Castle of three

Maestro

She was there where he had called her to be and she was waiting for few minutes till he finally came. However the place was known to her and the sky turned dark.

 

“Oh no it’s gonna rain. Sorry for calling you not knowing the weather.”

Mickey apologized looking up the sky.

 

“That’s fine. Take me where you’ve been wanting to.”

They walked off the road into the trees and with each step Mickey noticed her reaction which didn’t show much.

At last when they arrived at the perfect spot he turned to her.

 

“This is the place I’ve wanted to show you…how do you like it?”

 

“Yoochun…how did you find this place?”

 

“It was quite some time ago when we first met you three…it was during I was trying to convince Hara of my so called feelings. It was then I heard a violin play and I followed the music. I saw this woman in orange dress with long hair but I couldn’t see her face. Her piece was beautiful and ever since then I’ve been coming here to listen to her.”

 

“You have never seen her? You never walked out before her?”

She asked quite with surprise.

 

“No at first I wanted to but then…I didn’t want to scare her. I was afraid she would stop coming once and for all…”

He saw her smiling for some reason. He thought she would be anxious with him knowing but she wasn’t shocked at all.

 

“It was because of her I finally realized that…I was never in love with Hara. I had a misconception of it.”

 

“Love has a wide meaning you know…so I wouldn’t blame you.”

 

“I guess so but I do want to see her…I wanted to thank her for so many things.”

 

“Like what I may presume?”

 

“She taught me…the pragmatism of love. It is not all feelings…it is how two people understand and care for each other. How committed two people should be when in trouble and not just by staying aside but financially too.”

Somehow this was not the Mickey she knew and he finally understood that this ‘love’ thing is all about support in every way and he had become clearer and at the same time more confused. but one thing he knew now is that he can always choose the person he likes. It could be Minyoung or someone else. Although he still cant imagine himself with her.

The rain fell down and this time they didn’t run from it. they sat on the grass and talked and within that time she still didn’t reveal a thing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

She was getting on her nerves with his daily visits and jokes shared about her. They would talk about how she had her potty trained and her runny nose and her clumsy tripping. Her father and Jaejoong would laugh their asses off. her mother would say nothing but encourage them.

 

“I’ll kill that .”

She had bewared herself from telling this to anyone specially after what Mickey had said about burdening others. As much as she wished her friends to kick his , she couldn’t help but keep it quiet.

 

Things got even more out of control when he and her father would play twister! Oh the agony she had to suffer seeing their twisted limbs over one another.

 

“Why cant they just stop?”

 

“Oh why fret? They are having such nice time. I haven’t seen any young man having fun with your dad…he used to curse this generation till he came along. Good thing he is your friend. I like having him here.”

 

“He isn’t that smart you know…for all I know he is trying to annoy me.”

Her mother put the cup aside and giggled.

Even if she didn’t tell her mother; she knew it anyway.

Jaejoong interrupted the moment coming in and took a cup of tea. He smiled at the women and went out when Hara chased him and muttered.

 

“Jaejoong why cant you just stay away from my family?”

 

“Because I like them and I genuinely do. They are nice folks.”

 

“Of course they are nice and I believe you liking them genuinely but…you are here to bother me!”

She whispered harshly at him.

 

“That is true too. I am here to annoy you because that is the only way to get to you. What wouldn’t a person do to make the person they love, to talk to them?”

Hara just stood there hearing that as Jaejoong smiled and walked away.

 

“What a jerk?”

She mumbled to herself.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“This is gonna be just gorgeous I tell you. You’ll love the place. There are no hotels, no spa, no services and-“

 

“No sanitary restrooms I suppose Junsu. Sounds like you are taking me to a real luxurious vacation.”

Ga-in smirked and murmured.

They were sitting at the garden outside the hospital. They were visiting Hyori who seemed better than before.

 

“Very funny piper. You will like it.”

 

“You will come to bid daemul farewell right?”

 

“Yeah. She deserves it too.”

Junsu responded quietly.

 

“So what else will we get there? Dirty cows to clean?”

