Calm and Composed

Maestro

i'm sorry, sorry, sorry. sorry for the late update so here is a beautiful piece for you guys, specially for iMerawr because you're a pianist. Issac Shepheard: letting it go.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yoochun had arrived at the dwelling household which looked quite extravagant. The house looked different than the rest; having blue roof and aqua blue bricks on the walkway. The name plate stated The Park house. He held onto the metal gate and pressed the bell. Soon the door opened and he hoped to see Minyoung but instead a middle aged woman came out.

“Yoochun right?”   She asked in Korean and Yoochun nodded with a light smile. The woman walked forward and unlocked the metal gate and let him in.

“Thank you madam.”

“Ah, no problem.”   They proceeded walking while she complimented.   “You’re quite dashing looking.”     A tint of red appeared on his cheeks which was quite visible due to his fair skin.

“Thank you again.”   She opened the door and let him enter; then called out.   “Min! Your friend is here!”  

Yoochun saw a man on the couch reading the newspaper. He moved the paper from his face and Yoochun quickly bowed to him; receiving a curt one from the other.

“Take a seat Yoochun.”

“Thank you.”   He opened his shoes and took a seat opposite of the older one.

“I’m making lunch. Stay for the day.”   The woman announced wearing her apron.

“Oh thank you again.”   Yoochun just couldn’t stop thanking them.

“So you’re a classmate of Minyoung?”   Her father asked warmly and Yoochun nodded.

“It’s nice to see some friends other than the two-Hara and Gain right?”   Her father asked her mother instead however Yoochun answered.

“Yes sir. They are my friends too.”

“It’s kind of astonishing to hear that the three have any male friends. They never had before. You must be real charming.”     Yoochun was blushing heavily with the compliments. Parents would never make compliments so openly. It must have been an influence living here. Right then Minyoung climbed down and noticed him chatting away with her father. Well mostly her father spoke and she was surprised to see that her father wasn’t showing any kind of annoyance towards him. Rather Yoochun was being the one feeling shy.

“Ah here you are Min. We were just making a conversation. He’s such a nice lad.”     Her father remarked as Yoochun turned to her. His face showed an expression like he was a damsel in distress. She couldn’t help herself and ended up giggling.

“Father what did you say to him? He looks like a tomato.”     She stated surprising him even more. She would never speak openly like that back in Korea.

“Nothing! I only said he’s charming. Well you can take him to the balcony and chat there. He will have no interests conversing with old people.”     Her father commented which came off like a sting to Yoochun. Of course his tone was quite childish.

“Oh no! I can be interested!”   He defended himself.     “I’m not like any other guys who ignore old people…”     Yoochun realized what he just said. He saw her father’s expression change and frowned at Yoochun.

“I’m sorry!”   He panicked.   “I didn’t mean to say old…”

“I’m not that old…”

“S-sorry…”

Minyoung ended up laughing seeing the funny tension between the men along with her mother in the kitchen.

“Leave the boy alone. He’s just joking. Of course he is old.”     Her mother shoved off the topic and added.     “Take him to the balcony Min.”

“Ok. Come Yoochun.”     She asked him and he stood up; bowing to her father with an apology. As they were leaving Yoochun heard her father ask.

“Do I look old honey?”

“Of course not. You’re 60!”     The answer came off as sarcasm from his wife.

Walking to the balcony, Yoochun’s face went bewildered with the view before him. The balcony was a roof deck and all he saw were trees of maroon and green.

“This is beautiful!”

“I know. That is my room and on the other side is Stefan’s. This is a nice place to practice violin.”   She stated noticing the look on his face. He was too mesmerized.

“Minyoung…this is outstanding. No wonder you want to stay here.”                                                                                                 She smiled hearing the softness in his voice. He was no longer the loud mouth brat.

“So.”   She pulled him out of his thoughts.     “What brought you to England?”

“Oh.”   He looked at her.     “My mother and brother went off to their own holidays so I came here.”

“What about Junsu and Jaejoong?”

“They are having their own time.”     Looking around for a bit, he asked.     “Where is Stefan?”

“He’s at school. Apparently it’s still ongoing.”

“Oh…”   he looked down sorting out his words. Meeting her like this was very awkward and he had no idea why.     “I think I made your father mad.”

“Seriously?”     She chuckled.     “Well most old people will be mad being called old. He’s no different.”   She was instead surprised that her father was unusually nice to him. Of course no man came to his house besides him. She didn’t even have English friends to visit here; except few girls but they were for fair amount of time.

“Do you think he’ll kick me out?”

“I’ll make sure he doesn’t.”   She smirked seeing his puppy dog face and then it quieted down; none so sure what to say. Things were never this weird for them.

