Chance

Let Me Be With You

Jinhee lay down on her side, lying her plushie down next to her and facing her.

“Sigh … Jjongie, can you keep a secret? I think I’ve fallen for him.”

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

“GOOOOOOOOOD MORNING JINHEE~!”

I glanced at the clock on my side table. It’s only 8:30am!

“JINHEE! WAAAAAAAKE UPPPPP!”

Who is screaming at this timing? It’s too early for a Saturday morning! I felt something on top of me. I opened my eyes and squint from the light coming from the windows. The curtains were open.

“mmm … Luna …?”

“Yes! Now wake up! You need to tell me what happened last night.” She started bouncing on top of me. I my side and hugged my dino.

“Yah why are you smiling while hugging that stupid dinosaur?!”

“It’s not stupid! And nothing happened last night okay now shhh!” I pulled the sheets making her lose her balance an fall of the edge of my bed. I laughed.

“Not funny Jinhee … ah my hurts.” She climbed back up and lied down next to me, facing me.

“How’d you get in anyway?”

“I climbed up your window. Hehe.”

There has always been a ladder next to my window. We put it there because it was much more fun to sneak in instead of being normal and ringing the doorbell.

“So what happened? Tell me.” He voice and tone got softer. “Umm … we just talked …”

“And …?”

“GOOD MORNING GIRLS!” Taemin jumped in from the window and onto my bed. It wasn’t big so he lied down on top of our legs with his hanging off.

“YAH!” Both Luna and I yelled. “Okay, continue talking.” He said.

Luna turned back to me. “And? AND??”

“And … we almost kissed.” Her eyes widened and she started squealing and spazzing.

“Really? Hyung was going to kiss you?”

I nodded. “But then you texted me and yeah …”

“Oh .. bad timing. Sorry.”

“Haha it’s okay Taemin.”

“So … still confused?” He asked me. Hmm. I don’t think so.

“Nope.” They sat up from their positions and looked at me. “No …?” Luna asked.

“No. I think I like him. I think I like Jonghyun oppa.”

“You don’t say?” Taemin teased me and messed up my already messy hair. Both of them started jumping on my bed.

“Yay! Jinhee’s finally come to her senses!”

“Yay~ yay~ yay~”

Then they looked at each other and started singing together. “Jinhee and Jonghyun sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-“

“Shhhh! Wooyoung oppa will hear you guys!”

 I don’t want oppa to know how I feel about Jonghyun. Well at least not now. He’ll probably lock me up in my room all summer if he found out.

There was a knock on my door and my appa came in. “Hey hey what’s going on in here? Oh haha, I see we have a full house.” He laughed and smiled at Taemin and Luna.

“Good morning Mr. Jang!” Taemin greeted him.

“Good morning! It’s been a while since I saw the both of you. I’ll go make breakfast for all of us, come down when you’re ready.” He said and left the room.

“Text him! Now.” Luna took my phone from the table and jumped back onto my bed, next to me. “No it’s too weird.” I pushed the phone back to her.

“It’d be weirder if you DON’T text him. He’ll think that you don’t care about whatever happened last night and that he means absolutely nothing to you and then—“

“Okay okay gosh Luna …” She shrugged her shoulders as I took my phone from her. Both of them giggled when I started typing. They always get so excited when it comes to things like these.

Me: Good morning~ ^^

Okay sent oh my god I’m excited for no reason. “Relax Jinhee …” Taemin said. Guess it was obvious heh.

He replied!

Jonghyun oppa: Jinhee-ah … you woke me up too early on a Saturday for it to be ‘good’ ~.~

Oh no I woke him up. “He hates me now.” Luna gave me a look. “Jinhee, please.”

Me: I’m sorry ): Go back to sleep, heh.

Jonghyun oppa: Aniyo! Don’t be sorry~ I was just kidding! Why are you up so early?! Couldn’t sleep thinking about me? ㅋㅋㅋㅋ

“Eugh that’s so cheesy!” Taemin said, looking over my shoulder. “Hey! Who gave you permission to read?!”

