Fever

Unwanted Attention

Thirty

 

“I wonder if Soori’s home already.” Kai sighed as he fumbled through his phone. He was happy that she finally made some friends since she was a loner and all. But he still felt a little lonely; after all, he really wanted to spend time with her always.

“Yah, why are you even here?” Luhan whined. Since Kai doesn’t know what to do with his free time he went to Luhan’s place to hang out for a while.

“Is it a crime to hang out with my precious friend?” Kai pathetically held a hand over his heart pretending to be a drama king.

“Seriously, you at acting. Stop it. I wonder how Soori could put up with you.”

Suddenly, Kai’s phone rang. “Ah, it must be her.” He happily checked on his phone and much to his dismay, it was his father calling him.

“What’s wrong? Aren’t you gonna answer that?”

“It’s my father.”

After a few rings, he answered the call. His father’s voice was nothing but ice. It was cold as ice.

“Son.”

“Yes, father.”

“I want to have a word with you. Come home immediately.” He wanted to protest and he wanted to ignore this but he knew his mother would’ve just insisted him nonstop to just come and see his father.

After a long pause he agreed. “Yes, father. I’ll be there.”

And the line went dead.

“Since, when were you an obedient son?”

“Nahh, I’m just messing with the old man. Anyways, thank you for letting me crash for a while but the old man’s got a request. Later.” He picked up his things and then went out.

 

“Yeah sure, anytime.”

 

 

A few minutes later he arrived at their house. He was as usual greeted by their maids and his mother immediately hugged him asking him about his health. One thing for sure, his mother’s still the same.

“I thought you wouldn’t come.”

“Well, it’s just this once umma.”

After a brief interaction Kai went upstairs to his father’s office room. When he was a kid he hated this place, because it was so gloomy, until now too. Upon nearing the room, he heard his father talking to one of his clients. He came in and his father immediately took notice of his presence.

“Okay, I’ll talk to you later.” He cut off their conversation and faced his son. “You came. I thought you might need some persuasion but it turns out I was wrong this time.”

“Cut the crap and go straight to the point old man.” Kai flopped himself on the couch.

His father fixed his glasses. This person seemed to have blocked out all of his emotions. “So, you’re grades have improved. I knew you were just purposely failing.” He went around his desk and leaned on it.

“So?”

“Starting next week, I’m going to hand some of my job to you as a practice for when you would actually take over the business.”

“And what if I don’t?”

His father replied flatly. “You know what I’m capable of doing.”

Kai never underestimates his father. He’s much of an influential man. He could do anything just to get what he wants.

 

 

 

“I understand.” Kai gave up.

Still not showing any emotions, his father went on explaining him on what and what not to do. Of course, Kai already knew those things. His mind can’t help but stare off, wondering what plans have his father already made for him.

 

 

****

 

 

The continuous patting of the rain woke her up. She remembered being drenched by the same rain last night when she came home. It was stupid of her to have forgotten her umbrella.  She had no other choice but to just run. She tried waiting for a bus but most of them were full.

“Until now, it’s still raining.” Soori quickly lay back down to her bed to prevent the queasiness building up.  She’s sick and everything seems to spin around as she tried standing up.

 

 

 

Ding dong

 

It must be Kai

Taking in an ample amount of breath, she stood up. Grabbing the wall as her support, she eventually reached the door. As she opened it, she was quite surprised to see that it wasn’t Kai.

 

 

 

“Lay?”

Lay could already see that her face was flushed and she seems to be breathing with some difficulty. “Are you alright?”

She laughed it off. “Yeah, it’s just a little fever and all. Why did you come here anyway?”

“Ah, oh that. You borrowed some books in the library last time and you forgot some of them.”

“Really? Thank—“ She can’t take the dizziness anymore. The world seems to spin out too much and she couldn’t anymore hold it on. In a matter of seconds her vision went black.

 

“Soori!” Lay quickly caught her before she hit the ground. “You’re burning!” He immediately carried her and went to her bedroom to lie her down. Gently, he put her on the bed starting with her head then her body. He carefully wrapped her with some blankets before going out to find some cold compress.

He searched for some but he came up empty handed. Seeing a washcloth instead, he went to get a basin and then proceeded to Soori’s room. After soaking the washcloth with cold water he squeezed it and put it on her head.

He noticed how her brows are furrowing, it seems that she can’t fall asleep peacefully or she was just having a bad dream. Her lips were quivering. How foolish of him to forget checking her temperature.

Her temperature’s quite high. Now for the medicine. Good thing there was still some left in her medicine kit.

 

“Soori-ah, you need to take some medicine.”

She groaned but then she complied. When she was done she immediately slumped back to bed and bury herself with her blankets. Lay could only watch as she was struggling with this sickness. It seems selfish of him but he let his hands caress her face. His fingers touched her cheek, eyes, and then her lips. But it has to end. Breathing out heavily, he stood up. But a hand seemed to stop him.

“Don’t go.” It looks as if she was about to cry. Those eyes that he adored so much, requested him to stay. He wearily gave up and sat back down. Even as he assured her that he won’t be leaving she still haven’t let go of his hand as she went back to sleep. He chuckled seeing her acting like a kid. Again, his hand tucked in some of her hair that was covering her face.

 

 

 

 

“Kai.” She wheezed.

 

 

That name left him smiling with some kind of pain.

When she was finally in deep sleep, he carefully removed his hand from her grasp and went to dial someone. After a few rings, he finally picked up.

 

“Lay?”

“Kai, Soori needs you right now.”

“Why?! What happened to her?!”

“Why won’t you see it for yourself?”

“Okay, I’ll be there in a minute!”

“And Kai?”  Lay knew he had to give up. Kai is his best friend. And he couldn’t bear this tension to build up.

 

 

“Please take good care of her, dear best friend”

 

 


Hope all of you like this update.

Thank you new and old subbies! I love you all hehe

And this chapter is kind of dedicated to all LayxSoori shippers lol *cough bluebabyfish cough*

Hope you'll leave more comments neh? 

I'll look forward to it :)