Secret

Let Me Be With You

I’m friends now with Jinhee. Heh she’s cool. I feel comfortable around her.

And I love it when she smiles. She makes me smile too.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

NORMAL POV

(continued from previous chapter .. )

“Well this is me.” Jinhee said as they reached her place. Jonghyun took a look at her house, eyeing it from corner to corner noticing its details. It wasn’t big, but it wasn’t small either. It was smaller than the other houses on the street though. Her house was a dark and dull shade of blue but the layers of paint had already come loose.

“Um, it’s probably not as nice as your house, sorry.” Jinhee said softly. Jonghyun diverted his attention back onto her. “Oh no no, I was just … observing it.”

“So about your brother …”

“Oh don’t worry I’ll go apologise to him later.”

“But uh I kinda promised him I wouldn’t come near you anymore and I don’t think he’ll be happy that we’re friends.” Jonghyun scratched the back of his head. “Oh. Right.” Jinhee bit her bottom lip and looked to the ground. Both of them were just standing there now, not knowing what else to say or do.

“WELL look who we have here … “

“Oh, appa!”

Jinhee’s father walked down the pavement towards them and stood next to his daughter. Jinhee gave her father a slight hug. “Back from work appa?” He nodded his head and then averted his gaze to the boy standing in front of him. “And who’s this?”

“This is my friend.” Jinhee said looking over to Jonghyun as well. “Annyeonghaseyo, I’m Kim Jonghyun.” Jonghyun bowed down 90 degrees, placing his hand over his hat to make sure it doesn’t fall off. “Ah … Jonghyun.” Jinhee’s dad turned to look at her with raised eyebrows. She returned a look scrunching her eyebrows together, slightly pouting. Jonghyun giggled.

“Aigoo … but look at your face. What happened?”

“Oh nothing. Just … some misunderstanding.”

“Ah well, why don’t you come in?” Jinhee’s father started walking towards their front door and looked back at Jonghyun. 

“It’s fine, I should really be getting home. I was just walking Jinhee home after .. getting … ice ... cream.”

The last few words came out slowly as he saw Wooyoung open their front door.

“What are you all doing outside? It’s-“ Wooyoung stopped as he realized it was Jonghyun standing with his sister and father.

“I’m gonna go inside. “ Their father walked up and softly said to Wooyoung. “Be nice.”

Wooyoung walked up to where the two were and looked at Jonghyun, then at Jinhee and back at Jonghyun. “What are you doing here?”

Jinhee ran up to hug her Wooyoung almost causing him to fall backwards. “Wooyoung oppa I’m so sorry I jumped to conclusions! I’m sorry oppa, I’m such a bad person. Please forgive me!” Wooyoung put her arms around his sobbing sister and hugged her back. “It’s okay. I’ve already forgiven you.” He brought her face up to look at him and smiled.

Jonghyun cleared his throat. “Ehem. I’m … sorry. For causing this misunderstanding.” Wooyoung simply looked at Jonghyun and nodded. 

Jinhee broke the hug and took a step back. “We have something to tell you oppa. We’re friends now!” Jinhee said happily as if nothing ever happened. Wooyoung raised an eyebrow at them. “Don’t worry, just friends. Nothing more. Friends.” Jonghyun said. “You’re okay with that right Wooyoung hyung?”

Wooyoung let out a big sigh. “Fine. BUT if anything happens … you’ll be the first one I go after.” He stared at Jonghyun. Jonghyun let out a nervous laugh. “Heh heh … ookay.”

“Great! Now everyone’s happy! Hehehe.” Jinhee giggled. Jonghyun looked at Jinhee and smiled. She smiled back and they maintained eye contact for a while.

“OKAY! If you guys are done, Jinhee, shall we go in now?” Wooyoung interrupted. “Oh right. Okay. Bye Jonghyun oppa, see you in school!” Jinhee waved to him as she walked into the house.

“I’ve got my eyes on you, arasso? Jonghyun oppa?” Wooyoung teased.

__________

 

“Does this mean we’re friends with Jonghyun too?” Luna asked as they walked to school on Monday. “I guess?” Jinhee replied.

“I already am friends with Jonghyun hyung!” Taemin said with a smug look.

