Curious circumstances...

Maestro

They had to leave at dawn and they were sad to leave so early. Their old couple had made sure to pack them all they could need for the journey and had bid them bye. As soon as the bus departed and farewells were given, they fell asleep on each other’s shoulders. The bus stopped few hours later waking them up for short bathroom breaks and this time, they noticed that the bus was filled with young people and in groups. They were so excited and shouting so much and Ga-in blocked her ears. Junsu laughed lightly feeling sorry for her but she smacked him instead for laughing.

“I thought we agreed you not to hit me.”

“Well you asked for it.”

After half an hour they boarded on the bus and it drove on. Ga-in was trying to get some sleep however due to her body ache and the noises; she couldn’t. After three days of hard work her body finally hit the pain and it was the same for Junsu.

“This is just great…we need some muscle relaxants.”    Ga-in mumbled realizing how those old people worked every day like this and feeling the pain in their joints.

“We’ll get them on the next stop…now…”     he stretched out; yawning and didn’t complete. He slumped on her shoulders and shut his eyes. She was about to do the same when someone tapped on her shoulder. She turned her head and saw a younger looking girl staring at her with much interest.

“Hi?”     Ga-in questioningly greeted her.

“Hi…”    she silently responded.    “Are you two dating?”           Ga-in’s eyes narrowed as this was getting ridiculous. Maybe the girl was expecting her to deny and then she would take her chance with the innocent duck . Oh how the torture would that be, for him where the girl would his every day.

“Date this loser? No way…he’s my bed bud.”       Her eyes shot up but with more interest and this time a guy joined in.

“Really? Like bed, bed buds?”     Now Ga-in couldn’t really take back what she had said. Before she could retreat Junsu spoke out.

“Yes. Real bed buds. Real as the soil underneath.”    He was still on her shoulder and his eyes shut.

Holy mother-f…

“How does it feel?”   The girl was a psycho or what? Finally opening his eyes, he raised his head at her with a devious smirk.

“You want to try?”    The girl’s face turned red as beet and she squealed out in excitement.

“Oh goody goody! This must be my lucky day!”      Yes…she was a psycho. The guy beside her was shocked as the other two.

“Sorry girlie, you can do him next time. Right now he has a deal with me.”     Ga-in pulled his head on her shoulders again. The other two got back to their seats as the guy was asking why she did that and of course Ga-in heard her say.

“To see if you really like me…”

“She’s really a cookie…”    Junsu murmured on her shoulder.

“And I could say you were afraid of her squeezing your .”    Ga-in responded back.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Hara’s father could finally sit up and now he was eating healthy. Hara was feeding him, herself. Her mother was beside her and soon Jaejoong entered the room.

“Good morning, sorry I had to be home last night.”    He took a seat on the couch.

“That’s fine. Did you eat?”    Mrs. Koo asked turning to him. He nodded and looked at Hara’s father.

“What did the doctors say?”

“He can leave by today and we’ll go back to Jeolla.”    

“But why?”    Jaejoong looked at Hara.    “You guys only just arrived.”

“Father needs his rest. Besides…I’ll be going with them for the rest of the vacation.”     Jaejoong slumped down. He didn’t want them to leave yet. Seeing such a puppy looking face Mr. Koo spoke up.

“You look like a girl with that face. It’s not like we are going to melt down. If it was an actual girl then perhaps I could have.”

“You just have to make fun of me Mr. Koo.”    Jaejoong shot a pouty angry look at him.     “Looks like the didn’t do you any good.”

“Eh! As if! This is nothing, you wuss!”

“Wuss! Don’t you say that about the father of your future grand kids.”       Jaejoong stated making Mr. Koo choke on his food as the rest was trying to manage him.

“Jaejoong! You just had to say that in front of my dad!”    Hara’s cheeks were red as tomato.

“That was a bit too forward I think.”   Her mother agreed.

“You bastard! Already thinking of kids with my daughter.”    Settling down of a bit, he added.     “But I’d rather hand her to you than any other…you have a sense of humour.”   He looked away; being a bit embarrassed. It was like a defeat to him agreeing on that. Jaejoong was himself shocked. Hara stood up; startling all and disrupting the quiet dramatic moment.

