You Lost Me.

Let Me Be With You

 

 

The air was still. And no one moved a muscle. 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

Silence. It bounced off the walls and pierced straight through Jinhee's heart and if you listened close enough, you might just hear the sound of her heart breaking into pieces.

Key watched from behind Jinhee, dumbfounded at the nerve of his best friend to do such a heartless act.

"Please tell me this isn't happening," Jinhee whispered to herself as tears started rolling down her cheeks.

"No no no, please don't cry." Jonghyun scattered to his feet and hurried over to wipe her tears away only to be shoved away.

"Don't touch me!" She yelled.

"Jinhee..." He said softly. His eyes too started to brim with tears of guilt and frustration with himself.

"Why?" She asked.

He looked to the ground and cracked his brain for the right words to be said. He had been foolish and he knew that. His conscience was silently mocking him for doing what he knew was wrong. He cheated on Jinhee.

"You." Jinhee hissed. When Jonghyun looked up, her gaze was no longer on him but the girl behind him. "You did this," She moved past Jonghyun and closer towards Jieun.

"Me?" Jieun asked ignorantly. "What did I do?"

"You planned all this didn't you?" Key stepped forward with his arms folded. "You wanted Jonghyun for yourself."

"Look, you brought this upon yourself." Jieun remarked. She moved closer to Jinhee and whispered into her ear. "Besides, haven't I warned you before? I told you Jonghyun couldn't be trusted."

"You !" Jinhee screamed and at that moment the palm of her hand hit Jieun's left cheek. Hard. "You led him on didn't you?"

"Please," Jieun scoffed. She cupped her left cheek which was stinging from the slap. "I just gave him what he wanted. What you wouldn't do."

"You're lying!" Jinhee sobbed. "You forced him into this!"

"Did I?" Jieun asked mockingly.

Jinhee growled in frustration and lunged forward attacking Jieun to the ground. They ended up in a tangled mess; Jinhee pulled on Jieun’s hair not even giving a second thought on sparing her while Jieun tried her best to push Jinhee’s weight of her.

Jonghyun grabbed Jinhee by the waist and carried her off Jieun while Key held Jieun back from attacking Jinhee who was trashing around in Jonghyun’s arms wanting to be let go.

“Let go of me!” She yelled and let out a huff, straightening out her uniform as Jonghyun finally let go of her.

With every step Jonghyun took towards her, Jinhee would take a step back. He looked at her apologetically but she refused to give in. “Can I please explain myself?” He asked quietly. She couldn’t look at him, not unless she wanted to bawl her eyes out right there and then. “Jinhee please,” He took her by the shoulders and made her face him. “I love you.”

Her eyes started to fill with tears once again and image of him and Jieun from before appeared in her head. “Then why?” She sobbed. “Why would you do this to me?”

Jonghyun hung his head low. That was all it took for Jinhee to start crying again. She tugged herself out of his grip and backed away slowly before turning around and running off.

“Stupid.” Key muttered. “I told you to stay away.”

Jieun who was standing next to Key ran towards Jonghyun and tried to comfort him, but he pushed her away. “This is all your fault. I should never have believed you…” He said. Even if he knew it was just a little too late to realise it.

He turned to look at Key. “I’m so sorry,” He said before running off to chase after Jinhee.

__________

 

He checked every room, even the bathrooms to find her. Her phone was off and he had no idea where she went to but he was determined to find her anyway.

When he passed by the cafeteria, he met with the rest of the clique and by the looks he was getting, he figured Key must have already told them the news. Key stood at the front of the table with his head turned towards Jonghyun, eyeing him as he slowed down upon reaching them.

"I don't know where she went to," He panted.

There was a moment of silence after he spoke. Until Luna voiced out. "You're not welcome here." She said. She was serious and her face said it all.

Jonghyun was about to retaliate, but he stopped himself thinking that it would only make matters worse. What he cared about right now was Jinhee and only Jinhee. He didn't care what they all thought of him. It didn't matter. Only Jinhee mattered.

