Cook and the cassoulet.

Maestro

Hara and Yoochun had just finished their coffee while talking when both of your cells rang.

 

“Hello.”

 

“Hello.”   Both of them greeted to their respective callers.

 

“Huh…you two are together now?”   Both of them exclaimed then looked at each other…quite surprised.

 

“No, I’m all alone...”   they both lied hearing what the other line just said.

 

“Okay I’m coming.”   Both said and hung up.

 

Then they gaped at each other for few seconds unable to express their words.

 

“I think we should go.”   Hara said first.

Yoochun merely nodded and stood up paying his coffee while Hara paid hers.

 

“It’s kind of awkward for them to be together.”     Yoochun commented

 

“I told you they have nothing like that…if they did Minyoung would have told me first.”   Hara corrected.

 

“Maybe she doesn’t realise yet…the love grows slowly. Not everyone falls in love at first sight.”   He smirked; Hara returned.

 

While they walked together to the car Yoochun held her hand surprising the girl quite much. She had cleared everything even told him that she loved someone else…yet…he was just too stubborn.

__________________________________________________________

Junsu and Ga-in were getting back when their cells rang…they both received it and then looked at each other…they had been invited to a dinner party or more like competition. After hanging up they kept their weird gazes at each other.

 

“Looks like they took our words seriously…”   Ga-in commented.

 

“Hmm…these two are feistier than we were.”

 

“Well…I still think my Daemul will beat your girly man.”   Ga-in remarked.

 

“No way girl…you have no idea how well that man can cook and BTW…he isn’t girly…he’s just motherly.”

 

“He he…whatever…he’s a drama queen that I can tell.”

 

“Ooh you’ll eat up your own words.”

 

They kept arguing while heading off to Daemul’s place unaware of the situation of stalking.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“What’s taking them so long?”   Minyoung asked while unlocking the door.

 

“Relax; it has only been 15 minutes.”   Jaejoong stated.

 

“Quit whining Jaejoong…get in.”   She opened the door and let him in first.

 

~Was I whining? She was the one getting impatient. ~   He thought while entering…as soon as he stepped into the house he was stunned. This house was beautiful.

 

“Wow…you live here? This feels just like home…”   he commented.

 

“Well y mother taught how keep a home ‘home’ in her absence.”   She said keeping her groceries in the joint kitchen.

 

“You live alone?”   He asked. She nodded looking at him. Jaejoong thought in his mind for a minute…causing him to smile a little though he didn’t realize.

 

“You’re the first man besides my father and brother ever stepping into this house.”   She commented while getting the heater started.

 

“I must be very close then.”   Jaejoong boasted off.

 

“Don’t push your luck…sit down I’ll make some coffee.”     She washed her hands and started the stove.

 

“Your kitchen is beautiful…it’s open and nice.”   Jaejoong’s eyes sparkled looking at the big attached kitchen with the drawing room.

 

“Well thank you…you can freshen up then start working on your menu. Luckily I have four stoves and plenty of pans and space.”   She said.

 

Jaejoong nodded and looked around…this house was so warm and the walls were filled with photos. Many of them were of her family…but many of the pictures had a man and a woman. The man could be her father while the woman mother, but other half contained another woman with the same man except with a kid while the rest were with Ga-in and Hara. Hara looked radiant in each of those photos but it was best not to speak of her here.

 

“Were your parents divorced?”   Instead he asked that.

 

“No…mother died then father remarried and gave birth to my brother Stefan.” She answered while filling the cups with coffee and milk.

 

“How old were you then?”

 

“Most probably 10…sugar?”   She asked.

 

“A spoon…”

Jaejoong drifted into his thoughts once again…this girl was too disciplined for any of his actions…she wasn’t the type to fall to easily. She might not be attracted to guys at all. The bell rang twice. Minyoung left the cups onto the kitchen and went to the door. She opened to find four people at her door.

 

“You all are here together?”   She asked out of curiosity and let them in. both Junsu and Yoochun wowed the house as they put their coats on the hanger. Hara stood stunned at the sight of Jaejoong though she knew he was with Minyoung but still his sight hit her. But Jaejoong was more shocked seeing that Hara was with Yoochun all this time. He cleared his throat and looked away while Hara sat across his seat beside Yoochun.

 

“Your house is beautiful…”   Junsu smiled observing the ceiling.

 

“Thank you Junsu, care for some coffee anyone?”   She asked. Everyone raised their hands like students.

 

“So who thought of the idea of the competition all of a sudden? I thought it was just a fight between Junsu and Ga-in.”   Yoochun asked.

 

“Well mainly your buddy’s…but yes then I agreed.”   Minyoung took out more cups.

