a bump on the road

everyday i fool the world

We all slept at the master’s bedroom laying mattresses on the floor like children having sleepovers. When we went back from our walk; we found the other’s already sleeping so we settled in the space they left for us which was beside the wall. Yuri and I had to sleep sideways facing each other because they took a lot of space. Maybe it was because of all the activities that no matter how tight the position we’re in, we didn’t have trouble falling asleep.

A few hours later, I opened one of my eyes and I can’t help but to frown when I just realized what was hanging in front of my face; a giant foot! I gently removed the foot from my face to let the owner sleep some more. I bet she’s still tired. I turned to my left to check on Yuri whom I was shielding from the unconscious attacks of flying feet and arms.

She looked peaceful as she placed both her hands in front of her chest and I saw a part of her tongue sticking out. I smiled as I found it cute. I raised my head by resting it to my hand and looked down at Yuri’s beautiful face. There was only the light from the moon outside that seeped through the windows but her face is so clear and I’ve already memorized every feature.

I tried to look around and I can’t help smile widely and stop myself from laughing out loud looking at my friends all bundled up like that. Next to me was Tae who was hugging a pillow and nuzzling it as she sleeps. Hyo was next to her with her arms out stretched, her left on Tae’s chest and her right on Sica’s face. Wow. They slept next to each other. Soo’s sleeping sideways, it was her foot hanging by my face, and her body ran over the three shorties with her head on Seo’s stomach. Seo was sleeping like a corpse, all stiff and straight with her hands folded on her tummy. Tiffany and Sunny looked like mother and child with how tight Sunny was hugging her. Sunny’s face was literally in Tiffany’s armpit.

I checked my watch and it was only three in the morning. Hmmm. I should really go back to sleep. I faced Yuri back and hugged her by the waist. I felt her snuggle closer to me and the gesture just made me smile for the last time before drifting off to sleep.

I yawned and rubbed my sleepy eyes as I felt light trying to pry my eyes open. I was a bit shocked when I saw the room empty and I was the only one asleep. I stretched my limbs and tried to walk straight though my brain is still dazed. The first person I saw was Sica who was lying down on the couch. I was about to ask her when Tiffany arrived and signalled me to stop. She walked closer to me and whispered in my ear.

“Don’t bother her, she’ll kill you.” I was very certain that she was serious and she nodded giving me another confirmation. I just nodded back at her and backed off, I went to the kitchen.

“Good morning guys.” I said and yawned again, settling on a stool.

I didn’t catch what they said for I was leaning my head at the counter already, still sleepy.

“Hey, Yoona.”

I tried my best to look up for with the voice I was pretty sure it was Hyo and she never calls me that with that kind of tone if it wasn’t serious.

I raised my brow at her like I was saying ‘what?’

“Go sleep some more. You look terrible.” She said shooing me away.

Terrible? Gosh. I don’t want to look terrible with Yuri around! But as if my body won’t cooperate anymore with my brain, I just slumped back like I don’t care.

I didn’t mind when a hand grabbed my arm and dragged me somewhere, I was already drifting in between the world of reality and dreams. I’m so tired and sleepy!

The next thing I knew I was already laid gently on a bed. I smiled as I recognized the scent; I didn’t need to look up to know who dragged me here.

“Hon, stay.” I managed to mumble as I fluttered my eyelids slowly. I felt the bed dip and I smiled as I felt the tips of her fingers caressing my face.

“What if it wasn’t me?” I heard her whisper. I held her hand and smiled.

“There could never be anyone else.” I said and looked up at her. It was as if all the sleepiness and tiredness drained out of my body and my senses were in high alert, absorbing all of her.

I saw her smile making my heart flutter once more.

“Please stay?” I asked again, placing the palm of her hand to my cheek after kissing it.

I smiled widely seeing her lay down beside me and rested her head in the crook of my neck hugging me in the process while my arms automatically wrapped themselves around her waist, pulling her closer.

“You don’t have to ask, I’ll always be here for you hon.” She whispered and hugged me tighter.

I smiled and kissed her forehead.

“Thank you hon. I love you.”

“I love you too. Let’s sleep?” She said.

“Okay.”

We spent the morning sleeping and I finally woke up when I heard the banging on the door as if they were to knock it down.

“Hey you two! Aren’t you going to eat or something?!” I heard Taeyeon-unnie screaming.

I looked at my side and saw Yuri waking up.

“Good morning hon. I think we need to go out. They’re worried.” I said and checked my watch, it was almost noon.

Then suddenly my stomach started to give off strange noises surprising me and made Yuri laugh.

“Let’s go eat, hon.” She said and held my hand as we walked towards the door.

I stopped with Sooyoung’s fist in front of my face, it was as if she was about to knock when we opened the door.

“Finally! Aren’t you hungry at all?!” She said and shook her head as she walked away. I giggled and held Yuri’s hand, leading us both to the dining room.

“Hi guys!” Yuri said and let me sit down next to her in the dining table. They were all busy eating.

