Home

Let Me Be With You

 

 

“I’m gonna miss you!” Jonghyun cried, running over to join the girls who gladly accepted him and started bawling again.

The others rolled their eyes watching Jonghyun smirk as the girls wrapped their arms around him.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

“Last dinner together before everyone leaves…” Minhyun muttered, poking the steak on the plate in front of her with a fork.

The sun was setting, leaving the place in a shade of orange as its rays slowly drowned behind the waters. Everyone was settled in their seats having in-water dining after a day of touring the island, guided by Minhyun.

“Come on Min,” Jonghyun sighed. “Don’t sulk over this. We promise we’d visit!”

“Yeah but not often,” She mumbled, still playing with her food.

“You could always visit us.” Luna said, placing a hand on Minhyun’s shoulder.

“Guess so…”

Tonight was their last night in Hawaii and tomorrow morning, they would be making their way to the airport and back to Korea.

“Let’s make a toast!” Aeri raised her glass and urged the rest to follow her lead. “To our newest cool friend Minhyun whom we promise never to forget and to visit her as much as possible!”

“Cheers!”

The sound of their glasses clinking filled the air and Minhyun giggled, also joining in with the toast.

“Anyway,” Onew started. “This in-water dining thing is really cool. Never thought I’d have dinner in the sea,”

“My parents brought me here once, so I thought I’d bring you guys here,” Minhyun said, shrugging. “You’ll definitely remember this place and me this way.”

“We definitely won’t.” Minho said.

__________

 

“Well, this is it,” Minhyun sniffed. “Guess this is goodbye.”

She pulled the girls in for a hug and they bawled into each other, earning stares form other passengers passing by. Onew bowed to the onlookers and urged the girls to finish up their goodbyes. The boys then took turns hugging Minhyun, leaving Onew for last.

He looked at the girl in front of him and mentally winced at the sight of her face which was wet with tears. The others decided to give him some space and walked further towards the check-in counter with their luggage.

“Don’t cry,” He sighed. “It was a really nice stay here; you’ve been really nice to us. I’m glad I bumped into you that night in the club.”

Minhyun chuckled and wiped the tears off her face. “I’m glad you bumped into me too, you clumsy idiot.”

“Hey! Name calling isn’t nice,”

She laughed and wrapped her arms around him. “Don’t forget me, okay?”

“I won’t,” He whispered, resting his head on hers. “I promise.”

She sighed and released his grip on him. “Now go. They’re waiting for you,” She nodded to where the others were standing, some metres away from them. He smiled at her one last time before picking up his luggage and walking away.

“Bye guys!” Minhyun waved. “See you soon!”

One by one they waved at her before disappearing into the passageway leading to the aircraft. Lazily, Onew sighed as he walked to his seat on the plane, placing his bag onto the overhead bin above his seat.

“So did you tell her?” Jonghyun asked, appearing out of nowhere and scaring Onew.

“Nope.” Onew breathed and adjusted himself into his assigned seat, closing his eyes and ignoring Jonghyun.

“Why?”

“I have my reasons,” Onew muttered.

“Yeah right. You probably—“

“Goodbye Jonghyun.”

Jonghyun smiled subtly knowing he had done his daily job of annoying his older friend and walked off to his seat a few rows to the front. His smile faded when he realised someone was in it.

“Luna,” He chuckled faintly. “That’s my seat.”

Luna smiled sweetly and shrugged. “I want to sit next to Jinhee.” She simply said.

“Well I do too,” His frown was more apparent now and he shifted his eyes over to Jinhee. She gave him an apologetic look but did nothing else to help him. “Why don’t you sit in the middle then?” He asked as a matter of factly.

Jinhee turned to the view on her left, and back at her boyfriend. “I want the window seat.”

“It’s me or the window.” He placed his hands on his hips and awaited her answer which came in no time.

“Window.”

Before he could react, an air stewardess came over asking him to get settled into his seat as they were getting ready for take-off. He nodded in understanding and reluctantly got into the seat next to Luna.

“Good boy,” Luna giggled.

__________

 

“Come on,” Jinhee whined and tugged on Jonghyun’s sleeve. “You’re still mad about earlier on the plane?”

They had arrived in Korea an hour ago and while the rest had their parents pick them up at the airport, Jinhee got a ride home from a sulking Jonghyun. He sat alongside her in the backseat while his chauffer drove them to Jinhee’s house.

Jonghyun kept his gaze out the window. “Now you know how it feels for someone to choose a window over you.”

She burst out laughing at how immature Jonghyun was being, but found it cute. “My boyfriend is so adorable,” She pinched his nose and made him face her.

“No.” He mumbled.