When he looked to the last seat next to Taemin, he noticed a familiar backpack. One which he had seen and carried many times before.

"She left her bag here," He breathed.

The rest followed his gaze and turned their heads towards the backpack sitting next to Taemin. Jonghyun started for the bag but was stopped by Minho who stretched his arm out in front of Jonghyun. "What do you think you're doing?"

"To get her bag?" He replied casually. "Then I'm gonna continue looking for her."

"I don't think you have the right to do so now," Minho stood from his chair and faced Jonghyun who wasn't at all fazed by the younger boy's confidence. "Remember what you said before? If you mess things up the second round, which I already knew you would, then you'd back off and leave Jinhee alone."

Aeri and Taemin who were there at the time the promise was made looked at each other in despair. There was nothing much they could do to help since whatever Minho said was the truth.

"And I don't think you have the right to tell me what to do." Jonghyun growled. "She's still my girlfriend. The only person who can tell me to stay away from Jinhee, is Jinhee herself."

Aeri tugged on Minho's arm and urged him to sit back down but of course his stubbornness won't let him give in.

Sighing, Taemin then got up from his seat and took Jinhee's bag with him. Everyone watched in silence as he walked up to the two boys and stood in the middle. "Here," Taemin handed the bag to Jonghyun who looked at him in surprise. "Standing here fighting won't solve anything." He said. "Go. Find Jinhee."

Jonghyun hugged Taemin almost immediately. "Thank you," He whispered. "I'll keep you updated."

"You better!" He smiled and patted Jonghyun on the before he turned and made his way out.

"Why did you do that?" Minho asked, agitated by the youngest's actions.

"What?" He replied. "I think we all know Jinhee still loves him. It's better if they work this out between themselves."

"He's right," Onew said. "I mean, technically they haven't officially broken up."

"I hate Jonghyun..." Luna hissed. "But it would if they break up. But I'd be surprised if they don't." She stared in to space for a moment before turning her attention to Taemin who sat back in his place next to her. "If you ever cheat on me like this I will cut off your--"

"Luna!" Aeri clicked her tongue. "Violence doesn't solve anything." She sighed and rested her chin on her palm. "I hope Jinhee's okay."

"Way to ruin the summer Jonghyun..." Key muttered to himself.

Everyone else fell quiet as well. They didn't know what they were waiting for but none of them got up and just like that it seemed like their summer plans were going to waste.

 

__________

 

Jonghyun wiped the sweat tickling down the side of his face. He had arrived at the park in town or their "couple spot" as Jinhee would call it. But she wasn't there. There were more people here than usual and he had to squeeze through those standing around watching and cheering for the performers just to get to his car at the entrance.

He breathed out a sigh of relief as soon as he got into the driver's seat and rested in his position for a while, enjoying the cool air. He had searched her house, the Starbucks cafe, her favourite ice-cream shop and even the beach. There was only one other place he hadn't been to; the park near her house.

Although he was tired, physically and mentally, he geared the car into drive and went back to the main road, going in the opposite direction of when he arrived. The sky was still bright which gave him some sort of relief that she was okay. He just had to find her before sun sets.

When he arrived at the park twenty minutes later, his heart started pounding and he took it as a sign that Jinhee was in fact here.

He slung her backpack over his shoulder and entered the park. Filled with children, he tried his best to filter out all the other people there who were mainly parents, and focused on finding a girl in dance clothes.

He stopped in his tracks when he noticed someone sitting on a swing all by herself, paying no attention to everything else. He finally found her.

Shoving past the kids and their parents, he jogged over to her at the empty swing set and breathed out a sigh of relief. "I've been looking for you everywhere," He said.

His heart fell when she turned and he saw the state she was in. Her eyes were slightly swollen and ever her cute little nose was red from all the crying.

"Hey," Jinhee said quietly. He could barely hear her over the children's screams.