“Were you planning to sleep the whole summer?” Sica asked with so much sarcasm I gulped after seeing her glaring at me. She stood up, picked up our plates and filled them with food. Gosh. She’s one unpredictable roller coaster ride.

“Thanks Sica-unnie!” Yuri said with aegyo as she kissed Sica’s cheek, earning a giggle from us but I stopped and mumbled a ‘thank you’ when she gave me my plate with food.

“Eat up or Soo’s going to eat all of our food.” She calmly said and walked off somewhere.

All of them were almost through.

“Yoong! What time are we going home?” Tae-unnie said while she picked up her plate and placed it on the dishwasher.

“Are you that excited to go home already unnie?” I laughed as she gave me a ‘that’s funny’ look on her face.

“Fine, how about after I finished eating?” I said, though deep inside I really didn’t want to go home. If it isn’t for the thought of my parents and Robert getting worried I’ll stay here forever.

“Okay. I just want to check my phone. I left it at our room. Maybe dad called or something.” She reasoned and went off somewhere.

The whole time we were eating our friends kept on joking about yesterday and we cracked up when I told them about their funny positions while sleeping.

“So that’s why you were so wasted! You stayed up all night watching us sleep!” Soo accused, pointing her finger at me.

“I did not!” I said, still laughing defending myself.

“You’re so creepy Yoong!” Hyo-unnie seconded giving me a scared look on her face.

“At least I sleep normally!” I said.

“Normal? Who are you to say that? You were asleep too.” Fany said laughing.

“I don’t sleep like a corpse!” I said looking teasingly at Seo who pouted, shaking her head with furrowed eyebrows.

“Let’s ask Yuri, she’s been with you the whole time! So, how’s she in bed Yul?” Sunny said making me look at her with bewildered eyes, all of us fell silent until we all burst out laughing.

“That—hahaha—that didn’t sound right!” Fany said holding her stomach, with Sica who just looked lost until they explained everything again.

After we finished eating, we bade them farewell as Hyo, Tae, Yuri and I decided to go home. It was only Yuri and I inside my car as I drove. I smiled as I took a glance at her hand resting on my leg.

“What Sunny said was really funny.” She said and both of us chuckled as we remembered the scene earlier.

We stopped laughing after a while and I decided to .

“So, how was I in bed?” I smirked and looked at her stare at me then she laughed and hit me playfully on my shoulder.

“You were very good in bed.” She said laughing still.

“Only very good?” I asked again.

“Okay, okay, you were perfect.” She said and kissed me on my cheek making me blush.

“You look so cute when you blush.” She said softly.

“You look beautiful when you blush, you’re gorgeous when you smile, you’re cute when you pout, you look loveable when you cry, you look ravishing when you sleep and you look perfect even if you don’t do anything.” I said looking at her for a moment.

“Stop the car.” She said suddenly that I was shocked and obeyed her. It’s a good thing Hyo and Tae drove first and was already far away from us.

I stopped and moved to look at her, wanting to ask what was going on but when I turned my head, soft lips was placed on mine and her arms were wrapped around my neck. I turned and placed my hands on her waist. She pulled away some moments after. Our kisses are still innocent making me smile with its gentleness.

“Hmm, why are you so adorable?” She said smiling at me.

“To get kisses like this?” I said smirking, making her blush.

I started to drive again, the smile never left my lips until we arrived home.

I held her hand as we walked towards the house. The pathway decorated with flowers enhanced Yuri’s beauty.

We went in and stayed in the living room. We were talking about what to do later when my parents arrived and sat in front of us.

“Hi girls! Did you have fun?” My dad asked, giving both of us his warm smile.

“Of course dad! You should’ve met Yuri’s friends; they’re so fun to be with!” I said.

“Really dear?” Mom said with a smile.

“Yes, auntie. One of them is Madam Choi’s granddaughter, Sooyoung. Maybe you already know her.” Yuri said.

“Oh, I think Madam Choi already introduced us to her granddaughter. Such a tall girl if I may say. We met her during the party, where you disappeared.” My mom looked at me knowingly during the last part. I just gave her an apologetic smile.

“Anyway Yoong, we’ve already picked out your university. Of course you’re going to take up something for our business, that’s easy enough to decide later.” My dad beamed. I almost smacked my head. I asked them to pick that for me when I was still directionless. Now, I already have a plan in mind. I looked at Yuri who was a bit surprised. I want to be with her.

“You’ll go to Harvard. Next week you’ll start finding a nice apartment and get oriented with the place.” My mom said picking up the cup of tea Robert just served for us. My heartbeat started to race. What if Yuri will be studying somewhere very far away? My heart ached with the possibility.

“How about you Yuri? Where do you plan to study?” My dad asked Yuri who was frozen with the news. She looked at me first then focused her eyes on my father.

“My parents and I already planned everything. I’m going to study in Europe, though the university is not yet decided. I’m going to be a chef.” Yuri said with a little less energy.

“Oh, a chef? I hope I get to taste your cooking!” Mom said flashing a very wide smile.

“I bet you’ll be a great one Yuri!” My dad said.