She sighed and pouted. “Okay,” Her voice was soft and cute, enough to catch his attention. “What can I do to make you forgive me?”

He pondered for a bit as if he didn’t already know what he wanted. “A kiss…” She chuckled and brought her face closer capturing his lips with hers. “And maybe a date?”

“Deal.” She said. “So I’m forgiven right?”

“Yes.” He said before wrapping his arms around her and hugging her till she couldn’t breathe.

Shortly after, they arrived in front of Jinhee’s house which she was more than happy to see. It wasn’t a luxurious hotel, but it was home. Jonghyun helped to carry her luggage to the front door and kissed her goodbye.

“Sure you don’t want me to come inside?” He wiggled his eyebrows suggestively.

She laughed and pushed him away. “No, it’s fine.” She said. “My dad and brother should already be home.”

“Alright,” Jonghyun nodded and walked off. “I’ll see you for our date!”

Jinhee unlocked the front door and slowly pushed it open, scanning the area before shuffling inside with her bags. “Hello?” She squeaked.

The stairs creaked as she slowly walked up, hesitating slightly. She heard a cell phone vibrating and since it wasn’t hers, she was sure someone was here. Taking the stairs two steps at a time, she hopped off the last one and landed on her feet only to be startled by her brother who jumped out from behind the wall attempting to scare her.

“You should’ve seen your face,” He said in between laughs as he helped her up from where she fell on her bottom.

“Not funny.” She muttered. “Where’s our dad?”

“He went out for a jog,” Wooyoung replied. Jinhee’s luggage were brought into her room where Wooyoung started to tell her about their trip in Macau. Especially emphasising on how their dad seemed to have gotten his youth back.

“He cooked for a 10-person buffet!” He said, sounding as astonished as Jinhee was just hearing about it.

“Cooked? He cooked?” Jinhee asked almost unbelievably.

“I know,” Wooyoung nodded and sighed. “He lost interest in cooking after—“

“Our mum died?”

They were silent for a while before Wooyoung smiled and pushed her towards the kitchen where their father had prepared food for them.

 

__________

 

Jonghyun’s eyelids fluttered open as his sleep was interrupted by the continuous ringing of his doorbell. Groaning, he got of the bed and out the room rubbing his eyes which couldn’t even open fully, tired from the jetlag and the sleepless night before.

“Who is it?” He mumbled, leaning his head on the door.

A familiar giggle could be heard on the other side. “Me!”

The door swung open and he looked lifelessly at his girlfriend standing before him. She pushed her way in when he didn’t welcome her inside.

“Good morning!”

“It’s not morning when I haven’t woken up yet.”

Jinhee massaged his shoulders and followed him into the kitchen. “It’s already 2 in the afternoon!”

Jonghyun opened the fridge and chugged down a carton of milk, throwing it into the trash after he was done. Different kinds of food nicely packed were on the counter top and he watched as Jinhee took out more.

“Woah,” He muttered to himself.

“My dad made these,” Jinhee smiled and put the plastic bag used to carry the food away. “Go take a shower and you can eat them for lunch.”

Jonghyun nodded and gave her a chaste kiss on the lips. “Ew, go brush your teeth.” Jinhee scrunched up her face in disgust and shoved him in the direction of the bathroom.

As soon as he was done showering he went straight for the food. It was delicious and mouth-watering, and it brought back a familiar taste which he hadn’t been able to savour in a long time; home-cooked food.

After placing the clean dishes in the dishwashing-machine, he hugged Jinhee from the back stopping her from wiping his kitchen table. “I like this,” He smelled her hair. “It’s like we’re already married.”

She said nothing but smiled at his sweet talk. He lifted her up onto the counter top and looked up at her with his big round eyes. “I have something for you,”

“Oh really?” She tilted her head to one side in anticipation. “What is it?”

He took out something from the back pocket of his pants; four rectangular pieces of paper, all gold with the words 2013 Showcase printed in bold and large letters. Jinhee’s eyes widened and she grinned from ear to ear as he handed them to her.

His hands rested against her sides, “Your official invitation to my showcase,” He chuckled. “First row seats.”

“Awesome!” She chirped. “And the other tickets are for…?”

He nodded, “My family. But…nevermind.” Sighing, he buried his head into her chest and circled his arms around her as she ran her hand through his hair. “I’m so glad that I have you,” He said.

They locked gazes and Jinhee brought his face closer so that their lips could meet in a sweet kiss.

Hearing the doorbell ring once again, Jonghyun pulled away and stopped to look at Jinhee for a second before proceeding to open the door. His eyebrows scrunched together. “What are you doing here?”

“Is that any way to greet your mother?” The woman standing in front of him chuckled and pulled him in for a hug.

