Chapter 65

Caged and Guarded

The news of the fight still hadn’t quietened down over the next few days. People still talked about it since it was fresh and exciting. There hadn’t been a real school fight since the beginning of the year, and it was already more than halfway through the school year.

Wherever and whenever Hyunsoo passed by a group of people, she would hear them huddle together to whisper the highlighted moments of the whole fight. Jungkook didn’t have it any different either, except that there were more girls to admire him now (as if there weren’t enough) and many guys also knew his name now. Jimin was enjoying Hyunsoo’s new rise of popularity on her behalf. He smiled and posed for everyone when they started whispering about them. Hoseok was as usual the laughter pill for everyone, he joked about the incident with nearly everyone he came across with.

Hyejin wasn’t having a very good after effect from the rest of the school. TTS were still always with her, but they were quieter than usual and always kept together, as if afraid that alone something may happen to them.

Joy was now a good friend of Hoseok’s who was very welcoming when she was first lost and alone after the fight had taken place. It turned out that Hyejin had played her as well, and after all the things she had to go through for Jungkook, she wasn’t sure she wanted to go back to him either. However, she warmed up to everyone quickly because of how nice everyone was, including Jungkook. Joy was happy that they could be friends as the very least.

 

It was nearly the end of the week and everyone in the first year of high school was focused on completing their projects before the deadline in only a few weeks. There was a lot to do, so the teachers had reserved a special lesson every day for the students to go to for the project.

Hyunsoo had just walked into the classroom for the group project meeting. She noticed Jimin and Seulgi talking together, so let them be. Instead she walked over to Taehyung and Jinyoung, who were already talking and waiting for their group members to come.

“Hey,” Hyunsoo said, smiling.

“Hyunsoo!” Taehyung said loudly and hugged her.

Jinyoung simply smiled back and did a little wave, but didn’t say anything. He must have been feeling a little awkward due to the recent events and how the couple Jungkook and Hyunsoo had suddenly become popular.

This reminded Hyunsoo of her SJ mission. She glanced at Jimin, but he was too busy… she looked at Taehyung. That will do. He seemed to know most of what everyone was doing anyway, though she didn’t know how he did that.

“So, Jinyoung, how’s everything going at the moment?” she asked, still keeping her bright smile.

“It’s alright, I mean there’s nothing really that I got up to recently,” he replied.

Taehyung’s eyes had lit up as Jinyoung was talking. “I think you should find yourself a girlfriend!”

Hyunsoo rolled her eyes to look up at the ceiling and then at Taehyung. That was too obvious.

Jinyoung looked up at Taehyung properly. “I don’t know…”

“It’s fine Jinyoung, I mean, Taehyung has a point it will be nice to have a girlfriend… after so long…” Hyunsoo said. It took her some courage to say the last part, since she was his last girlfriend that he had. “Some girls in our classes aren’t so bad! Like, Wendy? Or, uh, Joy is pretty nice. Or, what about Sohee?”

Taehyung nudged Jinyoung’s shoulder. “Sohee is really nice. Remember when she first joined the class? It was fun being around her.”

“Yeah,” Jinyoung said, nodding as if he was thinking about it.

Hyunsoo and Taehyung send each other a clear signal that said ‘it’s working, keep going’.

Jinyoung looked at them suspiciously and then added, “Why do you both suddenly care though?”

Taehyung clasped a hand to his heart. “We, as your friends, cannot interrupt your social life? And force you to get a girlfriend?”

Hyunsoo stared at him. “Uh, what Taehyung means is that we don’t like seeing you like this. I’ve noticed that recently you’ve been lonely, and you weren’t like this before! You don’t even play basketball anymore.”

“That doesn’t matter,” Jinyoung shrugged, “I don’t care about finding a girlfriend. I just want to focus on college.”

Hyunsoo looked at Taehyung with a sad expression on her face. He nodded and grinned as if saying ‘maybe next time’.

Just then, Sohee had walked into the classroom looking really happy. Although, that happiness disappeared as soon as she had looked around the room, because her beloved Jungkook was not in the class just yet.

Taehyung nudged Hyunsoo. “This is it!”

Hyunsoo knew what to do. She rushed forwards up to Sohee and said very nicely, “Hey!”

In response, Sohee gave Hyunsoo an odd look, wondering what could have possibly gone through Hyunsoo’s mind for her to come and say hello to her.

“Hello,” she replied cautiously.

Hyunsoo could already feel the awkward atmosphere building up, so before it became too much to handle, Taehyung came to the rescue and waved in her face.

“Uhm, hi?” she said.

“Come join us at the table there with Jinyoung,” Taehyung said.

“No thanks, I’m looking for someone and I have to wait for the rest of my group.”

“No’s not accepted!” he replied and took her arm to drag her to a stunned Jinyoung.

“What are you doing?” he asked, staring at Taehyung’s happy face.

Hyunsoo answered instead. “Nothing, we just wanted to talk. So how is everyone getting on with the group projects?”

“Well, it’s going,” Sohee answered, not looking happy at all, and she wasn’t even trying to hide it.

Taehyung looked at Hyunsoo and put out his v sign up.