Old friend

Unwanted Attention

Thirty Seven

 

The air traveled endlessly in her room making her curtains flutter against it. The ceiling was the only thing that her eyes saw and it didn’t give many answers either.

 Kai’s engaged. Kai’s dad isn’t the type who would randomly make jokes on people. This is rather confusing. She hated to admit it but she doubts her feelings for him. What if Kai was just using her as a plaything?  He was just fooling around, toying with girls’ hearts and all. But her heart was against that thought. She shook her head. This isn’t working.

She got up, took her phone and dialed the person whose words would certainly make sense. After a few rings the other line finally accepted her call.

“Minah!”

“Riri!” She missed her best friend’s voice. A few seconds passed but Soori still hadn’t replied. “Ri? Is everything alright?”

She nodded even though she knew Minah couldn’t see her. “Yes.”

“Really?” Minah knew when her best friend isn’t feeling well. This conversation was different from those times they’ve chatted.

Soori smiled. “I guess you know me too much.”

“Well, that’s who I am. So, go ahead, I’ve got time.”

 

“Okay, don’t freak out but I recently got a boyfriend.” Soori heard a stifled laugh. It looks like Minah is having fun with this. “I’m serious!”

“Yeah, yeah I know. It’s just that I’m well, pretty happy for you. But mad as well for keeping this from me.”

Oh right. “I’m sorry about that.”

“What are you waiting for? Shoot your story!”

 

Soori chuckled. She was glad Minah didn’t change. Telling her best friend everything felt very satisfying. Minah listened very well and she was even suppressing her comments until the end of her story.  Every tiny detail she told her. And her burden washed away from her a little. After she was done, she waited for Minah to say her reply.

“Riri?”

“Mmm?”

“You’ve finally grown.” Minah smiled. “Judging from my point of view, I think Kai loves you very much. AND have you ever considered that maybe Kai didn’t know about this too?”

That’s right! I haven’t. “And I don’t know his dad very much but, you’ve got to prove him something.”

“Something?”

“I understand that you’re afraid but don’t be, if you back out now, think of what would happen to Kai. He would pretty much go back to his old business.”

“But his dad?”

“We don’t know if his dad was just trying to scare you off. Maybe that was just some sort of test and what if you passed! OMG! You and Kai could finally be together and have babies. You have to make me a godmother so that I can shower your baby with—“

Soori finally realized. “Thank you so much Minah! I have to go, bye!”

“Well, no problem Ri”

 

Soori hung up and went to find her sweater and boots. Without her noticing, she bumped her forehead on the door. “Ouch.” Shrugging it off, she went to find her things. While she was rushing her movements her thoughts were also realizing things. After she found everything she needed, she ran outside and impatiently waited for the bus. Finally, she saw a red vehicle that stopped and immediately she hopped on, paid the fare then proceeded to take a seat. But then she forgot her phone. She hit her forehead. “Idiot!” The bus had already started running and she couldn’t just go back now, she had to find him immediately.

 

***

 

“Aish, this dog.” Kai muttered. He isn’t a big fan of these furry creatures but somehow, it had gotten its way to his heart. Earlier, after finishing his practice he decided not to go and muster Soori for today. She wasn’t really feeling well either and he didn’t want to suffocate her. But he was still worried. And now he ended up helping the dog shelter they once have been in the past. So, well, now he’s walking a dog in the park. Great. Just great.

Due to his thoughts wandering off, his grip on the leash loosened and the dog, which was constantly pulling forward, finally made a run for it. “Wait! Agh!” He had no choice but to run as well, hoping to catch the dog in time.

Just when he was about to hold the dog, it ran away immediately. He muttered a curse but still persevered to catch the dog. They went on circles around the park and Kai was getting tired from this. When he finally gave up, he panted while leaning against a tree, not seeing that the dog stopped at someone’s feet.

 

***

 

Finally, Soori arrived at the dance studio. She wasted no time getting in and asked for a particular person.

“Kai?” Greg asked. Soori just nodded vigorously. “He left a while ago.”

“Do you know where he went?”

Greg poked his chin. “I think he was going to a dog shelter or something.”

The dog shelter! “Thank you Greg!” After that, Soori dashed off and left Greg in surprise. “Young love.” He muttered while sipping on his coffee.

 

 

***

 

“Excuse me, but is this your dog?” A voice came and interrupted Kai. He looked up only to see a friend from way back.

“Shin Hye!” The girl smiled. “Kai, it’s been a long time.” His old friends just started popping out from nowhere huh.

“Ah, yeah. So, you just came back?” Shin Hye nodded and handed over the dog. Kai quickly tightened his hold on the leash so he won’t ever experience that chase ever again. Both of them started walking around the park, admiring its ethereal beauty along with the blossomed flowers.

“Actually, my parents wanted me back home. You know the rest.” Shin Hye never changed. Her approachable personality was still the same. Well, except for her hair, it became really short.

Kai laughed. He felt the same. Their parents were the same. Big companies and such, there’s not much difference. “I understand.”

They continued chatting and catching up with time. Shin Hye talked a lot. Kai just replied and let Shin Hye talked all she wanted to say. But Shin Hye had to excuse herself since she had her schedule going on. They bid each other farewell and hoped to see each other some time.

Shin Hye was walking her way back to her car when someone bumped into her.

“Sorry! I’m really really sorry!” The girl kept on bowing. But Shin Hye saw something familiar about her.

“Soori?” The girl looked up and her eyes went big.

“Shin Hye!” Soori tackled her for a hug. Shin Hye was a bit surprised but she eventually returned the hug.

Soori met Shin Hye years ago at the dog shelter. Actually, Shin Hye was like her sunbae even though they of the same age. She was kind, talkative and really friendly. Soori was a bit shy when they started talking but eventually they became friends. But news came when she had to migrate overseas. And ever since then they hadn’t seen each other until today.

“Soori! You grew up a lot! I remember you were just this short.” Shin Hye put her hand on her shoulder.

“Aniyo! I wasn’t that short!” Soori playfully slapped her hand. But she suddenly remembered about Kai. She immediately excused herself. “Ah, I’m sorry but I have to go!”

“Wait, Soori! At least give me your number!” After exchanging their numbers, Soori said her goodbye and ran.

 

 

Kai, where are you?