 

“Yes, because I called you a chicken.”   Jaejoong pointed out.

 

“The only chicken I will see when you cry after losing.”   Minyoung poured hot water into the cups and started mixing all.

 

“You’ll eat your own words.”   Jaejoong shot back.

Ga-in and Junsu looked at each other and the other bickering couple.

 

“You try eating my food.”

 

“I’ll sure end up crying after that…”

 

“Cause it’ll be too good.”

 

“Guys…get a room you two.”   Yoochun interfered the two causing the rest to look at him.

 

“Yoochun…they aren’t a couple.”   Hara pointed out slowly then looked at Minyoung. She seemed to be quite irritated at Yoochun’s comment.

 

 

“Alright, let’s get cooking.”   Jaejoong cut the awkward moment and stood up. He went to the kitchen with his coffee along with Minyoung who was quite mad and quiet.

 

“Where’s the apron?”   He asked…she just pointed without saying anything. Jaejoong got the feeling of her mood. That damn Yoochun couldn’t keep his mouth shut for a moment. Meanwhile Yoochun looked at the other three in front of him. They were eyeing him with frowns.

 

“What?”   He whispered.

 

“You really can’t shut up can you?”   Junsu remarked.

 

“Consider yourself lucky she didn’t beat the crap out of you…”   Ga-in added quietly.

 

“What did I say?”   He still seemed unaware of the whole thing. Hara could only sigh and look at them. She turned to see the cooks in the kitchen. Jaejoong chopped his veggies while sipping onto his coffee while Minyoung already was washing hers.

 

The sight of the two really cheered her up…no matter what Jaejoong did and was doing; he knew how to treat her friends. That was all she could be satisfied of.

 

“Alright audiences get ready for action…”   Jaejoong announced in a funny way while working.

He sliced the meat as thinly as possible then mixed the sugar, soy, mirin, garlic and 1 tsp of sesame oil; added the beef and stirred well.

Then he cracked over a good grind of black pepper.

 

Then he heated the oil on the stove then seared the meat for a few minutes and then added the spring onion.He then Stir-fried for another minute then added the sesame seeds.

 

“Mind you all and my competitor this has 343 k calories, protein 35.4g, carbohydrate 14.7g, fat 16.3 g, saturated fat 3.8g, fiber 1g, salt 2.95 g.”   He said while cooking it on one stove but Minyoung merely smiled at his way of speaking. It seemed like a show. The audience went ‘woo’ with it as if they found something very interesting in that information.

 

On the other stove he was steaming some basmati rice…

 

“That’s a lot of food Hyung.”   Junsu commented.

 

“Not enough though.”   He responded back.

He took down his one dish then put another pan on the stove with oil, his steamed rice was complete by then.

 

They shifted their eyes to Minyoung who was half through her dish…hers was different than Jaejoong’s.

 

“What are you making my dear Daemul?”   Junsu asked teasingly.

 

“Well since he’s doing the healthy food I was thinking why not something to balance it. Meat.”   She responded.

 

She had already done mixing beans, onions, garlic, carrots and tomatoes in a bowl. Then she started with a spoonful of the vegetable, inter-layered the vegetable mix and meats in a deep braising pan. Then she placed the bouquet garni in the center as everything was being stacked.

 

Then she poured her chicken stock on top to almost cover, and then brought to a simmer on top of the stove. She then sprinkled the breadcrumbs over the top and braised in the oven which would take 1 and half hour.

 

“1 hour has already gone only 30 minutes left, I’m sure you’ll be done by then Jaejoong?”   She asked causing Jaejoong to smirk.

 

“Of course.”

He responded while stirring the fried ginger and chili. And that took 30 minutes causing everyone to starve.

 

“How long people?”   They asked.

 

“More time please…patience.”   They both claimed.

 

In 30 minutes Jaejoong added the broccoli and splashed a bit of water then covered the pan. Minyoung simply poured more crumbs to moisten the stock.

 

In about two to three minutes Jaejoong added spring greens together with sherry and soy sauce and topped the spring onions while Minyoung removed her thing from the oven and allowed it to settle for a minute before serving.

 

“Wow…this looks awesome…”   Junsu and Ga-in eyed the food with gluttony.

 

“Hold you drools horses.”   Jaejoong commented while wiping his hands. Minyoung finally took a sip from her now cold coffee.

---------------------

 

“I cant tell whose better yours or hers.”   Ga-in and Junsu both stated with their mouth full at the same time in their drawing room on the dining table. Everything in the house was attached.

 

“Well I still think my Hyung’s are better.”   Yoochun grumpily said while munching onto Minyoung’s made pork cassoulet.

