a glimpse of the past

everyday i fool the world

Water. I can't breathe. I fluttered my eyes as I frantically flung my arms around trying to keep my head above water. My head bobbed up and down, trying my best to still breathe in air. I saw a girl crying, looking at me. She was shouting at me and was calling for help. I sank once more but i struggled to get back up. I saw the girl again, but she was lying on the boat. Did she faint? I panicked. I was in great desire to help her. But how can I? When I can barely keep my head up. I sank once again, my arms ached, my feet are numb. I let out the breath I've been holding as I sank deeper into the dark water. It's so cold. I opened my eyes with the last energy I have left. I can see the bubbles formed from my breath. I can see the light fading away. I raised my arms to reach for it but I failed. As my body sensed it's need for dear oxygen, I involuntarily breathe in and felt water gushing inside. I blinked my eyes once more and my tears will forever be mixed in this water that chose to hold my soul in all eternity.

 

I sat up and took a deep breathe. I look around and saw that I was inside my room.

Breathe in. Breathe out.

I did my breathing exercises until I finally calmed down.

It's the same dream again. Water and a girl.

I don't have to be a genius to realize that the girl who was crying for me was Hearty.

It felt so real.

Did I drown before?

Is that why I remember being afraid of water and eventually I got some counselling?

I always practiced my breathing exercises whenever I feel stressed, afraid, or just to think straight.

The problem is, I don't remember a thing.

When I was a child, I thought it was just normal to be afraid of water knowing that I couldn't swim. Eversince, my parents enrolled me to swimming classes after I learned to control my fear of water. I loved water after that. I joined swimming competitions, engaged in water sports and travelled around the country looking for best resorts and hotels that offer wonderful beaches and pools.

It seems that my poor memory had been focusing a lot on certain memories and left out other ones.

I want to know the truth. 

I want to know what happened that summer.

I want to know Hearty and where she is right now.

I glanced at the clock.

7:30AM. 

Good. They're already awake by now.

I picked up my phone and called my mom. She answered after a few rings.

"Hi dear. Good morning! How's your summer so far? Did you enjoy it?" My mom asked. I can hear shuffling of paper in the background and some noise from plates being arranged. My parents are havinng breakfast and Daddy's reading the paper.

I told her that I was fine and that I met new friends and how I loved the kayak. She sounded happy and proud at the other line. But I have a feeling she knows everything I've done knowing I have the invisible men as my bodyguards.

"Uhmm mom. Can I ask you something?" I asked with a serious tone.

"Yes dear. What is it?" She said.

"When I was seven years old, I stayed here right?" I waited for her to speak. The shuffling of the papers stopped and seemed like they are now aware of what I was talking about.

"Yes dear. You loved the place." She said calmly.

"Why don't I remember anything? I just knew from the diary I left behind and now I'm having dreams that seemed to be from my past." I said with a little urgency in my voice. I can hear my mom taking a deep breath.

She sighed.

"Do you want us to go there and talk to you about that?"

"It's okay mom. We can just talk right now."

"No. We need to speak with you in person. Expect us to be there by early afternoon. Now, go eat some breakfast. See you later darling. Your daddy said hi. Bye." She said and I heard the beeping sound.

I guess, something really happened to me.

I went down and ate cereals. I'm in no mood to cook anything fancy to eat. 

I plopped down the sofa and stared at my phone. I sighed.

I can't text my Honey. It's only been a day and I'm missing her terribly. I placed my phone on the table and the TV. 

Nothing's interesting.

I stared at the ceiling and contemplated to take a bath or not.

Nahh. today I swear I'm not doing anything tododut, tododu. I just wanna lay in my bed, tododut, tododut.

I smiled as I sang Bruno's song.

I played some music and as I stared up again, I didn't notice that I was drifting off to dreamland once more, my now scary dream land.

 

Flowers. I sat up and noticed I was lying down in the field again. I saw Hearty standing some feet away from me. She was waving at me to come with her. I stood up and followed. Next thing I know we were seated in a boat and I was rowing. We were laughing, smiling at each other and splashing some water playfully. She was sitting in front of me, still wearing the heart necklace. There was light and the next thing I saw was that I was gasping for air in the water again. I tried to swim knowing that I can swim. But my body won't follow my command. I looked at my hands and saw that one of them is grasping something. I slowly opened it and saw the necklace. I struggled once more as my head went down. I started kicking my legs, moving my arms, but to no avail, I'm still sinking. I was sinking slowly into the bottom. Tok. Tok. Tok. What was that? I opened my eyes and having no more energy closed them back again.

 

I took in a lungful of air. Argh. I really hate being helpless.

Tok. Tok. Tok.

Wait, what's that sound.

I whipped my head to its source.

"Im Yoona. Open the door dear!" My mom shouted from the outside.

They're here already?

I got up and opened the front door.

My mom hugged me, followed by my dad. Robert smiled from behind, I smiled back.

"You smell dear. Why didn't you take a bath?" My mom inquired.

