Decisions

Unwanted Attention

Fourty One

 

 

 

Kai panted hard when he arrived. In order to numb the feeling he ran until it faded away.

Why was Shin Hye acting that way? He was utterly surprised that she could do something like that. It wasn't like her. It wasn't the Shin Hye he knew.

Still tired, Kai still managed to freshen himself up and watch some late night TV. But his focus wasn't on the show. He was more fixated on his thoughts about how wrong he was for kissing Shin Hye back, even if he was under some drug.

It would be unfair for her.

But he forgot something. He still hadn't met the person his dad said. But the only person who approached him was Shin Hye. Perhaps, it was Shin Hye he was supposed to meet?

But it doesn't make sense.

 

 

****

 

How would someone feel if he or she is the only thing that's supposed to be eliminated from the story in order for everyone to be happy? It might be painful but someone has got to do it. Yet, sometimes it’s a bit too overrated.

"Soori? You'll be late for school if you don't get ready now." Her mother peaked at her from the doorway. She noticed that Soori has been staring at her phone, never uttering a word.

 

Then Soori decided to get up, still confused on what she must do.

After a few minutes, Soori descended from the stairs and grabbed a toast from the kitchen table.

 

"Are you sure you're alright?"

"Yes, mom. I'm fine, really" Soori gave her thumbs up and a rather forced smile.

 

Before her mother could ask her further questions, she grabbed her bag and immediately left for school. While kicking on random stones, she thought that maybe she and Kai might have met at the wrong time.

Everything's so complicated that she's also losing hope. She hated this. She's supposed to be strong but it just isn't right. It's not right for his father to suffer like this.

 

She had heard so an ample amount of news about their company's state and all she could feel was guilt.

Soori was too busy walking that she didn't notice someone in front of her until she stopped.

 

"Hey"

"Shin Hye? What are you doing here? In front of our school?"  

"I've got some business." She smiled. And that business meant Kai.

Right on cue, Kai also arrived and saw them. The first thing he did was to call Soori and approach her.

"Angel!"

"Angel?" Shin Hye wondered.  Kai actually overlooked her.

"You two know each other?" Soori nodded meekly. She still wasn’t sure how to face Kai.

"So why angel?" Shin Hye couldn’t help but be curious. By Soori, did Kai mean the Soori she is friends with?

"Because were dating" Kai happily slung his arm on Soori and tried his hardest not to bring up what happened last night.

Shin Hye was surprised but it wasn’t enough to make her back down.

“Oh? Is that so? I thought you were the type of person who hates this type of guys Soori-ah!” She laughed mockingly. Soori just avoided her eyes and wanted to end this conversation soon.

“Would you look at the time, I have to go now.” Shin Hye said. “But before I forget, Kai?”

“Mmm?”

She handed him his jacket. “You left this at my car last night, while we were too busy letting out some steam” She winked, turned around and left.

But Soori suddenly went stiff after hearing that. Kai felt her but he was surprised when she just giggled.

“Were going to be late.” She then walked fast leaving him behind.

“Wait, angel! This isn’t what you think! I can explain.” She stopped then turned to face him.

She produced a smile. “I know. It’s okay. You don’t need to explain everything.” She left him behind again.

Kai noticed the difference between her usual smile and the one she did right now. It was empty and dull. But he cleared his mind with those thoughts and caught up to her.

 

****

Unknowing to Kai’s eyes, Soori received a message from Shin Hye saying that they should catch up later. They agreed to meet up at a café after school and talk about whatever they could.

Kai was still worried about Soori’s actions. She’s different today. She became forgetful and very clumsy which she wasn’t to start off with and she just kept on staring off to space. Her friends started noticing these as well but they were just clueless. He thought that maybe what happened with him and Shin Hye did affect her a lot.

Once they were dismissed, he immediately went to her.

“Hey, listen can we talk?”

“Sure” She nonchalantly replied.

“About what happened between Shin Hye and me….We only..kissed and that was it!” He panicked. “I swear and I’m really really sorry about that.” He trailed off.

“I said it’s okay” She gave him a sweet smile but it seemed hollow. “I can’t go home with you today, I have to meet with my mom who err…just came back.” She immediately packed her things and grabbed her bag.

 “Bye.” In a flash, she ran and the only thing Kai could do was sigh. Why does she feel so distant today?

****

It was weird not talking to him. It was weird not being her usual self with him today. She didn’t know how she could face him with all the information she knew and all the decisions she couldn’t make.

The reason why she agreed to meet up with Shin Hye today was to ask her some questions. And this thought has been nagging behind her head all day.

Is she the one Kai’s engaged to?

Soori arrived at the café and Shin Hye immediately saw her. She went and took a seat across her.

“I’m glad you accepted my invitation.” She took the menu. “So, shall we order?”

After the orders were made, Soori was having a hard time doing what was supposed to do. She was fidgeting and she avoided looking directly on Shin Hye. Their orders arrived and then Shin Hye spoke.

“It’s so nice to hang out with an old friend.”

Soori just smiled.

“I didn’t know you were dating Kai.” She sipped on her drink. “Just like my sister did, Sunyoung.”

Soori was startled. “Sister?”

Shin Hye nodded. “I met Kai through my sister. Although he was a bit of bad boy back then, he was still sweet.” Soori noticed Shin Hye’s voice became softer.

“I’m just going to be frank with you.”

Soori looked at her. “Break up with him.”

“Excuse me?”

“I guess you want your parents to lose their jobs again?”

“You were the one behind that?” Despicable.

“Well, Mr. Kim did, but I whined to my father to make sure Kai’s not attached to anybody. And then he went to see Mr. Kim.” She smirked.

“So you’re the one he’s engaged with.”

“Bingo!” Shin Hye Laughed. “Took you long enough, huh”

“Say..” Shin Hye continued. “Will you reconsider my offer? Or do you want your parents to suffer as again? Or maybe your friends?”

“I..don’t understand..”

“You see Soori, you’re the only person who’s supposed to be removed in order for people to go back to their original state. You break up with Kai, Kai ends up with me, Mr. Kim’s company gets money, company saved! See, how simple? And the process starts with you. If you don’t act now, surely, a lot of people would have to do something to get you going.”

“It doesn’t make sense—“

“Oh it does, really. Think about Kai’s future. If their company keeps going downhill, think about what will happen to him. He’ll probably handle these matters on his own since his father is physically ill. Think about how much suffering he would have to face if you keep going on like this. Do you want him that way? Or you could just break up with him, let him go and let him live his life successfully.”

 

 

Think about it Soori.

Think.

“You’re right.”

She suppressed her tears while smiling bitterly. “I hope…”

She continued. “I hope… you’ll make him happy.”