 

“Oi admit that her pork is good.”   Hara chewed onto to Jaejoong’s made dish. She couldn’t deny that his dish was just too good…perhaps better than Minyoung’s. But she couldn’t say that out loud.

Yoochun couldn’t admit the fact that he actually like Minyoung’s dish better than Jaejoong’s…that would lead to something else.

*Only my mother could make dishes like this…*

 

Minyoung munched on his dish that put a smile on her face… ‘This is so better than mine…’.

Jaejoong munched on the meaty and juicy pork and his face made an urged look of savoring the meat.

~My goodness…this is unbelievable. So juicy and tender yet crunchy.~

 

“Tell me the most important thing you two.”   Yoochun caught everyone’s attention.

 

“What is it?”   Jaejoong responded.

 

“Who’s gonna wash the dishes?”

Tension fell on everyone’s faces at the question Yoochun had brought up. Definitely both Junsu and Yoochun knew how Jaejoong hated washing dishes yet he cant see the situation where Minyoung would have to clean everything up. That would seem so wrong.

 

“What do you mean who’s gonna wash the dishes? Its my house so its my job.”   Minyoung answered monotone.

 

“What are you talking about? Surely this is your house but I used some of your kitchen stuff too, so I should definitely help you.”   Jaejoong suggested.

 

“No need, I can handle it.”   She refused.

 

“Okay you two…you can help each other out right. Minyoung gulp down your ego and Jaejoong, eat up your humbleness. But the main thing is…who won?”   Junsu asked.

 

“I cant say…don’t think I’m biased or anything but DAEMUL WON!”     Ga-in snickered at Junsu.

 

“Heh! Jaejoong won…I like his one better.”   Junsu put a smug on his face.

 

“Liar! I can clearly see you like hers…”   Ga-in frowned

 

“If that’s the case why not ask the rest?”   They both looked at others. Hara and Yoochun fell into a tension as they both couldn’t agree to their decisions. They both shrugged with a ‘te-hee’ face. While Jaejoong and Minyoung waved off the topic.

 

“Are we the only one serious about this?”   They both exclaimed.

 

“Give it a rest Ga-in, I know you enjoyed Jaejoong’s dish while Junsu enjoyed mine.”   Minyoung seriously had no problem of speaking out her mind.

Jaejoong only chuckled at her comment and the others faces even though there was nothing funny in it. Minyoung looked at him with an eyebrow raised.

 

“Come and help me clean the dishes.”   She shortly said and left the table to the kitchen. Jaejoong lightly whined even though he said he wanted to but didn’t actually think she would agree.

 

They started cleaning up the table one by one leaving the four and put them into the washer. Junsu and Ga-in were chatting sitting on the sofa while Hara and Yoochun thought of seeing the house.

 

“Can I take him to the balcony?”   Hara asked Minyoung while leaving the table.

 

“Sure take him anywhere besides my bedroom.”  

 

While they left the room Jaejoong and Minyoung did their work.

 

“I cant believe you Jaejoong, you still whine about putting a simple dirty dish in the washer.”   Minyoung complained.

 

 

“Hey, I don’t have one so I thought you wouldn’t have one too.”

   He counter backed.

 

“Well I don’t have time to wash the dishes so mother thought of everything she could to save my time for studies.”

 

“Now what then?”   He asked.

 

“Just wait for them…and I’ll have some hot coffee since I had to drink a cold one.”   She started to make coffee while Jaejoong took off.

 

He kept wandering around the house…he remembered not to enter her bedroom. Like he knows which of the rooms is her bedroom. There were too many rooms on this floor he wondered what she had on the second floor. He could see the staircase from which he clearly understood that her room was on the second one. So he avoided the stairs. Neither Junsu nor Ga-in noticed he was roaming around. Minyoung lazily drank her coffee.

 

He walked around the stairs where he found a way out…not out of the house but an open space. Probably a backyard or a balcony and he was right. But what he saw in front of him totally shook him, the back of Yoochun.

 

Yoochun’s face was covering Hara’s face and his hands were it. It seemed as if…they were kissing. He hid himself and stood there for a second.

 

~I shouldn’t have come here, I shouldn’t have seen this. I have to go.~

But he couldn’t leave for some reason. He peeked out again…he saw her smiling face which was genuine. He quickly went back inside thinking he had been lingering there for too long. He rushed to the kitchen and stood near the dish washer. He looked around for Minyoung. Junsu and Ga-in were still talking but this time they were walking and looking at the photos in the house.

