Chapter 31: Worried

We Got "Engaged"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1I87SHTh9c
Lee Sun Hee - Fox Rain

I love this song and the drama! ^0^

 

You entered your third period class and sat down, blankly staring out the window. 
You felt a tap on your shoulder and you turned around, only to see an anxious L.Joe looking at you.

"Oh, hey, L.Joe oppa," you greeted.

"Yo, where were you?" he asked, whipping his blonde hair to the side.

"Sorry, I..had to do something during lunch," you decided not to tell them about the incident. You didn't want matters to be worse.

L.Joe sighed in content. "Oh, I see. Thank goodness."

"Why? Were you guys worried?"

"Well, we didn't think much of it since we thought you probably did have to go do something. But Chunji..." he glanced sideways uncomfortably.

"What about Chunji? Did something happen?" you straightened up.

"Actually, he thought something happened to you. I don't know, he just said he had this "tingly feeling" that you were in danger or something."

You felt a spark inside you. "Really?"

L.Joe nodded.

"Anyways, after awhile and you still didn't show up, he got up from our table and started looking for you. He even forced us to help him--I mean, not that we didn't want to look for you."

You wandered your eyes around in thought. I didn't know he was so worried...

"So where were you?" L.Joe asked.

You froze at that question. "Uh, I was in my homeroom...revising some school work."

He didn't seem to suspect anything. "Oh. See, I knew Chunji was overreacting," he shook his head.

"Yeah.." you blankly said. 

