Summer.

Let Me Be With You

 

His hand moved to my chin and brought my face up to meet his before planting his lips onto mine in a deep kiss.

“It’s going to be  a great summer,” He whispered.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

“And might I remind you do have assignment to finish up during this summer break,” Everyone groaned in union. What’s worse than having to do school work during summer? “Quiet!”

The whipping sound of the lecturer’s cane hitting the desk echoed through the class, silencing everyone. “That’s much better. Please do check your student email for any updates on your assignment. Before I dismiss all of you, I’d like to remind you once again that there will be an assessment when you return to school so be sure to practise and improve in your dancing.”

He looked over his shoulder towards the wall clock that hung at the top right corner just above the blackboard. Two more minutes. Two more minutes to summer break, two more minutes to freedom. All of us were on the edge of our seats just waiting for those words to escape his lips.

This week had gone by in the blink of an eye. It felt like it was just yesterday that Monday arrived and my relationship with Jonghyun was exposed. Now it’s Friday, the last day of school before summer break and everyone was already in their vacation mood, including me.

Twenty more seconds to go. I could practically hear everyone counting down in their heads.

Ten seconds. Our lecturer turned his attention back to us with a small smile spread across his lips. “Have a great summer. You’re dismissed.”

The bell rang just as soon as those words were said. Cheers were heard all around the school. It sent goosebumps all over my body.

It was chaos right after that. Everyone was everywhere. I could barely see where I was going. Thank goodness I had Taemin with me. I latched onto his arm for support as we made our way out.

“You ok there Jinhee?” He shouted over the loud voices of everyone else.

I wasn’t; I was slightly suffocated but I nodded anyway. “Just get us out of here, quick!”

It took us a while but we managed to arrive at the front doors unharmed. It was much better here, at least I could breathe.

“Look,” I followed Taemin’s gaze which led over to the parking lots where I spotted Jonghyun. He was seated on the hood of his car, and he was waving at us. He wasn’t the only one there; Luna, Onew and Aeri were there too.

I giggled when I saw Luna jumping up and down, waving at us.

“Come on then,” I said, moving forward and walking down the steps. I only made it to the first few steps before Taemin’s hand grabbed my wrist.

“Wait,” He said. “I need to tell you something.”

“What is it?”

“I’m going to make full use of this summer to get what I want,” He said. I knew what he meant; Luna. “Will you help me? I don’t think I can do this alone.”

I smiled and wrapped my arms around his shoulders. “Of course I will you silly boy.”

I already have what I want, and I’m going to help Taemin get what he wants. He gave me his cute eye smile and I ruffled his hair as I hooked my arm over his and walked over to our friends.

“Jinhee!”

“Onew!”

I ran into his open arms which squeezed me tight, with my own wrapping around him. We haven’t seen each other in a while and I’ve missed him.

Taemin ran past us into Jonghyun’s open arms. I was actually heading for my boyfriend but Onew was nearer and I miss him too much. From the corner of my eye, I could see Jonghyun pushing Taemin off and I tried my best to stifle a giggle.

“How’ve you been squishy?” I poked his cheek.

“Good. And I assume you’re doing great, considering you’re already attached to Jonghyun.” He narrowed his eyes and shook his head slowly, as he let me down and folded his arms. “Didn’t even bother to tell me the good news.”

“I thought you knew!”

“I did, but I wanted to hear it from you.”

How sweet, he’s like my brother now. He cares a lot for me. “I’m sorry squishy,” I said with a pout.

“It’s okay.” He pinched my cheeks, making me squeal. I got revenge by pinching his squishy cheeks back.

“Hey hey hey, what’s going on? What’s with the nicknames and the cheek pinching and the hugging?” Jonghyun appeared by my side, prying me away from Onew and pulling me closer to him. I looked up and smiled at my handsome boyfriend. He’s cute when he’s jealous.

His lips parted slightly and his eyes widened. “What about me?”

“What about you?”

He gave me his best puppy look which he knows I can’t resist.

I laughed and stood on my toes to give him a kiss which earned disapproving groans from the others. “You’re my puppy,” I said. We closed the gap between our faces and brushed our noses together. Satisfied with my answer, he leaned in to give me another kiss.

