Confession of cold heart

Maestro

Pissed; she was pissed, she was really pissed. She couldn’t stand the cramp on her abdomen. Why girls had to suffer this 12 times a year lasting up to a week? She decided first not to go to class but then she saw Ga-in going whenever her time came. How come she resisted the pain?

 

“It’s easy. Just get a medicine.”

 

“I hate medicines.”

 

“I know you do; so stick home. You can get notes from your classmates.”

 

“No.”    Hara got her off the couch.    “I’ll go. I can take the pain like a woman.”

 

“Like a man you mean.”

 

“No. they .”

 

“Just add something to make it funny.”

 

“Shut up. Not in the mood for jokes. Wait, I’ll get ready.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“She is on her periods isn’t she?”    Minyoung mumbled to Ga-in who merely nodded.

Hara was shaking her legs impatiently unable to tolerate the cramps. She hated being a girl sometimes.

 

“Hara I suggest you take a medicine.”     Daemul, being the caring one, suggested.

 

“No way! I wont take the disgusting little things so called tablets.”

 

“Or else you will scream out. You cant tolerate the pain like others.”      Ga-in pointed out having experience with it.

Hara punched her abdomen to ease it but it didn’t help yet she kept on punching.

 

“Hara stop it. you’re gonna give me a gut puke.”

 

“Hey ladies!”    Yoochun’s voice interfered and Ga-in and Daemul returned. He walked closer to see Hara was gut-punching herself.

 

“Why is she hitting herself?”

 

“Don’t ask.”   Daemul gave a straight answer. He only has a mother so he might not get it.     “Where are the others?”

 

“Coming along.”   Looking over he saw them.    “And there they are.”

Hara immediately threw a glare at those boys; exactly at Jaejoong but Junsu winced.

 

“Why are you glaring at me Hara?”    Poor dolphin thought otherwise. Jaejoong pretty much understood.

 

“Sorry.”    She muttered uncaringly.

 

“Is…something the matter…Hara?”    Jaejoong asked rather carefully seeing such a scary face. And he thought Ga-in was scary.

 

“Stomach ache.”    Ga-in instead answered.    “She ate something bad last night.”

Jaejoong noticed where her punches were put; right on the abdomen. No bad stomach could cause ache on the abdomen area. So he knew but too embarrassed to say it out loud.

 

“Why don’t you take a medicine?”

 

“I’m outta here.”    Hara being annoyed, passed off her friends.

 

“Really bad stomach I guess.”

Mickey assumed taking Hara’s empty seat.

 

“So I was thinking we could still make time and go somewhere.”

 

“I have no problem.”    Daemul stated looking at Ga-in.    “Would you mind?”

 

“I wouldn’t. the only one I’m concerned about is Hara.”    She lightly took a glance at Junsu who didn’t notice it. Ga-in huffed out.

 

“I’m out. Piece.”    She walked off leaving the rest. Jaejoong looked at Junsu who was looking on the table. He knew something was wrong.

 

“Well…”   to ease the tension Jaejoong added.     “We’re off to class. Lets see we can persuade them. Come Junsu.”

He took the other’s elbow and pulled him.

 

“Do you think something’s wrong with them?”    Mickey asked.

 

“Seems so. There is always something wrong to them. So could you find her?”

 

“Who?”

 

“Who else? Han Jimin or you want me to introduce you to her?”

 

“Oh no!”   Mickey exclaimed. That would be too awkward because…hmm somehow he didn’t know why it would be awkward.     “She’ll think I’m trying to stalking her through you.”

She lightly smiled noticing his mature self these days.

She nodded not pushing it further.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Junsu can you do something?”   Jaejoong asked on the way.

 

“What is it?”

 

“Take this.”    He took out a water bottle and handed it to him.    “And give this to Hara.”

Scrunching his face he muttered.

 

“Give it yourself.”

 

“Look man, I would if she would take it but she wont. I know the pain so just…give it to her and don’t tell her.”

 

“Alright.”    He hastily took it.    “What am I supposed to say?”

 

“Say to put it on her belly; on the abdomen area. It will reduce the pain and I will try and get a medicine.”

He nodded and walked off to Hara’s class before it would start but he knew he would have to see her face again.

 

I made my final wish and I messed up but…I think it’s for the better.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

As usual business meetings, chit-chat and some wine and tea. Mr. Son was taking Hyori in the midst of the crowds and everyone knew their story. Some preferred to push it and others keep it aside. Aside from the Kang, the KJs preferred not to interfere.