 

__________

 

NORMAL POV

Jinhee and Jonghyun texted for the whole day on both Saturday and Sunday. On Monday, Jinhee was more excited than ever to go to school. Jonghyun had promised to pick her up.

She skipped out of the house and waited by the pathway. Her face lit up when she heard a familiar car engine roaring.

Jonghyun’s car came to a halt in front of her. He got out and gave a hug.

“Hi.”

“Hi.”

She was a step away from getting into his car when another car came to a stop behind. To their surprise, it was Minho. “Good morning.”

“Minho? You have a car?” Jonghyun looked towards his ride and then back at Minho.

“Yeah. It’s new. I just got my driving license. Jinhee, you want a ride to school?”

Jonghyun scoffed. “Are you blind? Can’t you see that I’m taking her to school?” Jinhee tugged Jonghyun’s sleeve and told him to calm down.

“Sorry Minho oppa, but I’ve already made plans to get a ride from Jonghyun oppa.” She smiled at him. “I don’t think your brother will like that.” He replied.

“I don’t think he’ll mind because—“ 

“Go with Minho.” Wooyoung suddenly stepped in. Jinhee turned to her brother and gave him a dirty look. “I don’t want to.”

“Minho’s car is much better. Look, it’s new, clean. Not like his car. It’s old and just think about how many s have sat in that same seat.”

Jinhee was shocked at what her brother just said. She stood there not knowing what to respond. She turned to Jonghyun whose head was hung low and was obviously upset.

“Aniyo. I’ll go with him. Sorry Minho oppa.”

She was about to get into the car when Jonghyun stopped her. “It’s okay Jinhee. Go with Minho.” He gave her a sad smile. “But—“

“It’s fine. I’ll see you in school, okay?”

“See. Even he knows what’s good for you.” Wooyoung added. “Just shut it.” Jinhee said to him before opening the door to Minho’s car herself and getting in.

Minho and Jinhee drove off as Jonghyun watched from where he was standing.

“Just give it up. Minho’s good for her. You know that.” He turned to Wooyoung. He wanted to say something but figured it’s best if he kept silent. He got into his car and drove to school.

 

JINHEE’S POV

“How was your weekend Jinhee?” Minho broke the silence.

I sighed. “It was fine …”

“I shouldn’t have come to pick you up. I’m sorry …” I guess he feels guilty. But now I feel guilty because he apologized.

“No it’s just … I’m sorry Minho oppa. I was rude. Sorry …”

We were silent after that. It was awkward.

“I still do like you Jinhee. I like you a lot.” He said out of the blue.

I don’t know how to respond. I know he likes me. He already told me that. And I said that I needed some time to think about it. But now that I’ve kinda fallen for Jonghyun oppa … I don’t know what I’m supposed to say to him.

“If you could just give me a chance …” He paused. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to start this topic.”

I was quiet throughout the rest of the ride. The only thing I said next was to thank him for driving me to school.

 

__________

 

LUNA’S POV

“Hey, you okay?” I asked Jinhee during English. She’s been gloomy the whole day. There has to be something wrong.

“No. I hate my brother. I hate my brother. I hate him. I hate him!” She said while punching the page in her notebook that had her brother’s face drawn. I turned to Taemin and he shrugged.

“What did he do now?” Taemin asked. “He made me go to school with Minho when I was supposed to go with Jonghyun today. And then he insulted Jonghyun. I hate Wooyoung oppa. I hate him.”

Someone’s not happy with Jonghyun getting dissed. Kekeke.

“Jinhee, chill. You can go find Jonghyun oppa later right?” I said.

“Will you guys go with me?” She pouted.

“Arasso.”

“Also … Minho asked if I could give him a chance …” She said quietly.

I guess having two guys interested in you is quite a bad thing.

“Do you want to give him a chance?” Taemin asked.

“But what about Jonghyun oppa ….” She started doodling on her notebook.

 

We accompanied Jinhee look for Jonghyun after English class. I was headed the same direction anyway.

It was a bad idea.

 

JINHEE’S POV

We walked over to the vocal department and saw Jonghyun right after climbing up the stairs to the second floor. Yup he was there alright. With a girl.