“Seriously guys?” Aeri groaned and punched Jonghyun’s car.

“Can we go now?” Luna whined and fanned herself with one hand. She seemed to be glowing more than usual today. Everything about her seemed brighter. Maybe it was the effects of summer…or maybe it was the effects of oh, I don’t know, falling in love?

“Jinhee?” I snapped out of my thoughts when Jonghyun tugged on my arm. He looked at me curiously. “You were smiling to yourself. Come on,”

Everyone else was already headed towards Jonghyun’s car. But something was missing.

“Where’s Minho?” I asked. There was a noticeable change in Jonghyun’s expression once I asked that but I ignored it. “And Key?”

The rest stopped in their positions, scanning the area for the other two. With one foot already in the car, Taemin pointed in the direction behind me. “There they are,”

Beside me, Jonghyun started chuckling. “What in the world are the two of you doing?” I looked over my shoulder only to find Minho and Key walking towards us or more like Minho walking towards us with Key on his back.

I giggled although Minho didn’t look particularly happy.

“Key ‘sprained’ his ankle because there were too many students,” Minho explained, letting him down. We all knew he didn’t sprain it; Minho wouldn’t look so frustrated otherwise.

“Now that they’re here, can we go?” Luna asked again. She was all excited and I didn’t even know where we were headed to.

“Where are we going?” Key asked. He skipped over to us, ignoring the fact that his ‘sprained’ ankle was perfectly fine. Minho blew out a huff of air and he leaned on his car, rubbing his back.

I walked over to him with a face full of pity. “You okay there?” I gave him a hand in rubbing his back which must’ve felt sore, but immediately regretted my actions.

“Yeah. Thanks,” He looked at me over his shoulder and smiled. His eyes ran over me sending chills down my spine. He couldn’t possible still have feelings for me, could he? I mean, I’d expect him to move on after knowing Jonghyun and I are together.

“I’ve just realised,” I took a few steps back as he turned around so that he was facing me. “This is our first summer as friends.”

I nodded in response. I couldn’t help but feel as if he’s scrutinising my every move; like he’s just waiting for something. I jumped slightly in place when he took a few steps forward, bringing himself closer to me, and swinging an arm over me. “Let’s have a great summer together,” He said.

“I’m sure we’ll all have a great summer, together.” I replied awkwardly, emphasising on the fact that we’d be spending the summer with everyone else.

He was smiling down at me, with his handsome features glowing under the sun. He was slightly, or much taller than Jonghyun, which caused a slight strain on my neck.

“Hate to interrupt whatever’s going on but, I think we should get going.” Minho’s face fell as he looked forward to where Jonghyun was approaching us.

One hand was in his pocket while the other hooked onto my elbow to pull me away from Minho. I tried my best to seem as if everything was normal, but the three of us knew it wasn’t.

I hooked an arm around Jonghyun’s waist and smiled up at him, with him returning the smile.

__________

 

The eight of us left school then; Taemin, Luna and I rode in Jonghyun’s car while the rest rode in Minho’s. We went to the largest, newly opened pancake house in town and spent the whole afternoon there trying the different flavours from the menu.

The boys even attempted to break the record of finishing the chef’s special pancake in less than an hour. They thought it would be easy to finish up the pancake, they just didn’t know how big the pancake was.

None of them beat the record. But it was fun. Luna, Aeri and I had fun watching them stuff themselves full.

The chef even gave us special gift cards for our next visit since the boys were quite entertaining for him.

“I think my tummy’s going to explode,” Jonghyun rolled over on his back, both hands rubbing his stomach.

“Jonghyun, get up. People are staring you idiot,” Aeri said through clenched teeth. She kicked his arm, making him groan louder.

The other boys were in the same state as him; all sprawled on the counter in front of them. I jumped off my chair and crouched down next to Jonghyun.

“You ok buddy?” I giggled and patted his obviously bloated self.

“Not okay,” He shook his head. “Maybe a kiss will make it better?”

I laughed because I knew he’d say that.