“Sit. I’ll bring coffee.”   She suggested but then he shook his head.

“You should quit coffee. As much as I love the smell of it; it’s better to see you fresh.”

“What? When does coffee rip you off your freshness?”

“It takes away your sleep daemul.”

“Not even Hara could make me quit coffee. Just wait and enjoy the view. I’ll bring tea then.”                                                   Yoochun knew it was no use arguing with her. He let her go and received a smile. He took a seat on the chair and closed his eyes hearing the birds chirping.

This is nice…coffee would be nice.

She walked through the room and climbed down slowly when she heard her parents talking. She was about to walk in but their words stopped her.

“This is the first time she actually brought a guy home.”   Her father stated sipping on the tea her mother has just handed.

“She didn’t. I did. She never would have invited him.”

“Why did you actually?”   His voice didn’t sound accusatory.     “Considering the fact that you were the one disapproving on it.”                                                                                                                                                                                      Her mother’s changed to a sad one.

“She was grateful to you though, but I thought you’d never approve having him over.”   He added further.

“I know she was grateful but she was also hurt. She practically blamed herself and had set the punishment on herself. I never disapproved it; she just got too tight with her making male acquaintances. She thought she’d make the mistake again. I didn’t want her to go through that. When her friend called, I was shocked and…I thought maybe I could set this right and break the ice she had formed around herself.”                                                                                                                                                                              Her father smiled and took her hand.

“That’s why she never made male friends, making sure she’s never hurt us again. But we were never hurt honey. All teenagers would believe what she had but she was more responsible for her age and hadn’t disobeyed us. She never was cross with us. She merely blamed herself for something that was never the issue…well…I hope they can be good friends.”

Minyoung quickly wiped the tears which had fallen without her notice. She sniffed in and walked out looking normal.

“Is there any hot water left mother?”

“Yeah. You need coffee?”

“Hmm…”   she walked to the kitchen and worked on the coffee. Having been done with tea and coffee, she went back to the roof deck and saw Yoochun. His eyes were shut and a faint smile was present. She put the tray causing Yoochun to open his eyes.

“Were you sleeping Yoochun?”

“No, just hearing the sounds of nature.”

“Have your tea.”   She took a seat and picked up her coffee and then they heard the door bell.     “Stefan’s back. You can meet him.”     She sipped on her coffee when they heard the footsteps. He walked in with his bag and greeted his sister. His Korean was quite heavy and his face had the English features. His skin was fairer than normal Koreans.

“You must be Stefan. Nice to meet you; I’m Yoochun.”   Yoochun held his hand out speaking English instead.

“Pleasure is all mine.”   He had the British accent which seemed cute to Yoochun.     “Please excuse me. I will freshen up.”   He walked to his room on the side of the roof deck.

“He’s cute unlike his sister.”     Yoochun went back to speaking Korean; teasing Minyoung.

“Very funny Mickey; I forgot to laugh.”

“You two seem to get along pretty well.”

“He’s a nice kid. He has this notion to greet me after coming home and do his homework alone and watch cartoons with me or go out for some ice cream. However these days his studies are getting heavier and he has no time. So I’m giving him a little space.”     Getting off her seat she added.     “I’ll ask if he has time to go out with me this time.”       She walked to his room and within few minutes came out with a sigh.

“He has no time. Kids these days…”

“Cheer up Daemul. That’s why I am here.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ga-in was helping the old woman with her sewing but wasn’t talking much. Junsu had already left with the old man without many words. Ga-in’s mind was lost and because of that the needle pierced on her finger making her gasp.

“Ga-in, you okay?”

“Yes; it’s nothing.”   She shoved it off and went back to the sewing.

“You’ve been quiet since morning. Something happened?”

“No granny. I’m still adjusting to hard labor.”   She smiled giving her excuse.

“Nonsense.”   The woman took Ga-in’s chin; facing each other.     “Your body can take twice amount of work than Junsu’s. Tell me.”

“What do you do when crops don’t come out well granny?”

“Huh?”   Granny was taken off with that question but decided to answer it.   “Well if crops don’t come out well, we mourn but we make sure to put all next time. Bad times come for us farmers but that doesn’t mean we give up. Of course we foresee such times and preserve. During bad times we use from the preserve. Therefore, there is both hope and a plan. Just like life, we need determination and a practical plan. We can’t just live with determination and hope alone; likewise we can’t live solely on plans. We need both…”                                                                                                                                                                                     Granny looked at Ga-in whose face was flushed and looked weak.

“Ga-in?”

Ga-in ended up sobbing; shocking granny. She took Ga-in in her arms.