“Whom I get to be with is my decision and with whom I get to have my kids with is also my decision, so don’t you two go deciding about it. So Jaejoong shut your mouth and dad, open your mouth.”    Her father obeyed as she stuffed the food. Her mother observing all of it; lightly smiled.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Minyoung had just arrived and saw the dim lights. Her father and brother were already asleep and her mother was on the couch.

“You’re back.”

“Sorry for being late.”

“Late? It’s not even 11…how was your day?”

“Good. I enjoyed it.”

“That’s nice to hear. Oh yeah, while I was cleaning your room, I found this.”    Her mother held out a ticket.     “Are you not going?”     Minyoung noticed the ticket; it was the invitation and the club entrance.

“Mum, you know the place. It’s filled with drunkards.”

“Your classmates wouldn’t invite you to that bad of a place and even the most decent pubs would have drunkards.”

“Yes…”   she agreed.    “But I still don’t want to go. Though I have agreed to let Yoochun go. He’s been wanting to.”

“Why don’t you go with him? He could really use your company.”

“Ma…”    she sighed, tired of explaining every time.    “I don’t want to go…plus I never go every time she invites me.”

“Exactly…she invites you every time and you don’t go…she feels bad. She even called me this time to make sure I can persuade you to go. Come on…Yoochun is with you this time. I’m sure he will take good care of you.”

“You’re tired ma…go to sleep. I’m off to bed. Good night.”     Not speaking further she proceeded towards her room. Her mother watched her vanish and then she took out her cell phone, quickly texting someone…

She’s still adamant…

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Their personal cars had arrived to pick them up. Junsu and Ga-in were talking before they would leave. Their drivers waited while they conversed.

“Will you be returning to the apartment?”    She asked.

“Not this time. I’ll be returning home. Jaejoong and Yoochun may not be there so what will I do alone? Its time I spend some time with my family. What will you do?”

“Returning home too…Hyori wanted me to go with her so I guess I will go with her.”

“You just returned now you’ll travel again? Keep your muscle relaxed. Don’t overwork…or else I won’t be able to make you work in the fields again.”    He chuckled along with her.

“Well just text me when you get home.”    He nodded with a smile and palmed her face; her ear.

“Will do…”   he quietly responded as Ga-in softly looked at him. As much as they wanted to embrace each other…they thought it was best not to. They separated their ways to their cars and went their own ways.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After he had been discharged, Jaejoong visited them on the day they were leaving. He volunteered helping them but with a heavy heart.

“You look like you could cry any moment.”    Mr. Koo clicked his tongue looking at his puppy face. Well he wanted to cry any moment. With them…he felt like home. It was like he was with his real family.

“Heh! I would make your cry when you will hand Hara’s hand to me.”    He had to cover his emotion.

“You will cry once she nags you to death.”    Hara’s father cackled out in laughter but it was annoying Hara. She wished to throw them over the ocean.

“Would you guys stop talking about me while I’m here? It’s like I don’t exist.”    Hara finally snapped. Both men, like kids, dropped their heads mumbling sorry. Her mother giggled and looked at Jaejoong.

“Thank you for the help son. We really appreciate it.”

“Don’t mention it. It’s been nice with you guys. Hope you move here permanently after her graduation.”     He wanted to say ‘please move here after graduation’.

“We hope so too…but Jeolla is such a beautiful place. Well it’s time to leave. Take care.”    She patted his head while Hara and her father ignored such maternal love. While they were getting in the van, her mother nudged Hara.

“What?”   She whispered back.

“Say bye to him…we’ll give you some time.”   She smiled.

“Pff! It’s not like she won’t see him again.”    Her father grunted back quietly. While saying, he glanced out the window and saw Jaejoong’s really sad face. Although he didn’t hear anything…it looked like he wanted Hara to talk to him.

“Fine…”   her father gave up.    “Go and bid him fare well…but don’t let him kiss you.”

“Dad…”   she frowned at him…    “You don’t have to tell me twice. I’m well aware…”    she got out of the van and walked to Jaejoong. His face suddenly lit up seeing her.

“Hara?”

