Nothing Better

Let Me Be With You

 

 

Damn it.

…. I’M NOT JEALOUS.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

JINHEE’S POV

Jonghyun Oppa: What does a dog call his father?

Huh? Why is he being so random? Texting me at night. And since when is his number saved as “Jonghyun Oppa” in my phone? Hehe he must’ve used my phone while I wasn’t looking and changed it.

Me: Um … I don’t know?

Jonghyun Oppa: Paw!

Jonghyun Oppa: Get it? Get it?ㅋㅋㅋㅋ

That was so lame but I actually laughed.

Me: Haha I get it ^___^ You’re funny oppa.

Jonghyun: Aren’t I? ㅋㅋ

I was just going to reply him when he called. “Yoboseyo? Jinhee! So what are you doing?” His voice sounding so soft and calm. “Nothing. I was just replying your texts.” I lay down on my bed, resting my head on a pillow.

“Oh. Jinhee, can I ask you something?” He sounds so serious I was a bit worried. “Yeah sure. What is it?”

“You won’t stop being my friend right? I mean, you still want to be my friend right?” My heart raced. Why am I feeling this way? “Of course. Why? You sound so serious.”

“Just asking. Did it scare you? Sorry heh.”

“It’s okay oppa.”

We fell silent after that. He was probably waiting for me to say something but I didn’t know what to talk about.

Then he started to sing.

ehgeh uhn-jen-gah watt-dun, nuh-yeh uhl-gool-reul giyuk-heh
mum chwuh eetdun neh-mahm eul, meebgehdoh gojangnan neh gahseum eul …”

(Translation: It always appeared before me
Your face, I remember
My heart that stopped short
You spitefully took my disfunctional heart
And with your bright smile
That's how you easily opened my heart)


It’s like he knows I love this song. It’s Brown Eyed Soul’s Nothing Better.

“.. nuh-yeh hwa-nan misoga shweebgehdo yun-guh-ya

geureh geu-ruht-keh nehgah, nuh-yeh saram-ee dwen guh-ya
moht-natt-dun neh-choo-wuk deuree, eejen giyuk-joh-cha ahn-nah
nahreul kkokjahbeun sohn-ee bohm-chuh-reum tta-tteut-hehsuh …”

(It's true, that is how I became your man
All my unpleasant memories, I no longer recall
Because the hand that holds me tight
is as warm as spring …)

This is a side of him I’ve never seen before. I’ve seen his playboy side, his cute side but this .. this seriousness, the way he sings … I don’t know how I should describe it. His voice was like a lullaby, so soothing and relaxing. I guess I fell asleep after that because when I opened my eyes it was already morning and my alarm was going off.

 

__________

 

NORMAL POV

“Morning Jinhee~~~” Luna sang as Jinhee walked up to Taemin and her.

“Morning guys!”

“You look like you had a good sleep.” Taemin said. Jinhee raised an eyebrow. “Really? Why so?”

“Your face looks so bright and fresh. Look at how you’re smiling; I’ve never seen you so cheerful ever since … since … ok I’ve just never seen you this cheerful.”

She laughed and tilted her head to the side. “I’m always cheerful Taem.”

“Hmm this must have something to do with Jonghyun right?” Luna said. Jinhee turned to her, mouth slightly opened and then her lips curved into a slight smile. “I knew it! So what happened? Did he say anything to you?”

“Aniyo! It’s nothing to do with him.”

“Liar.” Both Taemin and Luna said simultaneously. “Oh look, here he comes now.”

A car honked and stopped next to the sidewalk. It was Jonghyun, obviously. They looked at the car, and then at each other, Luna and Taemin smirking at Jinhee. They got into the car with Jinhee sitting at the passenger seat.

She turned to Jonghyun as she got in. He was looking back at her, smiling. Not his eye smile, but a soft tender smile. It made her heart race again and she blushed, looking away.

“Omo, Jinhee is blushing, I wonder why!” Taemin said. Luna and he giggled and she added, “Yeah I wonder why!”

Jonghyun started the car and drove to school. Throughout the journey, he kept sneaking glances at Jinhee but everytime she turned to him; he focused his attention back to the road.

