Coming out the closet

Maestro

During sunset, all were returning home, however some kids were still playing and asked Junsu to play with them. Despite being tired he went away with them anyway and Ga-in decided to head home to help Granny prepare dinner. Meanwhile Junsu and the kids were playing by the pond which looked quite green and sallow. One of the kids were about to play near the corner when another kid pulled him.

“Be careful. The pond is deep and if you slip, you won’t be able to swim out.”

“Listen to him and stay away from the pond.”    Junsu repeated the kid’s words and the other one listened. There seemed to be tree roots coming out of that pond. They were playing nevertheless and when the sun had almost gone, Junsu decided to head home.

“Kids, I’m going. Go home soon.”    He waved at them and walked away leaving the children playing. As they kept juggling with the ball, one of them kicked it too hard causing it to fall in the pond.

“Oh man! Now what?”    One whined looking at the guilty party.

“I’m sorry; I’ll get it.”     He rushed near the pond when the responsible one yelled.

“Didn’t I just tell you not to go? We don’t need the ball. Let’s go home.”    But no one was listening to him. They already were trying to get the ball over the roots. The edges were shallow and slippery and they were poking the floating ball with a stick however it only made the ball float further.

“This is hopeless.”     They gave up and got away from the lake and the guilty kid slumped at corner; puffing his cheeks out.

“Let’s go.”    The kid stood up but his leg slipped on the shallow and fell in the pond. The reactions were immediate and the kid was trying to swim up crying for help.

“Stay here! I’ll call an adult!”    The other one ran to get help while the kids tried to help the drowning one. The other one kept on running but was finding no one to help but then, he saw Junsu’s walking figure.

“Mr. Junsu!”     He called out and ran to him. Junsu turned to him attentively.

“What is it?”

“Our friend fell in the pond! You got to help us!”       Junsu had no time for reaction; he took the boy’s shoulder.

“Call his parents and other adults. Quickly!”    The boy nodded and ran off while Junsu ran off to the pond and saw the kids standing there. There was no sign of the drowning kid and the rest were crying.

“He isn’t trying anymore…I think he’s dead…”    the kids cried. Junsu opened his shirt and jumped in but the sight under water was blurry and green. He could see a huge tree log and soon he found the kid. He swam to him and held his unconscious body. He pressed his lips on the kid’s mouth to pass air and tried to pull him out but his leg was stuck underneath the log. Junsu tried pushing the log but with no avail. He gave the kid, mouth-to-mouth again and kicked the log. It finally moved away and the kid’s eyes opened underwater. Junsu let the boy swim up and tried himself too but…his leg was stuck instead. The log had moved on his leg.

The boy quickly too huge breaths and the adults quickly took him up. Ga-in was here and wrapped her jacket around him; she came here because of Junsu.

“Where is Junsu?!”    She asked him but the kid couldn’t answer. Not wasting any time, she jumped in and found him struggling with a tree log. He needed to breathe. She swam to him and pressed her lips to pass air. Pulling away she kicked the log while Junsu pushed. With much struggle they managed to move it, but Junsu was out of breath. His body had fallen lump and his eyes shut. Ga-in held his body and pressed on his mouth again for air and quickly swam above. All the people pulled them and Ga-in, panicking much, pressed on his chest to get the water out.

“Come one Junsu…get up…get up.”    She huffed hoping he would wake up. She forced his mouth open and gave him CPR; then continued pushing on his chest. When results were not showing; she punched on his chest; screaming out his name.

“Wake up damn it! Junsu just wake up!”    She hit his chest with too much force while the rest watched her pained face. She ended up sobbing but punched even harder when the water spilled out of his mouth. He coughed out, relieving all. Ga-in pushed his hair off his face when he was able to look at her.

“Ga-in…”   His face was quite green.     “Is the kid okay?”    She nodded; pulling his head on her chest, embracing him fully. She almost lost him. She didn’t like the feeling of losing him. She didn’t care if the people watched. Junsu smiled in hiding; he took her hair and then her shoulder to return the hug.

“If this is the price for being in danger, then I could put myself in danger every day.”    Junsu just had to ease the tension but all he got was a smack from her making all, laugh.

“Don’t push your luck duck .”    She mumbled on his head but not once she pulled him away.

They were soon taken home and were told to go to bed early because they would be leaving tomorrow. Junsu hoped not to have a fever because it was annoying. He wondered if the child had a fever by now. The lights were quickly turned off and all had gone to sleep but he heard footsteps outside his room. He sat up on his bed with the blanket around him and saw her coming in.