“Well…”   she sighed.    “Don’t make a puppy face. You’re breaking my parents’ hearts.”    Having three seconds of silence she then said.    “Bye…”

Jaejoong made a poker face due to the short sentence. But then he ended up chuckling.

“You’ll never learn.”

“What?”    She lightly snapped but then his sudden action shocked her. He took her head and pushed it on his chest.

“Take care…that’s what you’re supposed to say.”

“Do you want my dad to beat you up?”   She mumbled on his chest knowing her parents were watching.

“Maybe…but I don’t fight old timers.”

Yes…they were watching and Mr. Koo really wanted to kill him as he glared at Jaejoong. Jaejoong on the other hand, winked at him making Mrs. Koo giggle.

“He has nothing to worry about…I can’t replace the one man in your life and that’s your father.”

Hara smiled…at least he understood that. He finally let go off her and she scurried back to the van and got in. Hara started the van and Mr. Koo looked outside once again showing the shooting gesture at him but then…he waved at him with a smile. Jaejoong waved back as the van drove away.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next day, Minyoung sat out in the balcony, sipping on her coffee. The weather seemed nice and she wished Yoochun was here to observe such nice weather with her. Thinking of him, she remembered his quite sad face when she refused to go with him. Poor kid came here for some fun and because of her, he won’t be able to.

It’s not like I’m prohibiting him.  

As much as she wanted to justify herself for ruining his fun, she still felt guilty.

I also gave him the ticket! Why can’t he just go tonight?!

Oh yes…it was tonight.

I better call him…

She left her seat and her coffee. Taking up the phone, she dialled. Both her parents were out to work while her brother was in school.

“Hello?”

“Yoochun! Why can’t you just go?! Now I’m ruining my brain feeling guilty!”

“Well…not without you. Feel guilty all you want. I ain’t going without you.”

She sighed. She couldn’t convince him in any way. Since when did she start caring about him? Of course, if he cared about her the same way, he wouldn’t have made her feel guilty. And her mother had permitted her-no, correction. She was persuading her to go.

“I’ll ask my mother again…”

“So you’ll go?”

“I didn’t say yes yet. I said I’ll ask my mother.”

“No need I suppose. Well I’ll prepare all I need. Kind of excited to go out with you…at a disco.”

“Die in Thames Yoochun. I’ll hang up. Bye.”   She hung up without hearing the other side. She sighed again. She has been sighing a lot. As she was about to go to her dear hot coffee, the phone rang again and this time, it was her mom.

“Honey, could you look in our room? You’ll find a packet ride beside the bed. Please take it out and see into it, whether it’s fine.”

“Sure mom. When will you be back?”

“Within an hour or so and take a shower. I have something for you.”

“Can I know?”   She was kind of interested to see what her mother had gotten her.

“Not now. When I come back. Well I got to go. See you later dear.”

“Bye mom.”    She hung up again and this time she realized. She forgot to ask about Yoochun.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finishing her coffee, she went to her parent’s room and noticed the packet. She went to the packet and picked it up. Opening it slightly, she saw a white dress. She wondered why her mother would need a new dress. Shrugging lightly, she took it out of the room and put it in hers. Recalling her mother’s words, she entered to take a shower.

After being done, she came out drying her hair with the towel. She noticed the packet once again and this time, she was curious what it looked like. She somehow liked the colour white. She took the dress out of the packet and put it on the bed. It wasn’t a dress…it was a trench coat and on that a double dutched one. Her mother had classy taste.

The door bell rang, notifying that Stefan had returned. She rushed and opened the door letting her brother in.

“Hey Stef!”

“Sis.”   He returned like a pacifier. He was a real wise .

“How did your day go? What would you like to have?”

“Anything.”   He threw the bag on the couch and took a seat on the table.     “Will you be going tonight then?”   That hit her head real hard.

“How did you know? Did mom tell you?”

“No, I heard. She’s been trying to get you out to have some fun.”

“You know too much for your age.”

“I know…what will you wear? You don’t have party dresses.”

“How do you even know that?”

“Just a guess.”

She pressed her lips together. Even her little brother knew about her sad sap self. Nevertheless, she was grateful to these people.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About half an hour later her mother returned home and without sitting or resting she pulled Minyoung to her room.

