I'm (not) Missing You.

Let Me Be With You

 

With a frustrated growl, he threw his phone across the room, breaking it.

“I’m such a fool.”

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

"Eunkyo please stop jumping around." Jinhee whined as she rubbed her temples. Ignoring her babysitter, Eunkyo continued to jump on the couch where Jinhee was lying on, making her headache worse.

The sound of jingling keys made its way to the living room and stopped behind the couch. Wooyoung hovered over it and found his sister staring blankly at the ceiling looking as if she was sleeping with her eyes open. "You're alive right?"

Jinhee's eyes rolled over to her brother. "Not for long if this stubborn girl doesn't stop ignoring me," Jinhee sighed. "I may just die from a headache."

Wooyoung chuckled and turned his attention to Eunkyo who was now singing and dancing along to an ad in front of the television. "Guess she's not that quiet girl she was two years ago anymore huh?"

"No. Definitely not." Jinhee pulled herself up and eyed her brother from head to toe. He was dressed formally, with a file in hand making Jinhee curious. "Where are you going?"

"Job interview," He said while putting his socks on. "I may just get this one. So fingers crossed!"

"You're already working full time at the garage shop, oppa." Jinhee said from then couch, watching her brother fix his dress shirt.

"I know. But we need the money," Wooyoung sighed. "We owe the bank a lot of money. There are still bills to be paid. And the amount I earn at the garage isn't enough to cover everything."

Jinhee pouted and slowly nodded in understanding. Recently, they haven't been doing so well financially and have even received several calls from the bank reminding them about the consequences if payments aren't made. Even bills from months before have yet to be paid.

It's also the reason why Jinhee started babysitting again, to help with some expenses. It's the only job she knew her brother would approve of her doing.

"So how about letting me work this summer?" Jinhee asked, giving it a try.

"You shouldn't be working so hard at your age. Leave it to me." Wooyoung said and nodded to the younger girl who was now next to Jinhee, listening in on their conversation. "Besides, I think babysitting is the best job for you. I won't have to worry since you're home."

"Yeah eonnie!" Eunkyo joined in and placed both hands on her cheek with a dramatic expression. "If you don't babysit me, no one will and then, my parents will send me off to boarding school and then, I'll be super super sad and then--"

Jinhee groaned silently as she pretended to listen to Eunkyo. Wooyoung smiled and waved goodbye before leaving for his interview.

"Eunkyo," Jinhee said nicely with a smile on her face.

"Yes?"

"I'm having a headache so if you don't mind, could you tone it down just a little bit?" Jinhee smiled. "I'll give you some ice-cream if you're a good girl."

"Sure!" Eunkyo chirped and moved off the couch to allow Jinhee to lay down. She stood by the couch and watched her babysitter rest.

Jinhee was too deep in her thoughts to notice. Her hand brushed over her empty neck and paused there. It reminded her of the necklace that Jonghyun gave to her which  she had carelessly dropped into the waters in Hawaii.

It had barely been two weeks since they broke up. Everything reminded her of Jonghyun; she couldn't escape thoughts of him. Thoughts of wanting to call him up and tell him how much she's missed him. Thoughts of surprising him by dropping by at his apartment and cooking lunch for him. And with every one of those thoughts, tears would escape her eyes each time.

"Don't cry," Eunkyo gasped when she saw a single tear drop from the side of her face. She climbed on top of Jinhee and sat on her tummy. "Does it hurt that bad?"

"Yes Eunkyo, it hurts. It hurts a lot." She sniffed.

"My mommy always takes some aspirin if her headache gets really bad."

Jinhee chuckled and wiped the tears away. "It's not the headache that's hurting me," She said. "It's my heart."

"Your heart?" Eunkyo tilted her head to the side and looked at Jinhee with a confused expression. "Is it because you just broke up with your husband?"

Jinhee scrunched her eyebrows together. "Hey, how did you know?"

Eunkyo gasped and covered as if she had just done something really bad. "Eunkyo? How did you know?" Jinhee asked again. But the little girl kept her hands on and shook her head from side to side.

Jinhee kept her stare on her till she decided to speak. "Okay fine," She slowly lowered her hands from . "Wooyoung oppa told me about it in the morning. He said I'm not allowed to talk about it because it would make you sad. I'm sorry."

"Is that all?" Jinhee giggled. "You don't have to be sorry."

"But you're so sad now," Eunkyo pouted and fiddled with her fingers. "Your husband is mean!"

"He's not my husband. Just my boyfriend." Jinhee said.

"But why did he break up with you?"

"He didn't." Jinhee smiled bitterly. "I broke up with him."

"But why?" Eunkyo whined.