 

As they were doing their usual business talk with the Kangs, Mrs. Kang called out to Kim Junho from KJ. He smiled and waved back coming to them.

 

“Have I personally introduced you to this man?”

 

“Of course not.”   Mr. Son smiled.    “I have only seen your parents.”

 

“This is the older one of the house, Kim Junho.”

 

“Pleased to meet you sir.”    Junho bowed.

 

“Oh please don’t bow now. It’s so old fashioned and I’m still young.”   Hyori laughed out and added.     “I bet a man like you is not available for the lovely ladies here.”

Junho slightly blushed but it wasn’t unusual.

 

“Well that’s true, I am not. I have a wife who is a pediatrician and always is busy with kids.”

 

“Oh how lovely! She’ll make an excellent mother to your child!”    Hyori just couldn’t keep shut; not that it bothered anyone.

 

“Are you the only child boy?”   Mr. Son asked taking a glass of wine.

 

“Oh no, I have a younger brother who is studying at Maestro.”

 

“Oh! I have my daughter studying there.”

 

“I have seen the younger one and my, he’s such a dashing man and he dances well too. Also he danced with your daughter Ga-in at the party when Junho couldn’t come.”    Mrs. Kang recalled that night,

 

“Really?”    both were kind of surprised. She never danced with anyone at parties; she hated it and specially after the child of Kang passed away.     “I have to meet this young man.”    Mr. Son emphasized rather impressively. He must be someone to make Ga-in dance with him.

 

“Oh I have a picture taken of them though they didn’t notice.”    Mr. Kang took out his cell and searched for the picture. After he did he showed it to them.

 

It stunned them both.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Junsu rushed into the class and noticed the girls were about to take their seats. Noticing Ga-in he slowed down and approached them. Ga-in, as he wished, didn’t even look at him. Hara in a sour mood greeted him.

 

“Here.”    Junsu handed her the bottle.    “Put this on your abdomen to ease it. though I still think you should have anti-acid drink or soda.”

Hara rose an eyebrow unsure what he meant. She took the bottle anyway and thanked him; looking at Ga-in who didn’t look at Junsu.

 

“Well I’ll see you guys later.”    He walked out and then rushed to his class.

 

“Why didn’t you say anything Ga-in?”

 

“Simple. He doesn’t want me to. And he didn’t give you that bottle.”

Hara’s eyes widened slightly but then she calmed down. She put the bottle over her abdomen not speaking further.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Classes went on and for some it went very quickly and for some it went very slow. Junsu and Jaejoong finished their classes and Junsu excused himself to the bathroom. After coming out, his cell rang. It was an unknown number but he received it anyway.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Is this Kim Junsu?”

 

“Yes?”

 

I am calling on behalf of Son authority; I am his bodyguard. If your classes have ended, I would like you to meet outside the campus.”

 

“Mind if I ask why?”

 

“Kim Junsu? This is Ga-in’s father.”

 

 

“Mr. Son?”

 

“Please meet me…I would like to apologize.”

 

“That’s not necessary Mr. Son I-“

 

I am already here and I will not be going back without seeing you. I have other matters to talk about.”

 

He thought for a moment. He wondered what got his mind to turn upside down. Perhaps he would still confront him for no reason. Nevertheless he should meet him.

Jaejoong had already gone to the cafeteria and then will soon be joined by others. He took this chance and went out. He passed the cafeteria and saw Yoochun, Jaejoong with daemul. The other two haven’t arrived. He hid himself in the midst of crowds and passed by without their notice.

However on the other way, Hara and Ga-in came by. Ga-in noticed Junsu was going leaving the crowd.

 

“Hold on Hara, I’ll be right back ok? You go to the others.”

Hara nodded and went ahead without her and she followed him outside the campus to a car. She knew that car.

 

Isn’t that dad’s car? What the hell-

 

She hid herself and saw Junsu getting inside and the car rode off. She chased after it and was able to get a taxi to follow it. she quickly texted Hara that she got called by her father.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Why are we going to your place Mr. Son?”

 

“Because I ought to give you a proper apology.”

 

“That is not needed Mr. Son I assure you. I have already done what you told me; I stayed away from her and…”

 

“I was mistaken…with everything. I learned that the KJs really are wealthy and not by proprietorship but by their hearts and kindness.”

 

“You know…how did you-“

 

“I was fortunate enough to meet your older brother at a party.”

 

“Does Ga-in know I am coming with you?”

 

“No. she told me never to contact her again. I have hurt her feelings enough.”