“You’re sleeping, Junsu?”    She had a mug in her hand.

“Why aren’t you sleeping piper?”

“I just couldn’t…I thought to bring you tea.”    She handed the mug to him. Junsu took the mug and sipped on the tea only to taste the bitterness.

“What is this?”   he scrunched his face.

“Green tea…raw ones.”

“It tastes horrible.”   He put the mug aside.

“Of course it does. All good things taste horrible. Now drink it up; even the kid had to drink it. This will prevent any common cold.”    Junsu pouted lightly but then picked up the mug and drank it down in one go. His body shivered up due to the horrible taste and gagged. Ga-in chuckled seeing his poor state and took the mug.

“You’re enjoying this evil piper.”

“Of course…”    but then the smile faded off her face as she looked at him. Up until now all she tried to do, was get rid of him, for his welfare, and now she wants him more than before. She loved him a lot: as a friend, as a person and as a man. She couldn’t deny it.

She walked to his bed and took his head; kissing his forehead, surprising him. It was too intimate as if she was kissing his lips. Junsu wrapped his hands around her body, pulling her closer and Ga-in rested her chin on his head.

“I can hear your heartbeat Ga-in. It’s so lively…fluttering like a bird.”   He closed his eyes and a faint smile appeared on his lips.

“Junsu I am confused. I am afraid what future might bring for us…what if we get divorced and this moment will mean nothing in the future? What then?”

“Then you can drown me yourself. We can make another contract on that.”     With light laughs, he added.      “I really want to confess piper…I want to tell you how much I…but I’m afraid I won’t be able to keep control after it. Maybe I can confess tomorrow.”

She nodded on his head and pulled away. She didn’t feel uncomfortable with his lack of control. She knew he would never hurt her.

“I should let you rest then. Good night dolphin…”

“Night piper…”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On his second day in London…he had no idea what to do. He couldn’t just visit Minyoung every time and roaming around was boring especially in a dark, gloomy, wet city like this. He was watching a plain old boring British drama when the phone rang.

“Sir there is a lady waiting for you in the reception.”

“Lady?”

“Yes sir, she is Park Minyoung sir. Should I wait her in the lobby or…”

“I’ll be down there.”   He hung up and quickly dressed up. He climbed down and rushed to the lobby and saw her waiting.

“Daemul…”   he called out to her and she turned…giving a smile.    “What a surprise? I didn’t expect you to come here.”

“Well you are here for 2 weeks and I thought might as well spend the vacation with you. Basically I had these tickets for a dance lesson. Mother got them for us.”     Yoochun was actually surprised. As must as good friends they were, she would never get dance tickets or even visit him for that matter. She was not here on her own accord. It was true…she was indeed here on her mother’s influence. Her mother had gone far enough to say that Yoochun was wasting time here.

“Yoochun has been kind enough to visit you than screwing with some English girl; you’re clearly wasting his sense of vacation.”

 She didn’t want Yoochun’s time to be wasted on her…she couldn’t take that imposition. So she was here with the tickets.

“So let’s go. We’ll go dancing today and then I bet there is a good place to eat. Then we’ll shop heavily for you or for me.”      He liked that. He held his hand to her and she actually took it. They took the bus and somehow they were talking more than usual. They were talking about London, libraries, music and themselves. Not once they felt awkward and not once any silence fell between them. After arriving at the place, they showed the tickets and entered.

The teacher, wearing a tight suit, came in gracefully and stood in a swan position. Yoochun could almost laugh his out when Minyoung nudged him. But she could see the funny thing. She was to laugh out loud. They started the music and the teacher showed a demo to them in the light music. They were supposed to take the women’s wait and just twirl. That seemed easy but corny.

After the demo, Minyoung took his shoulder and hand; while he took her waist and her hand. It was uncomfortable for both.

“Alright now just converse and dance.”    The instructor suggested. They observed how the rest were dancing so smoothly and were talking and laughing.

“Well…”    Yoochun mumbled.    “Let’s get dancing.”   And they started twirling.

“I think we could go to the Ferris wheel after food.”   She stated; trying to converse.

“Hmm I was thinking bar, pub and women.”    He made a flirty face when she frowned at him.    “Alright just a day with mommy.”   She ended up giggling.

“Mommy will feed you broccoli and chickpeas.”

“But I don’t want to. I hate veggies. That’s why the bullies give me wedgies.”   He pouted at her making her laugh.

Damn I missed that sound.

