Chapter 48

Caged and Guarded

Hyunsoo lingered around outside the homeroom classroom, thinking of conversation starters for Jungkook. She had never felt so anxious to talk to him before… everything seemed to be flying past so quickly. It was as if only yesterday she was becoming closer friends with Jimin.

She couldn’t help but feel her heart race whenever she remembered Jungkook’s crying face and how sad he looked when he hugged his grandmother. What could she do though? There was nothing…

“So, you thought my cousin was my weekly girl?”

Hyunsoo spun around so fast, even Jungkook looked surprised when they looked each other in the eye, their faces being only a few inches away. Jungkook was the first to look away, but he didn’t move. Instead, it was Hyunsoo who took a slight step back.

“Hey,” Hyunsoo said awkwardly, and then looked at him again.

“Why are you standing outside?” he asked, looking through the window of the classroom.

“I was just–” Hyunsoo stopped herself just in time. She nearly finished with ‘waiting for you’, but luckily she was able to change it. “about to go in.”

Jungkook raised his eyebrow, as if questioning whether she really was waiting or not, but left the matter at that and opened the door for Hyunsoo to go in first.

Hesitantly, Hyunsoo stepped into the classroom. She looked back at Jungkook following her, though when she stopped walking, he did too.

“I know I’m handsome and all, but you know, this is quite overwhelming.” Jungkook suddenly smirked.

Hyunsoo didn’t realise she was staring at him and quickly felt her usual attitude come out at once. “Who would ever think that? I was just about to ask you something!” She said this while feeling her cheeks burn.

“Yes?” He was still smirking.

“Uhm, do you have any siblings?”

Jungkook looked taken aback. He obviously wasn’t expecting a question about his family. Hyunsoo didn’t expect herself to say this either.

“I’m an only child,” he answered simply.

“Oh, isn’t that lonely?”

Jungkook was starting to look a little confused, but he continued to answer anyway. “I have my cousin. The one you saw. We’re close because we’re both lonely in the family…” he suddenly stopped, widening his eyes.

Hyunsoo, not noticing this, decided to continue asking a few more questions.

“Are you not close with your parents? I only ever see your grandmother, now that I think about it…”

She hoped that they would land on the topic where she could indirectly link to his family business. However, as this thought settled in Hyunsoo’s mind, she realised what she was doing. She was disturbing the peace. She was butting in on Jungkook’s family life. She couldn’t do that… but, Jungkook did that. He let his curiosity get to him and came to check out what was going on between Hyunsoo and her family.

When Jungkook didn’t answer, Hyunsoo asked, “Are you okay?”

Jungkook stared at her and replied, “Who knows. Maybe I am, or maybe not.”

He looked somehow shocked at himself afterwards, as if regretting what he said. He walked past Hyunsoo and sat down in his seat.

Hyunsoo looked equally shocked, wondering whether she went too far already. She had a feeling she did, so decided not to push the subject any further. It wasn’t up to her to figure out Jungkook’s life. Maybe she was just being overdramatic.

 

Later that night, as Hyunsoo laid on her bed, she felt her phone vibrate on the table. She got up after a moment of reluctance. She wanted to have a quiet night where she could daydream and just think about anything. She didn’t want to be disturbed, so wasn’t sure if she should check her phone, but then she didn’t know – it could be important.

Come out on your roof. – Jungkook

Hyunsoo gaped at the text message, as if any moment it would disappear and a different name would come up, or a different message. But no, Jungkook asked her to come out… why? Was he outside?

Immediately, Hyunsoo ran to her window and opened it out wide, to see if he was there or not. She turned her head left and right, but could not see a sign of anyone, until–

“YO!”

“Argh!”

Hyunsoo stumbled backwards out of shock. Someone was laughing.

“Come on out!” Jungkook yelled, as he continued to laugh at her.

Pulling out her tongue at him angrily, Hyunsoo climbed out and turned to him. “What are you doing here?”

Jungkook smiled “I really like your roof.”

“You have a balcony,” Hyunsoo pointed out, “That’s better.”

He shrugged. “Being on a roof is more exciting.”

After a moment of silence, Hyunsoo repeated, “What are you doing here?” Though she was starting to feel like she knew what was coming…

“You asked me about my family… and, you asked whether I was okay,” Jungkook looked uncomfortable. Hyunsoo could tell he didn’t like talking about personal stuff. “You just got me thinking about it all, so I just wanted to get my mind off these things I guess.”

“You’re trying to bottle it up?”

Jungkook looked at her. “I want to forget it all.”

“Maybe letting it out will help.”

“Why are you so curious? You suddenly became interested in my life?”

This time, Hyunsoo felt uncomfortable. How could she say she cared? She didn’t want to though.

“It’s payback for what you did.”

For a few seconds, Jungkook and Hyunsoo smiled at each other.

“You’re different now.”

Hyunsoo looked at him questionably. “Different how?”

However, instead of answering her, he said, “If I vent, will you keep your mouth shut about it? I don’t need anything other than someone listening to my problems. That’s more than enough.”

Hyunsoo nodded, still thinking about his last comment, but she left it for another time. Tonight, she just wanted to help relieve him of his troubles.

Jungkook smiled at her and sat down, crossing his legs and leaning against the wall. Hyunsoo joined beside him, stretching out her legs in front.