Lies

Unwanted Attention

Fourty Three

 

 

 

Kai’s eyes widened. His grip was loosened and Soori used the chance to break herself free.

“We should breakup.” She kept her eyes anywhere but his face. “I’m tired.”

“Tell me this is just one of your weird antics.”

“No, it’s not”

“Then what is it? I don’t understand! I swear nothing’s going on between me and Shin Hye!”

Soori didn’t utter a word. It’s better than talking back.

“Will you at least look at me and tell me the real reason?”

 

She did, though she couldn’t just tell him about her concurrence with Shin Hye, and it was probably the hardest lie she had to make. In a matter of seconds, she wished she was just dreaming but then reality woke her up and told her it’s not. You have to do it. You have to.

 

 “I don’t love you anymore.” Lie.

“I don’t feel anything for you.” LIE. It’s a lie! They’re all lies!

Kai was in a state of disorientation and affliction.  “I know you’re lying.”

“I don’t care if you won’t believe me. I’m just…tired.”

“You’re tired?” Behind her was a wall on which she was backed up to by Kai. She could feel the coldness of the wall on her back as well as in his voice.

“Stop lying to me.” He didn’t shout but his hand punched the wall beside her, causing her to flinch.

“After I pour my heart to you, this is what you do?” He breathed. When he looked up, she saw tears looming to fall and it did nothing but crush her to pieces. This isn’t what she wanted. She could almost feel herself crying but she held it in.

“Please…give me one more chance.” He said caressing her cheek. “Please just don’t do this.”

He continued. “I’ve never…ever pleaded to anybody in my life before.” He took her in for an embrace. “Please, I’m begging you.”

Is it so wrong to just forget about the situation and go back to his arms again? Yes, her inner conscience whispered. Think about his future. Think about what’s going to happen to him or to your family. Shin Hye has gotten her right where she wanted.

“Sorry.” She pushed him. “This is my decision.” She hurriedly walked in to her apartment and closed the door holding in all her tears. She didn’t want to cry. Yet, all she could do was to slide her back against the door until she was sitting on the floor, staring at nothing and thinking that everything feels heavy.

 

“So, you weren’t lying? This is what you want? Fine….fine.” Kai’s voice trailed off. There was a long pause but a minute after his steps echoed on the corridor and finally it can no longer be heard.

A tear slid on her cheeks. “Funny, I almost cried there.” She hastily wiped her tear and hoped that tomorrow would be as normal as she hoped it would be.

 

***

 

 

He’s back to drinking but not excessively. Being with her caused him a lot of changes and now he can’t even drink how he used to. This is how she affected him just as he affected her. He opted to do this so that maybe the pain would ease a little bit, but he knew it wouldn’t last long. Soori’s break up was a bit too sudden for him. It seemed

“Oppa?” Kai looked up and saw a surprised Sunyoung. He chuckled still looking sullen.

“What brings you here?”

“I could ask the same thing to you.” She said while taking a seat.

“Drowning my sorrows away”

Sunyoung chuckled and ordered some drinks for her own. “This is news. Tell me more.”

“She broke up with me.” Those words tasted bitter on his mouth.

“So? You’ve been through many breakups before.”

He chuckled sadly.

She continued. “I’m even surprised she managed to hold on this long.”

“Am I such an that no sane girl would last with me?” He said as he took a swig of his drink.

“No. Actually, I meant she managed to handle all the torture till now.”

That made Kai’s eyebrows crease. “What do you mean?”

She casted a “well-duh” look. “After my little fun with her, Shin Hye took control and blackmailed her or something.”

Sunyoung tolerance of alcohol was a bit low. She blabbered about so many things even her secrets without her even realizing it. But usually, she doesn’t really care.

“Blackmail?”

She rolled her eyes. “About your engagement, duh.”

“Wait, I’m engaged to Shin Hye?” He asked, surprised.

Her stare was full of disinterest. “Do I need to say more? Yes! Genius, you are.”

“What did Shin Hye do exactly?”

“That whined to our father saying you had a girlfriend and yada yada yada.”

Kai abruptly stood up.

“If I were you, I’d rather leave Soori alone.” Her was tone serious.

“But what you said—“

“It’s much safer that way.”  Kai sat back onto his chair.

“She chose the right decision.” Sunyoung’s eyes were hollow and she kept it that way.

 

 

***

 

Kai kept on thinking whether or not Soori was just scared of Shin Hye that she broke up with him. Isn’t that a bit too selfish? He felt angry but his pain took his anger away. How could Soori do this? He thought she was better than that. His headache kept on ringing inside his head. He rubbed his temple and contemplated about how much of an idiot he was.

“Son.” He looked at his dad, who was getting older by each second. His eyes have gotten such big eye bags and his skin was a bit paler than usual. For some reason, Kai went back to his house last night seeking for some comfort, but then his mother fled to Japan for some business. The maids had explained to him that ever since their company’s downfall in the sales, the house went on a ruckus trying to stable the business.

 

“I assume you are already aware of your engagement.”

He scoffed.

“After your graduation, you are going to Canada for college, and after you graduate, marriage with Shin Hye would most likely to occur.”

 

“Is this the reason why you’ve chased Soori away?”

“You are better off without her.” His father said blankly.

He became irritated. “Why does everybody say that to me? Soori hasn’t done anything okay!” He grabbed his bag and then headed to school with a pounding headache.

His father could only sigh and control his temper to avoid sudden heart attacks.

 

***

Maybe it would’ve been better if she didn’t come to school today. She couldn’t focus and it’d be a really useless day if she doesn’t absorb the lessons.

The last class was dismissed and students immediately went away from their seats

“Hey.” Soori gave no reaction to Miyoung’s smile and continued on staring at her notebook which was sprawled on her desk. Miyoung turned to Jihyun but she just shrugged.

“SOORI!”

Soori blinked a little and gave them a faint smile. “Hey guys.”

“We’re going Karaoke today! Wanna come?” Jihyun winked.

Soori declined. “Sorry guys, I’m just…a little tired.” She began packing up her things.

Jihyun and Miyoung took a seat across her. “Hey, isn’t it weird that Kai’s not hanging around you today? I mean that guy sticks his nose to whatever business you do.”

Miyoung nodded. “Is he sick or something?”

Soori stood up. “I’m sorry guys, but I’m feeling a bit under the weather today. So, I’m gonna go home first. Bye”

Soori dashed out of the room and left Jihyun and Miyoung wondering.

“That was fast.”

“True.” Miyoung agreed.

 

“Have you seen Soori?” A voice interrupted them.

“Oh it’s you, you’re a bit late though, and she already went home.”

 

“Thanks.” After that Kai ran hoping to catch her in time.

 

"The two of them are acting weird today." Miyoung noticed but she shrugged and thought that she was just imagining things.

 

 

 


Sorry if it isn't much of an update, I'm just organizing my thoughts as of now /sigh