“Right so since my two best friends are friends with Kim Jonghyun, so am I!” Luna clapped her hands in excitement. “And why are you so happy about being friends with Jonghyun oppa?” Jinhee asked.

“OMO! OPPA? You call him oppa?!” Jinhee blushed. “W-why? He told me to call him that …”

“Ehhh why are you blushing?” Taemin teased. “Shut up Taemin! So why are you so happy about being friends with Jonghyun oppa again?”

“Because this is perfect! I can hang around him. And Onew hangs around him. Which means I get to hang around Onew. And …” Luna drifted off into a dreamy stare without finishing her sentence.

“Onew hyung? You like him?”

“What’s not to like about him? His smart, kind, has an amazing voice …”

“Oh.” Taemin replied with a glint of disappointment in his eyes. Jinhee noticed this. It was the same expression he had when Jonghyun walked Luna to class. She nudged him slightly and whispered, “Taemin you okay?”

“Yeah.” He nodded.

“If there’s anything wrong, you can tell me alright?” Taemin could sense the sincerity in her words. He turned to her and gave her a warm smile.

The rest of the day was pretty boring for Jinhee especially with Taemin being all quiet. She honestly expected to see more of Jonghyun now that they were friends but she hadn’t seen him the whole day.

 

It was lunchtime and Jinhee and Taemin were walking to their usual place for lunch. Luna decided to skip lunch to finish up some of her work, so it was just the two of them. They were walking slowly, swinging their lunches in their hands, smiling every time their shoulders bumped into each other.

The smile swept off Jinhee’s face as soon as they reached the fountain. They saw Jonghyun. He was there with a girl and she was sitting on his lap, caressing the bruises on his face while his hand was around her waist. They were talking and giggling. Jinhee had no idea why but she felt her heart race. It made her feel weird.

“Um, let’s go somewhere else.” Taemin spoke bringing Jinhee back to her senses. “Oh it’s okay let’s just get to our bench table.” She replied.

They walked past Jonghyun without even looking at him. “So disgusting. Why of all places here?!” Jinhee whispered. “Are you jealous?” Taemin teased. Jinhee scoffed and took out her sandwich. “Why would I be jealous? But seriously we’re trying to have our lunch here …”

“As if you don’t know him … biggest player in school hello~~” Jinhee took a bit of her sandwich. “Yeah yeah now let’s just finish our lunch and get out of here after.”

__________

 

“And then! I said hi to him and he said hi to me so we ended up having this 5 minute conversation!” Luna exclaimed. She had gone over to Jinhee and Taemin’s class just to tell them about her conversation with Onew.

“I thought you said you were doing your work?” Taemin asked. “Well yeah I was but then I saw Onew!” Taemin rolled his eyes at her.

Luna looked at her watched and gasped. “Okay guys I have to run back now bye!” 

“What the heck, she ditched us for a five minute conversation with Onew hyung.” Taemin muttered after she left.

“Uh yeah.” Was the only thing Jinhee could say. She saw that look in Taemin’s eyes again. She was sure it had something to do with Onew because everytime his name was mentioned, Taemin’s expression would change.

Maybe Onew did something to Taemin which made him upset? I should talk to him about this later.  Jinhee thought to herself.

She excused herself to the restroom in the middle of class. She didn’t really have to go; she just wanted to get out of that class for a while. Taemin was already drooling on his desk.

“Jinhee~~” she heard her name being called as she was walking down the hallway. She turned to find Jonghyun trailing behind. “Oh! Why are you here?”

“Can’t I say hi to a friend?” He caught up to her. “Yes but don’t you have classes?”

“Of course. I’m just taking a breather, just like you.” She turned to him wide-eyed. “What?”

He let out a slight laugh. “I just know these things okay. You’re trying to escape from a boring class too!”

“As a matter of fact, I actually need the restroom, thank you very much.”

“Oh yeah? Then why didn’t you go to the one nearest to your class?”

She bit her lip. “I just like this restroom better okay! Now if you’ll excuse me.” She went into the restroom and facepalmed herself. She just stood there for a few minutes since she lied about having to “go”. She was surprised when she came out and saw Jonghyun still there, waiting for her outside of the toilet.

“You’re still here?”