   The washer beeped startling Jaejoong. He out of rush opened it and took out a dish and drying it with a cloth. He had t get her out of his mind…seriously for sure and forever. He couldn’t live like this and it seemed crazy cause there were other more attractive women he had seen but she was like a drug to him. He…he couldn’t even tell his feelings to her yet he feels so forward.

   He put the dish aside and took out another one. While doing that Minyoung suddenly returned with her cell.

 

“Oh you already took it out…thank you.”   She said and took a dish out and started wiping it unaware of the fact that Jaejoong wasn’t listening to her.

 

“Sorry for leaving, my mother suddenly called.”   She said thinking of just explaining herself. Then she realized that he didn’t respond or answer anything. She observed him closely…he seemed lost.

 

“Jaejoong…”   she called when Jaejoong snapped but the dish broke in his hands and blood oozed out.

He had finally come to his senses.

 

“Oh…sorry Minyoung I didn’t realize.”   He said and bent down to clean the broken pieces on the floor.

 

“Hey stop that.”   Minyoung held his wounded hand and stood him up.     “You don’t need to do that. Wait here.”   She quickly went upstairs and in a moment came out with an aid. Surprisingly none noticed as Jaejoong was too quiet about it.

She took out bandages, antiseptic liquid and crème. She held his hand under the water to wash out his blood. She then dried the wetness of his hands and put the towel aside; applied the slight burning liquid on his cut. Jaejoong didn’t seem to respond to the pain. He merely stood there…dazed. She applied the crème and wrapped his hands neatly.

 

“There you go…done.”   She put the box aside.

 

“Thank you.” He whispered. She bent down and cleaned the pieces and threw them in the trash.

 

“Sorry for that daemul.”   He apologized.

 

“That’s ok…no harm done besides your hand.”   She responded understanding his mood. Something happened she understood but she cant disclose it. She couldn’t get involved in it.

 

“I’ll do the rest…go take a sit.”   She said while taking out another plate.

 

“No, I’ll help you…”   but he received a glare from her.

 

“I said to take a seat young man. Don’t disobey your senior.”   She ordered and like a good boy he went to the sofa and slumped down.

 

“Hyung what happened?”   Junsu and Ga-in finally came and saw his hand.

 

“Huh? Just a cut nothing else.”

 

“What?”

In that same moment Hara and Yoochun entered. Hara saw the sight of Jaejoong’s bandaged hand. She would have run to him…but something stopped her-his glare.

 

“Is it too bad?”   Yoochun asked walking to him.

 

“Not at all… Minyoung made sure it was neat.”   Jaejoong smiled at Yoochun.

 

“Thanks Daemul, you really are a big man.”   Yoochun smiled at the woman who kept wiping other plates.

 

“It’s really nothing Yoochun. Don’t make it seem as if I had saved him from the all almighty dishes.”   She teased.

 

“For me it’s the same.”   He responded back.

Hara never took her eyes off Jaejoong. But he didn’t even look at her…what was his problem? She rubbed one of her eyes as it had been itching since this morning.

________________________________________________

 

The guys dropped the girls’ home after leaving Minyoung’s place. There were things going in Jaejoong’s and Hara’s mind while Yoochun was super happy.

   Jaejoong lay down on the seat and Yoochun was humming. Junsu was driving this time.

 

“Why are in such a good mood?”   Junsu asked.

 

“Something happened.”   He answered humming.

 

“What happened?”   Jaejoong asked.

 

“Closure…” he smiled at the window.

 

“Hara?”   Junsu guessed

Yoochun nodded energetically. He cant take out the moment of his mind when he was close to her though he had been close to many girls before. But after hara’s rejection he would do anything to get close to her and he did.

While checking out the balcony which was absolutely beautiful, Hara was rubbing her eye. She said it had been giving her issues since morning. He took this chance and took her face in his hands and blew warm in her eye. He was so close to her…it made him closer to kissing her. Though he couldn’t kiss her unless she permitted him but she didn’t even love him and she accepted that. She wouldn’t hang him in this as she said hopeless thing. It wasn’t hopeless to him…this thing gave him hope for another chance.

 

He laid his hands back down on knees and started praying in his mind for his hope to come true…as god was his only hope and Hara was his hope to live completely.

 

Ah the smile she gave was true…nevertheless it was friendly in her eyes but he had seen the ray of another chance.

 

Jaejoong pretended to fall asleep only wishing to forget Hara…that was too much to see and bear.

 

~I cant believe this…I have only known her for like not even a month and I’m…I’m…completely, totally, irrevocably falling in love with her. She is turning like a peaceful sleep for me without which I cant live peacefully. I have to do something.~

 

He sighed…he had to do something or else he might hurt Yoochun and he didn’t want Yoochun to get hurt.

------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------

----------------------------