“Honey what’s wrong? Are you unwell?”   Granny Ga-in’s back; asking.

“I am unwell…I’m not healthy…I’m sick both in mind and body granny…I’m…”   Ga-in left off; crying heavily in her arms.

“Ga-in did something happen with your friend? Did you two fight?”   Granny guessed the common scenario but Ga-in lightly shook her head.

“He’s really a nice guy…he takes care of me more than my father…but…”

“But?”

“It’s so…confusing granny…I don’t know what to do.”     She finally sniffed in and pulled away from the older one.     “I have no determination…I have no plan…I’m lost…”

“Then you need someone to set you on the right path. We tend to get lost once in a while and all we need is someone right. It could be anyone…it could be even a friend.”                                                                                               Ga-in looked at Granny with teary eyes and quickly wiped them away.

“I’m sorry…I should be composed but…”

“We are not bound to stay composed all the time…sometimes we need to let go.”     Ga-in smiled hearing that. Granny looked back at the needle work and added.

“We need to be composed to stay right, to make the perfect work but that doesn’t mean we take whatever life throws at us. Sometimes we need to fight back and say making straight path is my job; you just stay out. Well this your youth and decisions made during this time is most important that’s why we need to be composed but that doesn’t mean we’ll be strayed off the right path just because we release ourselves from being perfect.”     She looked at Ga-in. Ga-in nodded and thanked her. Her words really did help her.

“Look at the time; its lunch time. Will you be able to take the lunch to them?”

“Of course granny.”     She left the needlework and received the lunch box and left. Walking few minutes to the farm, she saw the men working under the harsh sun. She felt bad and wanted to help out. She noticed Junsu who was working however his face didn’t have the usual glow. After all, after last night, they didn’t talk to each other.

She marched ahead catching the attention. All greeted her and she greeted back. She went to the old gramps and held out the box.

“Granny sent lunch. Take a break and I’ll do the rest.”     She didn’t spare a glance at Junsu. Junsu instead was looking at her; hoping that she would look at him but not once she did. Junsu and old gramps sat to eat while Ga-in took the shovel up and dug in the soil.

Junsu looked at his food; no longer having the appetite.

“You okay son?”   Gramps asked him; seeing his dead like face. Junsu looked at him and assured him with a smile.

“I’m fine…”         Gramps glanced at Ga-in who was still working with others; then looked back at Junsu. He whispered to the younger man.       “Is everything alright between you two?”

“Yes gramps.”

“You sure? I haven’t seen you two, talk, since morning…”

“Everything is fine gramps.”     Old man didn’t push it but he was very sure that something happened. Poor Junsu looked famished anyway and above that his face had lost its sparkle.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hara was annoyed with Jaejoong and her father gossiping all the time at the picnic. Not once she could talk to her own father and soon her mother joined. Hara’s cheeks were puffed out and they didn’t even spare that to joke about. So when time came, Hara’s father wanted to walk a bit and asked Jaejoong to go with him and Jaejoong-being the good boy ,he was-agreed. They stood up and walked ahead leaving Hara with her mother.

“I can tell that your father really likes him.”

“Really? I didn’t notice.”     Her eyes rolled as her tone hinted the sarcasm.

“Why do you dislike him? He’s so sweet.”

“Oh yeah he’s sweet. But he’s a sneaky little devil inside that face of his.”

“I can tell that he likes you.”

“What? That’s ridiculous.”   Hara’s voice gave away though; as if she had been caught.   “Why would someone like him, like someone like me?”

“Someone like whom?”   Her mother asked.

“Someone who is so beautiful; who can have any girl at his feet; who deserves much more…”     somehow she meant every word. He was more beautiful than her; kinder than her; deserved someone who can take care of him instead.

“Oh I admit that he’s more beautiful than you but the others depend how you define them. Kindness can be listening when needed or forcing out their problems when they hide it. Caring can be doing all to make them comfortable or protecting them from harm. I am sure you have the strength to protect him from crazy girls and spill things out of him when he tries to hide them. You’re more of a man…”

Hara rolled her eyes smiling a bit. Her mother had no problem calling her a man.

“You’re crazy mama.”

Meanwhile, during their walk, Hara’s father excused himself and sat on the grass to rest. Jaejoong took a seat beside him and enjoyed the site.

“You’re alright kid…I like you.”   It was sudden coming from his mouth.

“Thank you Mr. Koo.”

“You like my daughter…”     Jaejoong’s face faded as he looked at Hara’s father. Mr. Koo didn’t look at Jaejoong.

