One Chance

Let Me Be With You

She lifted his chin and kissed his cheeks. “Thank you. Goodnight.”

He smiled. “Goodnight Jinhee.” 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

“Annyeonghaseyo. I’m Kim Jonghyun and I would like to ask your permission to continue seeing Jinhee.”

Jinhee fell on the ground laughing. Jonghyun let out a frustrated groan. “Is that funny to you? Hmm? Hmm?” He lowered down to her level and tickled her sides.

“Ahhhhhhhh it tickles!” She yelled. “Okay stop stop.” She said in between breaths as she got hold of his hands.

“I wasn’t trying to be funny you know.” Jonghyun said as he got up and sat on the side benches near the kids’ playground. She followed him. “I know. I’m sorry. But you sounded like a robot! And you don’t have to be THAT formal.”

“It has to be perfect. What if they say no?” He said looking at the kids run around.

Jinhee turned his head to face her. “They’ll say yes. I know they will.”

He smiled slightly and held her hand. “I really hope so.”

Jonghyun leaned in closer. She got the hint and moved in bringing their faces close together.

“Hehehe they’re going to kiss!”

“Shh!”

“They’re so cute, are they married?”

“Shh guys they need to concentrate!”

They heard the soft whispers and turned. A group of kids were standing in front of them and watching. Jinhee giggled.

“Oh no! They’re not going to kiss anymore. We ruined it!” One of the girls said.

“Enjoying the show kids?” Jonghyun said. Jinhee turned away from him and went up to the kids. “Hi.” She giggled.

“Hi Jinhee eonnie. Is that your boyfriend?” A little girl with two side ponytails asked. Jinhee laughed and hugged her. “No Eunkyo. He’s just my friend.” She said.

“Oh … then why were you going to kiss him?”

“Because we like each other.” Jonghyun said giving Jinhee a back hug.

“Oooooooh are you guys getting married?” One of the boys said. “Hmm, we’ll have to see about that.” Jinhee said earning a disapproving stare from Jonghyun.

“Of course we’re getting married! And all of you are invited.” Jonghyun said.

“Yay!” They all cheered and jumped around. They pulled Jinhee towards the playground and made her play with them. Eunkyo then ran back to Jonghyun. “Hello. What’s your name?” She asked.

“Kim Jonghyun. And yours?”

“I’m Eunkyo. Jinhee eonnie used to be my babysitter.” She smiled. “Do you really like her?” She asked. One of the boys joined them and sat next to Eunkyo.

“I like your Jinhee eonnie a lot! But her brother doesn’t like me and doesn’t want us to be together.” He answered. The kids gasped. “Are you talking about Wooyoung oppa?” Eunkyo asked.

“Yup. He doesn’t want Jinhee and me to see each other anymore. He’s so mean right?”

They nodded their heads. “Omo, I didn’t know Wooyoung oppa was a meanie!” Eunkyo said to the boy next to her. He nodded and agreed.

“Are you bad-mouthing my brother?” Jinhee came over and gave him a look. “No. I’m just telling them our situation.” His hands wrapped around her waist.

“Eonnie! I support the both of you! If Wooyoung oppa won’t let you get married, I will help okay?” Eunkyo said. “Sure Eunkyo. Now go play with your friends.” Eunkyo nodded and gave Jinhee a hug before running off.

“Getting married?” Jinhee asked, raising her eyebrow. “We haven’t even gotten permission to continue seeing each other.”

“I’m just predicting the future.” Jonghyun said and kissed her nose. “Confident are we? Good. Time to face my brother then. Let’s go!” He gave her a look as if asking if it was really necessary. She giggled and dragged him along.

“Jonghyun oppa fighting!” Eunkyo shouted from the top of the playground. “Hyung, do well!” Another boy shouted as well. Jonghyun turned and waved. “Gomawo!”

__________

 

“Wait.” Jonghyun stopped halfway up the stairs to Jinhee’s front door. “Hug me.” Jinhee smiled and gave him a big long hug before letting go. “Better?” She fixed the strands of his hair that were out of place. He sighed. It was these kinds of simple things that Jinhee did, like fixing his hair, which made him realise how sincere and different she was from all the other girls he had dated.

Jinhee opened her front door and looked around. “Appa? I’m home~” She said. “Ne. In here.” She heard her father’s voice coming from the living room. She turned to smile at Jonghyun before walking hand in hand towards the living room. “Ah, finally you’re here.” He put down the book he was reading and got up to hug Jonghyun. “Nice to see you again Mr Jang.” Jonghyun greeted with a 90 degrees bow. “Nice to see you too son.” He smiled and called for Wooyoung to come down.

