not anymore

everyday i fool the world

“Yoong, your ride’s here.” Hyo-unnie pointed to the black limo parked at two cars away from theirs. Just as expected, our families knew about our arrival even without our notice.

“I know. Thanks for everything unnies. See you around.” I said as I hugged them both before I headed towards the car, letting the driver carry my luggage. Sometimes, being at home has a lot of privileges than staying abroad.

I was about to enter when I heard Tae-unnie shout.

“Meet you at Ice!”

I shook my head and gave a low chuckle as she finally went in and let their car move.  I went in and marvelled at the new car. I wonder if they changed the house too. Luckily they sent our old driver to fetch me; it would be a lot of trouble if they let a stranger pick me up from the airport.

“Welcome back miss. Where are we headed?” He inquired and I gave him a smile of gratitude.

“Thank you for fetching me. Let’s go home.” I said and relaxed at my seat. Slowly our ride started and it lulled me to sleep. I jerked up when my phone started ringing.

“Yes, mom. Okay. Yes it’s fine. Of course. I love you too. Bye.” I sighed when I realized my parents are going overseas. They haven’t seen me yet! Well, they’ve been visiting me every month so I don’t really have a particular grudge over it.

It was hard falling back to sleep, so I stayed up looking outside the window like I always do. The city didn’t really change that much. But what do you expect from only a year of absence? Well, you can’t really tell. Some things change every tick of the clock and others stay still even for a lifetime.

The car passed through a quiet street lined with cafés and people sipping their coffees outdoors. It wasn’t that amusing since it’s not that rare but my attention was caught by a group of girls playfully talking to each other. I remember them and I remember her. I gave a small smile, both reflecting my longing and happiness.

My heart felt heavy once more and I wanted some release. So I talked to my driver with my change of plans.

“I’m sorry but could you take me out to the beach first?”

*

“Tiff, why do you have to wear that?” Sooyoung inquired looking at Tiffany who was pink from head to toe.

“What? I love pink.” She just shrugged off and continued to tidy up her luggage.

“And you just have to scream it to the world.” Sunny’s sarcasm fell on deaf ears for the person she was talking to was too immersed in her mission to close her heaping bag.

“I can’t close it.” She puffed.

“We can see that, don’t worry.” Sunny rolled her eyes.

“Why do you have to buy so much?” Sooyoung said and marched over to help close the bag.

“I just had to!”

I tore away my eyes from the two struggling girls and scanned my apartment for the last time. Well, not much but I’m going to miss the place.

“Unnie, your friend’s here.” Seo said as she opened the door.

“Okay I’ll be right there.” I answered. I don’t know who this friend is but I have a big hunch that it’s Dan.

“Hi Ms. Yuri.” He greeted with a friendly smile.

“You’re back with the ‘miss’ again.” I smirked and let him inside. He just grinned.

“How long are you going to be away?” He asked quietly as he sat on the couch.

“The whole break. Want to drink something?” I started moving towards the kitchen.

“No. Actually I just came here to say goodbye.” I looked back to where he was.

“You have no other friends than me, don’t you?” I smirked and laughed as he shook his head.

“Well, none that matters much.” He shrugged.

“Get straight to the point Mr. Dan.” I said and crossed my arms.

“You’ll be gone right? So I have no reason to stay too. I’ll be going away for a vacation.” He smiled.

“No reason to stay? You sound like I’m the only reason you’re here.” I laughed aloud and he did too. He’s funny.

“I’m kidding on that part but I’m really leaving. So, what time are you going?” He asked.

“I don’t know. As long as the others are ready I guess.” I said and completely forgot about the drinks.

We were silent for some time until he cleared his throat bashfully.

“I think I got to go now.” He said and pointed to the door’s direction.

“Yeah, I might as well check on the girls upstairs.” I smiled and led him out.

We stood there by the doorway as we said our goodbyes. But I was left standing there for a little while even if he went away, with the replay of our last minute together playing on loop inside my brain.

“So this is it. Goodbye Dan. Take care.” I said as I held the door for him. He smiled gently at me as he faced me.

“Goodbye Yuri. I hope next time we meet, you have your heart back together again.” He smiled sheepishly and I grinned.

“I’ll try.”

“Then maybe I can win your heart next time.” He smiled and leaned in as he kissed me on my cheek.

I placed my hand on top of my chest. It just won’t slow down.

What’s happening to me?

*

I pressed my palm on the sand and revelled at the feeling.

I just came back but then I feel like I need to go away again.

The fair skies turned dark and I immediately regretted the decision of making my driver leave me here.

I sighed. What a nice welcome.

I stayed there on the secluded side of the beach and the populated area where I can actually be saved from the rain will take a couple of minutes.

I looked out to the sea, marvelling at the sight of the waves as it crashed on the rocks nearby.

I buried my toes deeper into the sand to keep it warm against the wind that started to get cold.

At the same time, I folded my arms around me. My shirt is nothing against the cold wind pestering me.

One by one the rain fell and I glanced up to feel it hit my face; like a soft caress.

But the cold rain didn’t match the warm liquid flowing from my eyes. I bit my lip to stop myself from crying hard but I couldn’t help myself.

I broke down, head down into my arms that at the same time were hugging my knees.

