I just researched some qoutes and its plot. LOL