 

“Yeah…”

Junsu smirked in an evil way making Ga-in laugh out. This would be the best vacation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

All embraced Minyoung i.e. all the girls.

 

“Have a safe trip daemul.”    Ga-in hugged her tightly almost choking her.

 

“I should be safe from you first.”    She muttered when piper finally let her go making all giggle.

 

“Say hi to your family.”   Hara said smiling to her; Minyoung nodded as a response.

 

“Well come back soon. We’ll miss you.”     Junsu stated embracing her from her side and none of them seemed to mind.

 

“I’ll miss you too.”    Jaejoong was about to do the same when Minyoung stated.

 

“Touch me and you’re dead.”

Jaejoong quickly stepped back; his hands held up as surrender. All this time Yoochun was quiet and she finally noticed. Mickey took her luggage and walked to her.

 

“How about I walk you in?”

She nodded hearing that request and let him walk ahead as the rest stayed behind.

 

“Is there something going on between them? They are going along pretty well.”

Jaejoong looked at Hara who only snorted at him.

 

“Geez Jaejoong, you get stupider every day.”

And it was Ga-in who answered to that.

 

Meanwhile they walked quietly as if no words were needed now. He finally gave the bag to her when he was no longer allowed to proceed but he did have some things to say.

 

“I’m glad we talked…”

She nodded.

 

“I have your address and number.”

 

“Yeah. I’ll call you too when I get there.”

He pursed his lips smiling and he had no idea why he was acting like this.

 

“I’ll…miss you Daemul.”

 

“Me too.”

And it was finally time to go…

2 weeks…just 2 weeks.

He only waved his hand at her and she waved back.

She will miss him actually.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

They both threw their bags in the bus as the driver closed the deck and opened the door.

 

“So this is how we are going. Not by our cars or jets but by bus…a normal public bus.”    Ga-in stated as they entered the bus and took their seats with various others; specially old people.

 

“Yeah…don’t tell me you never travelled by buses.”

 

“I did with my junior girls but never alone or with men…the guy friends I had were punks. So where is this bus going?”

 

“Bongha. That’s where we’re going.”

He spread out a smile at her and looked at front and time just moved on. Time moved on very noisily as old people sang at one time and Junsu was asked to sing and Ga-in was asked to play her flute which she had brought along.

And one time the bus would stop for oil and restroom work and they would buy some snacks and as the night fell they both fell asleep with Ga-in on the window and Junsu on her shoulder even though he tried hard not to.

And even though they were sound asleep; people around them whispered.

 

“They have lots to go through…”

 

“Children these days cant be committed. At first they will seem overly compatible but next they will be each others’ throats. It can be the same for them…”

 

“Lets pray they learn that soon without hurting each other much.”

Somehow even though Ga-in heard none, Junsu heard all. He didn’t want to believe that even though it was true and on top of that to support their opinion, she came from a broken family.

What they said of young people of today was entirely true-there was no commitment; it was just all about momentary passion which is forgotten later.

If that was the case then he would rather be friends with her. He didn’t move. He didn’t dare to move.

 

As soon as the bus arrived it was dawn time. Junsu woke up and saw the people around him dragging themselves up. He noticed he was still on her shoulder and he shook her lightly and she sniffled waking up.

 

“We’re here?”

 

“Yep, here take my hand.”

 

“Thanks Junsu.”   She took it and stood up; getting off the bus and the sun hadn’t risen up. They took out the bags with the rest and headed walking with them. They would rest first and then decide what they would do.

 

“Junsu…why do you look so dazed?”   she yawned and asked.

 

“I’m just sleepy as you are.”

 

“Where will we stay?”

 

“There is an old couple who had agreed to let us stay for three days.”

 

“Really? We couldn’t just get a hotel here?”

 

“Nope.”  He gave her a teasing smile.    “We’ll pay them instead and work in their farm.”

 

“Cleaning cow dung.”   She muttered.

 

“Hmm. It’ll be useful when you have kids.”

 

“Like hell…kids…well I just don’t want to end up cleaning poop.”

She clicked her tongue thinking of it.

