Confused

Let Me Be With You

Sigh. Jonghyun oppa likes me? … I don’t believe it. He already said. I’m his friend. Just a friend.

But what about me. Do I like him?

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

NORMAL POV

Jinhee woke up the next morning to the smell of pancakes. Pancakes? On a weekday? She thought. They never actually made breakfast on a weekday. Most of the time, they only had cereal.

She freshened up, got dressed and headed down, following the smell of the delicious food awaiting her. “Good morning appa! Good morning oppa!” Jinhee says as she walked down the stairs, watching her step. Her eyes furrowed with confusion as she saw an unfamiliar yet familiar back view of someone in her kitchen along with her family.

Her eyes widened as the stranger turned and smiled at her. “Good morning Jinhee. Did you have a good sleep?”

“No. I mean- yes. Wait. Minho oppa?” She blinked her eyes continuously, making sure she wasn’t imagining him there. Minho chuckled and gave her a warm smile. “What are you doing here?”

“I invited him for breakfast.” Wooyoung said as he flipped a pancake in the air. “What? How-“ Wooyoung tossed the last pancake onto a plate and handed it to her. He placed his hands on her shoulders and pushed all the way to the dining table, making her take a seat. “Stop asking questions. Just eat!”

“Minho, you sit here.” He pulled out a chair for Minho next to Jinhee and took a seat across from her with their father sitting at the head of the table.

Jinhee felt extremely awkward. It wasn’t because she was sitting next to Minho. It was because she was sitting next to Minho at home, having breakfast at the same table as her brother and her father. Wooyoung on the other hand was enjoying this completely. He was growing fonder of Minho by the second.

“So how are you two doing?” Wooyoung asked out of the blue making Jinhee choke on her food. Minho softly patted her on the back, and handed her her cup of orange juice. “Are you okay?” She nodded in response. Her cheeks went pink from the question.

“You guys are so cute.” Wooyoung added. “Oppa …” She glared at him.

Minho chuckled. “Wooyoung hyung, we’re not together. If that’s what you’re thinking.” He said in response.

“Oh. Well then now would be a good time to get together now wouldn’t it?” Wooyoung replied, grinning. Jinhee turned to her father with eyes screaming help!

“Wooyoung … that’s enough. Stop it.” He warned.

Jinhee sulked for the rest of the time, making it obvious to Wooyoung that she was angry at him.

After breakfast, they were headed of for school. “Minho oppa why don’t you wait outside. I’ll be right there.” He nodded and bowed to the two older guys before stepping out.

As soon as he closed the door behind him, Jinhee went straight to her brother and started hitting him. “WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?” she yelled, hitting him after every word.

“Ouch ouch ouch! What did I do?!” He yelled back at her. “Stop it! No fighting in the kitchen.” Their father interrupted.

“Appa, you saw what oppa did, didn’t you?” Jinhee pouted and went up to hug her father. “Wooyoung-ah, why did you say those things?”

“What? Was it so wrong? He’s a nice guy! I actually approve of him.” Wooyoung said as he put the plates in the sink. “So? So what if you approve of him? Huh?”

“SO, it means that I have no objections if you were to go out with him more often and started dating him. I like him.”

“Why don’t you date him then.” Jinhee crossed her arms and said sarcastically. “Don’t use that tone with me! What’s the matter with you? Don’t you like him?” He looked at his sister as if she was crazy.

She kept silent and rolled her eyes. “Wait. Do you … like someone else?”

“NO!” She said in defence. “I didn’t say that.”

“Hm. Well then. It better not be that Jonghyun guy. Spend more time with Minho, okay?” He said innocently as if nothing had happened before. Jinhee scoffed. “STOP BUTTING INTO MY LIFE!” She yelled at him. She grabbed her bag and gave her father a hug and kiss before leaving the house, ignoring her brother.

