The day before leaving

Unwanted Attention

Fourty six

 

Kai was lying on his bed staring at the ceiling trying to have a rest from juggling his schoolwork and their company’s paperwork. The moment the bell rang his friends invited him to hang out, but he declined and said he needed some rest.

And he did rest, but his mind couldn’t.  His thoughts keep on shifting about the plan he agreed with his father.

“Tomorrow is graduation, and in the evening we’ll be departing for Canada.”

He still can’t believe that he’ll agree to this. But what else could he do? His friends didn’t know anything. But Lay was an exception, he knew something was up and Kai ended up confessing to him, though he said to keep it as a secret from everybody.

Should she know? Should I tell her?

Even though they were no longer together, he still felt the need to at least inform her. But how? He practically avoided her, and the reason why is that he might end up not saying anything, or something that would probably create some trouble.

He groaned as he reached his phone from the bedside table, which was ringing nonstop.

“Lay?” He answered.

“Yo, meet me at the café beside the school.”

“What? I need a rest, I can’t go—“

“I’m sorry I can’t hear you bye!”

Kai ended up mumbling incoherent things as he changed his uniform and went out.

 

 

****

 

 

“We’re so old” Miyoung sighed.

“You’re the only one who’s old.” Jihyun corrected.

Tomorrow was graduation day and every student felt that time flies so fast. But to Soori everything was in slow motion. For the past few days, she has been dazing off, thinking about something. No, actually it was someone.

 She appreciated her friends a lot, for trying their best to cheer her up. She knew she had to move on. She showed her normal side, smiling a lot, laughing with her friends. But when her friends weren’t with her, she could feel the loneliness starting to seep in. It wasn’t that bad, but it was rather uncomfortable.

“Soori, wanna hang out today?” Jihyun cooed, with a Miyoung beside her, who’s nodding her head. “Come on, tomorrow’s graduation! This’ll be some sort of a blowout.”

It’s been a while since she had done this so she agreed. “Sure. But where?”

“There’s a café beside the school.”

Soori hummed in acknowledgement.

Jihyun and Miyoung high-fived each other and then they proceeded talking nonstop.

 

 

****

 

 Half an hour had passed since Jihyun and Miyoung went out to get something. Now, Soori had no idea what it was so she just had to nod and wait for them. Their drinks had started to taste bland as the ice was melting. The atmosphere was peaceful and the walls were decorated in a homey way. Soori didn’t mind to wait for them at first since she was pretty comfortable.

Her sight wandered from place to place. There was a couple across her, snuggling, a child was crying somewhere behind her and because the café had glass walls, she could expand her sightings outside.

But eventually, her thoughts would to lead to him. Kai.

It’s been awkward between them, even a small eye-contact would dither their feelings. After that she has done everything just to avoid any contact with him. She would hide when Kai’s in the hallway and made up any excuses she could formulate.

 It’s okay. It’s alright, I’m going to be fine. She kept telling herself. Kai’s just another person passing by her life. Eventually, she’ll be able to forget him. She hoped.

Her phone beeped.

From: Miyoung

Soori! Jihyun and I forgot we had volunteered for something today. It’s really urgent, please forgive us! We’re really sorry! We’ll be going now.

 

Soori furrowed her eyebrows in suspicion. She noticed how weird they were earlier, all the mixed up facial signals and slight whispers she heard. But she just shrugged it off and finished her drink, anticipating her bed so she can sleep. She had to be crazy before she could hate her friends. When the last sip was done, she grabbed her things and left her seat.

 

****

“Ow! You stepped on my foot!” Jihyun whined.

“Shut up okay.” Miyoung shushed her.

“But I can’t see!” Jihyun kept on tiptoeing.

Miyoung and Jihyun made a deal with Lay, but they didn’t know what the main reason was. All Lay said was to make the two of them talk. Concerned with their friend, they instantly agreed. Now, they found themselves hiding near the café.

“Soori’s leaving!” Miyoung pointed out.

“What? She can’t!” Jihyun immediately called Soori to stall some time.

 

 

Before Soori could go out, she answered her ringing phone and stopped for a bit.

“Oh, Jihyun-ah?”

“…uh..”

“Hello?”

“Hehehe, Soori-ah! My dear friend!”

“Kai’s here!” Miyoung whispered.

“Shhh! She might hear!”

“Who might hear?” Soori chimed.

“What? Who? Hear what?”

“Jihyun-ah, you are seriously being weird today, just what—“

The conversation abruptly stopped as someone bumped into her. Not bothering to look at the person, Soori bent down and took her phone, as well as the person. As their hands were touching, they finally took a look at each other.

“Yes, it worked!” Miyoung immediately hid herself behind a wall, as she covered her face, after she pushed Kai to purposely bump on Soori.

 

“Ah..sorry.” Soori bowed then walked away. Suddenly bumping into him like this, she doesn’t know how to react.

“Wait.” Kai grabbed her arm. She stopped. “You dropped this too.” Kai held her handkerchief. Soori immediately took it, made a slight bow then left, even before Kai could actually say anything else.

 

They’re back to being strangers. They’re back to how they were before she helped him, before he annoyed her, before she became his tutor and before they fell in love. Both of them sighed at the same time unknowingly. This is reality.

 

****

“What do you mean you forgot?”

“Sorry Kai, I’m a forgetful person, sometimes.”

“You are really something Lay.” Kai took a sip of his drink. He decided to wait for Lay as he ordered something for himself, only to find out that Lay forgot and couldn’t make his way there.

“Kai.”

“Mmm.”

“You should tell her.” Lay told him ample amount of times and Kai still couldn’t answer him, nor even decide what to do.

“That way, she wouldn’t feel hurt even more.”

Silence grew by.

“I have to go Lay, bye.”

 

 

 


Sorry ! I've been out of ideas lately, so so sorry