Chapter 7

Caged and Guarded

“Hey, Hyunsoo! How you doing?” Jinyoung asked her, while grinning and pushing his hair back. Hyunsoo could see some sweat on Jinyoung's forehead.

“I’m alright. I didn’t know it was you playing basketball there,” Hyunsoo replied, suddenly noticing another player she recognised, “Who won?”

“My team!” his grin widened, “We have some time before the lessons begin. Do you want to watch the second game?”

“Sure,” She nodded, still keeping her gaze at that one player.

“Great! I see Jimin isn’t here so I want to take this chance and spend some time to get to know you… let’s meet up at break then?”

Hyunsoo was taken aback by the sudden suggestion, but still nodded a shy beam.

Jinyoung chuckled and motioned for his team to get ready. “Cheer me on, will you?” he turned to Hyunsoo.

Hyunsoo gave him thumbs up for the game, to which Jinyoung returned the thumbs up at Hyunsoo touching his thumb with hers, and then he ran off to his team.

The player Hyunsoo was familiar with was on the other team from Jinyoung’s. They were both captain of their team.

The game begun quickly, especially since there was not enough time left before the lessons started, and the team to score 15 points first would be the winner. Jinyoung moved very quickly and got the ball first. Hyunsoo could already see that the teamwork between Jinyoung’s team was definitely better than the other team’s. Due to that, Hyunsoo wasn’t surprised at all when Jinyoung scored the first few points.

She started clapping at every point he scored, and Jinyoung pointed at Hyunsoo with a smile every time he saw her clap. There was one player who wasn’t happy with the game. Not just the game, but turned out he wasn’t happy with Hyunsoo standing there cheering for Jinyoung.

“Hey! Jinyoung– What the hell!!” shouted the player from the opposite team.

A foul. Jungkook was the one who caused it, Hyunsoo saw him. The other boys didn’t see however. Jinyoung was the one who received the foul instead… and also an injury to his leg.

“Jinyoung!” Hyunsoo burst out, making Jungkook turn to face her directly.

Why is he so angry? She thought, feeling herself get annoyed at him.

After that, it was Jungkook’s team scoring all the points. Jinyoung was hurt, but he didn’t stop playing, though his injury caused enough pain to stop him from jumping to shoot for a score. In the end, the school bell rang to indicate the end of the game and the beginning of the lesson. Everyone had a few minutes to get to his or her classrooms. Instead, Hyunsoo ran straight for Jinyoung, ignoring Jungkook’s scowl as she ran past him. Jungkook’s team was celebrating the win, and yet Jungkook stood there watching Hyunsoo bend down to where Jinyoung was sitting on the floor.

“Jungkook, what’s wrong? We won!” Hoseok said, shaking Jungkook by his shoulders.

Jungkook gave him a dead look. “Yeah… ok. Let’s go to class now.”

Hoseok returned a concerned look but stayed quiet and not moving.

“What? We won a stupid game at school. It doesn’t mean anything at all.” And with a last look towards Hyunsoo, he walked away with a confused Hoseok trailing behind him.

Hyunsoo was beside Jinyoung, completely ignoring Jungkook, and checking if the injury was bad enough to take Jinyoung to the school nurse.

“Hyunsoo, it’s fine. It’s just a bit of blood and it’ll go away soon.” Jinyoung was trying to get Hyunsoo to go to her lesson. He didn’t want her to get a late detention because of him. “You need to go now.”

“Are you sure it doesn’t hurt?” Hyunsoo was feeling really frustrated after seeing what Jungkook did to Jinyoung. She was sure that Jinyoung knew it was Jungkook’s fault, but… why didn’t he do anything about it then?

“I’m sure, Hyunsoo. I’ll be even more sure once I see you walking, or better even, running to your class.” Jinyoung smiled that same sweet smile he used on Hyunsoo.

“Fine… I’ll see you at break though, right?”

Jinyoung nodded and stretched out his hands to pull the corners of Hyunsoo’s mouth up, creating a smile.

 

Hyunsoo’s lesson that Wednesday morning was Creative Writing. She had no friends here, other than Jimin of course. Jungkook and Hoseok were also there sitting only a few seats away. Jungkook had been staring at Hyunsoo since the moment she walked through the classroom doors to take her seat. She sighed heavily with relief later when Jungkook finally looked away to pack his backpack at the end of the lesson. She had no idea what was up with him, but she knew better than to approach him. He was all trouble… and Hyunsoo couldn’t be involved with someone, in any way, who caused as much trouble as Jungkook caused in only the first few days.

“Hyunsoo!”

It was Jinyoung. His class had finished early, so he waited outside for Hyunsoo and pulled her aside when she walked out with the crowd of students.

“Jinyoung! Still feeling good?”

“Never better!”

“Someone go find a glue remover! They’ve been together since they both came to school!” Hoseok was yelling over the crowd at everyone and laughing.

Jungkook was standing beside him, staring at Hyunsoo again, but this time holding a smirk in his face.

“Jinyoung,” Jungkook said as he came closer, “What happened out there? Thought you were one of the best basketball players. Sad times.”

“You know exactly what happened, you cheat!” Jinyoung retorted, he lost his cheerful face expression and had replaced it with a mean cold glare aimed at Jungkook.

“Hey, watch it!” Hoseok came forwards, standing beside Jungkook.

And then suddenly, out of nowhere: “What’s going on here?” There were two senior looking students coming towards them slowly.

There weren’t many people there anymore. Everyone had gone to eat for break – something Jinyoung and Hyunsoo had intended to do. It was only the four of them and the two senior students who had just joined them.

“We were just leaving,” Hoseok said silently, taking a step back.

“Jungkook, not causing trouble again are you?” The taller senior asked laughing.

“No, Seokjin.” He replied, with no change of emotion.

“Liar!” Hyunsoo burst out, “It’s all you’ve done since we started school!”

Everyone stared at Hyunsoo.

“What’s your name?” the other senior asked.

“Hyunsoo…”

“Well, I’m Yoongi and this is Seokjin. Now, concerning Ju–”

“Jungkook!!!” This time a girl, also from the first year, came running for an entrance to the scene.

Then, for the first time, Jungkook smiled and said, “Gotta go, my weekly girl is here,” with a lazy wave towards everyone, including Hoseok, before putting his hand around the girl’s waist.