marked in time

everyday i fool the world

My parents dragged me out of the house to attend some party somewhere in town. I never knew they had friends here and I really hoped I could've stayed home and mourn some more.

The weather seemed perfect as what my mom said as perfect for a garden party.

I am not really fond of these events but the feeling of obligation to heed my parents request is too overwhelming for me to disobey.

They let me dress neatly with the most presentable ensemble my mom could find in my closet. She had been having a hard time choosing since the clothes I had were not really inclined with her fashion.

"Yoona dear, I packed your luggage before, I'm quite sure I placed some summer dresses here." Mom grumbled as she raided my closet. I was still in bed, hoping they will just leave without me.

"I left them at home mom, when I went home before I went island hopping. I changed my wardrobe." I nonchalantly said as I shifted for a better position.

"If you look clearly at what's left here, they are all the same! Shorts, pants, shirts!" My mom said exasperated.

I chuckled amusingly at her. She had her hands on her hips and her floral dress was flowing from the wind through the open balcony door.

"This isn't funny young lady. What are you going to wear now?" She sat on the edge of my bed.

"Mom, it's summer. They won't expect a teenager like me to come at events like that. It's okay to leave me here." I said, raising my point.

"Ha! Leave you here? Look at you! You haven't left this bed---- dear God!" She exclaimed and turned around to face me, her face filled with horror.

I was taken aback and my eyes went wide and raised my brows in surprise.

"What?" I asked my mom who looked comical with her reaction.

She narrowed her eyes at me and stood up to sniff me.

She sniffed me!

"You didn't shower, didn't you!" She exclaimed again as she covered her nose with one hand and the other pointing at me as she backed away from me, nearly knocking off some perfumes on my counter.

I laughed so hard I almost fell off the bed while she just stood there away from me.

I stood up and went to hug her. She ran around the room holding my stool as a weapon.

"Don't you dare hug me Yoong! I just showered!" She said as she backed off in defense.

I just continued laughing there on the spot.

Gosh. My mom is like a kid, really!

She quickly grabbed the opportunity while I was holding my knees for support from the intense laughing session and shoved me in my bathroom.

"You are not coming out if you don't take a shower. I'm dead serious young lady!"

I heard my mom yelling from outside.

I just turned around and faced myself in the mirror.

Do I really smell that bad?

I raised my right arm and smelled my armpit.

Bad.

Hoping that it was just my thinking, I smelled my other armpit.

Oookay, so I really need to shower. How did I ever get this stinky?

Then it hit me.

I stayed in bed for two straight days already. No wonder I smell like this.

I tried to open the door but teh door is locked. I sighed and decided to take a shower. I'm pretty sure mom won't let me out if I don't shower. She's somewhat allergic to dirty things including her own daughter who haven't showered. I smiled at the thought.

They really know how to cheer me up.

Since my mom forced me to take a shower, I made sure to take it nice and slow. After an hour I finally got tired with the act since I normally shower quickly. I knocked on the door to let mom open the door for me.

"Mom! I'm done now!" I yelled.

I heard some movement.

"Stick you hand out first." She said as she opened the door a little just to let my hand pass.

She inspected my hand.

"Now, stick your foot."

I did what she said and rolled my eyes.

"Ok, you're clear." She said as she opened the door fully.

"Gosh mom. You make me feel like a prisoner trying to smuggle weapons." I laughed a bit and she just shrugged off.

"Well, wear these. I give up finding you something else already. Just look presentable." She said as she stood up from the bed.

She hugged me tight.

"Well, dress up little princess. We are going to a ball." She teased and I groaned.

"Mom, I'm not a kid anymore. Why are you hugging me? I thought you don't want to since you were running away from me." I countered.

She laughed heartily.

"Uhm, since the little princess is already clean, the queen is now allowed to hug her. No objections dear, mom knows best!" She chirped and went out the room.

"I don't see if that fits in this case." I said and dressed up in the knee length shorts and white button up shirt she prepared for me. I applied some of my beauty products and some perfume.

I looked at myself in the mirror.

Hmmm. Not bad.

