Canard

Maestro

 

__________________________________________________________________________

Fine day Sunday, in everyone’s opinion; best day of the week. No school, no work, stay t home all day... of course there are few who don’t know to enjoy such opportunity such as dear Park Yoochun also known as Mickey. He was sitting down near his piano and was pressing random keys…he was bored to death and he was expressing that through the poor piano. Junsu was giving Jaejoong some medicine but each of the press of gloomy tunes was irritating him. His head tilted at each tune. Yoochun was playing the gothic tune of Halloween and that was definitely not the environment to hear such music. The weather needed romantic music. Junsu put the glass of water on the bed side table and walked to Yoochun.

 

“Why don’t you go out for a while Hyung? What do you think?”   Junsu asked. Yoochun pursed his lips thinking whether he should. He saw Jaejoong’s situation and he could not just leave him like that.

 

“Don’t worry Hyung; you don’t have to feel bad for leaving him. Anyways you would kill him with that horrible music of yours.”   Junsu muttered.

 

“Oi! I’m not that bad with music composition…I’m just…bored.”   Yoochun remarked.

 

“Then go out…”   Junsu answered and went back to Jaejoong who was just sitting and looking at them. Fortunately Yoochun had known nothing and Jaejoong intended to keep it that way.

 

“You mean it? I mean how will you take care of him alone?”   Yoochun looked at Jaejoong.

 

“Hyung is not a baby to look after, neither he’s sick. He is only injured at minimal. I just need to company him.”   Junsu monotone answered him. Jaejoong smiled lightly as he heard Junsu speaking in a very bored tone. He had never seen him like that. He could see changes in Junsu after coming here, otherwise he was always so timid and considerate and was careful with his words and here…he was directly saying Yoochun’s music might kill Jaejoong.

He liked the new Junsu. Not that he hated the old one.

Yoochun jumped up from his piano seat and went to his room. Junsu looked at Jaejoong who lay down on his pillow.

 

“I really think Ga-in deserves punishment.” He muttered. Jaejoong sighed; he had been hearing it since yesterday. Right then Junsu remembered some things from yesterday…what Ga-in had said to him.

 

“Come tomorrow at 10:00 in the morning, there is someone I would like you to meet.”   She had said. Junsu thought this for a while during that time. He was sure that she wasn’t trying to trick-she wasn’t like that so he agreed. Right now it was almost 10.

 

“Hyung I think you should drop by your home…I need to go out.” Junsu said.

 

“Alright, you go, I’ll go later.”   Jaejoong said. He knew if he didn’t agree then Junsu might not go out whatever reason it was for. Junsu intentionally spoke that way to make him feel like that. He had to learn to be technical. But actually Junsu just didn’t want his Hyung to be alone at the moment.

Yoochun headed out early, Junsu and Jaejoong went later. Junsu dropped Jaejoong first to his house with his car while Yoochun walked wherever he was going.

While Junsu drove on the road, he remembered where Ga-in told him to meet.

 

“If you want to know, meet me here same place, right here in the backyard.”

The university’s backyard… that’s where she wanted to meet him. Why of all places she had to meet him there? Who did she want him to meet anyway?

He concentrated on the road…he knows she has no choice but to tell him the truth.

_____________________________________________________________________

 

Yoochun stepped into the bookstore to get the opportunity to see Hara again. He was way too happy to even think for once whether she comes here on Sundays or not. He looked around for few minutes and touched few books…he was thinking, expecting to be exact-for her to come any moment. The shop keeper saw him and went towards the poor lost boy.

 

“Is there anything you need?”   She asked startling Yoochun.

 

“Uhh…no, no I don’t need anything thank you.”   He said looking around.

 

“Looks like you’re looking for someone, if you mean no harm I can tell whom you’re looking for.” She said.

 

“Really? I mean no harm to Hara, please tell me when she…”

 

“Hara doesn’t come here in Sundays. She comes here Saturday morning mostly.”   She stated disappointing him. He missed his chance yesterday.

 

“Thank you…”   he and sadly left the store. The woman pitifully looked at him.

