getaway

everyday i fool the world

 

I slung my backpack in my shoulders and waved goodbye to Robert who was kind enough to bring me here. I turned around and listened to the sound of waves and the seagulls flying high above the waves. I looked up to the bright sun and adjusted my sunglasses. I let out a puff of breath.

I hope this will be good.

I started walking, looking at the different yachts and boats parked on the side of the deck. The sun felt warm on my skin and I can smell the salty ocean breeze. A totally new feeling away from that sleepy lake town I spent my earlier days.

I wore beach shorts, sleeveless top and slippers. Now, this is summer.

I spotted the all familiar vessel a few steps from me. I can already hear the loud music and some laughter on deck. I smiled.

“Hey Yoong!” a white-skinned girl called up to me while I climbed aboard the yacht.

When I was near I looked straight ahead totally missing the girl who was way below my line of sight.

“Oh, I thought someone called me, but I can see no one.” I said aloud and smiled.

“Hey! You mean kid! That’s no way to greet an unnie!” Taeyeon pulled my right ear and brought my face down so we can be at eye level.

I laughed hard.

“Ouch. Ouch. You can let go now. I’m sorry unnie.” I pouted and smiled at her.

“You better not do it again Im Yoona, or you’ll be swimming all the way back home!” She replied as she let my reddened ear go.

My laugh brought people out to greet us.

“Look who finally showed up!” Hyoyeon said while head-locking me with her strong arms.

Now, I have to deal with this other Kim too. Gosh. They can be so physically draining at times.

“I’m sorry okay. Let go already. My precious neck is bending way down because you’re too short!” I teased. Uh-oh. Bad move.

One thing about the Kim cousins, never and I mean never say anything about their height.

“WHAT DID YOU SAY???” Hyo flared up and was now climbing me like a tree not breaking the head-lock.

“Go Hyo! Go Hyo!” Our friends and the other midget started to cheer.

“Waaahh.” I started to lose my balance and ended first to the floor.

They all started laughing at us.

Hyo finally let go of me and smiled with satisfaction.

I was looking down tending to my aching neck when two shadows in front of me made me look up.

Hyo and Tae are standing tall, smirking.

“Have you learned your lesson, AGAIN?” They chorused.

I smiled at them and acted all cute.

“Sure, unnies.” I smiled brightly like a kid knowing they can’t resist my ‘little girl’ charm.

They smiled back at me and ruffled my hair.

They helped me to stand up and placed my bag inside.

There were a few other people with us. They were all our friends from school.

I talked to Minho, Taemin, Siwon, Sulli, Hyomin and Nicole.

Well, I’m not really a social butterfly and I was quite relieved that I was close to the people here.

Inviting the Choi cousins is great because they come in a package. I admire how close they are to each other even if they don’t belong in the same year. Hyomin, Taemin and Nicole are great people. I had some classes with these guys and they’re cool to be with. But what brings us all together is our love for water.

This island hopping this is going to be fun!

An employee of the Kim house is driving the yacht and all of us are out. Some are sunbathing, others just looking out to the sea, others just talking to each other.

I stared away at the blue horizon. Then, as if it was the most natural thing to happen. Yuri’s face flashed before me.

I sighed.

Stop following me.

Maybe this is because of guilt. I didn’t bother to say goodbye to the girls and just started driving towards my parents’ home. I decided that I needed time to be away from my growing problems.

Now, I wonder if they’re looking for me.

I guess not. Why would they look for me? I’m just someone who happens to be at some kilometre radius from their lakehouse.

I don’t need to feel guilty. It’s not like I need Yuri’s permission for me to be here. I can decide for myself.

I frowned.

“Hey, are you okay?” Hyo said as she patted my back. Tae followed her and gave me some orange juice.

“Yup. Just thinking.” I lied and smiled.

“You liar.” Tae said.

“I’m really okay guys! I just can’t wait to jump into the waiter.” I pumped my fist in the air. They raised a brow at me.

“Were you a mermaid in your past life?” Tae said mockingly.

“More like a fish.” Hyo countered.

We burst out laughing.

I smiled at my friends. They really know how to cheer me up.

That day we stopped at a small island resort. We went snorkelling and I love the fishes there. Maybe Hyo was right, maybe I was a fish in my past life. But I’ll go with a mermaid, at least it’s prettier than a fish and close to a human. Keke.

