Concern

Maestro

 

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

  

 Footsteps echoed in the hallway making the surrounding spooky even though it was midday. The poor guy had lost his way to class, fearing he might be embarrassed in front of his new classmates. He tried to look confident that he was fashionably late but he was unable to do so.

 

“Room 301.”   He mumbled looking at the paper in his hand. He walked further passing 299,300 then 301. The room in front of him closed but he could hear noises inside. He became more nervous and he started fixing his shirt. He took a deep breath and knocked the door.

 

“Yes?”   A woman with grey hair opened the door and looked at him through her glasses, which made him more nervous. After all, he was late for his very first day at this university.

 

“Hi…I’m new here….and umm…sorry for being late.”

She carefully looked at him trying to remember whether she was aware of her new student. Then it came to her.

 

“Ohh of course, not at all sonny, come in.”   She let him in the classroom and closed the door behind him. The guy stood in front of his class and the teacher stood beside him.

 

“Class we have a new student so I expect everyone to lend all the help he needs. Now boy introduce you.”   She gestured him to speak out.

 

“Hi everyone, my name is Kim Junsu and… I’m pleased to be here.”   He lightly bowed to his class.

 

“Since you’re late I suggest you take the back seat as they are only available at the moment. Better check the time next class.”   The remark caused Junsu to blush in shame. The teacher patted his back realizing his embarrassment

He walked towards his seat and slowly sat down. He was too eager to get this class started.

----------------------------------------------------------

 

He almost slipped on the tiles while running. He was way too late for his class as he thought. He had made too many blunders this morning oversleeping, being late for his first day at class. Things were not going too well for him. As he found his class, he dashed towards the door.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------

“Okay as I was saying, today we practice the lower tone and….”   She was interrupted once again when someone loudly opened the classroom door. The person looked at everyone with wide eyes as he realized they were kind of shocked by a loud intervention. The teacher understood and motioned the boy in.

 

“Sorry madam lost my way.”   He huffed and bowed as an apology.

 

“No matter, introduce yourself.”   Her monotone said.

 

“HYUNG, YOU’RE FINALLY HERE!”   Junsu stood up causing all of them to stare at him.

 

“You two know each other?”     The teacher was finally at the last of her nerve.

 

“He’s my roommate. We were supposed to be here together but…I came early…because…”

 

“I don’t want to know….”   She held up her hand not to continue. “What’s your name?”

 

“Uhh, it’s Kim Jaejoong. Nice to meet you all and I’m really sorry.”   He bowed and smiled.

 

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

This university seemed weird to him because during his days at previous university, girls screamed for him and men glared at him, but here none of them seemed interested in cute guys and hot girls. They seemed to be busier in studies and music.

                       Music….it was the most wonderful subject to him causing him to study about it. Because of this fact, he was glad that students here took music seriously than everything else.

 

He passed the busy students and walked further until he reached his classroom. The door was open and he could see that the class hasn’t started yet. He stepped into the room and surprisingly none of them looked at him. The teacher wasn’t here yet, so he went in the back and took an empty seat.

 

*Maybe its normal for a new student joining in the middle of the semester*     he thought.

 

A man suddenly entered and the entire classroom became silent. Few more students entered along with the teacher. Everyone filled their seats making the seat beside him the only empty one.

 

*Looks like someone’s bunking class today*  

 

“Alright class we’ll continue from last class and…”  the man’s eyes fell on the new face.

“You there, you’re new here? What’s your name?”   The teacher asked.

He was about to stand up out of respect but the teacher motioned him not to.

 

“Park Yoochun sir.”     He gave a killer smile thinking all the girls would awe, but none of them responded. He suddenly missed his popularity.

 

“Well welcome, how about you do this class and meet me after this finishes, ok?”   Yoochun nodded. The teacher was about to start when someone entered. She halted and observed everyone; realizing their exasperation.

 

“Sorry sir, I’ll just take my seat.”   She softly said and went to her seat. By the time, Yoochun realized what was going on she already sat beside him. That shocked him a lot wanting to scoot away from her. Not that she was ugly; it was her extreme confidence that scared him. No girl could confidently sit beside a boy-specially a handsome one-unless…it was scary on so many levels.

 

*maybe she has no personality*   his pupil dilated to her side face. He had to admit she was beautiful…very doll like. That was what scared him.

