best friends

everyday i fool the world

“Should I call them or not?” Yoona cannot make up her mind as she laid on her bed. It was late morning and she had taken the time to make herself ready. Besides, it is her summer break, she should let loose and enjoy herself. No projects and no schoolwork sound like heaven. But one thing she missed is having the cousins with her all the time. And now that Yuri has come back into her life and she feels like her heart is slowly mending itself, she suddenly missed the two midgets who stuck with her thick or thin, hugging her when the loneliness is eating her inside out and making her laugh when the tears are ready to fall. She missed her best friends, her unnies. Before her eyes get misty with her emotions, her phone buzzed signalling a call.

“Giant baby, are you busy?” Came the over-excited voice at the other end of the line. Why was she being overdramatic a few minutes ago again? She rolled her eyes as she can picture Hyo with the crazy morning hair she has every time she wakes up.

“I’m busy now that you’re asking.” Yoona smirked as she can hear the frustrated huff and probably the rolling of the eyes as well that accompanied the sound.

“Fine. No ice cream for you then.” Then the line cut-off.

Yoona stared at her screen in surprise. Did she just hang up on me? And did she just mention ice cream?

She redialled the number, but Hyo did not bother to answer the call. So, she tried her Tae-unnie instead. After a couple of rings, someone finally answered.

“Where are you?” Yoona asked.

“Oh, good morning to you too Yoong! How are you today? Me? I’m perfectly fine, thank you for asking, not that you bothered.” Sarcasm, just sarcasm dripping with every word, making Yoona sigh.

“Okay, okay, I’m sorry unnie. Good morning! Are you by any chance, with Hyoyeon unnie right now?” Yoona honestly tried to sound genuinely sweet but it ended up sounding so cringey she flinched herself.

“Yes. Of course, who else would I spend my days but with this girl. And that is because of our blood relation, not that we have any choice about it as our dongsaeng has clearly forgotten her unnies only a few days into the vacation.” There goes the guilt-tripping these two have mastered all these years.

“May I remind you of the sheer hurt you have caused my cousin who is now ignoring your calls as she deems herself unimportant to your busy self?” These two should really get themselves checked in the head.

“I’m sorry unnie. Forgive me please!” Yoona said with the moist aegyo she can muster in her voice without vomiting.

“Stop that aegyo Yoona you’re killing us. Don’t make me throw up my ice cream!” She can faintly hear Hyo’s voice. She must be on speaker. She gave a full-hearted laugh. Yoona-1 Unnies-0.

“So, where are you guys? Can I come?” Yoona asked as she stood up from her bed, getting herself ready. After a few minutes of silence, she thought they have ended the call when two giggling voices shouted over the phone, “NO!” and once again, they hang up on her.

Yoona smirked as she looked in the mirror. Get ready unnies, I am coming. Whether you like it, or not.

*

“That kid should really respect us more, we are her unnies!” Hyo said as she laid back to her beach chair, focusing back to her melting ice cream. They are both in the beachfront of a hotel their family owns. Their parents have decided for them to stay there with the kids for most of the summer break, as they have started renovations for their homes. No complaints on the cousins for the unlimited sunshine and room service.

“Don’t you think we were a bit harsh there? She had a tough year.” Tae said, stretching, getting ready for a nap.

“And treating her like a baby will not benefit her in the long run. Tough love is the key. I tell you.”

Tae just nodded. Tough love indeed. They do not know what happened as Yoona never formally discussed with them the reason for her sudden melancholy. It was like someone had suddenly taken away the sun in their friend’s eyes. Those doe eyes that sparkles with enthusiasm, youth, warmth and joy have lost its usual shine. There were times when they get the old Yoona back, but it was like Yoona must exert so much effort to have that energy. Their darling dongsaeng, has been suffering deep down, and they do not know if they are enough to see this through.

*

The sun was high up in the sky, the soft refreshing breeze blowing, their massive breach umbrella partially shielding them from the harsh rays, but they can still enjoy the sunshine. What else can you ask for? They might get a tan this year, thought the cousins as they blissfully succumb themselves to a wonderful nap. This is what a summer break is all about. Pure bliss.

Until you can hear their blood curdling scream from the other side of the property. It sounded like they are getting slaughtered, making the security guards run towards the sound.

Then the alligator laughs just filled the air. Non-stop squealing and shouting but the laugher of the culprit drowns the victims’ noisy complaints.