“How did you-“

“I’m not blind kiddo. I can see that your presence annoys her and you try to do everything to respond to you. What kind of people would do that? What steps would you not take, just to make someone you love, to talk to you?”     Jaejoong smiled lightly looking ahead.

“Am I fit for her Mr. Koo? Am I doing enough?”

“So far so good…”

“Thank you…for not stopping me.”

“Thank you as well for annoying my daughter.”

But then…at that very moment Mr. Koo coughed harshly.

“You okay Mr. Koo?”   Jaejoong asked but Mr. Koo raised his hand assuring it was fine. However it got worse as it got harder for him to breathe.

“Mr. Koo! Hold on!”   Jaejoong had no time. He pulled him up; swinging Mr. Koo’s arm on his shoulder and taking his waist. He tried to walk but Mr. Koo fell down on his knees and his eyes shut.

“MR. KOO!”   He sought no choice. Jaejoong took his heavy body and roughly pulled him on his shoulders. He was heavier than he thought. He tried walking and loudly called out to Hara.

While Hara and her mother were enjoying their tea, they heard Jaejoong calling out to them. Sparing glances at each other, they rushed to them.

“Dad!”

“Honey! What’s wrong?! What happened?!”     Mrs. Koo panicked.

“No time! Hara get the van ready! We need to take him to the hospital now!”                 Hara nodded and dashed off while Mrs. Koo helped Jaejoong getting him to the van.

“Hara let me drive.”   Hara didn’t argue and let Jaejoong drive while she and her mother held onto Mr. Koo. Fortunately they were able to find a hospital on their way and got him in. The doctors quickly took him in, while Hara volunteered filling the form. She had to be calm for her mother.

Jaejoong went in with her mother explaining what had happened and was soon asked to leave the room with her mother. Mrs. Koo shook up and had almost collapsed but Jaejoong held onto her.

“Easy Mrs. Koo. You need to be well when he wakes up…”   he led her to a bench and sat beside her.

“My husband…he has a weak heart. He had to retire earlier than expected and…we’ve been treating for it. But he never had this kind of attack before…”

“The doctors will find out why he collapsed. Maybe it’s nothing serious. He’s stronger than that.”

“Thank you Jaejoong. Perhaps we couldn’t have handled it without you.”

“Maybe.”   He smiled teasingly.

“I’ll be fine. Please see Hara. I think she’s handling the documents.”

“Are you sure?”   Jaejoong asked and received a nod. He left her side and went to the reception; noticing Hara filling up all the papers. He didn’t go to her. He only observed her expression. It was calm and composed. He waited till she was done and turned; seeing Jaejoong.

“Oh…what are you doing here?”   She walked to him and asked casually. He didn’t answer; instead he stated.

“He’ll be fine Hara.”

“I know he’ll be fine.”   Her tone was harsher this time.     “I have nothing to worry about.”   She walked past him to her mother. It only made Jaejoong smile because she could show that she was fine but he could see the real fear on her face. He walked back only to see the doctor coming out.

“It’s a but no need to worry. He only needs to rest. I suggest at least 2 days bed rest and some fresh air. He’s resting now so if anyone wants to stay tonight; it’ll be fine.”

It was as if, all the worries were vanished. Her father was fine and the look on her face caught Jaejoong’s attention. She was relieved the most.

“I’ll stay…”   Hara volunteered.

“Honey, your father might want me instead. Let me stay. You won’t be able to handle it alone.”

“I’ll be fine Mom…you go home and rest.”

“I’ll drop you home if you don’t mind Mrs. Koo.”   Jaejoong offered and Mrs. Koo was left with no choice. She agreed to go with him while Hara stayed behind. As soon as they entered the van Mrs. Koo asked him a favour.

“Please stay beside Hara tonight.”

“Of course Mrs. Koo.”   He would have done that anyway.

“Thank you…”     he quickly started the van and rode off.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hara fell on the floor as soon as the corridor was empty. She was afraid to death because of this sudden event. She couldn’t bear that. Even when filling the papers; her hands shook and it was still shaking. She couldn’t look so weak to her mother but Jaejoong’s words were true. She was worried.

It was still day but she had sent her mother home anyway and in few hours she had lunch and waited for her father to wake up. However Jaejoong arrived with some clothes.

“Jaejoong? Why didn’t you go home?”

“How could I when your mother asked me to stay beside you?”

“Mom asked you?”   She rubbed her forehead.   “Jaejoong you don’t have to listen to her. Go home.”   She wasn’t bothered at most; she was instead feeling guilty for imposing on him.

“Hara I would have stayed anyway and I can’t break the promise.”

“I don’t have the energy to argue Jaejoong…”

“Then don’t.”   He handed her the bag of clothes.   “You’ll need them.”