 

“Then I’ll clean up the poop, you clean the vomit.”    Junsu suggested and shook his head lightly. They soon arrived that the small house while the others had gone either to hotels or some greater looking house.

Two people came out; an old man and a woman and welcomed them with much energy as if they had been waiting all night. Junsu somehow got excited and hugged them as if he knew them! The woman came to Ga-in and hugged her patting her back as they sat out in their bench.

 

“Well honey I’m going out to the farm. Let the kids rest.”    The old man stated clearing his throat.

 

“Did you eat Mister?”    Junsu asked compassionately.

 

“Oh yes I did. She will have food ready for you both once you two are done resting.”

 

“Oh where will you be working? Which farm?”

 

“You can ask about my name and they will direct you.”

 

“Now dears I have your rooms ready.”   The woman took Ga-in inside first to show her room and later came out to take Junsu to his room.

Ga-in was actually awed at how homey it was. It was small but convenient and it even had a comfy bed. She slumped on the bed and immediately shut her eyes. She had no idea why she was here at farm. She had been in the darkest side of the streets but never in the farms.

She was actually looking forward to this. She was actually for something like this in life. This could be a test for her patience.

 

She wanted to see Junsu…she wanted to thank him for this. Even with cleaning cow-dung.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ga-in’s sleep broke due to a striking hunger in her stomach. She looked around and found a clock to see that it was mid-day.  She got off the bed and noticed the attached bath and went into it. after a good shower and brushing she came out wearing her new dress and in this case she had to wear something loose and long.

 

She went out and saw the woman setting food on the floor.

 

“Want me to help?”

 

“There is nothing. Come and sit. Junsu will be coming soon.”

 

“Where had he gone?”   she asked coming forward.

 

“To work with my husband.”

 

“When did he leave?”   she sat on the floor.

 

“An hour ago. he said he’ll be eating when they both come back.”

She sighed…she didn’t feel like eating without him while he worked out there.

 

“Umm…can I get the food to them? It might be a long time till they come back.”

 

“Oh sure. That will be nice. I’ll pack them and you can take these after you eat.”

She started stuffing things in to quickly end her meal and the woman noticed it.

 

“Slow down, you’ll choke. You’re that anxious about your friend not eating?”

She didn’t reply and tried gulping all. It was true; she was anxious about his empty stomach. Nevertheless she soon finished it and took all the packed food; walking outside. The fool didn’t even know where they were working but she found few old men and asked about the old man. They directed her to the farm they were working on and after walking few minutes she noticed them making holes on the polythene on the soil. She had no idea what they were working on.

She rushed to them and called out loudly.

 

“Junsu! I got food for you both!”

And it got their attention as they both rushed towards her; making few others laugh. Some even commented on their funny act.

 

“You old gut! The young girl brought food for you! Why cant we have someone to do that?”

 

“Because you’re another old gut!”   a woman this time responded making rest cackle. They sat down and opened the packet and Junsu gobbled down like the older one as she watched. His face was filled with dirt; he’d been working real hard.

Junsu’s realization finally kicked in when he looked at her gulping.

 

“Did you eat?”    he had this look that was so…she had no idea what to call it. she nodded and he went back munching. She stood up and went to one of the older ones and was talking to them. He saw that one woman took Ga-in with her somewhere.

 

“Where are they going?”

 

“Perhaps she volunteered to work.”

Not knowing, a smile appeared on his lips followed by some noises of kids running along. He didn’t know there were kids here. Of course this place also had a tourist site but he chose to come to the non-tourist site. It was better than that.

 

He saw that she soon came out wearing a blue jumper and was handed a shovel to dig around and at first he thought she would have trouble with the strength required but with it; she worked pretty easily. He then realized that she was a street girl before; she knew how to fight and had the strength to lift the burdens of a farmer.

They worked around in the egg-plant farm and later the grain land. It was tough job for they had to try many times. They would be offered with tea and small breaks but they did it anyway. Dirt were on their clothes, face and hand but she; particularly didn’t mind.

She never thought she’d be enjoying it.

 

But alas the most painful job came by…cleaning horse …and yes they both had to do it. they stink like it and many teased them of it and soon when the sun finally set they were allowed to go home just like the rest.