“And you lied! I know you were just standing against the toilet door.” He replied. “Whatever Jonghyun oppa. I’m going back to class now.”

“Aw so soon? Come and sit with me, we can talk for a while.” Jonghyun walked towards the staircase on the right. “Talk?” She hesitated but took a seat anyway.

“I saw you just now. You were walking with Taemin near the fountain.”

“Oh. Yeap, we saw you too.” She replied.

“Really? Why didn’t you say hi?”

“Well it kinda looked like you were busy so … “

“Not really I wasn’t.”

“Okay … well next time I’ll say hi then.” She rested her head on her knees, hugging them. “Why are you in a bad mood today? What’s wrong Jinhee?” He moved nearer to her and tilted his head so that he could see her face. “Nothing. Just … thinking.”

“Oh. What about? Is there something troubling you?” She turned to him and smiled. “You’re close with Onew-ssi and Taemin right Jonghyun oppa?”

“Yes why?”

“Well, did something happen between them?” She was facing him now. “Not that I know of. Did Taemin say something?”

“No it’s just … okay I’ll tell you since you’re Taemin’s friend too. Everytime Onew’s name is mentioned, Taemin’s expression always changes. Like he looks sad, angry, I don’t know. “ Jonghyun nodded listening to her. He then smirked. “Why are you smirking! This is serious. They may have fought or something.”

He laughed. “It’s definitely not that. Why were you guys talking about Onew anyway? Just avoid talking about him then, duh!”

“It’s because of Luna! She keeps getting excited over little stuff concerning Onew. I think she has a crush on him.” Jinhee said whispering the last sentence. Jonghyun smiled as if he knew something she didn’t.

“Ah, so it’s because of Luna that you guys end up talking about Onew, because she has a crush on him.” He started to get up. “Problem is maybe he has a crush on her.” He muttered softly but just loud enough for Jinhee to catch it.

“Hmm?” Jinhee raised an eyebrow. Jonghyun held out his hand to help her get up. ”Nothing. You should get back to class now.”

“Okay.” She shrugged. “See you soon Jinhee.” He winked at her before walking away.

 

__________

 

“Taemin … Taemin … WAKE UPPP!” She shook him when the class ended. His eyes fluttered open and he got up slowly. “EW TAEMIN YOU DROOLED!” He sheepishly grinned and wiped the saliva on the corner of his mouth.

Taemin yawned and got up to stretch. “Taemin, let’s practice dance today okay?”

“Okay but I have to get home first. Promised my mom I’d help her with something. And I gotta go now!” He stuffed his things into his bag and ran out with it half zipped.

She ran out with him. Taemin didn’t notice but his notebook fell out as he was rushing. “YOUR BAG ISN’T ZIPPED FULLY!” Jinhee called out. He brought his bag to his front and zipped it up all the way. “THANKS!” He shouted, giving a thumbs up as he ran off. Jinhee saw the blue notebook on the floor a few feet away.

She knew it was Taemin’s as she had seen him use it before; figured it must’ve fallen out while he was rushing. She picked it up and decided to just pass it back to Taemin when they met later.

She went to change into her dance clothes and then to the dance studio, doing some stretches and warming up while waiting for Taemin. 

“I DON’T WANT TO!” Someone screamed from outside the studio. Making her way to the door she looked out and saw Key standing there with Jonghyun holding onto his arm. “Just do it!” Jonghyun snapped.

She cleared making the two guys turn their heads. “Hi Jinhee.” Jonghyun smiled as if everything was totally normal. “Hi.” Jonghyun turned back to Key and muttered something. Key muttered something back. “Jinhee could you wait inside for a while?”

“Um, sure?” She walked back in and fixed her hair in front of the large mirror. Key walked in reluctantly with Jonghyun following behind. He stood in front of her. “Jinhee, I’m sorry for spreading the story about your fail date. Even though I didn’t do it on purpose.” He stressed the last sentence looking at Jonghyun.

“It’s okay Key, I forgive you.” Jinhee said with a smile. “Really? That was easier than I thought.” He muttered to himself. “See I told you she was nice.” Jonghyun said over Key’s shoulder. “Of course she’s nice. Which girl in right mind would want to be friends with you? Jinhee must be the nicest girl in the whole school!” Key snapped back.