“Thanks…”   she took her seat and Jaejoong sat beside her.

“You ate?”   He asked and she nodded.

“You need anything?”   She shook her head but he could see she looked tired and he needed to cheer her up.

“You know…Mr. Koo is really heavy. He should lay off some meat.”   Hara snickered lightly hearing that. It was usually her dialogue to her father about laying off the meat. Smiling lightly, he took her head and pulled it on his shoulder and she didn’t resist. She rested her head on his shoulder and shut her eyes.

“My parents really like you Jaejoong…you really are an for making them like you so much.”

“Well your father likes me because I can annoy you. While about your mother…I think it’s because I’m handsome.”

“You’re not handsome. You’re beautiful.”

“Don’t call me that…I hate it.”   He pouted lightly.

“Yeah?”   She mumbled softly.   “You’re beautiful, pretty, drop dead gorgeous and not to mention a princess.”

“Say it one more time.”   He murmured smirking.

“Princess…”

“I will kiss you if you say it again…”   he really hoped she would call him princess again but she didn’t. They remained quiet like this and none of them bothered with the complications they had.   

Day passed quietly and night came but her father still wasn’t waking up. The tension rose each second. She sat beside her father and saw him breathe on his oxygen mask. She took his hand gently and prayed inside for him to wake up as Jaejoong stood near the door. He really wanted to embrace her and assure her that he was going to be fine but she needed some time alone.

She looked sleepy already; so Jaejoong walked to her and patted on her head.

“Take the couch. I’ll watch the night.”

“That’s no problem Jaejoong. I can take it. Did you call your family?”   She asked looking up at him.

“I did; they are fine with it. Now take the couch Hara. You look like you’ll collapse.”

“Jaejoong-“

“Hara.”   He cut her.   “Trust me. I don’t want your father to wake up and see his daughter with panda eyes.”     She smiled hearing that and took the couch while Jaejoong sat beside the patient. As soon as Hara had taken the couch, her eyes shut. Jaejoong was tired too but he had to be awake. But then a whimper held his eyes from closing. He looked and saw Mr. Koo’s eyes open and he looked at his sleeping daughter.

“Mr. Koo…I’ll call the doctors and Hara.”

“No…”   his voice was rusty but soft.   “Let her sleep; call the doctors later. I’m fine…”

“You scared everyone. Do you need anything?”

“No…I just want to sleep.”

“Then rest Mr. Koo…”   Mr. Koo closed his eyes however he asked.

“Why does my daughter hate you?”   Jaejoong didn’t know how to answer that. Maybe he should just confess hurting his daughter.

“I hurt her feelings Mr. Koo. When she confessed…I refused.”

“You jerk…”   he muttered.   “No wonder…you broke her heart. But you love her too. Why refuse her confession?”

“Because of my friend who is like a brother to me. I did it for him…although things resolved between them but the hate remained in her heart for me Mr. Koo.”

“You did it for your friend? I guess can’t blame you then.”

“But then Mr. Koo…why is it that you are not stopping me?”   Jaejoong was curious because most fathers would try and show that a father is a main man in a daughter’s life. Mr. Koo didn’t try that somehow.

“Because you’re the first man in her life after me.”       Jaejoong’s eyes widened because it can’t be true that not once Hara has not liked boys or had not dated. A girl like her should have men lined up for her and she was independent enough to date.

“She was always with Minyoung and later Ga-in but not once she was with a boy or had dated one. She befriended boys but…it was frustrating for me. I wanted her to have a boy so I could show that no one could mess with my girl but she never brought one for me to show. I thought perhaps it was because of me. Perhaps I isolated her from them…”

“You didn’t do that Mr. Koo. She upheld what you taught her. And I hate myself for hurting her.”

“No man is worthy who doesn’t care for a friend. If you care for a friend more, it means you’ll care for her when she becomes a friend too and not listen to outsiders. She was an outsider compared to your friend. She would have done the same for her friend. I wonder why she doesn’t get that.”

“Because I tried to shove down my opinion on her. I tried very much to make her accept my friend.”

“Ah…”   Mr. Koo’s eyes narrowed.   “No wonder she hates you. I would have chopped your head off but…loving her is enough torture I suppose. She really is a nagger and once she forgives you, she will torture you even more to make you repent.”

“Sounds like you know from experience Mr. Koo.”

“Yes…”     the older one smiled through his mask.   “But don’t tell her mother.”

“Sleep Mr. Koo. You need it.”                       Hara’s father complied and closed his eyes. Jaejoong soon fell asleep as well however not once they noticed that Hara was awake and had overheard all.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------