Goodbye

Unwanted Attention

Fourty Two

 

 

As soon as the door closes, Soori’s mother, who had a big smile plastered all over her face, wasted no time to hug her. She was confused but eventually hugged her back.

“Guess who’s back to work?” Her mother wiggled her eyebrows.

“Me? Of course it’s you!” Soori laughed. She was happy that her mother’s life went back to normal, but at the price of her leaving someone.

“And I’m leaving tomorrow.”

“Already?”

“Yeah.” She sighed. “I’m sorry dear, but the company said I should be at work, pronto. But your father and I will come back for your graduation.”

Soori just gave a faint smile.

“Are you okay?”

Soori kept her calm composure in order for her mother not to suspect anything. “Who? Me? I’m okay.”

“Uh-huh, sure.”

She spread her arms laughing. “I’m fine mom.”

Her mother seemed to give up. “Okay. It’s no use anyway. Just call me if you need anything.” She waved her hand and went to her room.

Is it wrong to think that what’s happening to her is unfair? Why does she have to be the only who has to let go of the person who modified her from this unsociable being to a person who now enjoys having friends. Kai did a great impact to her life. And now, even if she doesn’t want to, she knew she had to give him up. Being selfish would only make the situation immensely complicated and tiring.

But even for just one minute she wanted to be selfish.

 

***

“So, for today’s date, were going back to the amusement park?” Kai asked for the nth time, unable to process what Soori’s thoughts are.

“Were already here, or do you want to cancel the date?”

He grinned and pointed a finger. “You got me”

“I always do.” She giggled and twirled around savoring the freedom of forgetting her agenda for just a moment.

Today would be the imprint that Soori could never erase from her memory. Is it really possible to love a person this much? At first it seemed irrational and useless but now, she can’t even think of a word to describe it.

Both of them went to countless rides full with vivacious laughter and scream. And all the time Soori would look at his face from time to time. She never realized how cute and irrevocably handsome he is. She mentally laughed at her own perplexed mind. While he’s eating and talking, she was hypnotized by him, never taking a glance at any place except him.

“I know. I get it. I look extra handsome today, so don’t drool.” He broke of into a fit of laughter.

She scoffed. “Don’t count on it.”

“Angel?” He stared at her with a serious edge in his voice.

“Yes Mr. Full of himself?” She giggled.

Kai flustered around trying to have a perfect explanation on how humble he is. Soori just laughed and sighed mentally because she was able to avoid a serious conversation. Try to just save it for later.

 

 

“You know what I notice about you?”

“What?” After their meal, they walked around sightseeing and also trying out some games. Kai kept being defeated and he gave up.

“You never cling to me.” He pouted.

She chuckled. “Seriously? You want me to do that?”

“Yes and yes. That’s why I have to put my arms around you every time and—“

Soori hugged his side and smiled. “Happy?”

Kai laughed but he loved every single time she’s acting like this. “More than I’ll ever be.”

 

After a while they stopped and Soori asked him to do something. “Kai.”

“What? What’s wrong?”

“I’m craving for some yogurt.” It was her turn to pout.

“So you’re asking me to go back maybe 15 meters from here to get you some yogurt?”

She nodded enthusiastically.

He sighed. “I’ll be back and promise to wait for me here okay?”

“Neh!”

“You sure are weird today.” After that he turned his back and started walking, while Soori’s smile started fading away. When he was no longer visible, she betrayed his promise and hid herself. She found a tree nearby that could conceal her perfectly.

When Kai arrived with her yogurt in hand, she camouflaged herself within the shadows as it was already dark. She couldn’t hear him but judging from his appearance he was muttering and calling out her name. She slumped back behind the tree and began to compose a message.

After endlessly calling her name for a minute, Kai’s phone beeped.

 

 

Soori:

Since I’m unable to say goodbye to you with a smile on my face, I’m just going to say it here.

Goodbye :)

 

 

A lot of thoughts coursed throughout his mind and his first action would be to find her. He tracked by the places they went earlier and looked for her. After being disappointed, he began asking people if they have seen her. He described her and people would always shake their head in response.

With a lot of people in this place, his eyes found none but random strangers. He shouldn’t give up looking, but his mind kept telling him it’s no use.

 

***

 

She is a coward isn’t she? Just with the mere act of sending that message. Now she finds herself walking home solo. But it gave her a lot of time to think. She found herself sighing lots of times and on the verge of tears, but never did she allow herself to cry. She needs to be strong, yet as time passes by, she found herself growing weaker.

 

She arrived at her apartment with everything as usual as it is. She took the elevator and stepped out, only to stop her tracks as she saw someone leaning against her apartment door.

Kai was sitting on the floor looking straight in deep thought. Soori could feel her breathe hitching. When he couldn’t find her, he ended up here in her apartment waiting for her.

After what she did earlier she couldn’t face him. Turning around hoping Kai wouldn’t see her as she can make her escape; she bumped into something she couldn’t quite decipher.

“Soori?” She stopped her tracks. But at the final minute she started to run.

“Soori!” Kai went after her and caught her arm before she could enter the elevator and pulled her to him. Soori could only struggle to break free but the elevator was already closed.

“So, now you’re avoiding me. Do you know how worried I was when I couldn’t find you? And what did you mean by goodbye?"  His grip was tight but not tight enough to hurt her. “I don’t understand. If you’re still mad about what Shin Hye and I did, tell me! Just don’t be like this.”

 

His voice bore nothing but anguish. “I’m sorry. I’m really really sorry.” He pleaded.

 

 

 

 

“Kai, I think we should break up.”

 

 

 

 


thank you new subscribers! and thank you to those who voted and to those who commented ! thank you so much !