The first thing coming home, they straight ran for the shower. After coming out, they sat for dinner and saw that many other people came to join them; smoking and drinking.

 

“Come sit with us kids. We’ll gossip all night.”

 

“Yeah, it’s not every day we have young people like you here. I wonder why you two are here instead of the tour-site.”

 

“Well we both wanted to get away from city life…even the tour site. Nothing is as hard as producing food.”   Junsu answered and Ga-in agreed to it. it was genuine.

 

“Are you two friends or lovers?”   another woman asked.

They both laughed not feeling the embarrassment. It was common to guess such a thing.

 

“We are friends.”   Ga-in answered that.

 

“Aww but you two are so good looking. Well what do you two do?”

 

“We both study Music. She studies at playing flute while I am at the general department.”

 

“Oh so you two can play and sing. Wonderful! Sing something for us!”

A woman suggested. They all agreed loudly and Ga-in went inside to bring out her flute and when she did she nodded curtly.

 

“I know an enka…obokuri eeumi…”

She knew that song; in fact it was one of the best Japanese enka. He sang and soon she joined in. they sang till their eyes were droopy enough and the rest suggested they should go to sleep. They both went inside and he was finally alone with her in the house.

 

“We’ve worked hard today.”   He stated yawning.

 

“Yeah…I’m beat. You weren’t kidding of cleaning dung.”

 

Junsu laughed before saying.      “Goodnight.”

 

“Night.”

They parted to their rooms and finally ended their day. This was what they called a useful day.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Her mother had gone out with her father for a walk; to take their time alone in the city. She was home cleaning her own room when the bell rang. She thought her parents might have come back. She went to get the door and opened it however it was only the jerk.

 

“What are you doing here?”

She noticed him carrying certain amount of bags.

 

“I brought some ingredients to cook good stuff tonight.”   He let out a bright smile.

 

“So? Take them to your home. I am sure your parents miss you.”

But he didn’t bother and just barged in with her going ‘Hey’ on him. he put the things on the counter and called out to her parents.

 

“They are out numb-nuts so you can go home.”

 

“Oh that’s fine. I can wait.”    He helped himself to the fridge while Hara crossed her hands on her chest.

 

“How come your parents don’t say anything not spending time home?”

 

“Simple…each are spending time on their own. Even my parents.”

 

“So you come to bother my parents…get out Jaejoong.”

Putting the juice bottle in the fridge and closing it; he looked at her.

 

“Are you afraid or something?”

 

“Of what?”

 

“Me…”

 

“Why would I be afraid of you? You lack strength.”

 

“You don’t know entirely. I was sick that time.”

She recalled the parking lot day when she had kicked him. he was sick that time. She sighed and cursed at him.

 

“Get the out Jaejoong before I kill you.”    She turned away from him; walking to the dining room but she felt her wrist being grabbed and pulled to his face. All there was a single gasp and the wide expression on her face while a serious one on his face.

 

“Let go…I am warning you.”

 

“I know the dangers but all I am asking is for a chance. What did I do? I didn’t cheat on you, I didn’t hit you, you…so why am I suffering such a wrath from you?”

 

“You insulted me…”

 

“And I am sorry for that. I’ve been trying to make up but even I have my patience.”

 

“Then give up and go for someone else damn it. why bother? You very well know I’m the most egoistic person there is.”

 

“Because I am sure that I can win your heart. But with you shutting me out all the time…I might as well do so.”

 

“Don’t care…I don’t care.”

The seriousness on his face turned to a smile.

 

“That’s what keeps me from giving up. Your persistence.”   He let her hand go noticing the sudden blush on her face. He did pull her close enough to make her shy…as much as she hated it. so why did it make him determined? Most girls would just simply give up forgiving him; hell most girls wont even take his act as an insult. They would think its quite romantic; she had her pride and she didn’t simply care. It was proving well enough that his face wasn’t the reason for her loving him.