“Yes appa, you called for— oh …” Wooyoung paused when he saw Jonghyun. “Hyung.” Jonghyun bowed. “Mm.” Was the only thing that Wooyoung could let out. He took a seat next to his father and folded his arms. Jinhee’s father gave her a nod for her to begin.

“Okay … so actually I’ve brought Jonghyun here today to talk to you guys about something.” Jinhee started. She looked at Jonghyun and then held his hand. “I’m sure both of you already know that Jonghyun and I have been seeing each other this past month and a half.”

“And … we don’t want to continue seeing each other in secret or without your permission. I’m sorry that I didn’t tell the both of you earlier. Will you give the both of us your permission?”

Wooyoung scoffed slightly which made Jonghyun slightly squeeze Jinhee’s hand. Behind the physically calm and composed Jonghyun standing in that room, was a completely uneasy one.

Mr Jang rested his elbows on his knees and intertwined his fingers. “Well for me …” He paused, slightly pouting. Jinhee bit her lip anxiously. “I have no objections.” Jinhee’s face lit up. She turned to look at Jonghyun but he was looking towards Wooyoung instead; waiting for what he has to say.

All of them turned to Wooyoung. He was sitting with his arms and legs crossed and not even looking at any of them. “Wooyoung …” His father said softly. He turned to them. “No.”

“But oppa—“ Jonghyun stopped Jinhee from saying anything else. “Hyung, may I say something?” He was intimidated by Wooyoung; the way he stared. “Go ahead.” Wooyoung said.

“Ne. Uh. I actually want to ask you to give me a chance with your sister. I—“

“Listen, I’ve been working at that garage shop fixing cars for a long time and every week, I hear you talk about girls. Different girls; every week … and the things you do with them. What makes you think I would trust you with my sister?”

“What? Really?” Jinhee looked at Jonghyun in disbelief. “No. I mean, yes but—ugh.” Jonghyun heaved out a big sigh. “Yes, what you said is true. BUT, that was before I met Jinhee. After I met her I just … I don’t even think of other girls. I’ve changed. Please give me a chance. I’ll prove to you that I’m worth her time. Please, hyung. Just one chance.” He pleaded.

Wooyoung got up from his seat and stood firmly in front of Jonghyun. Jonghyun stepped back as a reflex. It wasn’t only Wooyoung’s built that intimidated him. It was how Wooyoung was also towering over him.

“One. Chance.” He said firmly. Jonghyun winced when he spoke. The words slowly processed in his head and a smile formed. “Really?”

“Why you don’t want it?” Wooyoung said.

“No no no! Okay, one chance. I won’t disappoint you. Or Jinhee. Or you Mr Jang. Thank you!” Jonghyun turned and hugged Jinhee. Almost forgetting the presence of her brother and father, he leaned in to kiss her.

“YAH!” Wooyoung yelled.

Jonghyun got startled and hid behind Jinhee. “S-sorry. I forgot you guys were here.” Jinhee giggled.

“I’m not done yet.” Wooyoung walked towards them. Jonghyun was still taking cover behind Jinhee and his grip on her waist got tighter as Wooyoung came closer. “If you do anything, ANYTHING, to hurt my little sister, you’re dead to me. Remember, ONLY ONE CHANCE. If you waste that chance, don’t think of even taking a glance at my sister. Got it?”

“Got it.” Jonghyun whimpered.

“And no kissing in front of me.”

Jinhee giggled and hugged her brother. “Thank you so much oppa. I love you, I really do.” Wooyoung brought her face up to meet his. “If he hurts you, tell me. Okay? I got a chainsaw on standby in the basement.”

“Ch-chainsaw?” Jonghyun stuttered and wiped the sweat off his face.

“Oppa … you’re scaring him.” Jinhee hit his chest. “That’s the point.” Wooyoung smiled at Jinhee.

Mr Jang laughed and got up. “Well I’m happy that everyone’s happy now. No more of this fighting nonsense or whatever.”

“I’m happy too.” Jinhee said. “So Jinhee, is your boyfriend staying for dinner?” Her father asked.

“Oh, I’m not her boyfriend yet. She’s not ready.” Jonghyun said.

“Oh how sweet of you to wait for her Jonghyun.” Mr Jang said. “See, I told you he’s a nice guy.” He said looking at Wooyoung.

