Chapter 35: Three Words

We Got "Engaged"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4eTYZkBwfw
Jay Park - I Got Your Back
 


"Chanhee! Come over here! There's a cafe!" Kevin waved, his sunglasses occupying his eyes as he put on a bright smile.

Chunji turned his head to look at his brother dully. "Why on earth are we even going there?" 

He wasn't particularly in a good mood today, especially since the older sibling had kept on annoying and begging him to take a walk around the city together, for some apparent reason.

"Just come here!" Kevin beckoned again, this time frantically flapping his hands as an impatient gesture to have Chunji arrive closer.

Chunji sighed and strode over to the blonde haired brother, who entered through the glass doors of the cafe.
They sat down at the seats and ordered warm drinks for themselves.
A while later, Chunji was sipping his caramel macchiato when Kevin blurted a sudden thought.

"I saw that you were wearing the yellow hoodie this morning." 

Chunji removed his lips from the brim of the cup and turned pink from embarassment.

Kevin grinned and calmly reached for his drink. "You know, I was happy when you accepted my gift. I knew you would like it."

Chunji pretended to glance around the cafe. "Whatever."

Kevin chuckled at his younger brother's stubbornness, then his face shifted into a serious look.

"Hey, Chanhee?"

"Hm?" Chunji's lips cautiously touched the hot liquid again.

Kevin tapped his fingers against the surface of the table and looked up. "So...when are you going to confess?"

The younger male nearly choked on his drink upon hearing the blunt words coming from his brother's mouth.

"M-Mwoh?! Confess?" he quickly wiped his mouth with the napkin.

Sunghyun rolled his eyes. "Don't act like you don't know what I mean. I see the way you look at her."

Chunji frowned and faked a nonchalant look. "I have no idea what you're saying."

"Come on! Don't be that way," Kevin slapped Chunji's arm from across the table playfully. "You might as well confess soon since you guys are stuck together anyways." 

Chanhee rubbed his arms that turned a bit sore from his brother's exaggerating hit. "I see no reason for doing that at all. Also, why are you getting into my business?" he said in an aggravating tone.

The blonde young man sighed and arched against his seat. "Fine then. I guess it wouldn't bother you if anyone who doesn't know that she's "engaged" hits on her."

Chunji froze but refused to glance up at his brother. 

Kevin continued on with a quiet mumble as he leaned over. "And then once she realizes you don't show that you have feelings for her, she'll plan ahead and go off with another guy once the marriage is off. _____'s probably not going to wait forever, you know."

The black-haired adolescent reluctantly lifted up his drink and gulped down the liquid slowly, his mind wandering about Kevin's veracious words.
I wonder if what he's saying is true..?

"Don't you like her?" Kevin sternly asked.

Chunji twirled the liquid inside the cup with regarding eyes. 
...Like her..?

Chunji's eyes flickered around in thought. He instantly imaged your appearance in his mind.
His heart thumped suddenly as he browsed through memories of your presence. He looked down to where his heart was and concentrated on the rapid beating against his chest.
Finally, it all clicked into place. He finally understood the meaning of what he was feeling.
Then he finally answered,

"No."

Kevin's mild expression dropped. "...No?"

Chunji leisurely stood up from his seat and deliberately glanced out the window . "No, I don't like her."
His eyes sparkled as realization dawned upon him.

"But there's one thing that I know for sure."
 

~~~~~

You urged yourself to go on; to continue with the words you were now suddenly sure of.
Your father was patiently waiting on the phone. You had nothing to lose, right?

"About that...actually I..." 

Every action you've done, every word you've said, it only concluded to one reason and one reason only.


                                                               ...I love him."



~~~~~


                                                              "...I love her."

Chunji softly said, finishing his sentence in complete confidence.

At first, Kevin sat there with an unwritten look on his face, then his lips started curving up more and more wider in surprise and joyfulness.

"Well, what're you waiting for? Don't say it to me, say it to her!" Kevin exclaimed brightly. He's been waiting for this moment ever since he noticed the chemistry between you two. 

Chunji stared blankly at his excited brother as his thoughts became overfilled with constant repeats of your voice;

"Because, Chunji. I know you're not a bad person. I want to see the real you."
"Chunji, you're not alone in this. If you ever need comfort or just a little talk, I'll be here."


"Before, I admit that I didn't want anything to do with you, but now I've really grown to acknowledge you and care for you, Chunji."
"And even when we decide to go our own separate ways if this marriage won't be able to last very long, it doesn't matter. All it matters is right now. You just have to learn to open up to me and I'll do the same." 