They kept dancing and kept talking; not realizing how long it had been. It wasn’t until the instructor stopped the music. They pulled apart and noticed the surrounding. They thanked everyone as all did and left with the rest. However their hands were still tied. Not one of them realized that until she needed that hand. She didn’t try and make it awkward for him and quickly diverted his attention to a hot dog stand. However Yoochun only smiled understanding her attempts. He didn’t mind though…

She ordered two hotdogs and he kept observing her actions every second. She would try and make him look somewhere else.

“Tell me…”   he thought it best to give her what she needed.    “Do you have any English female friends?”

“Uh…”   she tried recalling if she had some contacts.    “Maybe, I got to check. I don’t have friends here. Maybe…hold on. I do have an invitation to a party tomorrow night. I could tell my ex-classmate to take you.”

“Why won’t you come?”    She didn’t answer and ate her hotdog.

“I’m not going without you.”

“I’m not going Yoochun. I never go.”

“Well this time you will.”

“Mother won’t let me.”   She stated firmly.    “I’ll call her up and give you the ticket.”

“I won’t go Daemul.”    He only brought up the topic to converse but this had taken a different turn.

“Fine…you can spend the boring day with me.”    But then again he might be able to find out what her deal is. He may find out why she is so closeted. This party maybe his only choice. However he didn’t push it further. He can use other methods to take her but now all he had to do was spend time with her.

“Let’s go shopping.”    Yoochun suddenly stated making her look at him.

“Ok…what do you want to buy?”

“A suit, shoes, watch; Rollex I tell you and glasses and…”

“Ok! I get it…”    she sighed.     “You wanna dress up like a woman geez.”                                                                                               Yoochun didn’t argue to that. He quietly ate his hotdog. Afterwards she took him to the largest mall in the area and let him shop. She thought it wouldn’t take him much time but the time he was taking was unbelievable.

“Is this ok?”   he came out wearing a dark blue shirt and black jeans which was his 5th tryout.

“Yes!”   she was anxious to leave.   “You look dashing.”

“I don’t know…”    Yoochun looked at the blond lady and asked instead.     “Does this suit me?”                                               The lady could die with his cuteness. Her eyes sparkled as she observed the boy.

“This does suit you but I got something better.”    She walked to the rack while Minyoung growled inwardly. Yoochun flashed a glee at her in excitement. The lady took out 5 more sets of shirts and pants and handed it to him and pushed him inside the room. Each time he came out wearing different clothes, Minyoung would pray that he made up his mind.

“Does this look fine?”    red shirt; black jeans. The shop lady shook her head and he went inside.

“How about this one?”    green and black. The lady shook her head again.

“This one?”   black and black. The lady yet shook her head.

“How about now?”  white and black. She shook her head again; Yoochun slumped his shoulders and went inside and came out wearing grey this time.

“Now?”   Minyoung could tell even he was tired. He looked good in grey.

“Yes! Magnificent! This is for you Mr.!”

“Ah! Thank you! Daemul we can finally shop for suits!”    Minyoung smacked herself for even thinking that it would end.  They later on, entered the readymade suit shop repeating the entire cycle. As usual the owner was dazzled by him. A dashing Asian man, carrying out all the clothes and all looked good but one has to look best. The owner finally managed to get him a suit with beads and laces.

“Are you kidding me? This is a club suit Mickey.”

“I know…I have to get a watch.”

“Just my luck.”      They exited the suit shop, faring well to the owner who looked quite happy. They entered the watch shop greeted by handsome looking men and as noticed, all the men smiled warmly at Minyoung. Yoochun kept ogling at the great looking watches while Minyoung looked at the other side. She hated watches in gold or silver. She liked leather and white on that matter. Yoochun noticed and asked one of the staff quietly for a white leather watch. The man brought out a white leathered watch and he immediately bought it. He walked to Minyoung, tapping on her shoulder.

“Done so soon?”

“Yeah. Come one, one more shop.”        This time they didn’t enter in a shop where they could find men’s clothes.     

“Yoochun, this is a woman’s clothing shop. Why are we here?”

“My mother asked me to buy her a dress. Keep looking while I call her. I forgot what colour she wanted.”    She nodded as he exited the shop. She looked at the various colours of dresses and gowns. Her eyes scanned through as it fell on a red sleeveless one. It looked extremely fitting for a small waist and slim shoulder blades. It would suit Hara better, she thought. Then she noticed a black looking dress which was full sleeved but short to knees and corporate like. Its neck was V shaped and would reveal the fine lines of a woman’s chest.

Ga-in...