 

“This is not good. Hiding things from her…I don’t like that. when she gets mad…”

 

“I know. I’ve seen her.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Ok, I think I should go home. We have our schedules for the competition and the exam. I should practice.”

Daemul stated putting the violin on her shoulders.

 

“Yeah Junsu just disappeared. We should go too and try Junsu later.”    Jaejoong mumbled.

 

“Wait, I haven’t gotten the paper. I’ll get one and Jaejoong can go home without me.”

Jaejoong nodded and Hara remained quiet noticing the look given to her. They both left first and Yoochun turned to Minyoung.

 

“So what happened between them? Why is Hara so grumpy?”

 

“It’s a long story but the gist is…she loved him, he loved her, you kind of liked her and he pushed her away and she got mad therefore she thinks she was humiliated and you gave up and he went back to her but she’s mad and…”

 

“Wow…”    he blinked with the gist.    “Gist anyways.”

Daemul chuckled and waved her hand to say bye.

He went the other way.

 

On the way to pick up his schedule, he noticed a female figure, long brunette hair and sharp face.

 

“Han Jimin?”

 

“Uh…hi.”    She responded taking her bag.    “ Do I know you?”

 

“Uh…”   unsure what to say; he did stupidly mumble out her name.    “I heard about you from a friend of mine from the violin department. She said you play magnificent. I would like to hear it one day.”

 

“Oh really? Well I’m just an intermediate player. Which department are you from?”   she asked with a smile.

 

“Piano.”   He shrugged off with a smile.

 

“I don’t have any friends from piano department so I really don’t have anyone to practice with. Would you have time to play someday?”

 

“Oh.”   That was forward.    “Sure if you have time now.”

 

“Of course. I was just going for practice.”

They reached an almost empty room with a piano. Yoochun took his seat and Jimin took out her violin.

 

“Please ladies first.”

Jimin pulled the string to test and…started.

Yoochun heard what she was playing.

Pachebelle…a happy go lucky tune. Mystery woman never played that and nor she would. Her music had a darker tone and was higher pitched but Jimin’s was lower.

He kept listening and it was nice to his ears but…unlike the one…it wasn’t music to his ears.

Finishing it, she looked at him.

 

“Your turn.”

He flexed his fingers and played on. It was named rusty hearts and he named it hearing it on the hill. It was not entirely happy filled tone a lost and found like.

Finishing it, he looked at Jimin with a light smile wondering whether she was really the woman he was looking for.

 

“Wow…I recall someone playing that in my department. It was one of my seniors.”

Yoochun’s face went pale hearing her. So it wasn’t her…it was never her.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Hara quickly moved away from Jaejoong to the nearest pharmacy. She was over thinking whether to buy any medicine. She hated them.

 

“Hara?”

She shut her eyes whishing it wasn’t him.

 

“This medicine might do you some goo. My sister has them sometimes to reduce the pain.”

She turned to him with puffy red eyes. She was dying from the pain and she really wanted to snatch it from his hand. But a woman’s wrath is more than this.

 

“Come on Hara. Take it.”

 

“Shove it in your throat.”

She took out the bottle and threw at him. although her caught it easily he was still shocked.

 

“And don’t bother Junsu with these sort of things again. Arrogant bastard.”   She walked away but he wasn’t going to give up. He put the bottle in his bag and ran after her. He took her elbow but she yanked herself.

 

“Don’t make me kill you.”

 

“Just take the medicine and I will leave you alone.”

 

“No.”

 

“Hara don’t be stubborn. I know what this pain can do. Trust me even if you do kill me, this pain will give you defense to your charge.”

 

“Is that supposed to be funny?”    she was pissed now,

 

“No, I’m not trying to make a joke here. I know ok. Just take it.”    he shoved the medicine in her hand.     “Just take it.”

She didn’t say a word.

He gave her a sweet smile and ran back to his way.

She looked down at the medicine. She tore one out and put it in , swallowing it without water.

 

This better shoo the pain away or I will kill him.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Junsu was welcomed warmly unlike the last time in the Son mansion and Ga-in followed without anyone’s notice. She walked in way later they did and she ordered some those who saw her to remain quiet about her.

She heard what they were talking about.

 

Hyori served her special cherry tea and Junsu hesitantly took a cup as Mr. Son encouraged him. he sipped in and it was quite good to him.

 

“Mr. Kim-“

 

“Please Junsu.”    Junsu insisted rather.

 

“Junsu; I am very sorry about the last time. When I did, what I did; Ga-in did say I was making a big mistake and…she never really bothered to tell about you herself. On that misconception Junsu, I apologize.”