She paused before going in any further when her eyes landed on Jinhee standing behind the kitchen counter almost nervously. “Oh,” She smiled. “I wasn’t interrupting was I?”

“Of course not,” Jinhee said with a bow. “I just dropped by to give him something.”

“I see.” She turned to Jonghyun who was now standing next to her. “I came by to get some documents from you. We need it since we’re going to be placing you in charge of the company soon. Your birth certificate, photocopy of your ID—”

“I know, I know,” Jonghyun sighed. “Be right back.”

Mrs Kim wandered towards the kitchen and looked around, stopping to give Jinhee a small smile. “Jinhee right?” She asked. “How have you been?”

“Good,” Jinhee nodded. “And you?”

“Good.”

An air of awkwardness surrounded them both. Jinhee found herself sweating and fanned herself with the tickets which caught the eye of Mrs Kim. She breathed out a chuckle.

“He’s still going through with that?” She asked.

Confused, Jinhee followed her gaze and looked at the tickets in her hand. “Oh. Yeah, he is.”

“In fact,” Jinhee giggled. “These are for the three of you. You’re coming right?”

“I don’t know…” Mrs Kim shook her head. “I don’t see why he’s still doing this. This won’t help when he has to take over the company.”

Jinhee bit her lip almost in defeat. “Have you heard him sing before?”

The question too Mrs Kim by surprise, mentally questioning if that was an insult. “Yes, I have.” She said coldly.

“And isn’t he great at it?” Jinhee sighed happily. “Please, I know it’ll mean so much to him if his family is there watching him. You will come, won’t you?”

“It’s just a singing competition.”

“It’s much more than that to him,” Jinhee shook her head and passed the tickets to her. “Trust me. What have you got to lose by being there?”

Mrs Kim looked back and forth between the tickets in front of her and Jinhee. “Alright,” She finally said with a sigh.

“R-Really?” Jinhee looked at her unbelievably.

“What have we got to lose…” She mumbled.

Jonghyun came back with the documents placed in a file and handed them over to his mother. He sensed something was up with the weird grin Jinhee had on.

“Come home some time,” Mrs Kim said by the door. “And we can discuss business details.

“Of course…” Jonghyun said uninterested.

“Oh and Jonghyun,” She paused. Jonghyun stood wide eyed staring at the tickets in his mother’s hand. “See you at your showcase.”

“How’d you—But I thought—But—“

“You can thank your girlfriend.” She said before walking away, stopping only for a while to smile at the both of them.

Jonghyun finally understood the meaning behind Jinhee’s grin and he lifted her in the air in a hug. “You’re amazing; you know that?” He chuckled.

Jinhee prepared to leave after spending the past half an hour in the car listening to Jonghyun compliment on how amazing she is. His brows furrowed together and his lips formed a pout.

“Can’t you stay with me longer?” He whined.

“Jonghyun, I have to practice.” She giggled and poked a finger to his chest. “And so do you.”

“What about our date?”

“Tomorrow?”

“I’ll pick you up!” Jonghyun skipped and picked her up in another hug. “Take care my beautiful angel. You’re so wonderful, amazing, incredible—“

She placed a finger to his lips indicating that she got what he meant. Her hair bounced as she walked up to the front doors of the school, turning to wave once before disappearing inside.

 

__________

 

“Jinhee.”

The calm voice made Jinhee turn in her tracks. Her face was a mixture of emotions; mainly annoyed. “Hi Jieun.”

“You have practice too?” Jieun asked casually.

“Yeah,” Jinhee said. She couldn’t help but to sound icy. “Can’t expect good results when we don’t work for it, right?”

Jieun nodded almost amused. “Why are you so angry with me? I just want to be friends.”

“Really?” She asked doubtfully. “Doesn’t feel like you—“

“Well I do. Friends?” Her hand reached out to Jinhee, awaiting a handshake in response. Slowly, Jinhee responded not wanting to be impolite.

“So,” Jieun continued. “Still with Jonghyun?”

Jinhee nodded, uninterested. She knew she had just agreed to some sort of truce between them but there was something about Jieun that made her feel uneasy.

“You should be careful.” She said. “You will never know if he has another girl or—“

“See this is why we can’t be friends.” Jinhee snapped but paused trying to control her emotions. “Jonghyun is my boyfriend and I trust him, okay?”

Jieun shrugged. “I’m just saying.”

“You don’t have to say anything.”

Jieun rolled her eyes and continued walking in the direction she was headed. Her lips were curved into a tiny smile and her hands were placed into the pockets of her jacket.

“You’ll see how I’m right.”

 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Nothing much to say haha enjoy :)