 

*I bet she’s like other doll faced who are snobby.*

The teacher started his class and he quickly noted them. While doing that he stole a glance from her. She was listening and writing very seriously. She looked way too serious to be snobby.

 

*Who knows she might surprise you.*  

The teacher went on explaining the expression of Goth in piano playing. He was explaining its history, development and its end and revival. It was an appreciation class before demonstration. Yoochun knew about classical, folk etc but he never knew about Goth. This was something he wanted to know about.

 

“As you all know Mozart, Beethoven, Hamelin, Cliburn and Gottschalk. They were the greatest pianist in the world but have any of you heard of any Goth pianist in history?”   He asked. All of them shook their heads including Yoochun.

 

“Can anyone tell me why?”

 

“It's because the theme Goth represented outcasts and uncivilized beings during middle ages. It was most unpopular in Germany and Italy amongst churches. The artists hid themselves as they were considered against the god. They fled to different countries where they played their pieces thus spreading the genre. However, they were not earning much from it. Many of them turned their backs on it; while those who didn’t, reveal themselves.”     The girl beside Yoochun answered sincerely. He looked at her with a bit of surprise.

 

*Beauty +bold brains. I’m impressed.*

 

“That’s quite correct. Thank you Hara.”   The teacher said and continued.

 

*Hara…so that’s her name? Normally it’s mostly Yunhee, Yoojin, Yoomin or Sooyoung, Sohyun, Sooyoung or Minha, Mijin, Mira…Hara? Quite uncommon. I have heard Hye soo, Hye kyo, Hyoyeon, but never Hara. It’s a name commonly unheard of.*

He mentally shrugged and looked back at the teacher; he was speaking of the Goth pianist in modern days. He was speaking of Erik Stanley a new renowned pianist who took up the theme Goth. The teacher was very good looking. He hair; had a light shade of grey, was longer than usual tied in the back. The t-shirt was fitted on his light muscular body and he had a frameless glass on. And he wasn’t Korean.

 

*No wonder none looks at Me.* he sort of started admiring his physicality. No, it wasn’t anything homoual, and he definitely knew that. He shook that thought and started listening more carefully to his lectures. He noticed Hara’s hair all of a sudden. It was light brown, unlike most Koreans. She was wearing a light green tank top with ‘Music is forever’ written on it in black. The skinny jeans revealed the leg’s shape. She had an hourglass figure.

 

*Great, now I’m having erted thoughts.*

The class went for about one and half-hours. When he dismissed the class, the students started packing their bags and so were they-him and Hara. She quickly rushed out of the class after bowing to the teacher. While all the students were leaving so was Yoochun, the teacher suddenly called him. He went near his table and waited while the teacher wrote something.

 

“If you need anything just ask me alright? It’s kind of first that a student would join in the middle of the semester. Are you sure you’re catching up?”   He asked.

 

“Of course sir, I’m getting everything. If I do need some help, I can ask the students here. They seem really serious about it.”   He said.

 

“Ok then. By the way my name is Emon Chowdhury from Bangladesh so my accent might be very awkward to you.”   He smiled.

 

“That’s absolutely fine sir and thank you for your concern.”   Yoochun bowed and left the classroom.

 

*Wow, that wasn’t bad, unlike my previous university. I think I will love it here.*

 

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

 

“Mr. Jaejoong where is your book?”   The teacher Mrs. Yvonne asked crossing her hands onto her chest.

 

“Uhh…I think I left it in my locker…”   he rubbed his neck in embarrassment. Today has been a bad day for him for some reason.

 

“Well go and get it.”   She snapped. He quickly got up and ran out of the class.

He has been very clumsy today. He overslept which was already mentioned, he burned his favorite shirt while ironing, and he stepped on a puddle while entering the building…and so on. He kept running and lightly bumped on few students who seemed to be on a break or their class had finished just now. He was mentally tired from the past one and half hour. An hour was left. Composing class was sure difficult and longer than others. While running towards his locker he totally bumped into someone causing the person to fall down with few books.

 

“Oh I’m so sorry, let me help.”   Jaejoong totally forgot about the book and got down to pick the books.

 

“That’s ok.”   The girl bluntly answered.