He exited the store and kept walking forwards…he was thinking to call her but as the shopkeeper said she doesn’t come here means she must be enjoying herself, so calling her would cause disturbance.

His heart felt breaking apart with the sad violin music…

 

*What? Music…violin…the music is actually being played…and I thought I was going crazy…I must look for It.*

He started following the tune. He walked ahead only to notice that he was going was going inside the forest near the store. He kept walking and the thing that was making him think more was that why is he the only one who hears it? If others do, why don’t they look for it as well? Many people seem not to come on Sundays which means the player has chosen a perfect day to play.

He climbed up the hilly ground almost slipping every time. He wondered how the player did it. Above the fact it was a female and wore a knee length gown. She did have very long hair.

He finally found the place again, the same girl, same dress, same violin and the hair flowing in the cold wind. She played the tune lacrimosa of Mozart. The tune was not sweet rather biblical which made him realize his existence in the world and do something for the creator. These thoughts were only for nuns. She might be a nun; no she must be a nun. This is the second time he heard her play and it had a tragic feeling. Sunday…she must come here every Sunday.

 

*Can I go and say hi to her? Then say I’m a big fan of hers…what if she thinks I’m a stalker…well I might be in a case. She must not see me…but I want to see her face…this seems so wrong on so many levels.*  

In the end he just decided to stick to hearing. He kept hearing the music and memorized the tune however the tune kept horrifying him to an extent of death.

He had to memorize the tune.

________________________________________________________________

Jaejoong’s mother was feeding him forcefully-specially her homemade cookies. They were not bad at all except they were VERY BAD. But as a good son he couldn’t say no to her. His sister was laughing a lot and his brother was enjoying the show. The little boy had called in sick so he can’t have his mommy’s cookies and the sister had called in for a diet for her upcoming marathon…so he had to be the only one.

           After the cookie-treat, or death treat his mother brought him a glass of milk seeing his weak condition. He hadn’t been feeling very well and Ga-in’s punch was really something to be afraid of. But he didn’t blame her…he knew what she felt. But the fact surprised him was none of the girls at SM university dared to touch him like that while the cheerleaders did in a different way- they tried taking off his clothes or capture him during shower at boys restroom. He couldn’t even shower after a game or entire day class. But this girl actually punched him, the face that is so much considered beautiful, no one wanted to put a scratch on it but she did. She really didn’t care for faces; she’ll be very good as Junsu’s friend. He could see they were getting close even though in a twisted way.

Then the thought of Minyoung came into his head…she wasn’t like any other…she seemed more strict than others especially about guys. But any girl can’t say no once a man with a face like his says that he loves her. But he couldn’t be so sure of it; after all he knew Hara and Ga-in more than Minyoung. So he doesn’t know what she’s like.

He had something in his mind.

_____________________________________________________________________________

Junsu got out of the car and went around the building. He walked towards the backyard until he reached here. He caught Ga-in standing in the middle of the field with a heavy coat on. The morning was very cold.

Their eyes met when Ga-in turned around. Junsu stood behind her ready to ask when she started walking. He followed despite not being said anything.

 

“I’m taking you to a girl’s house who is a junior of mine. Her name is Anna and she lives two blocks behind this building.”   She said as they walked.

 

“Why are we going there?”   he asked.

 

“You wanted evidence; I’m giving you one, evidence in person.”   She stated. They kept walking until few houses came into sight.

 

“You the house with blue roof, that’s her house.”   She pointed at the house as she went ahead.

 

They reached the house and walked to the door. Ga-in looked at Junsu once; he looked back but didn’t say anything. She turned to the door and pressed the bell. A woman in her forties slightly opened the door.

 

“Mrs. Lakers, it’s me Ga-in.”   She said.

 

“Oh Ga-in…come in dear…”   she opened the door wide and let her in. Ga-in motioned Junsu to enter. He bowed to her first.

 

“A friend I see…do come in.”   She let Junsu enter the house. Ga-in opened her coat and hanged it aside, while Junsu kept his jacket on. The house was warm and seemed very English type. He saw few pictured hanging in the chatting room. A young girl, Mrs. Lakers and a British man. He had seen the girl before in the movie theatre. It was this girl who seemed to have admired her.