 

“I actually wanted to kiss you right here…”

He mumbled out sending shivers inside her…that was indeed scary coming from his mouth. However the bell snapped all out as Hara rushed to the door while Jaejoong stood in the kitchen smiling lightly. She was hard work.

 

He heard them talking about going somewhere within few days altogether and they were arguing of Jaejoong coming with them. He sighed…she was trying to persuade them not to take him.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Yoochun was thinking of going somewhere with his family as the rest did however he heard them saying something else.

 

“Yoowhan is having a trip with his friends and so am I with my girlfriends. I thought you’d be having the same with your friends…”

Well they deserve a break. However where will he go?

 

“You can visit the States again or somewhere else this time. How about England?”

His eyes widened. Minyoung was there…perhaps he could visit her.

 

“Sure…I didn’t know we had our visa for UK…”

 

“We did…I’ll arrange your ticket.”

 

“Thanks mom…”

Somehow this didn’t seem like a bad idea.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Junsu was given a break and he was soaking peacefully with some old men in the sauna and as it seemed quite awkward for him, he wore boxers in the hot water.

The old man laughed and cackled on lame jokes and their laughs enough were funny for him. there were other young men but they were only serving them or would be leaving the village later.

 

“So Junsu…how long are you here?”

 

“Not for long. Classes will start soon and I would have to go back with my friend.”

 

“The lovely girl.”   The old man remarked. Junsu nodded and he wanted to ask the secret to be together from them because who knew better than them?

 

“Tell me…couples these days get married and get divorced quickly…why so?”

The old men around him thought for a while; trying to sought out a better answer.

 

“Because they think they are in love too quickly. They don’t take the time to think and judge other things apart from passion.”

One answered.

 

“Marriage in our days were arranged but even with that-where none of us know about each other-we at least try to figure out and have the determination to be committed. But kids these days marry on basis of so called love where the only thing they consider is, whether their hearts beats fast enough or whether they buy things for each other and text each other. They think they know all about each other whereas they know nothing.”

Another added.

 

“Sure you want to marry the person you love, but…do you know him enough? Does he have the same mentality as you? Can he feed you? Can he take care of you when you are sick in bed? Can he take your ranting during trouble? Do you both have the patience? Kids these days think that same mentality means same choice of movies, hobbies and colour.”

The third man added.

 

“Then…what do I need?”    Junsu finally asked referring to himself.

 

“Boy…you need patience with the girl. She seems to be the kind who would shut anyone who gets close to her. You need to tolerate her potty mouth, fists, her dangerous secrets and her background.”

It was true…he has to be patient with her. If he has to wait 20 years for that…so be it. this is of course, if he actually finds someone else who is compatible with him in every way.

 

“Bringing her here seems to be the best thing. You can see the real face of her in here.”   The first man added.

 

“Of course, we can all see the real thing when one cleans horse !”     the other added and they all ended up laughing out.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

She was outside the house with the large bag on her back and she hated the idea. She wondered why his parents didn’t say anything. The truth was his family was actually spending their own vacation for the first time. His parents on a lovely romantic trip while his sister with her girlfriends and his brother with his friends. They left him alone.

 

She saw Jaejoong helping out her parents and putting the things on the back and offered Hara to take the large bag off her back but she ignored it and threw it on the back herself.

 

They all hopped on the minivan and Jaejoong offered to drive and as responsible people, her father sat with Jaejoong in the front and Hara sat behind with her mother.

On the way…her life became hell because they kept sharing stories on how Hara had her potty trained.

 

Somebody kill me!

 

“Oh dear that was so funny!”    her mother was going to choke on her laughs.

 

“Ha ha ha.”   Hara glumly stated getting pissed at him. he could see through the glass but he was enjoying it. she huffed out looking outside the window to the beautiful scenery. She had to admit, her parents were enjoying and that alone made her happy. A faint smile appeared on her face as he noticed from the glass and he smiled himself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

The day was a fest for the farmers; their work had been paid off with good crops and good money selling off. Junsu and Gain had been busy all day selling and counting the money for the people and carrying things to the market. Many youngsters were wondering what they were doing here wasting their lives but they didn’t know the hurdles of city life. Not yet at least. After the long day, a celebration had been held after sunset and decoration were made with Junsu’s and Ga-in’s help.