“Please,” Key groaned and looked down at us. “Stop before I puke all over the both of you.”

“How sweet~”

I froze.

It’s her.

“What’s up everyone?”

That ‘innocent’ voice echoed through my ears. I glanced at Luna and saw the mixed reactions on her face. A half-hearted smile was apparent.  

“Hey Jieun,” Onew said. He obviously doesn’t know what went down. I never told him because I didn’t feel like I needed to.

“What are you doing here?” Jonghyun asked harshly. He was now sitting up, hand around my waist as if protecting me.

“Just having lunch,” She raked her eyes down to his grip over me and then brought her gaze to meet mine. “I see the both of you are together again,”

“You have a problem with that?” Aeri stepped forward with arms across her chest.

“Defensive,” Jieun muttered. She rolled her eyes before pushing past Aeri and walking off. “See you guys around.”

“Well that went well,” Key said, pushing himself off the counter and off his chair. He walked towards Aeri and hugged her from behind. “So fierce. I like that,”

I chuckled when Aeri groaned and pushed him off.

When I turned to look at Luna, she was already walking towards the three other boys, so I guess she wasn’t at all fazed by Jieun.

“Is my baby okay?” Jonghyun placed a finger on my chin to turn my head towards him. I nodded as he rested his head against my chest.

He then started to kiss the bare skin of my collarbone. I placed my hand on his chest to stop him. “Don’t,”

“Why not?” He pouted.

“Are you crazy? We’re in public.” I pushed his head off as I started to get up.

“This is not over,” He smirked, pulling on my arm. I shrugged him off, pulling my hand away.

“Ew!” Luna yelled. “Taemin you’re sleeping in a pool of your saliva! Gross!”

__________

 

“So tell me,” Luna started as she took a bite off a chocolate chip cookie. “What did you and Jonghyun do?”

We were on my bedroom floor in our nightgowns, flipping through magazines with a plate of cookies and a tub of ice-cream in front of us.

“We didn’t do anything,” I said with a giggle.

“Oh come on,” She rolled on her back, facing the ceiling with her hands resting under her head. “I see the way you guys are around each other; so much !”

“Luna!”

 She burst into a fit laughter, rolling to the left and right. “My brother is right down the hall, what if he hears you?”

“So it’s true!” She landed on her right side, pointing a finger at me. “Something did happen. Oh my gosh, tell me! Did you sleep with him?”

I wrapped my hand around to stop her from saying anything else. I’d be dead if my brother happens to walk by. Before I started, I got up and closed my bedroom door. It was dark and quiet outside. Assuming my dad is already asleep; my brother should be in his room. But it doesn’t hurt to be careful.

“So?” Luna asked as she watched me walk back to her.

“I didn’t have with him, if that’s what you wanted to her,” I said, shyly. And that was the truth. He knew I wasn’t ready and he respected that.

“But?”

“But, we did get a little touchier with each other. You know, like when we’re alone and we start making out—“

“Wait…topless?”

A tingling sensation spread through my body sending chills down my spine and I felt my face heat up. I nodded slowly as Luna started squealing and tugging on my arm.

“That’s hot!” She said. “I can’t believe you kept this to yourself!”

I sheepishly nibbled on a cookie as I replayed those scenes in my head. He was really gentle with me and I liked that. The way one hand would be placed on my back to make sure I was comfortable, and how he’d whisper flirty but sweet nothings to me. Then we’d end up cuddling till I had to leave.

I miss him already.

“Your face is all red!” Luna pointed out and squealed once again, this time squeezing me in her arms. “My Jinhee is no longer innocent.” She faked a tear and wiped it off her cheek.

I playfully pushed her away before glancing at her again when something popped into my head.

“You never told me you and Taemin kissed,” I said. I’ve wanted to ask her about it just to see how she would react.

She grew quiet and grabbed a magazine from across the floor, flipping through some of the pages, pretending to be interested.

“Is he a good kisser?” I asked softly. My gaze wasn’t on her. I played with my fingers while I waited for her reply. But none came.

Slowly, I turned to her. “Silence…means yes.”