The cousins stood there dripping wet from head to toe after Yoona, their beloved dongsaeng who is currently struggling to breathe with all the laughing, threw a bucketful of cold with bits of ice cubes water at the both of them.

Their body cannot seem to decide if it was cold or hot as they started chasing Yoona at the beach with the burning sand on their bare feet and the wind getting cold now on their wet skin.

“IM YOONAAAAAAAAAAA!!!”

And the alligator laugh just continues.

*

“How on earth did you even find us?” Tae said as they finally agreed not to kill Yoona. They are all playing in the water, just like kids.

“I located your phones via Google map.” Yoona said cheekily.

“And who gave you permission to do that?” Hyo’s eyebrow raised in question.

“Remember when I used to go on long walks when we were in school and you were afraid that I could get lost the first few weeks we were there? You must have forgotten but we decided to turn that feature on just in case something happens.”

“Why is it still on now? Turn it off you creep.” Tae said as she flicked some water towards me.

Yoona just stuck her tongue out at Tae.

They were standing at water just above their waist level, well for the cousin’s waist level if we factor in their height difference with Yoona.

Tae was struggling to get herself on her watermelon ice lolly designed floatie. And Hyo was trying to push her in, making Yoona laugh out loud again.

“Can’t you just help instead of laughing at our misery?” Tae said with muffled voice as her face is planted on the plastic floatie while half of her body is still trying to get on the thing.

“You guys are too serious sometimes; you are both now officially old.” Yoona said as she walked towards the two.

With Yoona’s help, they managed to put Tae comfortably on the floatie. She is now as happy as a child on Christmas morning opening her presents as she put her shades on to shield her eyes.

“This is boring.” Hyo said as she looked at Tae just floating there.

“Jet skis?” Yoona said and the two shared a knowing smile as they both ran towards the shore leaving the other girl dumbfounded.

“You’re just going to leave me here?!”

*

Safe to say, they had more fun with the jet skis. The three of them started out with different jet skis at first until Tae got tired and just hitched behind Hyo who did not mind as that is just how it is in their lives, always together forever and ever.

*

“We forgot to have lunch.” Hyo announced as they stepped in the private hall both of their parents are sitting in. They look like they are playing Monopoly. It was now three in the afternoon.

“Oh, Yoona dear, good job on the cold bucket prank.” Hyo’s mom gave Yoona a smile as they walked past.

“Are your parents at home Yoona? Please invite them over for us, so I can finally have a decent challenge in this game.” Tae’s dad was laughing heartily as his brother was sending him death glares.

“Not yet uncle. But I will let them know once they arrive.” She smiled at the man. She was always at ease with the cousins’ families.

“Yah Yoona I’m eating your chicken!” Hyo shouted from the other side of the hall and that was Yoona’s cue to move along, leaving the adults to their childlike game.

*

“Yoong, have you seen the others since we came back?” Tae said in a serious tone. They were now sat outside one of the cafés of the hotel at the beach side.

“What do you mean others? Sound scary, like you are talking about ghosts or something.” Hyo said and earned a smack to her shoulder from Tae. Seriously they cannot even talk without fooling around.

“I meant Yuri and her friends. I remember this time of the year last year during our summer break after graduation we did have some fun with them.”

“Oh yeah. I see what you mean. I miss those girls. Always fun to be around.” Hyo said as she sipped on her juice.

“Well, I saw them at Yuri’s house the other day. They were having a pool party and they invited me in.” Yoona said as she ate a crisp.

The cousins just looked at her with mocking eyes. How dare she.

“And you never even thought of telling us about it. We miss them as well you know.” Tae rolled her eyes.

“I wanted to invite you unnies, but I didn’t want to impose on Yuri’s parents. The girls did ask about you guys and said they will definitely invite you over the next time.”

“Oh! You’ve met her parents?” Hyo said.

“Yes, I did, they were cool.” Yoona said sipping her soda. “Why?”

“Oh nothing. I met her dad once I think, in the states. Remember that one time I was stressing out about a project we had at school about presenting a business proposal to business tycoons around the world? I got him.”

“And?” Tae asked. They suddenly got curious what Hyo had to say.

“He was nice. I mean he was very professional, and he was a bit cold at first. Then he warmed up after we started talking about his feedback on my project and what I can do to improve it. He said I did pretty well, but he was brilliant when he was giving me tips on how to do things later when I would be heading my own business.”

The other two just stared at her and nodded their heads. They remember that hellish two weeks where Hyo would stay up so late preparing for the project that both ended staying up with her.