 

Dances, music and drama were done and Junsu had been asked to sing with Gain playing. Soju was available for all and a late day sleeping were offered to all. And it was their second day, tomorrow would be their last day working here and they would be leaving. They wanted to come back…they wanted this night to last long.

 

As usual old women flirted with Junsu while Ga-in enjoyed her drink with men. Lastly they left their bottles and Junsu excused himself from the ladies. He wanted to walk alone under the night sky and soon offered Ga-in who accepted. They walked away from the fest into the dark farms looking at the baby crops.

 

“They look so well. So satisfying man. I wonder the pain when crops don’t come out like this.”     Ga-in remarked.

 

“This is the hard test all farmers must suffer…I wish to return after exam…I wish to work and teach music here.”

 

“I’m kind of thinking the same…”   she agreed.

 

“Let’s sit somewhere.”   He suggested and they walked few more moments before finding a steep place away from the lights. They sat there and soon noticed the fireworks on the sky. They were both amazed and gazed together.

 

“I have seen fireworks in the city but never had it looked so beautiful.”    Junsu murmured at the sky.

 

“Yeah…this is…certainly the best fireworks.”

Somehow he felt his stomach twist and no…it was not the soju. He looked at Ga-in who was gazing at the red and green fireworks as the light appeared on her face. He felt his heart beat getting faster at every blast in the sky and his breathing slowed. All the sounds seemed to have faded to his ears and a new sound appeared. Her breath…the sound of her breath and murmurs of her amazement. He was no longer in this world.

 

She didn’t notice it…until her put his palm on her face making him look at her.

 

Before she could ask anything he pressed his lips on her lower ones earning a slight gasp from her side. He was expecting her wrath however he cared none of it at the moment for her warm and tender yet wine filled lips intoxicated him. he could feel the tension within himself and her bewilderment but he really wanted her to feel the gentle touch he was giving her.

He didn’t want this to be a kiss.

He wanted this to be a gesture of his understanding, care and love.

 

She was stiff and shocked.

She felt it all coming from him and that scared her even more.

She can never fill her heart and mind with so much.

She had to stop this before its too late.

 

However he pulled away before she could.

His look was daunting but unreadable.

She was confused and she was right…he cannot control his feelings for her.

He ruined their chances of being good friends.

 

He stood up knowing she wont come with him; he opened his coat and put it on her before walking away and adding.

 

“Go home quickly Ga-in…”

She obeyed…however she ran away from him not saying a word.

She felt her eyes stinging as she cursed in her mind.

 

Junsu you idiot! Cant you ever stop doing that?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 He was finally there…at Heathrow airport and he had her address…a day to book his ticket and a day more arriving in England. Should she know he is here?

Well firstly he should get to his hotel. He went out and took a cab to the hotel and arriving there, he first wanted to sleep and then he would call her.

 

After 6 hours of sleep, shower and food he took up the phone and took out the number. He dialed and it was soon received by a man.

 

“Hello, Park residence. Who am I speaking to?”

 

“Uh Hello sir, I am Park Yoochun and…well is this Park Minyoung’s house?”

 

“Yes it is. How do you know her if I may ask?”

 

“I am her university friend.”

 

“Oh!”    he suddenly started speaking Korean.    “I’ll call her hold on.”

He heard muffling noises till the phone finally went to her.

 

“Yoochun? When did you come to England?”

She sounded quite surprised but could hear the happy tone.

 

“Well my family went away so I had no choice…I came here.”

 

“Where are you staying?”

 

“Marriot Kensington…for as long as your stay.”

 

“Oh dear…rest well.”   Then she heard a woman talking to her and she finally arrived on the line.

“Mother says to invite you to my house for the day.”

 

“That will be lovely. Say I will come.”

 

“You have the address right?”

 

“Yes I do. See you tomorrow then.”

 

See you Yoochun. Bye…”

They put the phone down and Yoochun fell on the bed…he was still tired. He ought to sleep more and he was looking forward to the meeting tomorrow.