Jinhee giggled. “Hehe I like you, you’re funny.” Key smirked at Jonghyun. “She likes me already.” Jonghyun pouted. “What? You like me more right Jinhee?”

Jinhee laughed at them. “Anyway Jinhee, I already did apologise to you.” Jonghyun raised an eyebrow. “You did?”

“I texted you that day.” It took a moment for Jinhee to realise what he was talking about. “Oh! So that was you. Key-ssi, how would I know that was your number? Plus I replied you, and you didn’t reply back!” Key rolled his eyes. “The point is, I apologised. Hmm so yeah I have to go now I’m a busy guy. See you.”

Before making his way out the door Key turned to Jonghyun and pointed a finger at him. “Yeobo, don’t forget to call me tonight! Arasso?” Jonghyun made a face. “Arasso.” Key folded his arms. “Arasso what?”

“Arasso I’ll call you tonight yeobo!” Jonghyun said. The satisfied Kibum then skipped out of the room.

Jonghyun turned to Jinhee only to find her staring at him weirdly. “Yeobo? Are you two … “ Jonghyun’s eyes widened. “No! We’re just close okay?” Jinhee nodded. “Sure.”

Jinhee went back to fixing her hair in the mirror. She had it in a messy bun with her fringe down. She was wearing leggings with a tight long sleeved, long shirt that went down all the way covering her bum. It fit perfectly on her body showing off her curves.

Jonghyun couldn’t help but to stare. His eyes travelled up and down her figure. Jinhee could feel his eyes on her and from the reflection she could see him checking her out. She started blushing. She turned and walked towards the side and sat down on the bench next to her bag. Noticing how red her face was, Jonghyun realised she had seen him looking. He cleared his throat and started fixing his own hair in the mirror.

Taemin’s notebook was right next to Jinhee and out of curiosity she started flipping the pages. They were filled with notes, deadlines, some anime drawings and ….

“Luna? Huh? Why did Taemin have Luna’s name written in his notebook?” She thought. There was a whole page of Luna’s name scribbled all over with hearts. It was pretty obvious but Jinhee’s mind just couldn’t process it at that moment.

“Taemin … Luna … oh … Onew … wow …” she muttered to herself. “What’s that?” Jonghyun made his way over to her. Jinhee shut the book and stuffed it into her bag. Jonghyun scrunched his eyebrows together. “Nothing. It’s nothing.” Jinhee said.

The next thing she knew, he had grabbed her bag and dug into it for the notebook. “Hey!” she yelled and ran to grab it back. Once he had the notebook, he tossed her bag back to her and started to flip through. “It’s just a normal notebook … why were you trying to hide it from me?”

“Nothing. You’re right it’s a normal notebook. Now give it!” Jonghyun held the book as high as he could (which wasn’t really that high) and dodged every move she made to get the book. She got tired and eventually sat down on the floor. Jonghyun laughed and flipped through the pages once again. This time, getting to the page with Luna’s name scribbled all over. Judging by his face she could tell he had seen it. He sat down on the floor next to her.

“Jinhee … why didn’t you tell me?” He asked softly. “I didn’t know! I just found out about it.” She let out a sigh. “Oh … well I guess there’s nothing wrong with you having a crush on your friend…” She turned to him wide-eyed. “WHAT? Huh?”

“Well you have her name scribbled in your notebook so-“ He was cut off by Jinhee’s laughter. This was the first time he had seen her laugh so hard. “Pabo! This isn’t my notebook!” Jonghyun’s confused face turned into a blank one before he realised and said, “Oh. Well then it must be Taemin’s.”

“How did you know?!” She looked at him. “Maybe because Taemin actually does have a crush on Luna so it just makes sense that this is his.” Jinhee blinked a few times. “You knew?”

“Yeah. You didn’t?” Jinhee shook her head. “That’s okay. I found out cause he subconsciously talks about her a lot while playing basketball. Figured he did because why would anyone talk so much about a girl.”

“Oh. So that’s what you meant while we were talking at the staircase before.” Jinhee replied. Jonghyun smiled at her and got up. “Are you upset that he didn’t tell you?” He asked. “No. But … I feel weird now that I know his secret which I’m not supposed to know about.”