“I wonder how he is as a father. That did not really cross my mind until later that Yuri was his daughter. Would you think that was a good starter, saying I’m his daughter’s friend?” Hyo chuckled at the thought how awkward it would have been.

Tae dismissed the idea with a wave of a hand and focused back to her drink.

“I think you did brilliantly there, even without using Yuri’s name. Besides not all projects can be won through personal connections.”

“Easy for you to say, you had my dad.” Yoona rolled her eyes. While Hyo was frantic about the project, Tae being the lazy fairy just floated about and let everything just go with the flow. Que sera sera.

Lucky for her she got Yoona’s dad to speak to and it was a fun night the two had. While Yoona herself got a French hotelier who she had to take advance French language classes for a month to prepare and in the end the man did not even bother talking in French. He said he was in the mood to speak English, so they did.

“Daddy was unhappy about missing the event.” Hyo said. “So was uncle.”

“They could have seen us in action. See how we were progressing. See how serious we were.” Tae said in conviction.

The cousins were begging their parents for a pair of customized diamond encrusted watches, but their parents dismissed the idea of them having it as they will lose it one way or the other knowing how childish their kids can be. They said that if they mature a bit, they will give them a chance, so the cousins were hoping to showcase their maturity during that project, but their parents were busy with other pre planned business activities.

Yoona can only laugh at her unnies. She is looking forward to the day they act maturely, and that is not anytime soon.

*

“How was your day?”

Yoona smiled as she was walking back to her house after driving home from the hotel. She finally had the chance to talk to the love of her life.

“Awesome fun with the unnies. And how about you honey?” She was making a beeline towards the kitchen, hungry again from the hour drive back.

“I was bored to say the least. I have no intention of joining my father again to any of his business activities. I thought they would just let me be by myself, but they were adamant to include me in every conversation.” Yoona can see the pout in her mind. How she would love to kiss that pout away.

“Why were you there in the first place?” Yoona giggled as she threw the question. Her father would have to drag her out the house if he would announce to have her in one of his meetings.

“Training.” Yuri’s voice sounded drained. I guess they want her to know the dealings in the business as early as now.

“I wish you were with us earlier on. They missed you and the girls as well.” Yoona was now munching on an apple.

“Well, should we set a date for everyone to meet up? I mean, I do not have a lot of things to do. I think that meeting was just a onetime thing.” Yuri said, slightly optimistic of the thought.

“Yes! Let us do that!” Yoona made her way to watch a movie when she realized the line has been silent for a while.

“Honey?”

“Yuri?” She whispered. Is she okay?

“Oh yes, honey I’m still here. I’m just getting ready to have a shower.”

Naughty thoughts started invading Yoona’s head. She shook her head in disbelief. My God, what have I become? She gulped.

“Do you want me to call back?” She said, now unable to focus on what movie she was going to watch.

“Aaawe, don’t you want to stay in the line while I shower? It won’t be long.” Yuri said, nonchalantly.

It is probably an innocent request but Yoona’s wild mind has been going in all directions on what is going on in the other side of the line.

“Okay honey.” Yoona said quietly as she can hear the water on the other side. The movie on Yoona’s head powered with her imagination and extreme love for Yuri is now more entertaining than any of the movie listed on the screen on her telly.

*

“That was good fun today.” Tae said as she was getting ready for their movie marathon.

“Yes, I’ve missed that kid already. I didn’t even know.” Hyo said as she plopped on the other side of the bed.

They were silent for a bit when Hyo cleared .

“Tae how would you feel if our parents ask us to run the business?”

Tae turned towards her cousin.

“Isn’t that why we are studying business?” Tae said incredulously.

“No. I mean. Like tomorrow or something.”

“Why would they do that? I mean look at us.” They both shared a chuckle.

“Like health reasons or something. I don’t know.” Hyo said.

“What is this really about Hyo?”

“Well, Yuri’s father mentioned about knowing when to step aside and always treasure your health when running a business. It sounded to me like he was retiring soon.” Hyo shrugged her shoulders.

Tae shook her head. They do not know about that. What would they know?

As the movie started, they both forgot what they have discussed.

*

“Did it go well?”

“Yes. It did. Yuri did well. But I can sense she was getting bored.” He chuckled and faced his wife.

“She will get used to it.” She reassured him.

“Hopefully. Hopefully soon.”

He felt his wife holding his hand.

“When is our next appointment?” He asked quietly.

“I took care of it. I’ve let the doctors know.”

“Good.”

**