“Mother, you’ve just returned. Let me make you something. And why are you in such a hurry?”

“Because you have a party to go to.”

“Not again mother.”   She freed herself from her mother’s grip.    “I said I won’t go.”

“But you said that you’ll ask me.”

“When did I say that?...Hold on…I told Yoochun that I’d ask you. How did you know?”

“Oops…”   she let out a sheepish glee and bit her tongue.

“What have you been cooking behind me?”

“Well it’s kind of long. Well now don’t be so angry. Yoochun didn’t even plan this. I am the devil here.”

“I very well know that. Yoochun doesn’t have the brains.”

“Don’t be so mean.”   She pouted at her daughter.     “I would have gone if I could…I could never go to these kinds of places because…I was never allowed to.”   Her face fell in a way…well in her time nothing fun was allowed. Above that she married her father who was no fun himself.

“You could go you know? With father…”

“Well…I don’t want to disappoint him in these childish things.”

Minyoung actually felt sad for her mother. She couldn’t fulfil her wish to dance around with loud music. It was weird though.

“Alright…I’ll go. Make me up.”

Her mother’s face lightened up and she squealed out like a little girl.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Her father had returned and it was Stefan who had opened the door. As soon as he stepped in the house, he could smell perfumes and cosmetics.

“What the hell is she doing?”   He mumbled; opening his coat.

“Make up. Basically making Sis up.”

“Minyoung! Make up?”   He had to see this. He proceeded upstairs and saw the door locked. He knocked and heard his wife.

“Just a minute.”

After few minutes, the door opened and his jaw dropped looking at his daughter. He never saw Minyoung like this before. She was glowing and that put a smile on his face. Just then, the moment was cut off with another bell. This time, her mother scurried out and opened the door.

“Hi, Mrs. Park? Is she mad?”    Yoochun had to ask that.

“Yes…”    she smiled lightly.    “Come in. You look dashing.”

“Thanks Mrs. Park.”   His cheeks reddened with the compliment. All he wore was grey sweat shirt with a casual coat.

“Well she’s ready. How are you guys going?”

“Cab.”   He pointed outside and she peeked out. He indeed brought a cab although the Parks had car.

“Well don’t be late.”   He nodded and saw Mr. Park coming down with…her.

His first reaction was shock; followed up with some curiousity and then…a light soft smile. A smile Mrs. Park had seen in her husband before. Yoochun didn’t say anything to her except spared a ‘hi’. His face seemed unreadable to both parents while Minyoung remained glum.

Her hair was not braided tightly this time but loosely pony tailed and the trench coat suited her just fine. This was the first time she was actually showing the skin of her legs. Her face glowed and lips looked as if she ate a lot of cherries and the colour remained on those lips.

“Take good care. Stay safe.”   Her father reminded them once again and they both nodded and Mrs. Park nudged Yoochun. She gestured him to hold out his elbow. Getting the gesture, he hesitantly held his elbow to her. Feeling uncomfortable, she took his elbow and headed out feeling the cold around her legs. She should have worn her trousers.

They got in the cab without saying anything and the cab drove off. None of them said anything and both didn’t know why they were so quiet.

Minyoung was quiet because, she never showed this side to any men until now. She wondered what he thought of her, she wondered whether she was doing the right thing. Yoochun on the other hand, was quiet because she was. He decided to break the silence.

“You look better without makeup.”   She frowned hearing his comment. Was he trying to piss her off?

“I didn’t put makeup. It’s just face cream.”

“Exactly.”

That shut her up...she glanced at him, who was smiling to himself. Yes...he was trying to piss her off.

“I never really thought I would see you wearing fancy coat and not have your hair tightly braided. It’s kind of weird.”     

“Do you want to die Mickey?”

“I’m just saying. But...you look good nevertheless.”

“...Thanks...you look good too.”

Maybe it was better for them not to talk at the moment.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Loud music boomed in the disco and screams could tear the eardrums. Both Yoochun and Minyoung blocked their ears and showed their pass. They were let in and soon Minyoung heard her classmate’s scream.