“He’s coming later right? Tell him you know.” Jinhee looked up at Jonghyun and pouted. “I can’t. I’m scared.”

“Hey Jinhee sorry I’m a bit late!” Taemin rushed in. “Oh Jonghyun hyung, hi.”

“Hey Taemin.” Jonghyun smiled at him and then looked back at Jinhee. “Fighting!” he whispered to her. “I gotta go guys. Have fun practising!” And he walked out.

Taemin went to sit on the bench at the side. “Ugh Jinhee have you seen my-“ Jinhee placed the notebook in front of him. “Your notebook? You dropped it just now.” Taemin looked at her then took the notebook. He gulped. “Did you …” Jinhee simply looked at the ground unable to make eye contact with her best friend. By her expression Taemin knew his secret was out.

 

__________

 

“How long have you liked her?” Jinhee asked carefully. They were at Starbucks after ending practice. Of course Luna wasn’t doing her shift that day so they decided it was safe and less awkward.

Taemin seemed almost shy to answer. “Since a long time ago. When we were kids? I don’t think she remembers. But we went to the same kindergarten.” Jinhee smiled. “That’s so cute Taemin.”

“Shut up. It’s embrassing enough as it is.” Taemin said. “Jinhee, sorry I kept it from you. I thought it would make our friendship awkward if you knew.”

“Why are you apologising Taemin? It’s okay! And I should be the one to apologise. I’m your best friend and I didn’t even realise it! No wonder you get moody when she talks about Onew. Damn I thought you had a fight with Onew or something.” Jinhee let out.

“I guess I hide it pretty well.” Taemin smiled. “Very well.” Jinhee added and they both laughed.

Interrupting their talk, Jonghyun came and sat with them. “Hi!” He said cheerfully. Neither of them bothered to reply him. “Wae? …” Jonghyun asked. “You’re so rude oppa. We were talking.” Jinhee said.

“But we’re friends! I can join in right? So what are we talking about? Luna?” Jonghyun asked happily. Taemin’s eyes widened and he looked at Jinhee. “You told him?!”

Jinhee shook her head. “No! I swear I didn’t. He knew … even before me.” she explained. “You did?” Taemin asked him. “Yup!” Jonghyun gave a smug look. “Because I’m smart!”

“Yeah smart enough to even think that the notebook was mine and that I was the one that had a crush on Luna.” Jinhee snapped. “What? Hahahahaha! Hyung you are such a loser!” Taemin laughed at him. “Yah, honest mistake, don’t laugh at me.” Jonghyun said bluntly.

“Pabo.” Jinhee muttered. “What?” Jonghyun grabbed the back of her neck which made her jump a bit as it tickled. “Hehe it tickles oppa, stop!” She managed to let out while giggling. He let go and warned her. “Don’t call me a pabo again.” She stuck out her tongue at him.

“Aw you two are so cute!” Taemin teased. It made Jinhee blush a little. “So, Taemin, how do you feel having Onew as a love rival?” Jonghyun pretended to interview Taemin. He simply glared at Jonghyun. “Okay I guess not so good.” Jonghyun muttered.

“Jinhee! We should help Taemin get with Luna!” Jonghyun suggested. “What?” Taemin almost choked on his drink. “Hmm … not a bad idea …” Jinhee was considering it.

“No way. No. This won’t work.” Taemin shook his head. “Taemin, do you like her or not?” Jonghyn asked seriously. This was probably the only time he had seen Jonghyun so serious. “Yes.” He replied.

“Then let us help you. Do you want to lose her to Onew? Hmm?” Jonghyun asked again.

“We want to help you Taemin.” Jinhee smiled and placed her hand on Taemin’s hand. Taemin smiled back. Jonghyun looked at their hands and placed his hand on top of Jinhee’s slightly squeezing it. The sudden contact made her heart race again.

“Okay. I guess.” Taemin agreed. “Great!” Jonghyun said excitedly.

 

“Umm Jonghyun oppa? You can let go now.” Jinhee said after a while. “Oh right.” 

 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry for this overdue update! I was kinda busy T__T I hope this chapter is okay :) I ship Jongtae~ hehe random.