"You left your bag in school," Jonghyun said  He handed her the bag and knelt on his two knees right in front of her while she remained seated on the swing.

She nodded. "Thanks."

He watched as she searched for something in her bag and took it out. Tissues. He thought that she was about to wipe her tears with them but instead, she wiped his forehead and the sides of his face which was slightly sweaty.

He immediately hugged her, wrapping his arms around her waist. "I'm so sorry Jinhee. I'm so sorry," He sniffed. "I didn't mean to do it I swear! I love you."

"I love you too," She replied. Her eyes were starting to water once again. "But you know--"

"No, no buts." He lifted his head and shook it. "We love each other and that's that."

She smiled weakly and avoided his eyes. "I've just been thinking," She paused. "It seems like every time we get back together, something else comes up and ruin it. Can't help but to think that maybe, just maybe, we aren't mean to be together."

"How could you say that?" He gasped. "No, that's not it at all. J-Just let me explain okay, she influenced me and I don't know it all just made sense but okay wait I know it sounds bad that I actually believed her but--"

"Stop, it's okay." Jinhee placed a finger to his lips. "I get it."

"You do?"

"It's about the right?" Jinhee whispered. "You wanted it but I wouldn't give in. That's why you went to Jieun, right? I mean that's how you were before weren't you...Just using girls for ."

"I've stopped living that kind of life a long time ago," He defended. "When I met you."

"Then before when I walked in on you and Jieun, I knew you weren't sleeping with her, but you were about to weren't you?" Her voice cracked as tears threatened to fall at the thought of it.

Jonghyun shook his head. "She came on to me!"

"And did you stop her?"

He shamefully lowered his head and shook it slowly. "No," He whispered. "She influenced me. Saying that you didn't trust me enough."

"I thought that we've already talked this over?" Jinhee said. "I told you, I trust you. I think the problem here is that you don't trust me."

"But Jieun—"

"I know. She corrupted your mind." Jonghyun rested his head on Jinhee's lap. "Like I said, there's always something trying to separate us isn't there?"

He had no response and simply laid on her lap in silence. They remained in that position for a while, until Jinhee couldn’t take it anymore. She took a deep breath and Jonghyun’s hair while her head rested against the metal of the swing. “Let’s break up.”

Jonghyun shut his eyes and pretended not to hear that.

“Jonghyun?” She asked. Her hands started to lift his head from her lap. “I think it’s for the best.”

“No,” He mumbled and took her hands in his. “You’re the best for me.”

“Please don’t make it harder than it already is,” Jinhee sobbed with tears rolling down her face. “You can leave me, and be with Jieun—“

“This is not about Jieun!” Jonghyun snapped. He was frustrated with himself and even more with Jieun, enough to make him angry at the mention of her name.

“Yes it is!” Jinhee cried. “I wouldn’t have seen what I saw if it isn’t about her. And I also wouldn’t have seen it if you loved me and trusted me enough.”

Jonghyun shook his head slowly. “So now you’re saying this is all my fault? That I want to be with Jieun instead of you? That I don’t love you?”

“I think I got my answer when you said you didn’t even resist when she came on to you.” Jinhee said.

Jonghyun breathed out slowly, attempting to calm himself down. He was frustrated and although he wasn’t angry with Jinhee, he was slowly losing his temper in front of her.

“I don’t love her and you know it,” Jonghyun said sternly.

“Do I?”

He huffed and clenched his jaw angrily. He looked up to the sky and took a deep breath and released it. “I don’t want to fight with you. Not now.”

“It’s okay,” She nodded with a bitter smile. “You can leave if you want to. I don’t think I’m changing my mind. We’re breaking up.”

He once again rested his head on Jinhee’s lap and stayed a while longer, relishing the feeling. She was reluctant as well and ran her hand through his hair. “I’m sorry, I’ve hurt you.” Jonghyun said. “I made a promise to Minho and your brother that I wouldn’t. I also said that if I did, I would back off.”

Jinhee listened as he spoke.