“MINYOUNG!!!! YOU ACTUALLY CAME!”     The heavy British accent was hard to miss and of course all were British here.

“Yes I did!”   She had to yell out for her to hear. But she didn’t have the British accent; hers were plain American.

“Who’s the hunk?! Looks pretty! Can he speak English?!”    His ears perked up hearing the question.

“Hi!”   He held out his hand loudly introducing.    “Name’s Mickey! Nice to meet you!”    His accent was American too. She took his hand yelling out her name.

“Summer! How about we go somewhere quieter! This place is too loud! Come on! All are waiting for you!”     Summer pulled the two with her to a quieter place where music still reached but no one would have to scream their lungs out. The girls surrounded Yoochun because it wasn’t every day, Minyoung brought a boy. Minyoung noticed the girls his shoulders and cheeks. He, on the other hand, tried to remain calm. Sure, he had many girls after him back in SM, but this was just awkward-considering they were Minyoung’s classmates.

“Girls back off. He’s new.”    Summer scolded the others and few pouted.

“He’s so cute.”   One pulled his cheek. Not even in States, girls got the opportunity to do that. Even though he flirted a lot.

“Thank you. I appreciate it.”     Yoochun mumbled out in embarrassment. Why was he so uncomfortable? Was it because Minyoung was here?

“You have a y accent.”    Yoochun smiled. It was just his luck that when he used to flirt with foreigner girls, they ignored him, and now that he’s decent, all are just coming at him.

“Hey give us some of that!”   One of the guys stated and the rest laughed out.

“You’re old Mike! I’m bored seeing your face.”   Another girl commented and another laugh busted out.

“Oh look what you did Minyoung bringing him here. Now he’s taking all of our popularity.”    Mike whined making Minyoung laugh.

“You look good Min! Never thought you’d actually come. Did your mother blackmail you?”

She laughed out again. These guys were real jokers. Yoochun understood why she was still in contact with them even though she never attended their parties. The girls were open but funny and the guys were just fine.

“Dance with me cutie.”   One of the girls, named Claire, pulled Yoochun to the floor and Yoochun slowly got comfortable with the girl. He glanced at Minyoung once in a while who giggled and waved at him. She was basically talking to Summer who seemed to talk a lot and had a lot of catching up to do.

“Are you dating this guy?”   Summer asked quietly seeing Minyoung waving at him.

“What? No. He’s a classmate of mine. He was just visiting.”

“Well he sure is good looking. Leave that. How have you been doing?”

“I’m alright Summer. How are you?”

“Well you could have attended few parties...I was kind of sad seeing you not attending any. What made you come this time?”

What could she say? Any wrong words could prove difficult for her.

“Mother actually blackmailed me.”   She chuckled lying. Summer observed her face.     “Why are you looking at me like that Summer?”

“It's nice to see you smile...”

“Don’t say it like that. It’s not like I’ve stopped laughing.”

“But you did...none of us blame you.”    Minyoung’s face got grim but she tried to smile.     “We all are with you in this. The people who hurt you have been long gone. You have nothing to be afraid of. You can meet us.”

“Thank you Summer.”

“Well way to ruin the mood. Let’s go get some drinks. Soft drinks for you and vodka for me.”   Summer pulled her to the stand and ordered two drinks. Minyoung noticed Yoochun again and this time, Claire was hugging his real close. Yoochun looked like, he was choking.

“Poor Mickey...she’s smothering him too much.”    Minyoung mumbled with a light smile. Somehow this was funny to her.

“You’re not tad a bit jealous...weird.”

“Well they are just dancing and they might like each other. Who knows? He was looking for an English girl to date.”    Minyoung answered.

“He doesn’t look like the type who’d fall for anyone and everyone. He looks...decent but street smart. He seems like bad boy who knows a lot and at the same time use the knowledge to protect the ones he loves.”

“You sure have been reading a lot of romance novels.”    Minyoung looked at Summer.     “What are you reading now?”

“50 shades of grey.”

“Oh my god...”

Meanwhile Yoochun could sense that Claire was purposely choking him. Maybe she liked playing with newbies.

“You’re such a good dancer.”   She murmured near his ears; sending the shivers down his neck. Wow that felt nice.