The woman led them to the chatting room and told them to sit.

 

“I’ll bring something for you kids.”   She said.

 

“Thank you, is Anna here?”   Ga-in asked.

 

“Yes, right now I think she’s taking a shower why don’t you kids wait?”   she said and left to the kitchen.

 

Ga-in looked at Junsu who was still observing the picture.

 

“Anna’s father is a bishop at the church here so you may guess how strict he is in terms of privacy. He’s very conservative about his daughter and in a family like this a girl cannot even have a boy as a friend.”   She said. Junsu just could drop off the sky…families like this still exists in Korea? How hypocrite can people get?

 

“He only allowed Anna to study music because of her grandfather who wanted to study music as well. Her luck favored her in that area or else he would have given her up to the Covent. She sings at the church every Sunday after lunch with other singers. You sing too don’t you?”   She suddenly asked. Junsu nodded.

 

Sounds came from the stairs which meant Anna was done. She came down and saw them.

 

“Ga-in unnie how are you?”   she went up and hugged her. She was wearing a light full sleeved dress.

 

“You seem ready for the church.”   Ga-in stated.

 

“Oh yes, father has told me to invite you this time. He wouldn’t mind even if you wear that.”   She teasingly pointed at her dress. Then Anna looked at Junsu.

 

“This is Junsu, my classmate. I have actually come here for something. It seems our dear Sungmin had been throwing around some rumors. I want you to get some letters out.”

Anna’s face was dumb struck. She couldn’t understand why she would show some unknown guy the letters, but as she said there must be some good reason. She nodded and went upstairs. Mrs. Lakers brought in some snacks.

 

“Don’t forget to have them…”   she stated and left. Few seconds later Anna came down with 10 sets of envelope. Each of those was either in light pink or white or light yellow with hearts on them. They seemed like love letters to him. Ga-in handed them to Junsu.

 

“Open them and read.”   She ordered. Junsu slowly opened one of them and read in mind.

 

“Dear Anna

       You might not know me but I’m a classmate of yours who sat beside you at your very first day. I cant tell you how I felt at that time. My heart beat faster than ever…can this be called love?”

 

Such cheesy words! It wanted to make him puke. Anyone would know that none of these words were sincere. He continued.

 

“Yes I guess it can be, I have fallen deeply in love with you at my very first sight. It took me great courage to send this letter. Please read it and reply. I will wait.

Sungmin.”

 

“Sungmin…he wrote this?” Junsu asked.

 

“Do you know him Mr.?” Anna asked.

 

“Yes, a little.”   He really regretted this.

 

“Read the next one.”   She handed him another one. He opened and read it.

 

“Why didn’t you say anything Anna? Do you know how my heart was waiting for your reply? I cannot live without you, please meet me… your Sungmin.”

 

‘How dare he?’   Junsu thought. He roughly took up another letter and started reading it.

 

“Anna, oh Anna please don’t avoid me like this. I cannot live like this, please meet me.”   He threw the letter away. Ga-in and Anna were quite shocked to see this. He was so angered with the words he had read. He took up another letter and this time it was something more disgusting.

 

“How dare you avoid me? If you don’t comply to my feelings then you will see the worst of me.”   Junsu was astounded as he put this letter away. He looked at Anna who looked at him bewildered.

 

“Mr. Lakers did not know about this at first…then he suddenly found Sungmin forcing Anna. He was so angry that he thought Anna was consenting to it. She was grounded for 7 days without coming to college.”   Ga-in said.

 

“What? Why did he think that? He should thought what any father would think…that he was…”   he trailed off.

 

“My father knew that it wasn’t my fault…he was just so angry, then I showed the letters to him and he decided not to let me continue there.”   Anna said.

 

“Why didn’t you go to the principle?”   Junsu asked.

 

“Ga-in unnie did…instead of us.”   Anna trailed off.

 

“How did you know?”   Junsu asked looking at Ga-in.