"Because," Jinhee paused. She thought about what she was going to say. Surely Eunkyo would now understand and she really didn't feel like explaining what happened. "Nevermind. I'll tell you when you're older."

"No!" She huffed. "Meanie."

"You wanna go to the park?"

"Yeah!"

Jinhee laughed as Eunkyo jumped off her and ran towards the door where her shoes were neatly placed by the side. She managed to distract Eunkyo from the subject but she knew she could never distract herself from it.

 

__________

 

“So when are we actually telling her that Jonghyun’s going to be there?” Luna asked Aeri seated in the driver’s seat. Her car was parked in front of Jinhee’s while they waited for her to get ready for their movie date.

“We don’t,” Aeri answered. “Unless she asks of course.”

Luna sighed and watched Taemin pace back and forth waiting for her to come out. When she did, Luna opened the door and stepped out to hug her best friend. She couldn’t help but to stare at Jinhee’s swollen eyes; evidence of how much she has been crying.

“Is it that bad?” Jinhee asked, lightly dabbing the area around her eyes.

“Oh, no no.” Luna smiled. “Pretty. You look pretty, as always.”

Jinhee smiled and entered the car with Luna following behind while Taemin sat at the passenger’s seat next to Aeri. Jinhee and Aeri greeted each other before they drove off to the mall to meet up with the rest.

The ride was quiet; nobody wanted to say anything that could possibly make things worse. Jinhee kept her gaze out the window and tried to ignore the awkward atmosphere. Although she seemed calm on the outside, she wasn’t on the inside. And there was just one thing she was itching to ask ever since they invited her out.

“Is Jonghyun going to be there?” She suddenly asked. Luna turned to her and gulped. She was still looking out the window. Aeri’s eyes met with Taemin’s and they shared an awkward knowing glance.

“Yeah, he’s coming.” Aeri said. “Are you okay with that? If you’re not, we could—“

“No,” Jinhee replied softly. “I’m fine.”

They arrived at the mall soon after and went straight to the cinema on the highest storey. Jinhee walked a step behind everyone else as if hiding from something—or someone. After eyeing the area subtly and not seeing Jonghyun anywhere, she stepped out to greet the rest of the boys especially Onew, giving him a big hug.

She followed behind as they went to buy the tickets and stood nervously by Onew’s side. Although she didn’t want to admit it, she was waiting to see Jonghyun. She wanted to see him again. And talk to him. She’d missed him. A lot.

“Looking for someone?” Onew asked, noticing her nervous self.

She smiled bitterly and shook her head. Sighing, she gave up trying to find him and figured that he decided not to come. That is, until she heard her name.

“Jinhee.”

Almost too quickly, she turned around to find Jonghyun standing before her. Her heart was racing and she mentally breathed a sigh of happiness looking at him.

He looked just as damaged as she did and it pained her as much as it pained him to see each other in that state.

“Hi,” She said softly.

“How are you?” He asked awkwardly, not knowing what else to say.

“Fine.” She replied. “H-How about you?”

“Fine too.”

She nodded and they both fell into an awkward silence. It hurt Jonghyun to be so uncomfortable around her. But he couldn’t find the right words to say to her.

“We got our tickets,” Onew approached them and handed them each a ticket. “Shall we go?”

Of course, being Onew, he carelessly gave them tickets which were next to each other earning him glares from the Luna. He smiled sheepishly and sunk into his seat which was next to Jinhee. “I’m sorry,” He whispered to her. “I’ll switch seats with you if you want?”

“It’s fine.” Jinhee smiled and patted his hand reassuring him she was okay.

When the ads which were played before the actual movie stopped and the lights started to dim, Jinhee leaned in closer to Onew and asked, “What movie is this?”

“Some horror movie,” He replied nonchalantly.

“What?!” She hissed. She hated horror movies. Onew ignored her when she tried to tell him that, focusing only on his popcorn and the start of the movie.

Jinhee sighed and kept her eyes closed throughout everything. Even the background music was enough to make her jump. The constant shrieks and squeals in the theatre weren’t helping either.

An hour later while the movie was entering its , everyone was becoming tense. Jinhee sensed it from the eerie music playing. Out of curiosity, she decided to take a peek.

She held her breath and slowly opened one eye just enough to be able to see what was going on.

The music was getting more intense and everyone was engrossed into the movie as the main character walked down the dark hallway of her apartment with a weapon in hand.

Just as Jinhee opened her other eye, the ghostly character appeared on the big screen followed by a loud shriek coming from the main character as well as most of them in the theatre, including Jinhee.

Shocked, she squealed and naturally turned to the person next to her, burying her face into his chest. A warm hand wrapped around her back and pulled her close.

It was only after a while did she realise who she had turned to. "Jonghyun," She whispered. He couldn't hear her over the loud sounds coming from the movie.