“Thank you. You are good yourself.”

“Are you dating Minyoung?”

“Her?”   again...as much as he liked the violin girl and admitted loving her, loving Minyoung and dating her seemed impossible.    “I only see as my friend. A close one.”

“Then you’d have no problem dating me.”   Yoochun shrugged. Maybe he could love her in the end.

“Maybe so. I’d like to give some time for it.”    She pulled away looking at him softly.

“You’re a nice guy and I’m beat. I’ll go for a drink. Want some?”

“Nah, I’m good. I could dance a bit more.”

“I’ll send someone over to you.”    Claire walked away to Summer and asked her to dance with Yoochun. Summer gladly took the floor with Yoochun while Claire excused herself to the restroom. Minyoung drank alone observing all of her classmates dancing and gossiping. Summer was getting real close for some reason and Yoochun was more than surprised. He glanced at Minyoung who blinked at him slowly; assuring that she was harmless.

“You’re alone?”   a voice startled her because it was real close to her ears. She turned and saw a guy staring at her.     “What’s your name?”

“Why do you ask?”   she responded rudely. She wasn’t in the mood for random men.

“No need to be so harsh. Just want to get to know you. I’m Lance.”

“Sorry but can’t talk to strangers.”   She turned away sipping in her cola.

“Are we strangers now? You’re talking to me.”

“Mister, I’m not in the mood. Please talk to someone else.”   She wondered why he would talk to her leaving all the y ones.

“But you’re the only one decent looking.”    He touched her hair making her snap. She moved away, not wanting to cause a scene.

“Stay away...”   she muttered.     “Or my boyfriend will beat you up.”

“Boy friend!”   he chuckled.    “Where is he?”

She didn’t know what to do...she didn’t want to ruin Yoochun’s night.

Summer and Yoochun were dancing when Summer noticed some guy annoying Minyoung. She stopped and pulled away from Yoochun.

“Mickey, look at that.”   She pointed at them. Seeing the tensed face of Minyoung, he almost dashed at her when Summer stopped him.

“You’ll get in trouble. I have a plan...”   she leaned in and whispered to him.

Minyoung seriously didn’t know what to do. She only had to walk away and she was but he was following her.

“Are you looking for your non-existent boyfriend? Why not just come to me?”    he was about to grab her hand when Yoochun stopped at front with two glasses.

“Finally Min, I was looking all over for you. Here is the special cherry martini you wanted. Seriously you can be a nag sometimes.”  

Minyoung stared at him bewildered. Lance had the same expression. Yoochun looked at him with a frown.

“Min, are you telling him the same old story again?”

“What story?”    Lance asked this time.

“Oh, I should have stayed beside her. Whenever I’m late for one of her ‘orders’ she takes her anger by saying stupid things. Once she told a guy that I hit my head in the pit and died. She sometimes tries to make me jealous and makes me appear like a wrestler. She’s crazy sometimes.”

Her head titled up hearing him badmouth her. Lance nervously smiled and backed out leaving them alone.

“Crazy...?”    Minyoung asked him.

“That seemed like the only way. How about a dance with me?”

Right then...the song ‘Diamond’ started and the place was filled with couples. He held out his hand to her. Even though he made her appear as a crazy nag, he nevertheless got her out of trouble. Smiling, she took his hand and walked to the floor.

They danced together in the mid tempo song, twirling together and laughed when they missed a step or two. They didn’t leave each others’ hands. It was just like the dance lesson.

The night was good and few hours later they decided to go home.

Summer and Claire and other others bid them farewell. All hugged Minyoung and few girls kissed Yoochun on the cheek. They got in the cab and headed off.

They were quiet and smiling at the same time. They thought no words were needed. When they arrived at the Park’s villa; he finally said something.

“Thank you...”

“No...Thank you. I enjoyed the evening. Good night Yoochun.”

“Good night Minyoung. Before you go, I’d like to say something.”

“What is it?”

“You look better in your normal attire and tightly braided hair.”

She smiled hearing that. He liked the normal side of her better. She didn’t know what else to say.

“Night...”

He entered the cab and she preceded towards the door both feeling at ease.