Strangers

Unwanted Attention

Fourty Seven

 

“I guess this would be the last day that I’ll be wearing you huh.” Soori glided her fingers in her uniform.

 

Today is graduation day, and it doesn’t seem exciting as much as it was before. But at least her parents are here with her making her feel less lonely. Though, she had thought a lot about what would Kai’s plans be? She bet he’ll be attending a prestigious school here, and continue his engagement with Shin Hye. At least he’s not going anywhere far. Or so she thought.

“Soori! Are you spacing out again? It’s almost time, you should get ready now.” Soori chuckled.

“Neh,omma!”

 

Soori suddenly received a message from Lay.

From Lay:

Are you, in any way, upset right now?

She furrowed her eyebrows. She wasn’t. Well, except for the breakup and such.

To Lay:

No, why?

 

From Lay:

Nothing, nevermind.

Soori shrugged and decided to get ready since her mother’s been nagging her nonstop.

 

***

 

Before the actual ceremony began, Lay searched for Kai among the students who packed the hall. Struggling not to step on anyone’s shoes, Lay finally found the guy and tapped him on the shoulder. But before he could talk to him, Exo came rushing and talking to both of them at once.

“Lay! Kai! You guys have been ignoring us lately.” Baekhyun pouted.

“Yeah.” Chanyeol chimed in.

All of them broke into whines that Lay couldn’t tolerate anymore. But Suho suddenly said something.

“By the way, Kai. I heard you were leaving for Canada?” Kai’s eyes grew wide. The rest of the boys whined that they would miss him, and please don’t go.

“Lay told us yesterday.” Xuimin said.

Lay absolutely forgot that part, but it’s true, he did tell them, accidentally.

Kai sighed and walked away.

“Look, I can explain!”  Lay went after him.

“If Kai’s leaving, then at least he could see Kris there.” Chanyeol sighed. But he earned a glare from everyone else.

 

 

 

Lay didn’t have the chance to explain as the students were asked to gather up already for the ceremony.

 

As soon as it started, everyone was on their seats, waiting for their name to be called. Some students felt like it was the end. Some felt like it was a start of a new chapter. After the ceremony, students stood up from their seats and hugged each other tight, thinking that they would miss the times they spent together. Saying goodbye isn’t painful, but it’s the thought that they could never rewind the past and go back to those good old times. They’ll be leaving high school and enter a new level of life.

 

“Soori, if you try to ignore us even once, we will kick your .” Miyoung cried nonstop while hugging Soori and Jihyun.

“Yeah, and we’ll beat the life out of you.” Jihyun sniffed.

 

“You guys…” Soori chuckled and then ended up crying as well.

 

After their crying session, her friends bid her goodbye and went on her own to find her parents. Her eyes caught a familiar person who was standing all by himself. He looked breathtaking as usual. She stared for a while and then walked away like how strangers treat each other.

 

Kai didn’t know what to say, but he waited for her. From the corner of his eyes, he knew she was there, staring at him.  When she turned away, he felt regret for not stopping her while clenching and unclenching his fists.

Lay’s words kept ringing on his mind. It was annoying but he was right. Lay was always right.

He fished his phone out from his pocket and composed a message that took him a lot of time to make.

 

***

 

 

“What are you doing here?”

 

“I’m going with you duh”

 

Oh right, I forgot.  Shin Hye arrived at the Kim’s residence bringing some heavy luggage which Kai guessed was full of clothes. He also forgot that he was still engaged to this credulous human being, and she was going to Canada. With him. And on the same school. Now, isn’t that appalling?

Unable to stand her presence anymore, Kai went up to his room and locked the door. He plopped on his bed and opened the draft section of his phone. The screen displayed his message that hasn’t been send yet. His thumb has been hovering over the send button for quite a few minutes.

 

Send.  

 

***

Soori went upstairs and in to her room. Before calling it a day, she checked her phone which was lying on her desk for about three hours now since the dinner she had with her parents. Three messages appeared on the screen and she checked out the first two ones which were from Jihyun and Miyoung. She laughed at the comedic messages they sent. Now, on to the third message.

 

Soori’s eyebrows furrowed. The message was from an unregistered number. The clock on her phone showed 11:26 pm.

 

 

 

[Unknown number] 8:31 pm:

Since I’m unable to say goodbye to you with a smile on my face, I’m just going to say it here.

Goodbye :)

 

 

 

She didn’t realize that she was staring at her phone until she felt a single tear slide on her cheek. Of course she knew who it was. It’s kind of ironic she thought. But why on earth would he send this?

 

She blinked her eye multiple times before she had remembered the mysterious text Lay had sent to her earlier. Her fingers punched in his number and waited for him to answer.

 

“What’s up?” Lay answered rather groggily.

 

“Lay, I just received a…disturbing message and I was hoping you could tell me everything I’ve been missing out on.” She paced around, not exactly getting the whole picture.

“Well…umm…you see, I’m not in the right position to tell you everything.”

Soori was a bit angry. She didn’t care if he doesn’t have the right. She just wanted to know what’s going on because a lot of rash ideas are popping out of her mind. And she felt that something was utterly wrong. Very wrong.  “Meet me at the playground right now, bye.”

 

 

Lay could only groan in response.

 

 

 


Sorry if I haven't been updating lately, it's just that out internet connection has it's problems. Sorry T__T