“There’s definitely something going on between those two.” Luna whispered but it was too soft for Taemin to hear. “What?” He replied.

“Tsk!” She hit him on the arm. “Shhh!”

“Ouch .. sorry.”

“What are you guys doing back there? No funny business in my car please.” Jonghyun said, looking at them from the rear view mirror. “Same goes to you hyung.” Taemin giggled.

They walked to class together, Jinhee and Jonghyun walking in front and Luna and Taemin behind them. “What I said, was that there’s definitely something going on between them.” Luna whispered to Taemin.

“Yeah, they’ve been acting weird today. I wonder what happened.” She turned to him, “Maybe he confessed that he liked her.” Taemin shook his head. “Doubt that. He hasn’t even realised that he does.”

“Yeah. Why is he so dumb? Can’t even see something that’s right in front of him.” She shook her head slowly from side to side.

“I could say the same for you ….” Taemin muttered to himself. “What?” she asked. “Nothing.”

Jinhee and Jonghyun just walked to class together, not talking, but each smiling to themselves.

 

__________

 

“So what’s going on between you and Jinhee hmm?” Luna asked Jonghyun in music class. “Nothing.”

“It didn’t seem like nothing.” Jonghyun faced Luna and looked straight into her eyes. “It. Was. Nothing.”

“ ………. Liar I saw your eye twitching.” He sighed and pushed her off her seat next to him. “Shouldn’t you be practicing or something? This semester’s vocal test is coming up you know.”

“I know. The school dance is coming up too. Have you decided who you’re going with?” Jonghyun looked at her as if she was crazy. “There’s still a long time before school dance. Where are your priorities woman?!”

“Sheesh okay, chill. I was just asking. You’re really taking this singing thing seriously.”

“Of course, it’s my passion. It’s what I’m good at. I have to work hard to graduate and then maybe I could get into the music industry.”

“Same here.” She sighed. “You don’t seem like you’re taking this seriously.” He looked over to her and raised an eyebrow. “Well I am. I just take breaks from being serious. A lot of breaks.” He scoffed at her reply.

“Have you chosen your song?” He asked. “Yup. Just haven’t done any practising.”

“You should probably start on it soon. This vocal test is REALLY important. Did you know that if they’re not satisfied, they may fail you and you’ll have to repeat the whole semester? It’s worth 40 percent of your overall grade you know.”

“No way! You’re lying.” Luna said, eyeing him. “It’s true!” Onew’s voiced filled the room as he entered. “Overhead your conversation, sorry.”

“Oh gosh, then I better start practising soon.” She bit her bottom lip. “So Jjong-ah, what song are you going to sing?” Onew asked.

“I think you know. One of my favourite songs.” He winked. Onew snapped his finger and pointed to Jonghyun. “Ahhh .. Nothing Better again?”

“Yup.” He nodded.

Omo, that’s one of Jinhee’s favourite songs too! How cute!  Luna thought to herself. “Can you sing it now?” Onew shook his head. “He doesn’t sing it for just anyone. Unless of course it’s for the test.”

“Why not?” Luna asked taking a seat next to him again. “I don’t know. I only sing when I’m comfortable. I can’t just sing to everyone.”

“But when you get into the music industry … you’re going to have to sing anyway.” She replied. “Yeah still working on that. But right now … my voice is not just for anyone.”

 

JINHEE’S POV

Ugh where is Luna? We’ve been waiting for 20 minutes.

Luna: In music room. Wait a while!

It has been more than a while. Guess I’ll just have to go get her. “Taemin you wait here okay? I’ll go get Luna from music class.” He nodded and sat down on the stairs.

I walked all the way to the music department. It’s always so quiet here. Where is Luna …

 

LUNA’S POV

“Annyeong! Eh … where’s Jinhee?”

“Yah, she went to your music room to go look for you.” She did? I told her to wait … She’ll find Jonghyun there instead of me hehe.

“Well okay let’s just go then.” I skipped off. “What? What about Jinhee?”

“Don’t worry, Jonghyun oppa is there. Now let’s go!”