 

“Few of her class mates approached me; apparently they thought I could teach him a lesson. I took all the letters to the principle and to catch him red handed, he told Anna to come to college. When she joined again, Sungmin approached her and started to annoy her again when principle came in and suspended him for a month. A second try would cost him expelled…things had quieted down for a while but…after Sungmin’s suspension ended he had decided to annoy the friends that had approached me, Jihu was her name.”   Ga-in answered.

 

“Then what?”   He asked further.

 

“It was the same time when you saw me bullying the boy. I was actually bullying him for annoying Jihu and warned him being expelled…but now I think I must get him expelled.”   Ga-in brushed her hair back.

Junsu sighed and laid back. He had been so stupid to think of her like this. It was so different what that brat had told him.

 

‘Notes stolen my !’   he thought.

Sungmin had also told him what Ga-in was like, he should have known back then.

 

“Anna could you leave us a second?”   Ga-in requested. Anna nodded and went up to her room. Ga-in looked at Junsu’s state.

 

“I punched Jaejoong and I know that was wrong but…Hara loves Jaejoong.”   She said surprising Junsu.

 

“What? But Yoochun…”

 

“I know Yoochun loves her and he has proposed to her…I punched him because…he said he didn’t love her…Hara wouldn’t have minded that at all but…he said to accept Yoochun avoiding the fact whether she liked Yoochun at all or not, and above all I found out yesterday that Jaejoong does love her. He lied to Hara…then why…”   she stopped.

 

“That was a low act of him. If he really didn’t like her then its no problem but why did he have to interfere in her choice?”   she added further.

Junsu looked away…Jaejoong Hyung loved Hara and she loved him but she doesn’t know. Is that why Hyung had been so depressed these days?

 

“I’m sorry Junsu for hurting Jaejoong.”   She apologized shaming Junsu even more.

 

‘I should be saying sorry…’ he thought.

 

“Are you guys finished?”   Anna peeked in. Ga-in responded and she came in..


“How about you come too Mr. Junsu to the church?”   Anna asked.

 

“Uhh….”

 

“Of course he would come…he sings too.”   Ga-in said before he could say anything.

___________________________________________________________________________

 

“Oh we are short of male today; Danny had to leave on sickness. What am I going to do?”   Mr. Lakers whined with his British accent in his Korean

 

“Father he could take Danny’s place…he is also a singing student…I’m sure he can…”  

 

“What’s your name boy?”   Mr. Lakers asked before Anna could finish.

 

“Kim Junsu sir, nice to meet you.”   He bowed.

 

“Can you sing this?”   he handed him a paper of notes. It was an opera about Jesus’ birth, as usual for every church.

 

“Of course, I have been singing this since I was 10.”   Junsu happily stated.

 

“Ok then stand up and go stand above Anna. Anna, take position.” Her father asked.

“Yes father…”   she stood upon the first stair step and Junsu stood upon the 2nd one. Ga-in sat in the first row of the seats waiting for the prayer to start. Many people had already come and took their seats with their notes to sing. Ga-in also had been given one. They were in Latin with Korean translation below. Looking at Anna Junsu really didn’t think that she might be caged, instead he felt that Anna herself felt protected which was why they were so free to each other.

Mr. Lakers brought in a huge cross to bestow blessings of Jesus around the four corners of the church. The choir started.

They sang while Mr. Lakers walked to the first corner of the wall with few padres behind him. They kept singing the song of the arrival of the son of god. Ga-in looked at the paper, and then her eyes fell on Junsu who was singing with much gratefulness. She didn’t understand him, neither had she understood as to why she needed to explain all of it to him. The contract was no excuse, there was something else. She wanted to make herself clear to him though she didn’t know why. Suddenly Junsu’s sight fell on her…she kept staring at him with much bewilderment. He didn’t know whether it was because the way he behaved before or something else. Maybe it was due to his behavior…he didn’t stop singing but he didn’t take his eyes off her. He had smile on his face a while ago but it slowly disappeared.

Ga-in didn’t regret coming to church this time…which she always had.

_____________________________________________________________________________________