“Mmhmm we’ll see about that … Appa, let me bring you out for dinner tonight. You two can go get your own dinner.” Wooyoung said.

“Okay! I’ll see you guys later at night, bye!” Jinhee said skipping to the door. Jonghyun bowed to the two older guys. “Thank you hyung, Mr Jang. I’ll take care of Jinhee.”

“Yeah you better.” Wooyoung said.

Jonghyun ran off and joined Jinhee. As soon as they were out, Jonghyun embraced her again and spun her around. Jinhee giggled as he let her down. “I told you it’ll work.” She cupped his face. “I know I just … wow I can’t believe your brother said yes!”

“And I can’t believe you, a different girl every week AND the stuff you do with them. I can’t even—“

Jonghyun gave her a peck. “There’s only you in my life now.” He said with their foreheads together. She smiled and wrapped her arms around his neck.

“Now I just need us to be official.” He said. “Hmm. We’ll see.” Jinhee said and walked away.

“Wae?! We have permission to date and NOW you’re hesitating?” Jonghyun yelled.

“Well I like you. I’m just not sure I want you to be my boyfriend.” She giggled and walked ahead.

“Oh I see, you’re teasing me. Right?” He followed her behind. ”Right Jinhee? … Jinhee, was Wooyoung hyung serious about the chainsaw?”

 

__________

 

“HE SAID YES?!” Luna and Taemin said simultaneously.

“Yes!”

“Yes?”

“Yes, yes, he said yes, sheesh guys …” Jinhee said, taking a bit of her sandwich. “Sorry but that’s so … unbelievable.” Luna said staring at her in doubt.

“I know. He said no at first but Jonghyun managed to—“

“Hi baby!” Jinhee was cut off by Jonghyun and his friends joining them. “What are you guys doing?” She asked.

“Joining my girlfriend for lunch.” He kissed her cheek, earning a set of oohs from everyone. Jinhee blushed and shoved him. “Don’t do that here ...” she muttered softly to him. “And I’m not your girlfriend.”

“Hope you guys don’t mind us joining.” Key said, taking a seat next to Taemin. Onew sat next to Jinhee while Minho sighed, taking his seat next to Luna.

Mentally thanking Onew for occupying the empty seat next to her before Minho could, Jinhee smiled at him. He returned it with a wink as if he could read her mind. She then turned to Minho whom was already looking at her. They exchanged awkward glances.

“So are you guys officially together now?” Key asked.

“No.” Jinhee said but was contradicted with Jonghyun answering “Yes.” at the same time.

“So is that a yes or a no?” Minho asked.

Jinhee placed her hand over Jonghyun’s mouth before he could speak. “No.” A small smirk escaped from Minho. Jinhee turned to Jonghyun and saw the disappointment in his eyes.

“Fine. Not yet at least.” She said and felt his lips curve into a smile on her palm.

Minho scoffed and took a bite of his food.

Jonghyun took out the lunch he bought. “Jinhee, taste this. It’s best bibimbap ever.” He fed her a spoonful.

“Ah … I’m so jealous.” Luna said softly. “Me too.” Minho agreed staring at the two. Luna turned to Minho and gave him an apologetic look, patting him on the back before resuming her lunch.

“Yah Taemin, hear that? She’s jealous, feed her something too!” Key whispered to Taemin. “What? That’d be too awkward.”

“Aww, too shy?” Key teased.

“Shut up, hyung. I’ll go on my own pace okay? Besides, I already have something planned.” Key rolled his eyes. “Oh please. At the rate you’re going, I’ll be dead by the time you ask her out on a date.”

Taemin pouted and stole a piece of meat from Key’s dish. “Yah …. Eat your own!” Key said, slapping Taemin’s hand. He giggled and went back to his own food.

“Oh Taemin ... You have something on your face.” Luna took a napkin and wiped off a side of Taemins’ mouth. Taken aback by her actions, he blushed and stuttered. “O-oh. Th-thanks Luna.”

Jinhee and Jonghyun looked at each other with smirks on their faces. “Looks like we’re not the only ones getting somewhere.” Jonghyun whispered to her. She giggled and nodded.

Still flushed, Taemin fanned himself with his free hand and leaned in towards Key. “She touched meeeeee.”

 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Yayyy Jinhee and Jonghyun, approved! :D But don't worry, more drama to come mwehehe :P (sorry this chapter is wordy!)