“Wooyoung you never fail to annoy your sister …”

“Hey! I was just helping. I mean seriously Minho is a GREAT guy!” His father let out a sigh. “Jinhee’s right. Why don’t you just date him. “

 

__________

 

It was a quiet walk with Minho. Jinhee didn’t want to say anything, still feeling awkward from the situation before.

“So, how’s school?” Minho asked, breaking the ice. She was already lost in her own thoughts that his voice startled her. “O-oh. School’s fine. What about you?”

“Fine for me too.” She started messing around with her backpack trying to think of things to say. “Um. Actually I never really asked, which department are you from?”

“Drama. Just like Key. But I take sports as a second major since I’m better at it and it’ll help to pull my grades up.” She nodded her head slowly.

 

TAEMIN’S POV

“Oh there’s Jinhee now!” I saw her walking down the street. But wait, she’s with someone. “Is that … Minho?” Luna asked.

“You’re right it is Minho.” Why is she with Minho? She must be more confused than I thought. The look on her just screams for help.

I waved to both of them as they got nearer. “Annyeong. Hyung, you’re here.”

“Yeah I had breakfast at Jinhee’s house.So we walked to school together.” He answered with a smile. I looked over to Jinhee. She was pouting and looking elsewhere.

“Alright then … since we’re all here let’s just walk to school together.” Luna spoke up. I guess she noticed the awkward atmosphere as well. I walked next to Minho so that Jinhee could walk with Luna. That way, things won’t be as uncomfortable.

“So hyung. Why were you at Jinhee’s house?”

 

“Her brother invited me over. I didn’t want to be rude so I came.” He shrugged. “Ah … I see.”

Wooyoung hyung invited him over? Wow he must really like Minho.

 

JINHEE’S POV

“Jin …” Luna whispered to me as we were walking, “he came over to have breakfast?”

“Well, Wooyoung oppa …” she raised her palm at me motioning for me to stop and she nodded as if she knew what I was going to say next. “Guess your brother is fond of Minho huh?”

I shrugged. It was already awkward enough after he confessed he liked me. And now, after that whole scenario during breakfast, it has come to a whole new level of awkwardness. Don’t get me wrong, I like Minho. I don’t know if I like like him because it’d be a lie if I say I wasn’t attracted to him at all.

 

NORMAL POV

At the school gates, Jonghyun was already waiting for the three of them. “Where are they~~” He sang in a tune while waiting.

His eyes lit up when he saw Jinhee and Luna walking towards school. Just at that time Jinhee dropped her phone which had slipped out of her hand. “Oh.” Jonghyun subconsciously said aloud. He was just about to walk over when he saw Minho stepping up to help Jinhee pick her phone up.

“Minho?! Aish. What is he doing there?” He huffed out a deep breath and then walked towards them.

“Hi Jinhee! Luna, Taemin.” He greeted. “Hyung, what about me?” Minho asked, waving his hand in front of Jonghyun. “Oh. Minho. Hi.”

Jonghyun made sure he walked next to Jinhee the whole time they walked to class together. He was hesitant to leave when they reached Jinhee and Taemin’s class. “So … see you guys later. Bye Jinhee.”

She smiled shyly. “Bye Jonghyun oppa.” They stayed there for a moment. Minho hadn’t left either, making Jonghyun even more hesitant to leave. “Okay let’s go oppa.” Luna said to Jonghyun. He pretended he didn’t hear her and continued standing there with Jinhee. “Let’s go~ Hurry~~” Luna pulled his sleeve and dragged him along. It made Jinhee giggle. “Bye. Bye Jinhee!”

She then looked towards Minho and then at Taemin, and smiled. “So … I’ll just go in first.” Taemin said. Jinhee looked at Minho and smiled. “Minho oppa, sorry about my brother.”

“It’s okay Jinhee. I understand.” He replied. “Besides, I kinda agree with what he said.” He chuckled and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. Her eyes widened, taken aback by what he said. Her cheeks flushed and she averted her gaze. He laughed and walked off saying goodbye. “See you later Jinhee.”