I went downstairs and saw them waiting for me in the living room.

"Hurry dear, we're running late." My mom said as we quickly went out the house.

My dad passed me my car key as we walked in the flower field.

"My car's here?" I asked rather dumbly.

"I told you before Yoong. Well, you can drive your car on the way there but, you must follow us closely. Okay?" My dad said.

I nodded and smiled at them as I found my way to my car.

Hello baby. I missed you. Still as beautiful as ever.

 I complimented my car as I went in.

I followed them closely though I really wanted to drive off somewhere else.

I was tailing them down for a long time now and I really wonder where we're going.

We finally arrived at a big house with a fountain in front of it.

The place look lavish and I can tell folks here are rich.

I followed my parents and Robert as they went in.

The inside of the house look grand, though a bit old fashioned, I guess this is an old family house of some sort.

We were guided toward the garden at the back and I can see people huddled in tables of food and of course, tea.

My parents was walking with me following closely behind, while I saw Robert chatting with someone.

They finally stopped and greeted an old lady with a straw hat and a pale pink knee-length dress, looking sophisticated.

"Hello Madam Choi. It is an honor to be invited to your party." My dad said courteously.

"Of course dear. Your parents are our closest friends, you are almost a son to me." The lady smiled and hugged both my parents.

"Well, who is this beautiful lady? I haven't seen her before." Madam Choi was smiling as she went in front of me.

"This is my daughter Yoona, Madam Choi." My mom said.

I smiled timidly.

"Hello, good day Madam Choi. My name's Yoona. I am very pleased to meet you." I smiled lady-like.

Gosh. I wonder how my mom deal with these kind of events. I don't feel like myself here.

"What a wonderful young lady. I have a grand daughter and I think she's almost same as your age. Maybe you would like to join her and her friends in the west part of the garden?" She said and smiled elegantly at me.

I just smiled back.

"I think I'll just stay here with my mom." I replied gently.

After few more introductions to people whom I've never known and names that I have forgotten right after I turn my back on them, I decided to sit down and eat something.

I watched at all the people socializing and I stared at my parents, laughing and talking to a couple almost same as their age. They seem to enjoy these things a lot. I wonder if I'll ever develop some commitment in keeping the family name afloat through socializing with these kind of people. Sometimes I wish to have siblings and let them handle these for me.

I sighed and ate another sandwich.

I turned my head around and realized how big the garden is!

It even have a little maze at the center. No wonder Madam Choi said something like the west garden or like that.

It's even bigger than the garden we have at home and slightly bigger than my grandma's.

I decided to tour around and walk alone.

I got a plate and placed some sandwiches and fruits for my 'journey'.

Hmmm. Since Madam Choi said her granddaughter and her friends are staying on the west, I should go to the east!

I smirked and started walking with my plate of food with me.

The East Garden was so cute. It has a pond with a bridge over it. There were fishes in the water too. I stood at the bridge and looked at my reflection in the water below. Just as I was concentrating looking at a koi that was near my reflection in the water, another face appeared next to my reflection.

To my horror, I nearly threw my plate of food away and ran off. But I was rooted to the ground and quickly turned my head to the space beside me.

Please, please, please be a normal human being! A breathing, talking, walking human being!

My eyes got wide as I saw the person beside me.

"Hey Yoona. Are you okay?" I stared at the owner of the voice, unable to tear away my eyes from her.

"Yoona?" She called out again.

I shook my head and mentally face palmed myself for being weird again.

I tried to smile.

"Oh Yuri. Yes, I'm okay. Nice seeing you here." I started.

"Yes, Sooyoung wanted the girls to meet." She replied.

"Sooyoung? Why would Sooyoung invite you here? She lives here?" I asked.

"Uhm, don't you know who's house and garden you're staying in?" She gave me an amused smile.

"But, it's Madam Choi's----" I stopped and smiled awkwardly.

Madam Choi, Choi Sooyoung.. Madam Choi's granddaughter and her friends.. Sooyoung and Yuri are friends.. that means ---- Sooyoung is Madam Choi's granddaughter. Gosh. Where's my brain? I should really stop sulking, not good for me.