He closed his eyes and started to tighten his fist. Why didn't I realize sooner?
Everything about her...


~~~~~

Your dad stayed silent for a while. You bit your lip anxiously for his reply, feeling a bit nervous on the inside.

"So...you really do love him?" he started to speak.

"Yes, father. I do," you said in hope.

A long pause was present again, then came along a chuckle.

"Well then, I'm glad that you feel this way. As long as my daughter is happy, I won't stop you."

You beamed happily over the phone. "Thank you, Dad. This...is one of the few times you've ever shown that you cared for me."

From the other line of the phone, your Dad felt shameful and guilty.
"I'm really sorry, my dear. I've realized my intentions were never comforting...But this time, I'm going to change my ways.
Because I love you, my daughter. I was foolish to only acknowledge that fact now."

You smiled appreciatively, tears were starting to slip out. "I love you too, Dad."

Your Dad smiled warmheartedly. "Now there's one other person to say those three words to."

You blinked away your tears. "Huh?"

"You know who I'm talking about," he grinned.

You then became aware of what he meant. "Oh..!"

Chunji was automatically running around in your thoughts, and your smile grew immensely brighter.

"You're right, Dad."

~~~~~

In a flash, his legs started sprinting out the streets. Chunji darted from street to street until he slowed down and rummaged through his pockets.

He held out his phone and started dialing the number anxiously.

First ring...second ring...

"Hello? Chunji?"

Chunji felt relieved at the sound of your voice. "Yes, it's me."

He started walking again, eyes looking ahead as he thought up of a place.

"Listen, meet me up at the bridge of the central park. You know where that is, right?"

"Ah, yes. Why?"

Chunji smiled affectionately as his heart started rising up with anticipation. "I've got something to tell you."

"Araso. And...I've got something to tell you too."

"Then we'll both have something to say," he grinned. "See you there."

And as the conversation ended, Chunji started dashing through the city again.

~~~~~

As soon as you and your dad's talk over the phone ended, you suddenly received another call. 
When you looked at the caller ID, you rounded your eyes in surprise.

I-It's him! 
You tried not to seem desperate, so you waited until the second ring to answer.

"Hello? Chunji?"

"Yes, It's me.
Listen, meet me up at the bridge of the central park. You know where that is, right?"

"Ah, yes. Why?" you asked in confusion.

"I've got something to tell you."

Your heart started to jump at his statement, knowing that you had something to tell him too.
After a short pause, you answered.

"Araso. And...I've got something to tell you too."

"Then we'll both have something to say," Chunji said. "See you there."

You hurriedly went back to your friends and stood there with a determined look. They stopped chatting and looked up at you.

"Is there something wrong?" they asked.

"Guys, I'm sorry, but I have to go do something right now. Until next time, yeah?"

"Oh, oka--" Before they could finish their sentence, you sped off out of the cafe as fast as you can, leaving your friends befuddled.

You panted for air as your shoes patted across the cement ground continuously, uttering a cry of relief as you saw the place in view.

I'm coming, Chunji. To tell you how I really feel, I need to tell you now.

Then you started to walk across the street quickly.

~~~~~

Chunji could barely catch up with his breath, but he didn't care at the moment. All he wanted to do was to quickly see you and say the words he's been meaning to say.

Everything about her...

He past by blocks of buildings and houses, feeling as if it will take him eternity to get to his destination.

From her warm, smiling face...

The cold breeze whipped across his face as he sped through streets and pedestrians.

To her sweet, caring personality...

Chunji whisked through green shades of nature as he neared the large park.

...Is just so perfect.

A bit closer and he could see the glorious, white bridge that marked their meeting spot.

To have you be officially mine would make me the most happiest person in the whole universe.

Chunji at last walked to the center of the bridge and caught his breath.
When he glanced around, you were nowhere to be seen yet.
He warily glanced at his watch and looked around some more, only spotting a few people strolling across the pathways of the park.

A couple minutes soon turned into more. 
Chunji couldn't take the long delay. He dialed your number, only to hear the operator's voice. 
He frowned and tried to dial again.

He made a disapproving sound as he looked at his cell phone. "Did she leave her phone or something? Why isn't she picking up?"

He impatiently crossed his arms and leaned against the railing, still hoping that you would show up. Until then, he decided to stay firmly at the spot.
But minutes dreaded on until it was nearly an hour that you didn't appear.
Chunji was extremely losing hope. He sighed and got up from his spot, noticing that the sun was slowly dimming; signs that showed that afternoon was about to be over.
After numerous phone calls, he still wasn't able to contact you.
Newly formed creases went between his eyebrows as he grasped his hair in distress. A prominent look of concern was shown vividly across his face.


"Where is she?"