We spent the night there. We created a bonfire in the shore and watched the night sky. The moon looks so beautiful and distant. The stars filled up the sky. It was a great night to star gaze. We huddled together, circling the fire and started telling ghost stories. I was not that interested because I don’t believe in those things really. After a few stories I stood up and told everyone that I’ll go for a walk. Since all of them were quite immersed into the story they just nodded their heads.

I went to walk into the beach. The water just touching my feet as the waves crashed down on the sand. I left my phone at home so that no one can disturb me in this trip. But it seems like some thoughts are more persistent than I thought. Like thoughts about Honey and Kwon Yuri. I feel sorry for Honey too. I just texted her briefly of my plans and she had no choice but say yes.

I looked up to the moon.

I remembered the first time I received a text from Honey.

I was at class at that time and I forgot to turn off my phone. The school has this very strict policy of turning off the phones while inside the class. We were having a test that time and the silence was deafening. Well, until my phone’s tune broke the silence. I felt everyone looking at me. Some with amusement, others blank, others with pity and some stuck their tongues out at me and smirked. Those some happened to be my friends.

I stared at my phone in shock and immediately turned it off.

“Miss Im. Please see me at the Principal’s Office after class.” My teacher, who was idly reading a book in her table, calmly said without looking up. How on earth did she know it was actually my phone? Until now, I have no idea.

After class my friends laughed at my embarrassing experience.

I went off to the Principal’s office as I was told and met my teacher. She started talking about things about the orientation every first day of class and how can I, possibly forget about something like that.

I was given a sheet containing the rules about phones and the corresponding consequences.

“Well, Miss Im. Please read your punishment.”

First offense- one week library service, two hours per day. Log in and out to the librarian. Non-negotiable. One hour at lunch and one hour after class hours.

I stared at the paper and looked up to my teacher. I read the punishment aloud.

“Good. Your service begins tomorrow. Do good, okay? You can go now, and please learn from this.” She said. I bid goodbye and went out.

Seriously, I’m going to kill whoever sent me a message at such time.

I hastily my phone since I no longer have classes and checked for the God-forsaken message.

From: Unknown

Hi! Can we be friends?

I stared at my phone and wanted to just throw it away. But the thought of my week-old phone erased that plan. Seriously? Who the heck is this person? After what happened I was in no mood of making friends. I went to the gates and went home to my apartment, where I lived alone.

I made my homework and went out to eat some dinner.

As I finished with my meal, I stared blankly outside. It was raining and I didn’t have an umbrella with me.

Just great.

I was bored out of my mind.

I fiddled with my phone. I noticed the message earlier.

 I read it again and again.

Hmmm, maybe he/she didn’t mean it.

I decided to reply.

With that reply, we started our friendship that later developed into this ‘relationship’.

That day was both the most unfortunate and the luckiest day of my life.

I spent the whole week serving the library but whenever I get the chance; my hands will be busy with my phone texting.  Nobody noticed my new hobby.

I didn’t mean to receive that text, since she said it was sheer coincidence.

I didn’t mean to get that punishment in the library either.

Nor did I plan to reply and be her friend.

Nor did I plan to fall in love with the person I’ve been texting for some time.

Nor did I plan to be seriously in love with that person that it didn’t matter to me if we’ve seen each other or not.

I didn’t plan to smile each time I read her message saying something as simple as, ‘good morning.’

I didn’t plan on having my heart race whenever I type the words, ‘I love you’.

I didn’t plan on having those sleepless nights just thinking of how she looks, how our first meeting would be, how we will have our first date.

I didn’t plan in rereading our conversations over and over and just giggle out of the blue.

I didn’t plan any of those.

I didn’t plan on falling in love; just because I received a text in the middle of class and be punished for it.

All of those happened beyond my control.

I fell for Honey helplessly and she caught me when I was spiralling downwards for her.

Some may call this relationship a joke, a fake.

But for me, it is real.

Honey is real.

This love is real.

And isn’t that what matters?

Screw the world.

When I decided to continue my feelings for Honey, I meant it all. I’ve never been loyal to anyone but her and I messed up my vow when Kwon Yuri appeared in my life.

I sighed and kicked the sand beneath my feet.

I sat down and locked my eyes into the sea.

How did my life ended up in this confusion?

I wanted a simple life. But I got something far from it.

Now, here I am. Being a coward and decided to run away from my life, away from all the problems, away from the confusion.

Please wait for me. I promise I’ll be back for you.

Be back for whom?

Right now, I have no idea.