By then, the bell rang for class to start and L.Joe went to sit at his seat next to you.
The teacher started the lecture, but their words turned into a blur once you started staring into space, wondering what Chunji was thinking right now.

~~~~~


School was over, and you were walking towards the limo when four shadows fell over you. You widened your eyes. Oh no.

Quickly, you turned around but then sighed in relief. "You really scared me for a moment there."

"I'm sorry, _____." Minhyuk sincerely apologized and ruffled your hair, understanding what you meant. His familiar three friends only looked at each other in confusion.

"Hey, guys," you smiled and waved.

Jungshin was the first to greet you. "It's nice to see you again."

"Hey, _____!"

"What's up?"

You all happily chatted with each other until it was time to part ways.
Meanwhile, Chunji was upstairs still packing up his things when he looked out the window and noticed you.
That made him pack even faster as his heart raced with anticipation. I have to go catch up with her and not keep her waiting. I need to find out why she wasn't there at lunch.

But then he took another look and his heart fell with disappointment. Four guys were cheerfully talking to you--including Minhyuk. 
Chunji started feeling that awful feeling again; Jealousy.

He grumbled and slowed down on putting his things away. "Whatever. Why should I care if she talks to guys?"

He quickly grew frustrated. And just when I tried to go all over the school looking for her. Seems like she's doing just perfectly fine. I worried for nothing.

"Bye, _____!" Yonghwa shouted. "We should all hang out together next time!"

"Yeah!" The other three agreed in unison.

You nodded and waved. "Alright, then! Bye!"

You turned around and started walking towards the limo.
In the car, you waited for Chunji to come out. He was taking longer than usual.
You rested your eyes until you heard the car door click open.
You turned your head to see an emotionless Chunji getting inside the car beside you.
He then called out to the driver to take you both home.

"Hey, were you doing something?" you asked.

He didn't reply or even looked at you.

Confused, you shifted closer and waved your hand in front of him. "Chunji? Hello?"

He still refused to look at you.

You frowned. "Please don't tell me you're going to ignore me again?"

He let out a small grumble. 

"Chunji, I'm really sorry for making you wait during lunch, if that's what you're angry about. I didn't mean to, I just had to go do something. I'm sorry if I made you worried," you sulked.

Chunji felt a bit better, even though it was only half of why he was acting like this. He finally turned to look at you. "Apology accepted. But I wasn't really--"

Then he noticed the faint red slash across your cheek.
He abruptly cupped your neck and leaned his face in, which made you blush since he was so close.
Chunji frowned and inspected the cut.
"What happened here?" 

Alarmed, you pulled his hands away and shifted farther apart from him.
You had almost forgotten all about the wound.

"No, it's nothing." You self-consciously hid the cut with your palm.
 This made him even more curious and skeptical.

"Did someone do this to you?"

You shook your head frantically. "No!"
But your response didn't seem believing at all.

Chunji forcefully grabbed your wrist away from your face. You quickly tried to cover it up with your other hand but he grabbed onto that one too.
"Tell me, who did this to you?!"

You tried to squirm away from his grasp. "No one did!"

"You're lying." 

"I-I'm not..!" You squirmed even harder, making it difficult for Chunji to hold onto your wrists.
Your elbow accidentally struck Chunji's chest, making him let out a mild cry of pain. He released his grip a little bit but not enough to have you break free.

"Okay, that's it."
He pulled you towards him and flipped you around so your back was against his. Then he quickly wrapped his arms around your upper body, including your arms so you won't be able to thrash out. 

 "Ah! Let go! !" You yelled out, attempting to wriggle out of his grip. 

"Yah! Stop shouting out nonsense! Do you want me to get into trouble?!" He tightened his grip around you even stronger.

The driver suddenly cleared his throat from the front. "Uh, is everything okay back there?" He couldn't see anything since there was a dark, tinted window separating him from the back seat.

"Yes, everything's fine! My fiance is just crazy!" Chunji responded.

"Let go of me!" you continued to writhe about.

"I'll let go of you once you tell me the person who did this to you!" 

But you continued to be stubborn and tried to twist your way out.
In the end, seeing that it was no use at all, you hung limp in Chunji's arms.
Tears were suddenly forming in your eyes. Not because of Chunji, but because you really didn't want to make him worry even more about you.
Feeling a sense of relief, Chunji breathed out.
But he still held you just in case you were tricking him into thinking you gave up.

"Are you done now?" he sarcastically remarked.

You hated to admit it, but you hesitantly nodded. You were too tired.

"So can you please tell me?" Chunji gently asked.

You looked down glumly and paused for a moment. Then you shifted your head up and down as if saying 'yes'.

Chunji sighed. "Good. Who was it?"

You bit your lip. "...Just some girls.."

"Was it Taeyeon?" Chunji immediately assumed.

You shook your head. "No, it was another group of girls that wanted to hurt me."

Even more tears dripped down from your eyes. "It's so hard to make friends when so many people hate you or avoid you..."

Chunji softened. His heart fell at your grief. I can't believe I never knew she felt like this.
He wished he wasn't so popular throughout the school, even though he never intended to be. The feeling of seeing you getting physically and emotionally hurt made him cringe.
Chunji would rather be a nobody than be well known by people if it is what it takes to keep you safe.

"I'm so sorry, _____." Chunji closed his eyes and rested his head against yours. "I'm so stupid for letting people do this to you. I'm such a fool."

"No, please don't blame yourself," you said. "I'm just being a sensitive crybaby here."

"No, you're not, _____. Don't ever think it's your fault," he said. "I just wish that people wouldn't be so violent and crazy in this world."

Chunji sighed in distress. "Otoke..."

Your lip quivered and you instantly felt guilty.

"This is why I didn't want to tell you. I didn't want you to worry even more about me. I already made you like this so many times--"

Chunji softly hushed you. "Don't talk like that, pabo. You're supposed to tell me. I'm supposed to protect you. What good is it if I just let you get wrecked out there?"

You sniffed and felt your heart ease with warmth. 

"Now I'm going to have to stick with you 24/7 at school just so you won't get into trouble," Chunji murmured quietly.

"I'm sorry," you mumbled guiltily.

Chunji rolled his eyes. "Don't say that word again. I'm the one who wants to protect you, okay?"

 You felt a comforting smile upon your face. "Okay."


A moment of silence passed by, and all you both could hear was each other's steady breaths. Your back was still leaning against Chunji's chest, his arms still curled around your body. But the both of you did not even notice until you realized at the last minute, making you intensely blush.

"Hey, Chunji?" 

"Yes?"

"You're still holding onto me."

Chunji snapped open his eyes and raised his arms to let go of you. His ears grew warm with embarassment.
"Sorry."
I can't believe I did that so confidently. I wasn't even thinking of it.
But yet the feeling of embracing her...

He felt his heart thump loudly at the thought of it.

You smiled and leaned back onto the seat of the car. "It's alright."

At that moment, you immediately regretted ever telling him that he was still holding you. You mentally hit your head. Why did I say that?!

The whole way home, you and Chunji blankly stared out the window from your side. Both of you were thinking the same thing.
I want to feel your warmth once again, and this time even longer. Because right now, it feels really cold.