“Since I’ve broken my promise, I’ll do as you wish.” He lifted his head off her and started to get up. “If breaking up is what you want, then I guess I have no choice. But please, don’t think that I don’t love you. I do. A lot.”

He stood up from his position and brushed off the dirt from his pants. Jinhee watched him with a heavy heart. Everything he had just said only made her love him more. She got up as well and put her backpack on ready to leave.

“Shall I send you home?” He asked sincerely. His eyes were empty, as if his soul wasn’t present.

Jinhee refused and looked away. “It’s fine. I can manage by myself.”

Jonghyun looked at her surprised. She wouldn’t even let me send her home. He thought. He nodded anyway and turned to leave. But before he took another step, he turned back around and walked up to her.

She looked up at him confused and was about to speak when he leaned down and quickly placed a light kiss on her lips. He pulled away just as quick and turned back into the opposite direction, making his way to his car.

__________

 

 

Her steps were slow and heavy as she made her way up the steps of her front porch. She turned and felt empty, not having a black car parked in front of her house with a boy she loved sitting in the driver’s seat waiting for her to enter her house before driving off.

She sighed and entered, making her way straight for her couch where both her father and brother were seated at watching a soccer match. Without even hesitating, she squeezed in between the both of them making them scoot to the side.

“You’re home early,” Wooyoung said, tucking her hair behind her ear. “Thought you’d be out with your friends or your boyfriend.”

She sat there quietly, hugging her bag.

Wooyoung raised an eyebrow and watched his sister stare into space. “Hey,” He tapped her shoulder.

Jinhee took a breath and sighed. “We broke up.”

Wooyoung and their dad looked at each other surprised. Mr Jang then pulled her onto his lap where she started to cry again.

“Should I get the chainsaw?” Wooyoung asked, making her cry even louder.

 

__________

 

Jonghyun: It’s over, Taemin. I screwed up.

Taemin sighed in disappointment. Everyone else seemed to have understood why. “They broke up,” Taemin said.

“Knew they would.” Luna said. “Both of them are probably crying right now.”

“Bet Jonghyun’s crying even more than she is.” Key muttered.

“We should do something,” Aeri said. “Are you guys really okay with them breaking up?”

Everyone looked around the table at each other. “Not me,” Taemin said. “But I don’t think there’s much we can do.”

“Unless it’s to help them get back on their feet,” Onew said which the others agreed to.

Even if it was just for a few hours, they already felt different not having Jinhee and Jonghyun around. Once the sun set, they bid each other goodbye and left for home, leaving their summer plans behind for now.

“We should do something,” Aeri said to Minho.

He kept his attention on the road as he drove to her house. “Like what?”

“I don’t know,” She said. “I could think of some things but would you help me?”

Minho glanced at her from time to time and pondered over it.

“Please Minho?” She whined and pulled on his arm even if he was driving. “I know you know that it’s the right thing to do.”

He was silent throughout the drive and soon they reached her house where he pulled into the driveway. Only then did he turn to face her fully. “Fine. I’ll help.”

“Really?” She squealed and pulled him into a hug. “Thank you!”

“Whatever,” He said. “Now get out of my car.”

__________

 

Back at home, Jonghyun was tossing and turning in his bed. Jinhee was all he could think about. He even followed Jinhee home in his car, driving as far away as possible from her view just to make sure she made home safe.

He wanted to cry but the tears wouldn’t come out.

The sudden sound of his ringtone made him jump. “Jinhee!” He whispered to himself before reaching out to his phone. But it wasn’t her.

In fact, it was the last person he wanted to talk to. Jieun.

With a frustrated growl, he threw his phone across the room, breaking it.

“I’m such a fool.”

 

 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wow I actually updated on time! It's still Sunday! And yeah, I'm so ready for the angry comments 3 I really got scared ready some of them lol ya'll sounded reallllly angry >_< Why so serious guys? hehe ^___^

This is not long at all lmfao I swear it looked longer on my phone and on word T__T