 

“Well.”    Junsu put down his cup of tea and stood up.    “All is done now; I assure you this will not affect anything on your business in the future.”

 

“On the contrary Junsu.”    Mr. Son stood up.    “This is about my daughter.”

 

“What about Ga-in?”

 

“You see she has closed herself since her mother’s death and after a certain friend’s death she totally blocked herself from others. However as I hear, you were able to retain a place in her life and she has grown to care for you and you for her.”

 

“Yes…”   he paused.   “I do care for her.”

 

“So basing on that.”   he added.    “Will you take my daughter’s hand?”

 

“E-excuse me?”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Cant you recall who played this music?”

 

“No, I’m sorry. I wish I could.”

Yoochun was really getting anxious now but he didn’t want her to know it.

 

“Well.”   He took out a paper and wrote his number.    “When you remember the name, could you please text me on this number? It may not be so important to you but I really need to know this woman.”

 

“Woman? You already know it’s a woman?”

He nodded. She took the paper and smiled at him.

 

“Of course I will.”

 

“Thank you.”

He bowed and rushed out while she wondered.

 

“This woman had quite an influence on him.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“I am asking you.”

 

“Why-why would you ask such a thing?”   Junsu stammered while Ga-in kept shut. As usual selling her off.

 

“Because you care for her.”

 

“So I do but…how can you just-“    he was unable to finish.

 

“Does caring not implicate love?”    Hyori asked this time.

 

“Not always. I care for her but…not more than a friend.”

 

“Love comes automatically if you care. It can all happen after you two are wedded.”

 

“No! this is wrong! Does Ga-in know of this?!”

 

“If she feels the same for you then she wouldn’t even mind.”

 

“Her consent is of utmost importance to me! And it should be to you as well! I cant believe you’re her father!”

 

“Do you love her or not that’s all that matters.”   Mr. son calmly stated.

 

“It always doesn’t matter! What she wants, matters! This is inexcusable! I—I…”

 

“Do you love her Mr. Junsu?”   Hyori asked quietly.

 

“Please don’t ask me that question!”    he ranted his frustrations while Ga-in watched in awe. Her father’s questions really hurt him and her.

 

“All you have to do is answer.”

 

“This-if she knows, you two will be hated forever!”

 

“That we already are. Just answer. Do you love her?”

 

“I will not answer!”

 

“It will make it easier for us.”

 

“No it wont!”    he didn’t know why he was getting to perked up about this.    “No wonder she hates all men! No wonder she always keeps herself blocked all the time! No wonder…”

 

“Do you love Ga-in?”

 

“YES I DO!”

Mr. Son and Hyori smiled and he didn’t like it.

Junsu himself was astonished hearing what he had just said.

 

“You what?”

They looked over when they heard her voice. She was stunned there as her bag fell on the floor.

 

“Ga-in Junsu just said he loves you.”     Her father calmly and gently said.

 

“I know what he said.”    She took her eyes off Junsu and glared at her father.    “You are so pathetic! You are just itching to kick me out! Hand me over! Sell me to some rich kid! JUST LIKE A E!”

 

“Ga-in I didn’t mean it that way!”

 

“WHAT MORE COULD BE EXPECTED FROM A MAN LIKE YOU?! A FILTHY OLD MAN WHO NEITHER CARED FOR HIS WIFE NOR HIS DAUGHTER! I HATE YOU WITH ALL MY LIFE! I AM ASHAMED TO CALL YOU MY FATHER!”

 

She stomped out of the house after the outburst and Junsu ran after her. He took her hand and unlike usual, she didn’t yank it away this time.

 

“How could you say that Junsu?”

 

“I-I just slipped out in frustration. Nothing more.”

 

“Your recklessness has caused me great burden.”

 

“Ga-in that was just in the heat of the moment.”

 

“So…it wasn’t true. I just want to hear it from you for mental satisfaction. Say all you said were lies.”

He sighed. Of course it was easy for him to say that. to say that he actually didn’t love her. He didn’t care for her. He didn’t have concern for her. Then why would he go all the way to do clear his name on Julie’s death? Why even bother consoling her? Why did he want to know about her reasons for bullying? Why did he befriend her after what Sungmin had said?

Why did all those things?

 

“What if all I said…were true?”

She turned wide eyed at him.

She wasn’t expecting that.

She didn’t want to hear that.

Why would he ask that?

Why he couldn’t just say that it wasn’t?

 

“What if all I said was true? What if it’s true that…”    he gulped before saying further.

 

“That I love you…”