I was actually enjoying the moment alone though the cold was a bit harsh.

Until I can no longer feel the rain.

Huh? It stopped already?

I looked up and see an umbrella over me. I was confused.

I shifted my gaze to the one holding it and I was met with a warm smile.

I gave her a smile.

Something I haven’t given anyone for quite some time now.

*

My mind was so confused but I was so happy with the rush to the airport because it kept my mind away from those things.

“Are you okay Yuri?” Sunny who sat beside me asked as she looked up from her game.

“I’m okay.” I gave her a smile and she continued playing.

It’ll be a long flight and I looked around my friends and smiled as I saw them comfortably seated, enjoying their time alone.

I plugged in my earphones and listened to the music.

I felt a sudden pang of pain as a familiar melody filled my ears.

"Do you."

"Uhm, it's Do You by Yiruma."

Her voice echoed inside my head and I can only look outside the window to hide my tears.

I placed a pillow under the side of my face as I continued to gaze outside. Oh how I miss the moment when I laid my head on your shoulder.

*

“Thank you.” I said as we adjusted ourselves to fit under the umbrella.

“It’s okay. I just couldn’t let you sit there under the rain.” She smiled.

“You must be really good to help a stranger like me.” I smiled back as we slowly made way towards the populated area.

“Well, you can tell me your name so you won’t be a stranger anymore.” We both laughed and I felt myself getting at ease with her. I stopped walking and stood face to face with her.

“I’m Im Yoona, your wet stranger.” I giggled and offered my hand for a handshake.

“Jung Krystal, your umbrella girl.” We shook hands and I enjoyed the simple moment of warmth. She laughed when we broke our handshake.

“Your hands are like ice!”

I giggled and blew my breath into my hands. “I’m sorry.” I smiled.

“Here, let this give you some warmth.” She said as she tangled her fingers with mine. It was a small contact but the warmth spread throughout my body completely.

“Thanks.” I smiled shyly as we walked off again; my brain reminiscing the times when a different hand gave me warmth like this.

*

“Yul, aren’t you tired? Just stay here. The rain’s pouring like buckets!”

We just arrived an hour ago and the rain was terrible. But the storm inside my heart was too much for me to bear. It was getting dark outside as I donned on a coat and my shoes.

“I’ll be back before you know it!” I yelled, ready to open the door. The girls were eating when I decided to go out. We are now staying temporarily at my house here in the city.

“Bring an umbrella at least.”

I halted as I heard that solemn voice and nodded, careful to give her a small grateful smile before heading out.

“Thanks Sica.”

I waited for our driver to open the door for me.

“Where do you want to go miss?”

I told him the address. He carefully drove off though I saw a disapproving look flash a moment in his face.

*

I felt warm and happy as we sat here at a café, sipping hot choco and telling stories to each other. We were seated just beside the glass wall and the rain’s still not giving up.

“I have this cousin who looks a bit like you.” She said and I smiled.

“I must have a very common face.” I grinned.

“I don’t think so. But I like seeing you smile.” She confessed, placing her cup down the table.

“Why?”

“Because somehow I can see her smiling too. It’s been a while since we last saw each other. She’s been busy.” She smiled and it made me smile too.

“Then I’ll keep on smiling for you.”

Hours passed and I was completely dry. We decided it was time to go.

“I’’ll pay.” We both said at the same time then we burst out laughing.

“Let me. As a payment for saving me from the rain and keeping me company.” I offered. She was about to retaliate when I cut her off.

“I won’t take no as an answer.” I grinned when she finally gave in.

*

The rain was not as harsh so my driver finally agreed to let me go on my own.

I’ll probably enjoy the feeling of walking under the rain but there will be too many people to lecture me when I get home. So I opted to walk under my umbrella.

I stood there at the seawall for a moment; watching at the waves intently as they hit the side.

I wonder why the sound of water always calms my mind. The sight of it brings peace into me.

Just then my phone rang and I just have to answer.

“Yes mom?—okay, I’ll be home soon.” I sighed as I ended the call. It seems like my parents are home and they’re dying to see me.

I better start walking.

*

I waved goodbye to Krystal and waited for a cab. She insisted on waiting with me because the rain was still pouring but I decided it was rather late for her to do so.

A lot of people were waiting for a cab and my competitive nature started to show. A cab showed up at the curb and people ran towards it, including me.

Arrgh. Only if I didn’t send my driver home!

I huffed in frustration as a man beat me into it. I’m now starting to get soaked by the rain again. I turned to run for some shelter when I bumped someone. I fell on my . I was a bit angry at myself for being clumsy and as we both said sorry, he went off the different direction, leaving me there standing in the rain.

Great. I just got dry now I’m wet and cold again.

“You can share my umbrella with me.” A girl’s voice said and I prepared a smile before turning towards her.

I’m so lucky getting umbrella offers twice in a day!

“Thank you.” I said but my smile dropped as well as hers when we realized who we’re talking to.

Everything seemed to stop, with both of us standing in the rain, with an umbrella tilted to my head.

My heart started to beat faster and faster I think I might just suffer from a heart attack.

What will you do when you see the person you’ve been missing standing there in front of you?

Will you hug her? Kiss her? Hold her?

But what if, you realize, she’s not yours anymore?