Jonghyun was leaned against the lockers and the girl was against him with his hands wrapped around her waist.

Did he forget me already?

Soon after, the girl left leaving him there alone. He still hadn’t noticed us. Okay maybe because we were hiding behind the wall. Right after that girl left, ANOTHER girl came up to him.

But he didn’t touch this girl. Seems like they’re just talking.

“Oh hey wait … that girl … “ Luna started. “That’s the new girl. That’s –“

“Jieun.”

“AHHH!” The three of us yelled. It was Onew.

“You scared us!” I said hitting his arm. “Sorry … what are you guys doing spying on them anyway?” He asked.

“We weren’t spying! We’re just OBSERVING.” Taemin said. “Ah right …”

“Hey.” Oh it’s Jonghyun. “What are you guys doing?” He looked at me and smiled. I was about to return the smile when that girl appeared from behind him.

“Hello. Are these your friends Jonghyun oppa?” She asked smiling at us and then back at Jonghyun.

She calls him oppa too?

“Oh yeah uh, that’s Taemin, you know Luna, and this is Jinhee.” He introduced us. She said hello and bowed to each of us. Well, she seems nice. I guess.

“I’m Jieun, but you can call me IU. Nice to meet you guys.” She said.

“IU?” Luna and I both said at the same time. “Yeah that’s my stage name. Hehe.”

Onew started saying something then but I wasn’t really paying attention. There was just something about this girl. She kept sneaking glances at me and even ran her eyes up and down me.

Wait I can’t forget why I came in the first place. That’s right. I need to talk to Jonghyun.

“Oppa, can I talk to you for a second?” I tugged on his shirt. He nodded and pulled me to the side, away from them.

“What is it? Are you okay?” He asked. “Yeah. I just want to apologise on behalf of my brother. What he said earlier today was unnecessary.”

He smiled at me. “It’s okay Jinhee. I understand.”

That’s great! He’s not angry! What do I say now? Should I ask him if he wants to hang out?

“So um, do you want to hang out later? I mean it’s okay if you don’t want to.” I said that almost too quickly. I was nervous.

“I’m so sorry Jinhee. Actually I already have plans.”

Oh. Awkward.

“Yeah. With me.” Jieun appeared.

Oh really? Well I didn’t ask now did I? …. Okay that was so not like me but she’s so rude!

“It’s okay. I’ll just see you around then?”

“Of course. Call me if you need anything.” He said and hugged me before I went back to the rest.

“Bye Jinhee.” Jieun said. Eugh creepy.

“What happened? Is he mad?” Luna asked. “Nope. But I asked him out and I got rejected.” I answered with a blank expression.

“…….. You don’t look sad.” Taemin said. “Well … I am.”

“Ooookay … well at least now you know how Minho hyung feels every time you ignore him.”

 “What?” Luna said.

“That was supposed to be funny.” Taemin replied.

“Well it wasn’t.”

“Fine. Don’t laugh then.”

“I’m not laughing Taemin.”

“Yeah well no one asked you to.”

What is their problem haha though I must admit it’s entertaining.

“Are they always like this?” Onew whispered to me. “Yup. Cute huh?”

“No, you’re cute.”

“What was that?” Did he just say I’m cute?

“Nothing.” I swear I heard him say it.

 

__________

 

I sat near the fountain alone waiting for Luna and Taemin. I was thinking about what Taemin said earlier. The part about how Minho feels every time I “ignore” him.

I don’t ignore him. I just don’t pay him much attention. But well, if he felt the same way I did, it must .

Now I feel bad.

Thinking about it, Jonghyun was with another girl today. He even went out with Jieun AFTER that.

I’m just a friend. And he probably only wanted to kiss me for the sake of it right? He is a playboy after all.

This . I guess this is really how Minho feels. Oh the guilt. Minho …

I clicked on his number from my contacts.

“Yeoboseyo?” His deep voice answered after a few rings.

“Hi, Minho oppa. It’s Jinhee. I was thinking … how about that chance?” 

 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

 Sorry it's kind of short! But hope you like it :)