And then her eyes fell on a white dress. Well it was actually an A line white long shirt. She had attraction for long shirts but...she didn’t want to waste money on it. Yoochun soon came back noticing that she was looking at the boring looking dress. However it was just like her to like such a covered dress.

“Daemul, look for a cafe, I’ll buy something from here.”

“Okay.”   She quickly nodded and went out and kept looking for a place to eat. However it took Yoochun quite some time to come out and find her. She noticed the extra bag.

“Did you buy a dress for your mother?”

“Yeah. What should we order?”

“I want Chow-min.”    Yoochun went to the receptionist and ordered their food. He was quiet the whole time and she noticed it. She thought that perhaps he was bored and would have liked to go to the party. She didn’t want him to waste his vacation like this.

“Yoochun you want to go to the party. Why disagree?”

“Because I don’t want to go without you. I’ll feel out casted.”

“No, you won’t. My classmates would take very good care of you. They know how to party like you do. And if you are worried about racism, don’t worry they are not bad.”

“I’m not worried about racism. I just don’t want to go alone. I can at least dance with you.”

“My mother will not let me.”

“Well just ask her for once. Maybe she might let you go with me.”

“Yoochun, it is a club and you know how clubs are like. I get dancing and alcohol but there are more like lounges and drugs.”

“Your classmate wouldn’t be that stupid to invite you to this kind of parties.”

“Yoochun, if you want to go...just go. I’m not stopping you. You also might find a suitable girl for you.”

“Just eat Daemul...”      she shut knowing it was no use arguing with him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

   Hara woke up to find her father awake and was eating while Jaejoong was on the phone.

“Dad?”

“Hara.”    She went to him and took his hand.

“How are you feeling?”

“I’m fine here. Eating well and living. Did you sleep well?”    she nodded and Jaejoong hung up.

“Your mother is coming.”     Jaejoong informed and looked at Mr. Koo.     “Doctors said he’ll be discharged today.”

“That’s a relief...”   she huffed out and glared at her father.    “Have you been drinking or smoking?”

“Oh no! I swear!”    Mr. Koo shook his head seeing his daughter’s scared face.    “Your mother would kill me before that. I think it was just the weather.”

“Well better be careful next time.”    She yawned slightly and added.   “I’ll freshen up. Did you eat Jaejoong?”    he nodded with a light smile. Returning the smile she got off and went outside. Mr. Koo noticed that his smile still hadn’t disappeared.

“Oi!”   Mr. Koo pinched Jaejoong making him flinch.

“What the Mr. Koo?!”

“I’m still here you brat. Don’t you goggle at my girl in my presence or in my absence.”

“And to think that you’d be grateful for saving your life.”

“Hah! Saving my ! It was nothing anyway...”

“Mr. Koo you better watch your mouth when you have grandkids.”

“You!”    Mr. Koo couldn’t say much. The thought of his daughter getting married was heart-breaking but he did want grandkids.

“I’m gonna go and bring something to eat for her.”    Jaejoong got up and went out of the room. Hara should have been back by now. He knew the way to the washroom and perhaps he could wait till she returned to the room. He walked his way to the washroom which was empty. However he heard sobbing. It was loud for him to hear and he pushed the door slightly only to see Hara crying on the floor.

“Hara?”   he rushed to her sitting self and knelt before her.    “Why are you crying? Mr. Koo is healthy as a horse.”   He took her shoulders.

“I...I don’t know...”    she murmured in between her whimpers.    “I was just...so afraid. I couldn’t help but...”   Jaejoong gaped at her. He hasn’t seen this side of her. She was always strong and calm. She knew how to handle tough situations.

“You’re hungry that’s why you’re having such thoughts. Empty stomach makes your brain fuzzy.”    Hara chuckled while crying but sniffled her cries and looked at him.

“Thanks...”   she wiped her cheeks.    “I’m hungry...”

“That’s my girl. Now get up.”   He helped her up and held her shoulders to help her walk.

“I can walk Jaejoong.”

“I know but I wont get a chance like this every day, now would I?”    she ended up laughing.

They walked out the washroom and was going to the elevator when they saw her mother.

“You two going somewhere?”   she asked.

“She hasn’t eaten. I’m taking her for breakfast.”

“Oh...”   her mother nodded.   “Is he eating well?”    she asked for her husband. They both nodded and were excused for breakfast.              

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Minyoung and Yoochun were done with their food was had gone for the Ferris wheel. As usual, it was the slowest and most boring ride ever. However Yoochun and Minyoung couldn’t stop talking.

“This is awesome. I could see all from here.”

“Yoochun, don’t pretend as if this is your first ferris ride. You’ve been to States and tried their ones.”

