Chapter 8: Soft Side

We Got "Engaged"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fKJhj-ggSY

No Min Woo - Can I Love You?
 

 

You quickly scurried over to the waiting Chunji, who was looking at you menacingly.

“Yah! Do you want me to suffer?” he yelled.

“Sorry!” you bowed your head in guilt.

“What was taking you so long?” he demanded.

“I was…talking to my dad,” you lied.

“Still, you’ve been keeping me waiting for thirty minutes. Did you forget about the rules already?” he narrowed his eyes at you.

“Aniyo.”

“Then you should remember a certain rule where you should not do a certain something.”

You recalled. “…I should not do anything to anger, bother or disturb you…”

“Exactly. And here you are breaking one already.”

You pursed your lips in guilt.

He sighed and ruffled his hair. “Whatever. I’m too tired to handle this so I’ll let you slip this one time, but never again. Just get in the limo.”

You followed him quietly outside to the limo, not saying a word for the whole way home. There was a sudden distinct aura around him than there usually was that made you decide not to bother him with your questions or complaints.
 

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦
 

When you guys arrived back to the mansion, you were about to head upstairs when he stopped you.

“Don’t forget about the monthly bouquet. It’s coming up in less than two weeks. You’re going to have to help get it prepared at my dad’s company tomorrow.”

You nodded glumly. He then went up the stairs towards his room and you went up right after him. As you got inside your bedroom, you pulled out the planner and reviewed through it. He did indeed fill in every event for each month, excluding the wedding date.

“Who knew that being the fiancé of an heir to a large company could be so stressful?” You murmured to yourself.

You hadn’t realized until your stomach growled a little that you were hungry. You nearly forgot that you haven’t eaten lunch or dinner yet. You had missed the opportunity to eat at the party. You got dressed in your comfortable night clothes and slipped out of your room to head downstairs.

He wouldn’t mind if I invade his fridge, right?

As soon as you arrived at the stairs, you noticed Chunji walking towards one of the rooms and opening the light. 
You wondered what he was doing, and because of your extreme curiosity, you slowly crept towards the room to take a short peek.

As you peered in the room, it turned out to be a spacious storage room full of filled up cardboard boxes. In them seemed to be files of papers and stacks of books. There was a small desk and a chair at the side of the room, occupied with numerous picture frames.
Chunji had walked over to the desk, picking up a large photo that had four people posing in it.

As you curiously glanced at it, you realized what it actually was. It was a family picture of his Dad, Mom, his brother and then him. In the picture, everyone was smiling whole heartedly, including him. 
It was your first time ever seeing Chunji smile, and it surprised you. The picture seemed years ago when Chunji was a young boy.

You were puzzled to why he kept it in the storage room instead of in his own room, with the way he was staring intensely at it.

“Omma…” You heard Chunji murmuring, gently brushing his fingers against the photo.

His eyes expressed a sense of deep distress that you never thought you would see.

“Please tell me...”

Chunji’s voice seemed wistful and hurt, as if he was recalling a painful memory that flashed by him.

You didn’t know why but the grief in his voice afflicted you in a way.

Chunji's gaze never left the woman who was hugging the childhood him. The faintness of his sincere, questioning words still echoed through his mind, over and over again.

"What happened to us...?"

Then, something unexpected happened that made you realize Chunji does have a sensitive side.

He was crying.