She relished the feel of being in his arms again. She took in the smell of his cologne; her favourite one.

From the way his arm wrapped around her, she knew he didn't want to let go either. But she had to before the movie ends not wanting the others to misunderstand.

Slowly, she pushed herself off him. Jonghyun lifted his arm reluctantly and looked at her as she moved back into her seat. She smiled bitterly at him and sighed. Just like that, they were separated once again.

When the movie ended, they walked behind the rest, listening to them go on about the movie while they kept silent. No one had noticed the hug they shared during the movie; everyone was too engrossed into the story.

She turned to Jonghyun walking next to her. He felt her eyes on him and took a glance in her direction but she turned away quickly. He chuckled silently and smiled to himself.

 

__________

 

Jinhee sat on one of the benches outside a shoe store while she waited for the girls, with shopping bags placed on both sides of her. They had bought a ton of stuff and were looking for more. Tired, Jinhee gave up and told them she would be waiting for them outside.

She sat and hummed a tune to herself while waiting. Until someone took the seat next to her, startling her.

"Sorry, didn't mean to scare you." He said.

"Oh," She smiled. "It's okay." She observed Jonghyun's face and notice how he had dark circles under his eyes. Just like her. And how his eyes were slightly swollen as well. Just like hers.

They chuckled as if understanding what each other was thinking. "You look horrible," Jinhee giggled.

"So do you," He replied.

They were silent again after a few light chuckles before Jonghyun spoke up again. He said it so softly, as if he was whispering, making Jinhee wonder if he had really said it or if she had simply imagined it. "I miss you.

She turned to him and watched. He kept fiddling with his fingers and avoided her gaze instead focusing it onto the floor.

"I...I..."Jinhee stuttered not knowing what exactly to say or how to say it. She felt happy yet sad. Happy that he missed her as much as she missed him. But sad, that she couldn't bring herself to reply the same.

"Don't you miss me?" He asked. His hand slowly moved over hers placed on her lap. "I know you do, I can feel it.

"I don't know..." She muttered.

"Then why are you holding my hand?"

She glanced at their hands on her lap and realised only now that she had moulded her hands into his just like how she used to. It just came naturally. Quickly, she pulled it away and moved it to her head, scratching an imaginary itch.

From the corner of her eye, she could see him pulling his hand back reluctantly and bringing it back to his own lap. He was hurt.

"Guess I was wrong,” He was shaking his head to himself. “Maybe you didn’t love me as much as I thought you did.”

“Excuse me?” Jinhee scoffed. “That should be my line. Who did who wrong?”

Jonghyun stared back at her, both giving each other an intense gaze. His gaze softened after a while and looked away. “I’m sorry. I don’t know why I said that.”

Jinhee looked to the other side in an attempt to hide her teary eyes. She didn’t want to cry in front of him; not again.

Jonghyun was about to say something else but paused when his phone started ringing. He sighed and pulled it out of his front pocket, groaning as he read the name on his caller ID.

"What?" He answered harshly.

Jinhee subtly listened in on his conversation. The voice on the line was loud enough for her to make out that it was a girl. He mumbled throughout the conversation and at the very end, she was sure she heard him mention Jieun's name.

She watched as he hung up and shoved the phone back into his pocket. "Was that Jieun?" She asked.

He stared blankly at her for a moment before nodding. He couldn't read her feelings making him confused as to what she really wanted. If she didn't miss him, why does she sound like she's jealous? He thought.

"So you're contacting her," She muttered.

"She, is contacting me. Not the other way around." He was inspecting her face, trying to read her expression.

Jinhee smiled bitterly and gave a weak nod. He watched her closely. Part of him wanted to know what was going on in her head while another part of him just wanted to cherish this moment he had sitting next to her.

Minutes later, Aeri and Luna came back with more bags in hand with the rest of the boys following behind. Jonghyun stood up to let the girls sit, still keeping his gaze on Jinhee while he moved towards the boys. She pretended not to notice and feigned interest in whatever the girls had bought.

“She hates me,” Jonghyun whispered to Key.

“Well duh.” He scoffed. “What were you expecting?”

Taemin hit Key’s hand and gave a reassuring smile to Jonghyun. “She just needs time. She still loves you,” He said. “I think.”

“See,” Jonghyun sighed. “You can’t even confirm that she does.”

They turned to look at Jinhee who had stood up from her seat. She hugged the girls and gave a smile in the direction of the boys before walking off. Jonghyun was about to go after her when a hand stopped him. “Don’t,” Minho said. Jonghyun pushed the younger boy’s hand away and ran a hand through his hair. “I’m sorry hyung. I just think you should leave her alone right now.”