“Confused huh?” Taemin said as she walked to her seat. She gave him a pout and nodded. “Aw, my poor Jinhee.” He patted her head.

 

__________

JONGHYUN’S POV

 

Ugh. Why is it so hard to write this song?

“HEY! What’s up?” Oh it’s her again. “Don’t you ever have class Luna?”

“Why? … Don’t you like me?” She pouted at me. “Well you are kind of – “

“Okay then I’ll just stay away from you and tell Jinhee we shouldn’t be friends with you anymore because you hate me.”

“No! Okay okay fine I like you, you’re my friend. You’re not annoying. I enjoy your company.” She smiled a teasing smile and sat down next to me. “I was just kidding you know. You can tell me if you find me annoying.”

“I was just kidding too. You’re not annoying. But seriously don’t you have any other friends to hang out with?” I tried not to offend her with that question. “Only Jinhee and Taemin. And now you.”

“Aw, how sweet. So … you doing anything later on?” I winked. “Ew! Kim Jonghyun don’t you dare hit on me.”

“Aw why? You don’t like me?” She glared at me. “You’re hot. But SO not my type. You’re more of … I don’t know … Jinhee’s type maybe?”

Jinhee? I just glanced at her and then turned my attention back to my music sheet.

“So what are you doing?” She asked. “Trying to write a song.”

“So how’s it going?” She asked again. “Not so good.” She nodded.

“What do you think of Jinhee?” Huh? “What?”

“I said, what do you think of Jinhee?” I looked at her and realised how serious she was. “She’s cool.” I answered.

“Just cool?” I gave her a nod. “Yeah she’s cool. I like her, she’s nice.”

“Hm. Okay.” She nodded and stood up. “I won’t bother you now. See ya~”

 

MINHO’S POV

What a hot day. Just got done with soccer practice and looks like I need new soccer boots.

“Minho hyuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuung~!” Hmm? I turned and saw Taemin running over to me. “Taemin-ah what are you doing here?”

“Just wanted to see what you were up to.” I side-eyed him. “Really? …”

“Yeap. So. Soccer practice huh?” I nodded slowly, trying to read his expression. What is this boy up to.

“So hyung! I hear you like Jinhee. Is that true?” I chuckled. “She told you? Yeah I like her.”

“She’s cute, fun to be with. And she’s nice too. I don’t know I just … see something in her.” I replied. He nodded and smiled at me. “Oh, I see. Well, I gotta get back to class. Bye hyung!”

Maybe Jinhee told him to ask me that. I wonder how she feels about me …

“Taemin wait!” He stopped running, and turned to me. “Yes?”

I jogged over to him. “You’re Jinhee’s best friend right? How does she feel about me?”

“Oh uh … I don’t know hyung.” That’s helpful. “Sorry! Bye!” He said and ran off again.

 

JINHEE’S POV

It was English class and Taemin sat next to Luna which was weird since I usually sit in between them. Now he’s in between us and I’m sitting on his left.

Hmm this is even weirder. Why are they whispering without including me?

“Hey. What’re we talking about?” I asked. “Nothing.” Both of them replied simultaneously.

Keeping secrets from me I see?? That’s not fair. I pouted at Taemin. It usually works when Luna does aegyo to him. Apparently it only applies to Luna. He just stared at me with a blank expression. “Ugh fine.” I gave up and rested my head on the table. I heard him giggle after that.

 

TAEMIN’S POV

Luna and I were just discussing about Jonghyun and Minho hyung. She had asked Jonghyun hyung about Jinhee and I had asked Minho hyung. Seems like Minho hyung really likes Jinhee. And Jonghyun hyung … I don’t know it’s like he’s bipolar. Sometimes he seems like her likes her and then the next moment she’s just “cool”.

“I guess right now, Minho’s in the lead.” Luna said.

Hmm. “But you know we need to consider Jinhee’s thoughts too. And this girl is as confused as a fat kid with a salad.” She stared at me. “What?”

“Nothing.”

Hmm. I think I know who we can go for help on this.

 

NORMAL POV

“Hey~” Jinhee heard a familiar voice call out as she was walking home the next day. She turned and saw Key. “Oh hello Key oppa!”

Key blushed when she called him oppa. “You don’t really have to call me Key oppa. Just Key.” She giggled. “Did you blush because I called you oppa? You’re so cute Key.”

“Thanks but I already knew that.” She gave him a weird look. “What?” “Nothing.”

“So you wanna grab something to eat?” Key asked her. “Sure, why not! Where should we go?”

Key brought her to a fancy restaurant near town. She was in awe of the beautiful place. “Yah, stop staring like that it’s embarrassing.” He hissed. Jinhee gave him an apologetic look and continued following him into the restaurant. They were seated and then ordered from the menu.

“You eat here often?” Jinhee asked. “Yeah. The food’s nice.” Key said while taking a sip of his water.

“So, how’s everything?” Key asked her. “Hmm well everything’s always okay for me. You?” He shrugged. “Everything’s fine I guess.”

After a while Key couldn’t handle the small talk anymore. “Okay, I’ll just get straight to the point. I heard Minho likes you? “

“How did you know about this?” Jinhee asked, quite taken aback. “Nevermind that, so how do you feel about him?” She let out a sigh. “I think I must’ve said this like 10 times already. I don’t know how I feel about him. I like him, but I don’t exactly know if I like like him.”

“Interesting. So there’s a chance you do like like him?”

“No. I mean – yes. There’s a chance … why are you so interested anyway?” She pouted. “Of course I’m interested. It concerns my friends!”

“What about you and Jonghyun then?” Key asked again. “Jonghyun oppa?” He nodded. “We’re … just friends.”

“Really? You don’t have any feelings for him? …” She paused before answering. “No.”

 

__________

   

 

“So what did you find out hyung?” Taemin asked over the phone. “She definitely likes one of them.” Key replied confidently. Taemin gasped. “Which one?!”

“Taemin it’s so obvious, you don’t need me to tell you this.”

“What?! No hyung I need you to tell me this.” He begged. “Stop meddling into other people’s relationships and focus on your own! How are you and Luna?”

“Still the same …” He replied softly. “See. So stop being a busybody. Goodnight Taem!”

“No no wait— ugh …”

__________

 

Key was walking to class when he saw Jonghyun by the staircase. It’s unusual to find Jonghyun there because he’s mostly practicing. “Hey.” He sat next to Jonghyun who hadn’t noticed his presence until now. “Oh. Hi Key.”

KEY’S POV

I’m worried. He isn’t usually this quiet. I wonder if anything’s wrong. “Are you okay? Is something bothering you?”

He turned to me and smiled softly. I’ve been around him long enough to see how fake of a smile that was. “I’m fine. I just need some air. Be right back.”

“Hey wait—“ He left. Guess I’ll have to find him later or else I’ll be late.

 

JINHEE’S POV

Taemin and I together with a bunch of our classmates were playing games in class. A substitute teacher had come in and told us our teacher was down with the flu. Since he didn’t give us any assignments, we decided to have our own fun.

I got bored so I went to the side. I glanced out the window and saw someone sitting by the fountain. Hmm he looks familiar. Oh wait, it’s Jonghyun oppa. Why is he there?

I looked around class and everyone busy doing their own thing. They won’t realise if I’m gone for a while.

I ran down to the fountain. He was resting his chin on both his palms. He looks … sad. I walked over slowly to him and cleared my throat. He snapped out of his daze and looked at me. “Jinhee. What are you doing here?”

“I saw you here so I decided to come over. Can I sit down?” He smiled and nodded. “Sure.”

 

NORMAL POV

“Are you … okay?” Jinhee asked, poking his arm. He kept his gaze forward and then looked at his feet. “Just not in the mood.”

“What’s wrong? Did something happen?” He shook his head. “No. I don’t know. I’ve been trying to write songs but it’s just not working. They all turn out like .”

“So that’s why you’re so down? You should relax. Writing a good song takes time right?” He shrugged. “I guess.”

“It’s weird seeing you like this.” Jinhee said. “Like what?”

“Like this. Sad and quiet.” He moved closer to her and placed his hand on her waist, pulling her in so that there was no space in between them. Her eyes widened. “Am I like my usual self now?” He brought his face closer to hers and whispered in her ear. “Do you like it when I’m like this?”

Her heart was racing and her face flushed. When he tilted his head to meet her eyes, she turned the other direction. Jonghyun laughed and let go of her waist. “You’re so cute Jinhee. You still blush when I do that to you? Look, you’re all red!”

Jinhee cupped her face and whined. “It’s not funny!”

“It IS funny!” He grabbed her wrists and tried pulling her hands away from her face. “Aniyo! Stop!”

“Here, it’ll cool you down.” He splashed some water from the fountain onto her. “Yah!” she splashed water back onto him.

“Stop! I’m getting wet!” Jinhee said, stopping Jonghyun before he could splash more water onto her. He raised an eyebrow. “You’re wet?”

“Ah ert!” She shoved him slightly. She took off the cardigan she was wearing and placed it next to her.

“Thanks Jinhee.” Jonghyun smiled at her. “For?”

“For cheering me up.” She giggled. “But I didn’t even do anything?”

“Just being with you made me feel better. Thanks.” Jonghyun pulled her in for a hug, surprising her. She hugged him back, resting her head on his shoulder.

“How sweet.” A familiar voice said making them pull away from the hug. “Oh Key, hello! How long have you been standing there?” Jinhee asked.

“Long enough.” He smirked. “Kim Jonghyun I’ve been looking for you all over and this is where you’ve been? You had me worried!”

Jonghyun bowed down. “I’m very sorry Key-ssi.” He said playfully. Jinhee laughed and made her way back to class. “I’ll see you guys later. Bye Key! Bye Jonghyun oppa.” She smiled.

“Bye Jinhee.” Jonghyun waved.

“What happened to, I just need some air~” Key imitated Jonghyun from before. “I did get some air.”

“Mhm.” Key hummed. Jonghyun turned towards the place they were sitting before and realised that Jinhee had left her cardigan there. “Oh. Jinhee wait!” He grabbed the cardigan and ran in the direction Jinhee went.

“Yah! Wait for me!” Key called out. He hated running. So he walked fast. He saw Jonghyun stop when he reached the door leading back into the school.

Hmm? Why did he suddenly stop? He thought. Key jogged up to Jonghyun and tapped him on the shoulder. “What’s wrong?” He turned looked in the direction Jonghyun was staring at. “Oh.”

It was Jinhee. But Minho was there too. Coincidentally as Jinhee was walking back to class, Minho was walking by there too. Minho saw her and ran up to her.

“Could you pass this to Jinhee? Thanks …” Jonghyun said softly and passed the cardigan to Key. His eyes were no longer as bright as they were 2 minutes ago. He gave a faint smile and walked in the other direction, heading up the stairs.

Minho nodded at Key as he approached them. “Here Jinhee, your cardigan.”

“Oh! I must’ve left it there. Silly me. Actually it belongs to Minho oppa. Here” She gave it to Minho. “Thanks.”

“What? What was his cardigan with you?” Key raised an eyebrow. “He lent it to me the other day because I was cold.”

“Oh.” Key nodded. “Where’s Jonghyun oppa?”

“He left.” Key stopped in front of Jinhee, in between the two before leaving and said to Jinhee, “You look good together.”

Jinhee gave him a confused look as he walked away. She turned and saw Minho smiling back at her.

“I think so too.”

 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________