 

NORMAL POV

Jinhee went up to find Luna at her usual music room. She could hear the piano from where she was standing. Definitely Luna! She thought.

“YAH!” she yelled but gasped when it wasn’t the person she was expecting. “Jonghyun oppa, sorry I thought …”

Jonghyun chuckled at her reaction. “So you’ve started to call me ‘YAH’ now?” Her eyes widened and she shook her head. “ANIYO I JUST … I thought you were Luna ... sorry.”

“I know, I was just kidding. Anyway Luna left a while ago.”

“She did? Oh .. okay then ..” She turned to leave when he stopped her. “Wait! Uh ..why don’t you come in?” She turned and smiled walking slowly to where he was. She stood next to the piano.

“I’m practising for my semestral vocal test.” He said to her. “Oh! I’ve heard about that from Luna. So … how’s practising going?” She took a seat next to him; her back facing the piano. “Still trying to perfect myself.”

“Do you … uh … do you …” She turned to him expectantly. “Do I what?”

 

JONGHYUN’S POV

why am I so nervous? My heart’s beating so fast.

I want to sing to her.

 

NORMAL POV

“Do you want to hear it?” He finally asked, chuckling a little. He couldn’t look her in the eyes. “Oh uh, sure. Why not?” She blushed, looking at her feet.

He started playing the piano and singing the song he sang before. His favourite song, and her favourite song.

Listen here:

Jonghyun - Nothing Better

 

ehgeh uhn-jen-gah watt-dun, nuh-yeh uhl-gool-reul giyuk-heh

mum chwuh eetdun neh-mahm eul, meebgehdoh gojangnan neh gahseum eul
nuh-yeh hwa-nan misoga shweebgehdo yun-guh-ya

geureh geu-ruht-keh nehgah, nuh-yeh saram-ee dwen guh-ya
moht-natt-dun neh-choo-wuk deuree, eejen giyuk-joh-cha ahn-nah
nahreul kkokjahbeun sohn-ee bohm-chuh-reum tta-tteut-hehsuh

eejae kkoom chureum neh mahm-eun
geudeh gyuh-teh, gah-mahn-hee mumchwuh-suh yo
han soon-gan-do kkeh-jee ah-neun "kkeut-ubbneun" kkeum-eul kkwuh yo

eejae soom chuh-reum neh-gyuhtteh
hangsang shwee myuh, geu-ruht-keh eessuh joo myun
nothing better nothing better than you
nothing better nothing better than you

eejae kkoom chuh-reum neh mahm-eun
geudeh (poom-eh) "gyuhteh" , gahmanhee (ahngyuheetjyoh) "mumchwuh-eet-jyo"
hansoon gando kkeh jee ahneun kkeuttubbneun kkoom eul kkoo jyo

eejae soomchureum neh gyuhteh
hangsang shwee myuh, geu-ruht-keh eessuhjoo-myuh
nothing better nothing better than you
nothing better nothing better than you

nothing better nothing better than you

nothing better nothing better than you
nothing better nothing better than you

nothing better nothing better than you 

 

(Translation:

It always appeared before me
Your face, I remember
My heart that stopped short
You spitefully took my disfunctional heart
And with your bright smile
That's how you easily opened my heart

It's true, that is how I became your man
All my unpleasant memories, I no longer recall
Because the hand that holds me tight
is as warm as spring

And now like a dream my heart
has gradually stopped by your side
Without awakening for a single moment,
I dream an endless dream

And now like breathing, 
if you were to always rest by my side
if you were to always remain this way
nothing better nothing better than you
nothing better nothing better than you

And now like a dream, My heart
in your embrace, is held still
Without awakening for a single moment,
I dream an endless dream

And now like breathing, 
if you were to always rest by my side
if you were to always remain this way
nothing better nothing better than you
nothing better nothing better than you

nothing better nothing better than you (cr. jpopasia!) )

Her eyes were closed as she listened to his voice. She opened them slowly once he stopped. Jonghyun’s eyes were fixed on the keys in front of him. Jinhee turned to him and saw that he was blushing a little. Seeing him blush made her blush.

