Chapter 2: The Arranged Marriage

We Got "Engaged"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfGQ4RSiNpE

SS501 - Find

 

You were almost done unpacking your things in your new room. The movers were already done loading all the furniture, and had placed yours right where you told them to place in the bedroom. You sat down on the baby pink bean bag cushion with a small box on your lap, organizing the contents inside it.

A knock came at the door. “Come in,” you said, assuming it was the maids, but you soon regretted your words when the person that opened the door was no other than Chunji. You groaned in irritation.

“What? I’m busy here.”

“I don’t care,” he snapped back.  “Here,” he threw a notebook towards you and it landed on your feet.

“What in the world is this?” you picked it up and examined it.

“It’s a list of things you should do or practice in order to be a perfect wife for me.”

You frowned. “Says who?!”

“Says both our fathers, including me,” Chunji smirked. “Now get to work,” he sarcastically clapped his hands.

You grumbled unhappily as soon as he left the room. “He didn’t even bother to close the door, that jerk.” You got up and closed the only barrier that physically separated you and the one male you could not stand.

As soon as the door clicked shut, you pressed your forehead against the white paint of the wooden structure. Frustration and sadness clouded over you when you thought back to the day that this all happened.

“Dad, you are going too far to do this to me…”


 

*Flashback*

“…What?!” you nearly choked on your water once you heard what your dad had said. “D-did I just hear correctly?”

Your dad simply sighed and leaned back against the back of the leather chair. “I’m afraid you heard right, ____...you will be getting engaged to Lee Chanhee, my business partner’s son.”

You still looked at him in shock. It was as if time stopped and you froze in place; your thoughts and questions swarming around you like angry bees.

“So what you’re saying…is that I will be in an arranged marriage?” you said quietly, almost to a whisper.

“Yes—“

“I refuse!”

Your dad sighed again and rubbed his temple. “It’s for the sake of our growing business, ____. Mr. Lee and I have already agreed upon this.”

“But I’m only 17! I just turned 17!”

“So is Chan Hee, but you guys will get married once you both turn at the legal age of 18,” your father sternly spoke.

A knot had formed in your throat. That’s a year from now…

“Did he agree to this too…?”

“Yes, and even if he didn’t, the contract has already taken action and he won’t be able to get out of this unless me or his father disable the agreement. Same goes for you too.”

“And remember,” he carefully added, “you cannot tell anyone that this is arranged or else there will be much damage to our reputation and business. There will also be a lot of troubles.”

Then why even do this in the first place? you angrily thought.

You were on the verge of crying, but you tried your best to hold back your tears. “How can you do this to me, father…”

Your dad looked away without any hesitation. “It’s for the best, my only child. Now if I had a son, then maybe—“

“You would’ve wanted a son instead of me, wouldn’t you,” you angrily muttered.

Your father looked at you in shock. “____!”

“Dad! Ever since mom passed away, all you’ve cared about was business. Business this! Business that!” you started to ramble.

“____, stop this—“
 

“Why should I? It’s the truth! You haven’t cared for me in a long time! Where was the father that supported me through rough times? Where was the father that comforted me when I had bad dreams or congratulated me when I achieved something wonderful?” your tears finally slipped out.

“And especially, where was the father that I loved…”

Your father grew speechless. His face turned soft as he remembered those times. But it didn’t stop him from his decision. “My child, I—“

But you had already run out of his office, with your full tears raining down your cheeks. Your father only stared after you, the daughter who was getting more and more distant from him as time passes by. He could only stand and watch, with his business revolving around his life most of the time. “I’m sorry, ____,” was all he could manage to say.
 

*Flashback ended*

 

 

You were lying in bed, staring blankly at the ceiling. So many thoughts were running through your mind but you tried not to think about it.

Only one thought came to you that seemed the most urgent.

Mom, if you were still here…would you have been able to change Dad?