Jonghyun nodded after a short pause, agreeing with Minho. “Fine.”

“What did you say to her?” Luna stomped up to Jonghyun and stared up at him. Jonghyun blinked at the girl in front of him. “Hmm? What did you say to her? What did you do?”

“Nothing.” He shook his head.

“Liar.” She grabbed his collar and attempted to choke him before the others pulled her off. Taemin grabbed her by the waist and separated her from Jonghyun who was about to make a run for it.

“You’re crazy!” He breathed.

“Damn right I am!” She hissed, struggling to get away from Taemin’s grip. Taemin placed his hand over and carried her further away.

“I’m telling my mom on you!”

__________

 

“I just want to get fooled again,” Jinhee said. She was going through her old texts with Jonghyun, giggling at every silly thing Jonghyun sent her and tearing at every sweet compliment he gave her.

“Goal!” Wooyoung screamed, shooting up from his seat and punching his fist in the air. He gave a high five to his dad before settling into his seat again.

“I’m talking to you!” Jinhee whined, kicking his thighs.

“Ouch! Okay okay, I’m listening.” He defended himself and grabbed both her feet to stop the kicking. “Something about Jonghyun right?”

"Yes I hate him," She replied.

Wooyoung scoffed and tore his eyes away from the television screen. "Stop lying. You love him."

"Not helping." She turned to her dad and leaned on his shoulder. "You're listening, right?"

"Sorry sweetheart what were you saying again?" Mr Jang pulled her close with his eyes glued to the screen.

"Guys!" She groaned and hit the both of them with a small cushion. It hardly had an effect; their attention was still on the game.

“Okay, half time!” Mr Jang clapped his hands and turned the volume down before turning to his daughter. “What is it?”

Jinhee played with the small cushion in her hands and looked at the two of them. She pouted a little. “It’s Jonghyun…”

“Have you guys gotten back together yet?” Wooyoung asked casually. The cushion landed on his head with a loud thud. He turned and glared at his sister. “That hurt.”

“I know,” Jinhee said. “That’s for not supporting me.”

Wooyoung stared at her with his mouth agape. He turned to his dad who was shaking his head with a smile on his face. “She just said that I don’t support her!”

Mr Jang shrugged and put his hands up in front of him in defence. “Hey this is between the two of you, don’t drag me into it.”

Wooyoung sighed and pulled his sister into his arms. He squeezed her and kissed the top of her head. “What do you want me to do?”

“I think it’s time you use that chainsaw. Jonghyun can be the test dummy.” She said.

“Aww,” Wooyoung huffed. “I was just starting to like Jonghyun.”

Jinhee hit him playfully and whined. “That’s not funny!”

“What? I meant it. I really was starting to like that guy.”

Both Jinhee and Mr Jang stared at him doubtfully. They couldn’t tell if it was sarcasm or if he was being serious about finally opening up to Jonghyun.

“I’m serious!” Wooyoung said. He looked back and forth between his sister and father. “I just thought that since he makes Jinhee happy, then I should be happy.”

“But now he makes me unhappy,” Jinhee groaned and let her head fall onto his lap. “Punch him for me.”

“No.”

“Please.”

“No.”

“Why not?!” She yelled.

“Call him over and we’ll have dinner together,” Mr Jang interrupted. He pulled her up by the hand and squeezed her face. “We’ll settle it here. Nicely.”

“No,” Jinhee shook her head and jumped off the couch onto her feet. “I am not getting back together with him! Not after what he did…” Her voice got caught in and she started to sob softly while wiping her eyes with her sleeve. “I loved him so much and he betrayed me,”

Once the tears started to fall, she made a run towards her room and shut the door close behind her. Wooyoung and his father looked at each other. “This is your fault,” Wooyoung said.

“What do you mean my fault? It’s yours!” Mr Jang scoffed. “If you had just agreed to punch him for her…” He shrugged and got off the couch, leaving before he Wooyoung could defend himself.

 

__________

 

 

“I hate Jonghyun,” Jinhee said to herself while playing with the dinosaur plush toy that Jonghyun had won for her. “It’s okay Jjong, I still like you.”

She sighed and turned to the polaroid photo of them both on her bedside table. It was from the first day of summer where Jonghyun had followed her, Taemin and Luna to the beach. She smiled looking at the photo, it was the first time he had ever told her he loved her.

“I love you too,” She smiled. “ I miss you.”

 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

I am so sorry it took me two weeks to write such a lame chapter lol really, I had such a hard time trying to get the words out of my head for this chapter. Hope it doesn't disappoint! ):

Oh, and Jonghyun's finally making a comeback and joining the boys for WSS promos tomorrow on MCountdown! Aw baby, finally ^^