 “That was amazing. You have a great voice.” She said, looking back at her feet. “Thanks. I was nervous.”

“You were? Don’t worry you were still great. I bet a lot of people have told you that though.” He laughed. “Not really. I’ve only sung in front of my closest friends. No one else.” She tilted her head to the side, facing him. “Why not?” He finally faced her and smiled. “I don’t know. I only sing when I’m comfortable. Other people may not like my voice. I’m … scared of what they think.”

 

JINHEE’S POV

He’s scared. Wow who would’ve guessed that the confident playboy in school feels this way.

But he sang in front of me. This means his comfortable around me?

 

NORMAL POV

“You have to have more self-confidence. Aren’t you a manwhore? Where’d all that confidence go to?” Jonghyun pouted at her. “I’m not a manwhore!”

“Oops I mean, playboy hehe.” Jinhee stuck her tongue out at him. “I’m not a playboy either!” She gave him a sceptical look. “Right, so all those girls that you hang out with and spend the night with are your friends?” He shrugged at her question. “Cause in that case, I don’t wanna be your friend anymore.”

“WHAT?! No!” He turned and grabbed her arm. Jinhee giggled. “I was just kidding oppa. I’ll always be your friend. So um, I guess I should go now.”

“Let’s go together. I’ll send you home.”

__________

 

Luna called right before Jinhee’s head landed on her pillow. “Yoboseyo? Let’s have a 3 way phone call with Taemin. Hold on I’ll put him in this convo.” She said before Jinhee could even respond.

“Hellooooo~” Taemin said.

“Yah Luna! Did you purposely make me go to your music room?”

“No I didn’t! I told you to wait. Anyway, don’t act like you didn’t enjoy meeting Jonghyun oppa there.” She chuckled.

“So what did you guys do in the music room huh Jinhee?” Taemin teased. “Nothing! He just sang for me.”

“HE WHAT?!” Luna yelled. “Yah … you know he doesn’t just sing for anyone right?”

“Yeah he only sings for some people.” Taemin added. “I know, he told me that. Relax guys, sheesh.”

“Jinhee, I think it’s time I told you this.” Luna sighed before continuing. “I think Jonghyun oppa likes you.”

There was a moment of silence before Jinhee burst out into laughter. “Hahahaha! That’s impossible Luna. He’s a player remember?”

“I kinda agree with Luna, Jinhee … he does seem different after being friends with you.” He said, trying to convince her. “What are you talking about? Don’t you remember we saw him with different girls even after I became friends with him.”

“That’s just what I observe Jinhee … you can choose to believe it or not.” Luna said. Taemin cleared his throat. “But even so … do you have feelings for Jonghyun hyung?”

“A-aniyo … I … no I don’t …” Jinhee stammered. “You know … we’re your best friends Jinhee, we can sense these kinds of things.”

“It’s okay Jinhee. We’re just saying anyway. We should go to bed now or else we can’t wake up tomorrow. Especially you Taemin, you sleep like a pig.” Luna said. “I DO NOT SLEEP LIKE A PIG!”

“Oh right sorry, I mean a drooling pig. Goodnight guys!” Luna said as she left the phone call. “Aish this girl …” Jinhee heard Taemin mutter. “You still love her anyways.” Jinhee laughed.

“Yeah yeah don’t try and change the subject here Jinhee.” He said. “Taemin … honestly, I’m confused.”

“I know. Don’t worry, I’m here for you. You can always tell me if there’s anything okay?” He reassured her. “Of course. Thanks Taemin.”

“Goodnight Jinhee.”

“Goodnight Taemin.”

 

JINHEE’S POV

Sigh. Jonghyun oppa likes me? … I don’t believe it. He already said. I’m his friend. Just a friend.

But what about me. Do I like him?

 

JONGHYUN’S POV

Jinhee said she’ll always be my friend. My friend.

I can’t believe I sang for her. It’s hard to even sing in front of others.

But why did I feel so nervous when I was about to sing to her?

 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Updated! More of a Jinhee x Jonghyun focus this time round :) Btw guys I still use the Story Feed on the left side sometimes so yeah ^^