Tell me

Unwanted Attention

Thirty Eight

 

As he was walking alone, he couldn’t stop thinking about Soori’s actions and how weird that she went to his house. He couldn’t quite put a finger on it but he knew something was up. If he asked her, surely she would never admit it to him. He took a seat under the shade of a tree and the dog sat with him too.

“You’re a lucky one, you know that?” The dog just stuck out its tongue, panting. “You don’t have to worry about things, just food, sleep, and poop.” He sighed. He really wanted to see her right now, and ask her what’s wrong. He just couldn’t leave her looking like that.

Far away, he saw someone familiar. As if on cue, he saw Soori running desperately, her head going on from side to side. He got to his feet and rapidly approached her.

 

***

“They said I could find him here…but where is he?” Soori muttered impatiently.

Suddenly, a hand holds her arm. “Where is who?” Soori whipped her head and saw him. Her heart went fast and she immediately jumped and linked her arms through his neck, hugging him. Kai was astonished and he quickly circled his arms around her waist to balance them both.

“Kai.” Her voice broke.

He chuckled. “Hey, what’s wrong?”

“Tell..me..” She mumbled something he couldn’t understand.

“Tell you what?” He asked.

Soori looked up at him and put a little distance between them. “Tell me how serious you are with me.”  There, she said it. She didn’t want to ask him about him being engaged and stuff. She wanted to ask him his feelings. Sunyoung was right, even though she and Kai are together she still have some insecurities inside.

Kai looked at her flushed face. It was kind of…cute.

He didn’t make his reply yet.

Sensing this, Soori followed up another order. “Tell me…that I’m not just some girl you’re messing around with.” She looked at his eyes. Her tears looked like they’re about to fall. “Because if you ask me, I’m falling deeper into this pit and I don’t know….. if I …if I ..can come back up anymore.”

Good thing, there weren’t many people around this area, if not then, they’ll surely give them weird looks.

Kai looked at her intently, memorizing each and every detail of her face. It’s a rare moment to see her like this. Seriously, through all the things he did for her, she still hasn’t gotten that idea out of her head.

He smiled. “Come.” Soori stared at his outstretched hand.

“Oh come on.” He couldn’t wait for her hand to accept his, so he grabbed hers and started walking.

“Wait, where are we going?”

He turned to face her and winked. “It’s a secret.”

“Seriously, Kai. Can’t you stop playing around for once and give me your answer?” She snapped and snatched her hand away.

Kai stopped walking and then she stopped too. Why did she have to say that? But it’s too late now. Kai, she noticed, was still facing his back to her. “I am being serious.” He turned around and caught her hand again. “Now, let’s go!”

She can’t give in to him. He needs to provide her an answer first.

 

****

Kai had dragged her to the train station and she figured that they may be going somewhere far. She really wanted to ask him but she couldn’t. Her pride keeps on getting on the way.

The train was crowded and it forced them to stand up.

As they were standing up, Soori can’t really balance herself from all the people pushing in and out from the train. One passenger passed by and pushed Soori to tip off her balance. But Kai was quick enough to not let it happen. He shielded her with his back.

“You can hold on to me.” Soori, however, was still stubborn and mad. Kai inwardly chuckled. He held her hand and placed it on his arm. And he took a step closer. Really close that he could smell her hair.

 

After a few minutes, they arrived to their destination. Kai never forgot to hold her hand tight as they went their way outside.

All she could see was an open field and the sky. Kai kept dragging her until she could see a sole tree with a flower garden nearby.

“Here we are.” He faced her. “My answer is in here. I call this ‘paradise’” He grinned.

Soori didn’t respond.

“Wait here.” He ran to the flowers and picked up a brown colored one.

He came back smiling. “Do you know what this is?”

“No.”

He laughed. “I thought you’re an honor student.”

She blankly stared and he stopped laughing ending in an awkward tone.

“This is flower is called Chocolate Cosmos. It’s famous for its chocolaty smell.”

She took the flower and smelled it. Indeed, it smelled like chocolates.

“It’s my favorite.” He sat on the grass and she did too. “Actually, this place is my favorite. No one knew I came here often, until now.”

“You’re the first girl I dragged in here, the first girl whom my mother really liked, the first girl whom my members were really fond of, and….” He trailed off.

“The first girl who made my heart beat fast like this.” He took her hand and laid it on his chest. She could feel his heart beating loud. Her eyes found his as she looked up.

“I have met so many girls before you. And there could have been many girls in the world that can change me, but it’s you. It’s you whom fate let me meet and change.” He looked up at the sky. “I promised myself years ago, that if this heart ever starts beating again, I wouldn’t let go of that person who did this.”

“Honestly, I’m quite jealous of Lay too.” He surprised her.

“Why?”

“Well, to start off, you share the same interests. Books, music, school. You two got along real fast. He treated you as how a gentleman should be meanwhile; me. I’m just acting like a kid.”

He ruffled her hair. “I’ll give you flowers everyday. Give you chocolates everyday and even treat you to your favorite yogurt shop everyday. As long as you’re gonna believe how serious I am about you.”

 

****

The ride home was still full with people but even more this time. Kai did what he did before.

Soori was still thinking about Kai’s words. She didn’t respond to him after he poured his heart out to her. Honestly, she felt like crying. She wanted to cry even before they went there. Unable to control her feelings anymore, she leaned her head on his chest and started crying. Her grip on his arm loosened and her arms hugged him instead.

“Angel?” Kai removed his other hand from the railing and put it around her.

“I’m sorry for—“ She hiccupped. “—acting so childish.”

He chuckled a bit.

 “And stop laughing.” She sniffed.

He let out a deep breath. “What am I going to do about you.” He murmured and hugged her tight.

All the time, his smile never left his face.