 

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry. Today’s a bad day for me.”   He just looked up and saw her face…stuck like a glue. He blinked few times trying to get out of this confusion. The female put the books in her bag then noticed that the guy was staring at her continuously.

 

“Is there something on my face?”   She lightly asked. He slowly shook his head and quickly averted his eyes from her face. It seemed to him that he had seen too much.

 

“Sorry...”   he said again and stood up along with her. She lightly bowed and walked past him. He stood there like an idiot for few minutes.

 

~What just happened? ~

His breathing became uneven and he put his hand onto his chest. That was a bit too much. Then he realized he had to get a book. He quickly walked towards the locker.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

 

“Where have you been? What took you so long?”   Junsu whispered when Jaejoong took his seat beside him. He seemed dazed for some reason. He was fine a moment ago. May be he was glum about his luck today. The teacher went on with the class and Junsu was enjoying every moment of it. He wanted this environment in a university unlike the one he used to study.

                                         After the class was over, they started packing their bags. Mrs. Yvonne came towards them.

 

“The principle has told me to inform you that when your classes are over do see him.”   She said.

 

“Yes, madam, thank you.”   They both bowed and she left.

 

“She seems Russian.”   Junsu said.

 

“Hmm, there are lots of foreign teachers rather than Korean teachers.”   Jaejoong quietly said.

 

“What’s wrong hyung? You seem dazed.”   Junsu asked.

 

“Nothing, let’s go and see whether his classes have finished.”   Jaejoong smiled and left the classroom. That man, always putting others before himself and doesn’t tell others about his problems. Something must have happened. They were walking beside each other. Junsu realized if he had been here, Jaejoong would have walked aimlessly.

 

“Shall we call him?”   Junsu asked. He plainly nodded.

Junsu took out his cell and dialed his number. After ringing few times, he picked up.

 

“Hyung?”

 

Junsu?”

 

Where are you?”

 

In the principal’s office.”

 

Already? We’re coming.”   He hung up and looked at jaejoong.

 

“He’s already there isn’t he?”   Jaejoong lightly smiled. Junsu nodded.

They walked ahead.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

 

“You know you three are the only students whom we have allowed to admit here in the middle of our semester so I expect you bring the same results as in your admission test.”   The principal said.

Three of them nodded.

 

“But I’m still curious, why would you leave a university which has the same reputation as ours? What was the point here?”   He continued.

 

“Sir, to be honest… we had some serious problems back there. We had to deal with …extreme situations of bullying and…other non-mentionable matters but not anything criminal we can assure that. So….”   Jaejoong said.

 

“So you thought leaving them would be a good solution? Are you really catching up to our syllabus?”   The principal asked.

 

“Sir, we are good not because of the university, it’s because we took these subjects seriously, all we needed was an environment.”   Yoochun answered.

 

“your guardians were requested us to get you in, they even offered a lot of money, however you know we only take talented students just like that one. Well I’m not worried about that, just bring good results and I hope you do good. Just answer me one thing…are you two brothers?”   He asked.

 

“Sir, us? No sir, we are just roommates. Our surnames are just similar.”   Junsu said causing Jaejoong to smile a bit. They were often confused to be brothers, if not then perhaps married gay couple. But none of them were correct. They only shared the same surname. Korea was very awkward with names. He nodded with an understanding.

 

“And you too live with them?”   Principle asked.

 

“Yes sir, we are best friends.”   Yoochun answered with a cute goofy smile. Their previous principal used to melt at this smile.

 

~That isn’t going to work Yoochun~   Jaejoong thought. The principal nodded again without responding to Yoochun’s smile but then looked at the Kims.

 

“Very well then if you need anything, just let me know and if you three need personal tutors I could suggest few brilliant students.”

 

“That won’t be necessary, but if we do need one, we’ll let you know sir, thank you sir.”   Jaejoong smiled.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

They were sitting in the library. Hara was just looking at the open book however not reading anything. Something else was in her mind. Her two other friends noticed her expression. One of them Ga-in looked at the other one Minyoung. They both wanted to know what was bothering her. Ga-in nodded her head mentally asking whether she should ask her. Minyoung shook her head to leave it to her.

                         Her mind was off to another dimension. She was still thinking of the boy…the way he was staring at her…as if…he has never seen a woman…as if he just found something…he knows.

‘Who are you?’

 

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::