“Well yes but not with my mother.”   She rolled her eyes. Yoochun looked down the tiny buildings and figures. It showed all kinds of people and their lives. They knew how to have fun and how to live their lives. It made him realize that how stupid he was back in his younger days. He was surrounded with fame but now...he had someone to knock that sense out of him. However the person was suffering inside.

“Aren’t you tired Minyoung?”

“Of what? Today? Well yes, it has been long time.”

“No...I don’t mean that...like keeping all to yourself. Aren’t you tired of not sharing?”

“What brought this up?”

“The slowness of this ride.”

“I should push you off then.”

“Yet you still not answer.”   She sighed. He was not going to give up.

“Depends what I am not sharing.”

“Well...what you are supposed to share it with your friends...your happiness and your pain.”      Minyoung frowned at him. Why was he speaking of happiness and pain all of a sudden?

“Yoochun...I share what I can...I can’t share what I am not supposed to.”

“Then why is it that...you’re friends don’t know what goes on your mind half of the time?”

“What do you mean?”

“Neither Hara nor Ga-in know what you would be thinking. They can drop by anytime with their problems but they never know that what you are going through that time. They don’t even know why you never talk about yourself. They think you have no problem but I can see that something had happened in the past and you are not sharing it.”

“Yoochun what is with you today?”

“Why do you shove the conversation when it is about you?”

“Who likes to talk about themselves?”

“Who doesn’t?”

“You’re crazy...”

“Do you remember how we used to be? Quarrelling, disliking each other and...I just used to think that I won’t be able to impress Hara because of you. But now...look at us. I was able to look through what most have missed and that’s why...you try harder than ever to conceal your bright side. I know that you didn’t come out with me today on your own...”    it was as if he caught her stealing. Her look was bewildered.

“Yoochun...”

“I don’t mind that but...life is small but if we know how to live it...we might not regret it later. We can’t live forever but we can live our lives forever.”

“Yoochun...”    he took her hands in his warm ones. Her hands were so small in his.

“I want to share my problems but I want to help you too. I want you to open up...tell me why you are so closeted most of the time and what bothers you. Daemul...I saw what your reaction was when those men were touching you. Your face showed that you worry about how others think of you...all you thought that it must have been your fault. No, its not. It was never your fault. Why would you stop your life for others? And when I entered in their club and after you knew, all you could think that if people knew...they would blame you for My recklessness. Damn it, it was my decision to enter their den. It wad those bastards’ decision to target you. You had nothing to do.”

Minyoung ignored looking at him. She just couldn’t see his face now. Was her reaction so obvious for his to catch? She was reckless in showing her behaviour.

Damn it...why do I keep showing that kind of behaviour to make it obvious?

“You’re thinking it again. I can see. Minyoung...”    he wanted to say. He really wanted to tell her that...he actually cared about her and that...this feeling was growing dangerously to the point that he might not look at anyone else.

“I have something that I want to say...I hope it helps you to understand.”    He added.     “All my life I was pursued by many and being the spoiled brat I was...I used to enjoy it. I would flirt and date many but I loved my family and friends much more than that and I couldn’t even imagine adding someone else. I couldn’t think of any woman entering my life.”

She looked at him...where was he going with this?

“At Maestro, when I saw Hara; I was dazzled by her personality. She was unlike any other but she didn’t feel the same for me and that wasn’t the main point. Within this time, I had been seeing the other woman...only for her music. It pulled me even more as days went by. All along, the dream I had been living in...with the girls and popularity were all false. Coming to Maestro taught me the lesson of true meaning of life. It just didn’t include fun, fame, dating, money...it included responsibilities, friendship and family and love. Minyoung...you have all of it and you take care of them but sometimes the other party feels excluded and guilty too. They feel that you are the only one doing so much and they feel like doing something too. Give them that chance...give me that chance.”

She actually couldn’t believe his words...he wanted that chance to help her. No one could catch that ever before...not even Hara and Ga-in. How could Yoochun? This was no longer the Yoochun who was loud mouthed, brash, perky, flirty, dumb who didn’t know what to say. This was rather the Yoochun who had learned so much. She liked both though...both stupid Yoochun and the gentle Yoochun.

She ended up laughing loud; surprising Yoochun. He didn’t know what was so funny. He wanted to ask but her laugh seemed genuine and not mockery. He smiled at her.

“Drama...what drama have you been watching?”   she asked between her laugh. He sighed with a smile knowing this was just to ease the tension. She needed a good laugh.

“Jane Eyre...”

His hands didn’t let go off hers.