The page she was flipping stopped mid-air in between her fingers. This could only mean….

“You liked the kiss!” I jumped, causing her to scoff in defence as she looked up at me.

“I did not say that,” She said.

“Exactly, you didn’t say anything. And not saying anything means it’s a yes to my question.” I answered as a-matter-of-factly. She ignored me and returned back to the magazine. I shrugged it off and decided not to bother her any longer.

“Maybe I did like it.”

It was soft, so soft, that maybe she didn’t intend on me hearing, but I did. I did.

She liked the kiss.

She liked it.

And as her best friend, I’m pretty darn sure; she’s starting to like Taemin. 

__________

 

 

“Are you going to be in a two-piece?” He asked over the phone for the tenth time.

“What does it matter to you anyway?” I sighed and switched the phone to my other ear. “You’re not invited,”

I heard a gasp and fake sniffing. “Ouch, my heart.”

Such a drama queen. “If you decide to just show up, I’m going to ignore you the whole time.”

“Let’s see how long you’ll ignore me when I start walking around ,” He snickered. I winced at the thought. Jonghyun walking around at the beach…why does it seem like something he would in fact do?

“Then I’ll get too,” Okay that wasn’t such a great comeback and I regretted it as soon as I said it, mentally facepalming myself.

There was a second of silence before he replied. “Baby you know I’d enjoy that,”

“Guys, I’m right here. Please, save it for when you’re alone.” Luna groaned and flipped over to her other side, placing a pillow on her ear. I giggled and whispered sorry to her.

“So how’s mission Taena going?” He asked softly.

I glanced at Luna lying down next to me with the pillow covering her head. “Hmm, there’s definitely something there,” I said.

“Awesome. I’ve already given Taemin some tips, so hopefully it won’t be long before we could all go on double dates!”

I laughed at the thought of it. It would be weird because it would be just as how it is now. Except Taemin and Luna aren’t ‘official’ or anything. But when we’re all together, it’s always Jonghyun and I and then Taemin and Luna.

“Anyway, I have something to tell you,” His voice was softer and deeper now. Much more serious.

“Yeah?”

“My vocal instructor told me that there are already entertainment companies asking for recommendations,” He started. “And, my instructor has actually listed me down as one of the recommended students.”

I gasped at the good news. “That’s great!” I was truly happy for him. Scouting was a tradition in our school. Only lucky handfuls would get selected each year for a contract and if you’re luckier to be listed as a recommendation, then you’ve basically hit the jackpot. “I’m so happy for you!”

“Yeah, I know,” His voice didn’t sound as ecstatic as it should. Why wouldn’t he be? Anyone else would’ve been more than elated to be in his position.

“What’s wrong Jonghyun? Aren’t you happy?” I asked, careful not to sound harsh.

“I am, I am. It’s just that,” There was a long silence before he heaved a huge sigh. “I’m scared.”

My heart felt heavy. He sounded really worried and I wish I was there with him at this time. I knew about his stage fright, and I know he’s trying to overcome his fear. But I guess, receiving such news, one which may determine his future, was becoming a burden towards him.

“Jonghyun,” I tried sounding as calm as possible. “I’ll help you okay? You can overcome your fear. I’m here for you,”

“Thank you Jinhee,”

I smiled when I heard his voice in its normal tone again. “Jinhee, I really miss you,” He said. I grinned like a little school girl. He had that effect on me. If Luna were awake, she’d probably be teasing me right now.

“I miss you too Jonghyun,”

“Shall I sing you a song?”

I nodded although he couldn’t see. “Yes!” His singing was my favourite kind of music. I love his voice. I love it even more when he sings especially for me,

and only me. 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Quickie update before I probably go on a short break to prepare for my tests next week! Hehe oooh Luna is falling for Taemin hm hm yes saving the love for future updates. 

I LOVE ALL OF YOU OKAY <3

And isn't JongHee so adorable ugh crying at my couple omg lol I want to be Jinhee and be loved by Jonghyun hahaha k ignore me pls. I'll be back soon! ^^ 

LOOK AT MY KAWAII ISN'T HE JUST UGH PERFECT <3