Today I don't feel like doing anything. Tododut. Tododut.

I just smiled and shrugged.

My father and I went to the living room while my mom and Robert prepared something in the kitchen.

"You don't have to come here for this dad. I mean, I'm just asking what happened." I started to talk while sitting on the couch.

My father looked uneasy while sitting on the couch opposite me.

"As I said, we need to be here dear." My mom saved him as she seated next to him. Robert was following her and placed juices and cookies in the table. He then sat next to me in the couch.

"Why is that?" I asked, totally curious.

My mom opened her purse and took out a small black box. She offered it to me.

"I think this will help." She said.

I took the box and opened it.

There was a necklace with a heart pendant inside. I picked up the necklace and examined it. Hearty.

"You were clutching on that necklace even after they pulled you out of the water and rescued you." My mom started crying and my dad hugged her with one arm.

"Yoona, we almost lost you that time. You dropped into the water and drowned. You didn't know how to swim yet. After that incident, you secluded yourself and seemed to be on shock." My father started talking. My mom started to calm down and looked at me with tears still flowing out from her eyes.

"You were so afraid of the water then. We didn't know what to do and took you to a psychiatrist. Remember Dr. Kho? You then started your sessions and eventually learned to control your fears." She said. I remember Dr. Kho, he was a great doctor, very friendly and handsome. I think of him as my brother.

"One thing he told us in secret is this. He discovered that you have forgotten the incident. He said that it was your way of defending yourself. You were unconsciously burying your traumatic exprerience within you. That is why you forgot. You forgot everything that summer and we never let you go back here ever since. You forgot this place."

I stared wide-eyed. 

Yes. I forgot this place. I forgot someone.

I stood up and hugged them both. Robert was drying his tears and I placed my hand on his back.

"It's okay mom. I'm strong now, I can handle it. Uhm, one more question. Have you ever known by any chance if I had a friend while I was staying here that summer?" I asked.

My parents looked at each other, puzzled.

I sighed.

I guess they don't

Robert turned to me.

"Now, I remember when I helped in rescuing you, there was a girl in that boat too. She fainted and had to be taken to the hospital with you."

I looked at him. Hearty.

My heart started beating fast.

"Do you know her?" I asked.

"Well, her parents immediately arrived. It seemed like the people knew her. She was rich I think, so her family was quite well known and was contacted. I never knew her name. Her parents talked to me and thanked me. They were good people but I can't remember their names." Robert frowned.

I looked disappointed and started playing with the necklace on my hand.

"Are you really okay dear?" My mom asked with sincere worry in her eyes.

I smiled at her.

"Of course mom. I just think that I will eventually remember all soon."

"I'm glad you took it well." My father smiled at me.

We ate lunch together and they decided to stay for the night. They made me took a bath saying that I smell bad. I sniffed on myself and for once I agreed with them. At around four I went out and drove my car, saying that I'll be back by dinner and had to go somewhere.

I was wearing Hearty's necklace. I was hoping to feel our connection and hopefully remember her. I clutched on the necklace feeling it on my hand.

I'll find you.

I really want to meet her again and see how's she's doing. Who knows if she suffered until now? I have to get rid of these unresolved conflicts and live my life at peace. My heart is nagging me on that special piece that is still missing. It keeps on beating hard whenever I think of her.

Be still my heart. We'll find her soon.

I arrived at my destination after asking for directions from the locals.

The hospital.

I glanced at the place as I parked my car.

Not that big but I can say that it looks good.

I went in and asked a nurse where to find the medical records section.

She smiled and showed me the way.

When I arrived at the office, the officer greeted and let me take a seat.

"Good afternoon miss. I'm John Erickson. How may I help you?" He smiled and asked as he sat on his chair opposite his desk. He was quite old but he looked healthy. He's around his fifties I bet.

"I'm Im Yoona. I'm having my vacation at my grandfather's place near the lake. My parents told me that I drowned when I was a child. I have no recollection of that and I would like to see if I can check my records." I politely replied.

"Oh, you must be Nathan's daughter. I've known your father before I got my job here, two years ago. Do you know what year it happened Ms. Im?" He inquired.

"I was seven that time so I guess it's on the year 2000." I stated hopefully.

"It's been a long way back. But don't worry, we will look for it. I would like you to sign this request form, so we can start working." He said while taking out a paper from his desk drawer.

"Thank you. So, when can I have it?" I asked as I signed the paper after I read what was written and handed it to him.

"You can come back here tomorrow." As he placed the paper in a filer.

"Uhm, is there any chance that it will state who was with me when I got here after the rescue?"

"Yes. I think so. It should be reflected who brought you here in the hospital." He stated.

"Thank you so much sir. I will come back tomorrow." I smiled and rose up.

"You're welcome and please send my greetings to your dad." He smiled.

I went out of the office and headed to my car.

I smiled while I was driving slowly to go back home.

Tomorrow. We will meet again tomorrow, Hearty.