"I think you got it now?" Yuri smiled sweetly at me and I just smiled back.

I don't know but I feel so happy seeing her here. I realized just how much I missed her.

We just stood there in the middle of the bridge, listening to each other's silence.

"Uhm, Yuri. Sooyoung and the others are at the West Garden, right? Why are you here?" I asked as we both ate my food.

"Well. I wanted to be alone." She quietly replied.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I'll just leave you now." I said dejectedly, it hurts. I turned around to walk away when I felt her hand tugging on mine.

I faced her with sad eyes but she was smiling at me. I don't understand.

"Aren't you going to ask me why I wanted to be alone?" She started.

"Okay, why do you want to be alone?" I said with little energy.

"Uhm, I wanted to be alone in this pond because it reminds me of the lake." She said as she stopped looking at the fishes and faced me.

"I already miss the lake because I missed someone terribly and I greatly remember her through the lake." She said to me.

My mind started to process what she said.

My eyes widened a bit and how I wished I never knew.

Toothy.

Of course it's her! Who else?

I unconsciously pouted.

Toothy one point. That makes us even! Hmp.

I need something to comfort me. I got the last two sandwiches and stuffed it inside my mouth.

I saw Yuri's eyes went bigger as she saw me gobble up the food.

"Are you okay?" She said with worry as I successfully swallowed the food.

"Yeah, I'm just a stress eater." I said and placed the plate on a bench. She followed me and we sat in the bench together.

"So, you're stressed?" She asked. I faced her.

"Yeah, a little. But you have nothing to worry about." I smiled at her.

"Oh okay. Uhm, aren't you going to ask me who was the person I missed?" Yuri smiled at me.

It's Toothy. I don't want to ask, I'll just get hurt!

But since I like you, you're worth the pain.

"Okay. Uhm, so who did you miss?" I asked quietly and looked at the ground.

I felt a hand intertwining with mine which made me look up and meet smiling Yuri's eyes.

"I missed you. I missed you so much Im Yoona." She said and leaned her head gently on my shoulder.

Here it is again, the feeling of butterflies in my tummy, my heart speeding up again.

I feel so happy I think I'm going to burst!

Take that Toothy! hahahaha!

I smiled genuinely this time and squeezed her hand lightly.

"I missed you too Kwon Yuri."

She looked up and flashed another smile at me.

She should really stop smiling at me like that, I think I'm going to combust soon with how hot I'm feeling.

"You know, I felt sad when I didn't see you for days. Where were you?" She asked with a little pain in her voice.

"I was at home." Crying my heart out for my Honey because I broke her heart.

My mind wanted to add, it's a good thing I didn't say that out loud.

I saw her face flash sadness as she loosened her grip on me.

"You didn't tell me. I could've visited you." She said quietly and pouted.

"Haha. It's okay Yuri. I'm sorry." I said and held her hand tightly.

She smiled a bit and leaned her head on my shoulder again as she looked at the pond.

"Do you like fishes Yuri?"

"Yes."

"Then, maybe I should take you with me next time I go snorkelling or diving." I said, waiting for a yes.

"I'd love to." She said and kissed my cheek and leaned back again.

I'm blushing different shades of red now. Whew.

I was speechless to say the least.

Suddenly, she stood up and dragged me back to the bridge.

She kept on admiring the fishes there.

I looked at the fishes mimicking their mouth.

Then, a loud laugh broke my train of thoughts.

I looked at the laughing Yuri quizzicaly.

"You looked like a fish. hahaha!" She laughed while still holding my hand and the other covering .

"This?" I said and did the pose again.

She nodded and laughed hard. I smiled and just waited for her to stop.

"You looked like a flounder fish." She said when she finally calmed down.

I pouted.

"I look like a flounder fish? Do I look that bad?" I said.

She smiled and kissed my cheek again

"Nope. You're the cutest flounder fish for me."

Then she leaned her head on my shoulder and hugged my arm.

I smiled unconsciously.

I could be whatever fish for you Yuri, just for you.