“Too bad you’ll be far from us.” A voice said, revealing the cousins who were standing behind the couch.

“Hey! You startled me!” I said and smacked Hyo’s arm.

“Yeah Yuri. It’ll be happier with you around.” Tae said and sat beside Yuri while Hyo sat beside me.

Yuri smiled at Tae and asked.

“Why Tae-unnie? Where will you be studying?”

“Hyo and I are going to Harvard too. I guess our dads planned this with you uncle?”

My dad chuckled.

“You’re very sharp Taeyeon. Yes, we decided that you girls should be together so you’ll be happier.” Dad said.

Happier? I feel like dying already knowing Yuri and I will be thousands of miles away from each other starting next week. Even the thought of it makes me want to cry.

The morning came like a blur. Ever since our future was foretold earlier my mind can’t seem to focus. I dropped my glass while having lunch and my appetite isn’t that well. I snapped back to reality when a hand reached out to mine from under the table during lunch making me look at the direction.

I can’t help but to try to smile as I saw Yuri with a worried look on her face giving me a small smile as she squeezed my hand.

We finished lunch and I asked Yuri to go for a walk. It was a good thing Hyo and Tae decided to stay and rest in their room first. We started our walk with Yuri’s hand interlaced with mine. We were walking slowly towards the lake neither of us saying a word.

We were already far from the house and were walking by the lakeside when I saw a big rock just near the water. I decided to ignore it but Yuri stopped right in front of it making me look curiously at her.

“Do you remember that story I told you?” She asked as she gazed fondly at the rock.

I didn’t know which story she was talking about and I was about to ask her which one but she started talking again.

“You know, the day we first met, the day I met Toothy.” She gave me a sad smile making me know that I wasn’t the only one affected with the recent news.

I nodded and moved closer to her, our shoulders touching when I finally wrapped one arm around her, giving her a one-arm hug with my right arm as my other hand stayed on the pocket of my shorts.

“I saw you perched up there.” She said and pointed at the top of the rock and she started walking slowly.

“And I was standing here.” She continued as she stopped about two steps away from me. I tried my damn hardest to remember until I smiled widely at her.

“I remember.” I said walking to her and hugged her.

“Really?” She said with a little happiness in her voice but she was still reluctant.

“Yep. You looked so cute back then with your dress and your hair.” I stopped when I remembered something that made me smile.

“Hon? Are you okay?” Yuri said, looking at me worriedly.

“I’m okay. I just remembered something.” I said and smiled at her.

She looked away and stared at the vast lake.

“I’m going to miss you.” She said and I panicked when I heard her sob.

“Shhh. Hon, let’s think about it first okay? Right now, we have to be strong. We’ll make it through. I promise.” I said, turning her face towards me and wiping her tears away.

“Everything will be okay.” I said and kissed her forehead.

We continued to walk but we decided to go back when we can’t bear the sun anymore. When we arrived at my house the people were nowhere to be found, even the cousins are gone. I led her to my room and found my phone and I read through my messages.

From: Kim T Shortie

I don’t know where you two are so we’re going to Yuri’s house, we’re bored. Btw, uncle told us they’re going to visit some friends and won’t be home ‘til evening. Call if you need anything.

I sighed. I turned and faced Yuri who was sitting on my bed with her eyes closed.

I smiled and walked towards my dresser. I opened the drawer and found my jewellery box. I picked up the item with so much care as if it was going to turn to dust if I held it roughly. I walked towards Yuri and sat beside her. She was about to open her eyes when I whispered.

“Don’t open your eyes yet.”

I unlatched the lock and placed the necklace gingerly on her neck.

I saw her smile as she felt the cold chain on her skin.

“What is this? I’m sorry I didn’t have anything for you hon.” She said and pouted though her eyes were still closed.

I kissed her cheek and smiled.

“It’s okay hon, I’m just giving back what is rightfully yours. Take a look.” I said and kissed her cheek again. She grinned and opened her eyes to look down on her neck. I heard her gasp.

“You still have it.” She said breathlessly as she held it with her fingers.

“I saved it.” I said.

She frowned and pouted.

“If it weren’t because of this, you shouldn’t have lost your memory and I shouldn’t have lost you.”

“Aww hon. You look so cute when you pout. Keke. Hmm, it’s okay. It was nice knowing I had your heart all along.” I said and kissed her nose. Seriously I would love to kiss her right now.

“Then why are you giving it back? You should keep my heart forever.” She said and pouted some more.

I giggled.

“I’ll have it as long as you let me. But you should sign the papers hon.” I said seriously.

“What papers? She said, puzzled.

“The deed to my heart.” I smiled and she burst out laughing.

“You’re so cheesy honey!” She exclaimed.

“Only for you.” I said hugging her tightly.

“I never had a chance to tell you this but I hope it isn’t too late. I love you Hearty.” I said burying my nose in the side of her neck. I felt her arms hug me back and she rested her head on my shoulder.

“You’ll never be too late. I love you too Toothy. If I had to, I’ll wait forever for you.” She said.

“You don’t have to wait, because you already have all of me.”