27- Cassette 8 Side B

Th1rteen R3asons Why
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kyuhyun’s POV

I looked at Donghae to see his reaction. He was looking elsewhere, outside the window. I continued to stare at him when he looked back at me.

“Yeah?” he asked.

I shook my head and took a deep breath. Donghae remained silent and watched me as I switched the tape to side b.

The car was quiet once again. We were both waiting for Ryeowook’s voice to come once again. After a few moments, Ryeowook’s voice could be heard in the small quiet car.

In comparison from the last few tapes, Ryeowook’s voice sounded stronger. It’s not like his voice was barely heard anymore, in fact it’s quite the opposite. His voice was projected loudly from the small cassette player.

So Ice Princess... you probably don’t know the reason why you’re listening to these tapes. It’s pretty obvious though if you ask me. You might be in denial and think that I’m just overreacting, but I’m not.

It may be just me since I felt the humiliation. Well... keep listening to the tapes and you’ll soon understand why.

We had our rehearsal before the concert the next day. The rehearsal was pretty laid back and we had the freedom to choose from different activities before 7 that evening where we would go through a practice concert at that time.

There were sound checks, meet-and-greets with the fans and free time. There were many different things we could do and SMTown artists did different activities.

The practice concert was a hit and it went by smoothly. There were some fans who sneaked in to hear the concert but other than that it went by smoothly.

The day of the concert, the company’s president told us, Super Junior members, that we were opening for the concert. We were also going to introduce Girls’ Generation, who were just debuting at that time, to the SMTown fans.

I was fine with that, to be honest, I was ecstatic. I was excited to open for the concert. Super Junior was opening the concert and I was excited.

Before the concert, there were last minute practices since noon that day and while our group wasn’t practicing, we were just hanging out backstage, stay in the hotel, or participate in the second day of the fans’ meet-and-greet.

There were many things we could do, but I chose to stay backstage. A couple of the Girls’ Generation members also stayed backstage.

Donghae stayed backstage with me and we just hanged out and did nothing during that time. One Girls’ Generation member approached us and said that the president wanted to talk to Donghae. Donghae smiled apologetically then left.

I was standing backstage and Jessica was there beside me. To be honest Jessica, I never met you personally before the concert. I saw you on the television and walking around the SM building, but that was it. We never conversed and our first meeting was odd and a little bit awkward too. Although I knew who you were, I was never close with you. You were just a trainee who became an artist.

I extend my hand to offer as a hand shake. Do you remember that moment Ice Princess? You engulfed me in a hug instead.

I was caught off guard and was surprised at your gesture, but nonetheless, I hugged you back awkwardly.

“Hello Ryeowook,” you said with a smile.

I heard about your reputation before. Staff and other trainees said that you were cold towards people but you didn’t seem like that towards me. You were sweet and opposite of what your reputation say you were.

I was fine with that because I don’t believe in labelling people and don’t believe in reputation. However, something was off. Your sweetness was sort of sickening... sort of.

I don’t know how to explain it. You didn’t seem fake; you just seemed a bit odd. I guess odd is a word that could describe it for the lack of better words I could think of at the moment.

I pushed that thought at the back of my head and broke away from your hug.                                                 

“Hello Jessica,” I said.

I couldn’t bring myself to smile since I was still nervous with meeting new people and I was a bit shock from the hug you gave me. You continued to smile at me.

“Sica,” I heard someone call you. We both looked towards the source of the voice and if I could remember clearly she was your fellow group member named Tiffany.

Anyways, you said goodbye and left with Tiffany. I was there alone backstage and I was getting bored. I walked away from the backstage and looked towards the direction of the stage.

Girls’ Generation was rehearsing and saw you guys perform. You guys were good. Honestly though, I think there were a few members who were dancing half-heartedly.

After you guys performed, I saw you head out of the stage as DBSK sunbaenims rehearsed next. They performed and sound good... never mind amazing is the better word.  The five of them could harmonize very well.

I was absorbed in DBSK sunbaenim’s performance when you went behind me and tried to startle me. I looked at your direction and your smile soon faded when you realized that I didn’t jump or get startled from surprise.

“You don’t get scared easily do you?” you asked.

I shook my head no and you smiled again.

You were with me a lot during the pre-concert and I didn’t understand why you constantly stayed close to me.

To all of the other people who are listening, you probably won’t understand when I say that Jessica’s smile seems surreal. Her smile wasn’t fake or real. That doesn’t make sense because that statement alone contradicts each other but I don’t know how else to explain it. Jessica’s smile is just creepy... I guess you can call it that.

Anyways, there you were standing next to me and there was only about an hour before the SMTown concert will finally begin.

“So Ryeowook, you guys are opening the concert tonight right?” you asked me.

“Yeah,” I replied as I nod my head.

“Did the president tell you that you were doing the opening statement for tonight?” you asked me.

“Um... no. I thought that we were all doing it together and that Leeteuk hyung was going to say the first sentence since he was the leader,” I replied.

“When we had our sound check a few minutes ago, the president came by to check on us and he told us to tell you, that Super Junior was opening the concert and th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter