Sugar Rush

Let Me Be With You

“We want to help you Taemin.” Jinhee smiled and placed her hand on Taemin’s hand. Taemin smiled back. Jonghyun looked at their hands and placed his hand on top of Jinhee’s slightly squeezing it. The sudden contact made her heart race again.

“Okay. I guess.” Taemin agreed. “Great!” Jonghyun said excitedly.

 

“Umm Jonghyun oppa? You can let go now.” Jinhee said after a while. “Oh right.” 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

NORMAL POV

“So you really like him?” Jinhee asked while they were in the privacy of Luna’s music classroom. She asked that question out of pure curiosity, just like any other best friend would.

Yesterday, Jinhee had been assigned the task of finding out info about Luna and Onew and then reporting it to Jonghyun and Taemin. She couldn’t help but to feel like she was betraying Luna in some way. Although she’s doing this to help Taemin, she had to make sure Luna wasn’t hurt in the process.

“Honestly? I don’t know. I mean yeah he’s cute, funny, smart and has an amazing voice. But right now, I don’t know if I actually really like him. You know?” Luna played a slow tune on the piano. Jinhee smiled watching her. “Just a crush then?”

“Yeah. Maybe. And what about you? Is it just a crush too?” Jinhee turned to her friend, confused. “What d'you mean?” Luna picked up a pencil and started jotting down notes on the music sheet in front of her. “You know, with Jonghyun?”

“What?” Jinhee giggled. “We’re just friends Luna.”

“You sure? I’ve seen the way you blush when you’re around him.” Luna turned to Jinhee and tilted her head. “You sure you don’t like him? Even just a bit?” Jinhee nudged her best friend and started playing the piano herself. “Nonsense. We’re just friends, really.”

__________

 

“Okay so first, you gotta stop being so mean to her. Be nicer! So she knows that you care!” Jonghyun said to Taemin who was just sitting by the side watching, as Jonghyun worked out in the gym. “I can’t. I’m not used to that.”

“Well then now’s a good time to get used to it.” Jonghyun put down the weights he was lifting and faced Taemin placing his hands on his hips. “Do want me to help you or not?”

Taemin groaned. Just the thought of getting help from Jonghyun makes him feel so pathetic. “Fine fine. I’ll be nice.” A satisfied smile spread across Jonghyun’s face. “Good! Now you have to ask her out.”

“What?! No! It’ll be weird if I ask her out suddenly.” Taemin argued. “I didn’t say for a date! Just, you know, ask her when you guys could hang out or something. Jinhee can be there too.”

Taemin thought about when they could hang out like Jonghyun said. He snapped his finger as he came up with something and took out his phone. “You’re going to ask her now?” Jonghyun asked, a bit surprised at how fast Taemin took his advice. “Yup!” Excited, Jonghyun sat next to the younger boy and leaned in, wanting to listen to the conversation.

“Yeoboseyo?” Luna picked up the call.

“Yeoboseyo. Luna! It’s Taemin.”

“Ne, what is it Taemin-ah?”

“I just wanted to see if you’re free this weekend?”

“Hmm, so far no plans. Why?”

“That’s great! We can hang out, maybe play basketball or something? Jinhee can come too!” Hearing this, Jonghyun looked at Taemin confused. He motioned for Taemin to stop but was ignored.

“Oh that sounds fun! I haven’t played basketball in a long time.”

“So it’s on?”

“Yup! I’ll tell Jinhee about it. See you Taemin!”

She hung up and so did Taemin, with a big smile on his face. Jonghyun however, was looking at him unsatisfied. “What?” Taemin asked. “Don’t we usually play basketball on the weekends?” Taemin slowly nodded, still not understanding why it was a problem. “So? We can play together! And you can see Jinhee on that day too.”

“Lee Taemin, you really are a pabo aren’t you? We usually play basketball together INCLUDING ONEW HYUNG! You just created another chance for them to meet again.” Finally realising the problem, his mouth shaped into a small O. “Oh. .”

“Wait a minute did you say I could see Jinhee on that day?” Taemin rolled his eyes at Jonghyun. “Aish. Hyung, spending time with you has made me stupid, like you.”

“I am not stupid!” Jonghyun snapped. “Now are you sure Jinhee’s coming?”

“UGHHHHHH” A frustrated Taemin put his hands around Jonghyun’s neck and strangled him for a while before storming off.

Jonghyun fell on the bench as Taemin let go and he panted. “He’s trying to kill me!”

__________

 

The three friends walked home together after school and Taemin, still feeling upset over the stupid plan he made before, tried to find a way to change it.

“So about the plan for this weekend, I-“

“Oh! That’s right, Jinhee, we’re gonna play basketball this weekend. Sounds fun, right?” Luna interrupted Taemin before he could even suggest changing plans. “Basketball?” Jinhee raised an eyebrow.

“Actually, I was gonna suggest we do something else.” Taemin said, slightly hinting to Jinhee from his expression to help him out. “Um, let’s go watch a movie or something instead?” Jinhee suggested. “Yeah! A movie, great idea!”

“But I was already looking forward to basketball!” Luna whined. They reached Starbucks and stood outside while continuing their conversation. “You know there’s a new movie out right? Um The Avengers or something.” Jinhee said. “Yeah yeah I want to watch that too!” Taemin agreed. As long as it was nowhere near Onew.

“Aw guys please?” Luna pouted. “It’s been so long since I’ve played a game of basketball. Please please please?” She turned to Taemin and blinked a few times still pouting. Blinded by everything Luna, Taemin subconsciously agreed. “Okay.”

“YAAAY thanks Taemin!” She hugged him and then ran into Starbucks for her shift.

“What just happened?” Taemin asked as he got back to reality. “Sigh …” Jinhee walked away shaking her head at him. “You’re so weak Taemin!” She punched him. “W-what?”

“A simple aegyo and you couldn’t say no?!” She snapped. Taemin giggled and scratched the back of his head. “Sorry.” Jinhee rolled her eyes at him. “So the basketball thing is on? Why did you want to change plans by the way?”

“Cause you know I usually play basketball with the guys right? Meaning Onew hyung is going to be there.” He let out a frustrated sigh. “Oh. Right. What should we do?”

“Guess I’ll have to try my best to make sure she doesn’t end up hanging out with Onew hyung the whole time.”

Jinhee felt sorry seeing him so frustrated. “I’ll help you okay?” Taemin nodded and smiled. “Thanks.”

“YAH! WAIT UP!” A voice called out from behind. Jinhee and Taemin turned simultaneously and there was Key and Minho running up to them.

“Minho hyung, Key hyung, what are you guys doing here?” Taemin asked. “We were just walking by and we saw the both of you so we thought we should just walk together.” Key explained. “Hi Jinhee!”

“Hi Key-ssi! Hi Minho-ssi.” Jinhee waved at the both of them. “You can just call me Key if you like! Or .. hehe Key oppa.”

“Okay. Key oppa. Can I call you Minho oppa then?” Jinhee asked looking up at Minho. “Sure. Why not.” He replied smiling back at her.

They started walking with Minho next to Jinhee and Key in between Jinhee and Taemin. “So I hear Jinhee and Luna are playing basketball together with us this weekend?” Key asked.

“What? How did you know?” Taemin asked, surprised. “Jonghyun told me.” Key said.

“Why does Jonghyun oppa tell you everything?” Jinhee asked. “Because.” She raised her eyebrow. “Because what?” Key rolled his eyes. “Just because okay!”

“Because Key threatens Jonghyun hyung that’s why.” Minho said. “I do not!” Key snapped back. “So Jonghyun oppa is afraid of you? Hehe nice.” Jinhee giggled at the thought of threating Jonghyun with Key. “Interesting, you find it awesome that he’s afraid of me?” Jinhee nodded. “Yeah! Hehe it’s cool. This means I can threaten to tell on him to you!”

“Hmm. I like you already Jinhee. We can be good friends!” He put his arm around Jinhee. “Hey! Back off she’s my friend!” Taemin said getting in between them and pushing Key’s hand away. “Yah why don’t you just go and handle your relationship with Luna first.” Taemin’s eyes widened. “How’d you …? Jonghyun hyung?” Key shook his head. “Aniyo. I just know. It’s so obvious Taemin.”

“It is?” Taemin sighed. “Yeah even I know. Probably the only person who doesn’t is the girl herself.” Minho added. Taemin sighed again and pouted. “Aigoo is my baby sad now?” Key cooed him and went in umma mode towards Taemin.

Jinhee giggled. “They’re so cute.” She said to Minho. He let out a chuckle. “You’ll be seeing this kind of thing often. So you’re coming right on Saturday?”

“Hmm? Oh yeah, I guess so. Have to help Taemin with the whole Luna thing.” She whispered the last sentence. Minho smiled at her actions. He found her cute.

They reached a bus stop and Minho grabbed Key away from Taemin, saying that they were supposed to take a bus from there. “Alright. Guess we’ll see you guys soon. Bye~” Key said. Both Taemin and Jinhee waved as they walked away.

Even when they were a few metres away they could still hear Key’s voice. “Are you sure this is the stop?” “So which bus are we taking?” “Yah Choi Minho!” “AISH KEY WILL YOU SHUT IT?!”

Both Jinhee and Taemin laughed when they heard Minho explode. It was just a matter of time before anyone would when they’re with Key.

 

__________

 

The week went by pretty fast and before they knew it, it was already Friday night. Which means that the basketball “date” was only the next day.

While Taemin was worried thinking about how he was going to make sure Luna wouldn’t be distracted with Onew there, Jinhee was quite excited to see what would happen. It was all too interesting to her. She smiled to herself thinking of what possible scenarios may happen.

“Why are you smiling to yourself?” Wooyoung asked, realising her attention was not on the show they were watching. “Huh? Oh hehe nothing.”

“You seem to be very smiley lately. Did anything happen?” She shook her head and leaned onto her brother. “Aniyo. Oh by the way did I tell you I’m going out to play basketball tomorrow?”

“No you didn’t. Who with?” He slightly shifted adjusting his legs. “With Luna .. and Taemin … Jonghyun … and some of his friends.”

“Oh great more boys.” Wooyoung sighed. Jinhee giggled. “Oppa! You’re so cute. Relax, we’re just playing basketball.”

“Okay but if anything happens, call me okay? And don’t get too close to the guys.” Jinhee nodded and held out her pinky. “Promise!”

“You pinky promised Jinhee! If you break the promise … I won’t buy you any more ice cream.” Her eyes widened at his last sentence. “Oppa you’re so mean!”

__________

 

It was already noon and the sun was at its highest point. The boys were already there at the basketball court except Taemin. He had decided to wait for Jinhee and Luna and walk together.

“Oh here they come!!!” Jonghyun got excited as he saw the three of them walking towards the basketball courts. “Jinhee!” He waved at her, completely ignoring the other two.

“Look Jinhee your ‘just a friend’ is waving at you.” Luna teased. “Shut up Luna.” She lightly waved back not wanting to disappoint the all too excited Jonghyun.

“Hyung, what about us? You were waving to only Jinhee?” Taemin asked  when they reached the court. “Whatever Taemin. Hey Luna. Jinhee! Come, you can put your stuff over here, next to mine!” He dragged Jinhee all the way to the end of the court where there was shade from a tree. She put her stuff down and took a seat crossing her legs. He did the same, next to her.

“Why are you so excited today?” Jinhee asked. “I don’t know but isn’t this fun? This is fun right?” She stared at the hyperactive boy next to her. “ ….. you probably had too much sugar or something this morning.”

They started playing soon after; taking turns to be in the team as they had an odd number altogether. Taemin actually did a pretty good job of making sure Luna wasn’t distracted by Onew. He had her on the same team as him with Onew in their opponents’ team and they worked pretty well together. Jinhee didn’t even have to do anything to help Taemin.

Jonghyun had played in every round they had. It was the sugar rush from the box of candies he found at home. By the end of a few games, he was already worn out. He went to the side and sat down, panting. He watched as the rest were playing and laughing. Minho walked over and sat next to him.

“She’s cute.” He said, looking at Jinhee. She was pouting at Taemin as he got a shot in, stealing the ball from her. “I know right.” Jonghyun replied.

“You like her?” Minho asked reaching for the bottle of water on his right. “Jinhee? Of course! She’s my friend!” He replied. “No I mean. Do you have like … a thing for her?”

“What? Pshh! Of course not!” Minho raised his eyebrow. “Really? Sure seems like you do. The way you look at her and all.”

“Aniyo! I look at everyone like that! She’s just a friend.” Jonghyun replied. Minho nodded and started to get up. “Then don’t mind if I make my move.”

“Huh? Yah what are you-“ Jonghyun started but stopped when he realised what Minho meant. He was going to make a move on Jinhee. He watched as Minho went up and initiated another round, this time, Taemin and Luna against him and Jinhee.

Taemin and Luna won, making them break into a victory dance that had Jinhee laughing.

“Ah she’s laughing, so beautiful … “ He thought to himself and smiled.

They had two basketballs. So Taemin, Luna, Onew and Key were playing taking up one half of the court while Minho and Jinhee took the other half. Jonghyun watched closely as Minho was teaching Jinhee how to make a perfect shot from the three-point line. His hands were on her hands, holding onto the basketball and his chest was against her back. “What does he think he’s doing? Trying to steal my friend away from me?” Jonghyun muttered to himself.

 

Four hours had passed and all of them were already out of energy. Looking at the time, they decided to leave for home.

“Let’s go~ Let’s go~ Eh? Jjong where are you going? Our place is this way.” Key asked. “Oh I’m gonna walk with them.” He replied. “Ah. Arasso … “ Key pouted and left with Minho and Onew as they said their goodbyes and walked in opposite directions.

“You okay?” Jinhee asked Jonghyun, noticing how quiet he had been. “Yup.”

“Yah, I think we should leave them alone.” Taemin whispered to Luna. “Agreed.” They both walked slower, falling further behind from the other two. Taemin of course, using this to his advantage. “Hey let’s go grab some food?” Luna looked at him and smiled. “Okay! Let’s go!” She grabbed his hand and led the way.

Realising it was too quiet, Jinhee ly to realise that her two other friends weren’t there. “Hmm? Where did they go?” She eyed the place trying to see if they were there. “Who?” Jonghyun asked without even lifting his gaze from the pavement. “Taemin and Luna. Weren’t they right here a minute ago?” She asked again. “I don’t know. Forget them, Taemin probably wanted more time with her.”

“Um, Jonghyun oppa are you okay?” She asked grabbing his arm. “Hmm? Oh. Uh, yeah. Just tired.” He smiled at her. “So Jinhee, you want to hang out with me tomorrow? We can go watch a movie or something?” She bit her lower lip and avoided his gaze. It was making him nervous. “Actually … Minho oppa … already asked me out tomorrow. And … I already said yes.” Jonghyun blinked a few times, processing it in his head. “Minho oppa? … ah well then. Okay.”

“I’m so sorry Jonghyun oppa. Why don’t I meet you after Minho oppa?” She suggested. “Oh no no, it’s fine. I forgot I have a date too.” He said. “Oh. Okay.”

The rest of the walk home was too quiet and awkward. Neither of them said anything until they had reached Jinhee’s house. “So I’ll see you soon?” Jinhee said with her hands behind her back. “Yeah. Bye.” He waited for her to go in before leaving himself.

 

JONGHYUN’S POV

Trying to steal my friend away from me huh Minho? Well let’s just see how your date goes. Hmm who shall be my date for tomorrow … ugh none of these girls will do. Ah! I have an idea.

“Yeoboseyo? Taemin! I need your help.”

“Wae?”

“I need you to be my date for tomorrow.”

“WHAT?!”

“Aw come on Taemin. Minho’s trying to steal Jinhee from being my friend! I have to stop him!”

“Um, hyung … that’s ridiculous.”

“Please Taemin, pleaaaaaaase! I’ll owe you one!”

“…. Really? You’ll do anything?”

“Anything!”

“Okay then. As long as I don’t have to cross dress or anything.”

“Uh …”

“Hyung!”

“Okay bye!”

Yes! You’re not getting away with it that easily Minho.  

 

NORMAL POV

“I should have never agreed to this.” Taemin said. “Why? You look great!”

“Oh really? Would you like to put on make-up, wear a skirt and a wig too hyung?” Taemin snapped at him. “Erm. No?” Jonghyun replied. “You owe me hyung, big time!”

“Okay okay. You look good Taemin seriously …. If you weren’t a guy I’d ask you out.” Jonghyun eyed Taemin up and down. “Stop that!” Taemin shouted at him, feeling self-conscious. Jonghyun snapped out of it and reminded himself that Taemin was a guy.

“Woah. That was freaky … You’re so attractive.” Jonghyun said. “Hyung, seriously before I decide to leave … “

“Okay sorry! Now let’s go. I found out they’re going to the mall today. Come on.” Jonghyun said as he opened the door of his apartment and motioned for Taemin to go.

“Nice legs though Taemin.”

“HYUNG!”

“Sorry ..” 

 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hehe Minho & Jinhee, yay or nay? :P