Bonfire

Unwanted Attention

Twenty Two

 

 

 

All of them were at ease knowing that they don’t have to pay considering that Lay’s family owns this beach resort.

A birthday wouldn’t be complete if there wasn’t a party. When the sun went away and was replaced by the moon, all of them went to change and get ready for a bonfire.

Lay preferred a simple party, just some get together. For now, he doesn’t want some fancy stuff. Lay was happy that s came along to his party even for just a day; he gets to experience being special. He gets to experience some attention from the girl he’d always been admiring.

Soori.

Today, I’m not gonna let anything hinder me from confessing to her.

 

*****

“Aish, my hair looks awful.” This might be the number one reason why Soori hated the ocean; it makes her hair go all frizzy.

After dressing up for tonight’s bonfire slash party, Soori went out of her room. Though it was still early she decided to wander off a bit. This resort is quite big and there are rich people all over the place. People, who came from different parts of the world, may it be a blonde or black.

 

Her feet carried her from place to place and still, these people didn’t mind her. She’s quite relieved for that after all.

 

“Yah” Soori turned around and saw the man who ignored her for days.

“Why are you roaming around, alone?” The nerve of this guy.

“Is it illegal to do so?”

“Well, no.” Kai, as always, couldn’t defeat Soori when it comes to arguing.  “But, still—“

“Kai oppaaa~”   .

  Hani sprinted off to Kai’s side and immediately hugged his arm. Kai was struggling to get her sticky arms away from him and he didn’t notice how Soori quickly slipped away and left the two of them.

Soori paced rapidly around until she could no longer see the two of them act all lovey dovey together. She hates it.

“Yo! Soori! The Bonfire’s gonna start!” She quickly composed herself when Chanyeol approached her. Soori nodded and went along with him. All together, when they finally arrived at the bonfire, they were finally complete.

Soori sat down in between Chanyeol and Baekhyun, the ones she talk the most. Minutes passed by and they started by singing Lay a sloppy Happy Birthday. Soori wiped away all the negative emotions about earlier and sang along with them. Although, there were some moments when she could feel Kai’s eyes watching out for her. But she ignored it. Just ignore it.

 

After their dinner, the boys were giddy when it was time for giving Lay his presents. Soori noticed how all of them seemed to ignore Hani. She could feel some tension. She didn’t knew the girl enough to judge her.

 

“Hope you like it Lay!”

“I especially picked it for you”

“Yah, don’t throw it away okay?”

The boys’ smiles were one thing that Soori wouldn’t ever exchange for anything. And the way Lay smiled while smacking each of his friends in the head made her cherish this moment of friendship.

 

It was time for Soori to give her present which she bought after Lay invited her to his birthday party. She felt stupid when she didn’t know his birthday. She was pretty frantic when she searched for a perfect gift. When she found one, she was still in doubt on whether or not he would like this or throw it away. Throwing it away might sound too harsh.

 

“Um, just so you know, you can um throw it away or something—“

“Just give it to me Soori-ah”  Lay snatched her present from her hands and opened it.

At first he was shocked but then Soori’s explanation made him warm all over. “I decided to give you something that I made, since I have no money and all.” Soori couldn’t face the humiliation that she felt right now. All of the other’s presents were too pricey for her own budget. She could also faintly hear Hani’s snort.

Lay’s hands touched the fabric of the scarf she made. Lay wasn’t into scarves but this one is extremely special.

“You know if you don’t want it you can give it back—“

“Sorry, but I’m keeping this.” Soori felt happy knowing Lay liked her gift. The only thing that made it special is that she made it with a heartfelt effort and hard work.

 

****

“Soori-ah!”

“Deh?”

“Would you stay for a while?” Lay asked.

“Sure.” She replied without any hesitancy.

 

 

After the bonfire, all of them decided to go to bed, well, except for Lay. And maybe Kai. Kai heard Lay calling Soori and immediately went along with them stealthily avoiding Hani as much as possible with luck. He hid in between shadows as Soori and Lay walked by the beach. The trees’ shadow casted an invisible line between light and dark making it difficult to spot Kai. He also made sure that there’s enough distance so that he can hear their conversation without getting caught.

“Do you like it here?”

Soori nodded enthusiastically. “I love nature, but I hate it when salt water gets on my hair”

 

Another moment of laughter passed by and Kai watched them helplessly. He thought about himself, on why was he such a jerk when he can treat Soori the way Lay did. Treat her like she’s a lady with dignity and poise. Regret flashed through and it dawned on him.

 

Lay stopped walking which kind of surprised Soori. He turned around and looked into her drowning eyes which reflected the moon. His hands shook a bit indicating the nervousness he felt. He was going to confess to her and it was now or never.

He willed his hand to move and take her arm to pull her towards him until she was finally engulfed by his embrace. Two pairs of eyes widened, and it was Kai’s and Soori’s.

 

Lay nuzzled his nose on her hair and savored her sweet scent. His arms tightened his hold on her as if she’s going to slip away any minute from now, like she always does. But now he isn’t gonna let it happen again.

 

“’I must learn to be content with being happier than I deserve.’ You know that quote right?” Lay slightly pulled away to look at her flustered and confused face.

With eyebrows still furrowed she nodded and looked at anything except for his eyes which showed a lot of emotions that she was familiar with.

“Look at me.”  He noticed.

Slowly her eyes darted to him and Lay leaned in closer and closer.

 

Whack!

Kai’s fist collided with Lay’s cheek causing him to saunter backwards.

“Kai! What are you doing?!” Soori immediately went to Lay’s side, who was clutching his cheek in astonishment. He figured that fighting back would be unnecessary.

Kai was pretty surprised himself that he did that. Hitting his best friend on his birthday. Great. What an . He felt guilty, jealous and angry. He ran his fingers in his hair looking devastated at what he did. When he couldn’t take the tension he ran. Xuimin who witnessed the scenario from the sides ran after him.

“I’ll take care of him, Soori, get Lay some medicines”

Soori nodded and they went inside to treat Lay’s wounds.

 

What’s happening to you Kai. 

 

 


 

Omg you guys, are you all rooting for Lay ? Because it seems so.

Like my friend bluebabyfish here :) I just want to thank her for the support and

some wonderful ideas for this fic

mehehehe :)

 

 

Please leave more comments <3 Bbuing Bbuing ~