Chapter 62

Caged and Guarded

“Hyunsoo!” Jimin called from the other side of Hyunsoo’s window. He climbed through and took his shoes off straight away to get comfortable, before sitting next to Hyunsoo on the bed. “Are you okay?”

Hyunsoo didn’t know whether to laugh or cry. She didn’t have any words. She didn’t even know whether the whole situation was really true.

“Hyunsoo,” Jimin said gently, “You need to talk to him. I know you were shocked, but you should’ve heard him out.”

Hyunsoo thought about it. She had run out of the classroom with her bag after seeing Jungkook’s face. Jimin had followed her, but Hyunsoo wanted to be left alone, so she had taken the bus before Jimin could stop her.

“I don’t know what to do…” Hyunsoo said, voicing her thoughts.

“That’s understandable, but you need to share this with Jungkook. I know you might not feel like seeing him, but this is the best thing to do right now. Please…”

“Jimin, I’m sorry but… let’s talk about something else.”

Jimin didn’t look taken aback. Maybe he expected Hyunsoo to react like this. She was always one to run away from her problems. Why was she like this? But she didn’t want this to upset her as much as it was already doing.

Jimin didn’t talk about today’s event again after Hyunsoo’s request. They talked about anything and everything other than Hyejin and Jungkook. This made Hyunsoo feel slightly better, but somewhere in the back of her mind, Hyejin’s words kept creeping back.

Jimin slept over that night. It was like an unexpected secret sleepover. He had to wake up and leave to go home earlier so he could get ready for school. Hyunsoo didn’t even want to face anyone at school today.

Why didn’t Jungkook text her?

This thought kept bugging her for the whole morning as she got up and got ready, as she went to school and when she walked into her first lesson.

It was the group project meeting; every group had to be here. Jungkook, Hoseok and Sohee from her group were already there.

Hoseok smiled kindly as Hyunsoo joined them. She didn’t want to be there, especially with this other problem that Sohee seemed to have with Hyunsoo. Hoseok’s smile somehow made Hyunsoo feel slightly better and they started talking.

Hyunsoo made sure she couldn’t see whatever Jungkook was doing, she didn’t even want to know. Although this lasted only for a few minutes, because Jungkook suddenly came face to face to Hyunsoo.

“Hyunsoo, are you alright?” he asked.

She looked at him briefly then looked down. She didn’t know how to answer this question.

“Hyunsoo,” he said again, “Why are you avoiding me?”

She was avoiding him? Did he even text her after she ran from that classroom? Did he care to check up on her, when he only lived right across her house?

“Hyunsoo.”

She finally looked up at him, opening , but nothing came out. Closing again, Hyunsoo noticed Jimin looking at her and quickly left to go to him. She didn’t turn back, but she knew Jungkook was watching her walk away.

“It’s okay Jungkook, give her time…” Hyunsoo heard Hoseok say.

“You should have talked to him,” Jimin said sadly, once Hyunsoo reached him.

She nodded and instantly noticed Taehyung talking to Jinyoung just behind Jimin, but she couldn’t hear their low voices. What could they be talking about? Usually Hyunsoo wouldn’t care or bother, but recently she had gotten to know Taehyung a little more, so she knew whatever he did… well, someone should supervise him at all times.

“Hyunsoo,” Jimin said, bringing her attention back to him. “Look.” He nodded towards where Jungkook was stood.

Hyunsoo turned around and saw, like everyone else who was watching intently, Jungkook talking to Joy.

“It’s not my fault!” Joy was saying loudly, throwing up her arms.

Jungkook looked frustrated. “Did I ask whose fault it was? I was asking how that got in my room! Did you set me up? Did you plan this all with Hyejin?”

“She played me as well okay! I didn’t know this would turn into such a big thing after just one visit to your house!”

Hyunsoo looked away. She had heard enough and couldn’t take anymore. She went to talk to Taehyung. Jimin was still listening though, and he kept looking back at Hyunsoo every now and then.

Hyunsoo ignored everything and talked to Taehyung. “Hey, what were you talking about?”

“With Jinyoung? Oh,” he smiled and said in a low voice, “I was saying how ‘pretty’ and ‘adorable’ Sohee looked.”

Hyunsoo had to let those words sink in properly before she realised what he had said. “What? Sohee? Wait, how do you know?”

“I know everything,” Taehyung replied, smiling brightly.

There was a moment of silence. He didn’t seem affected by the drama happening right behind them, though Hyunsoo’s ears kept twitching for more words from Jungkook’s mouth.

“That’s creepy,” Hyunsoo finally said, “How did Jinyoung react?”

“He didn’t really say anything specific about Sohee, but I know he thought it,” he said, smiling mischievously, “I noticed him looking at Sohee after I mentioned her. And it was more than once!”

“Nothing else?” she asked.

“No,” he shrugged, “Then, he ignored me and went back to work.”

Hyunsoo let out a sigh of relief. That wasn’t too bad, it was good even… but then, Hyunsoo’s breath suddenly stopped in .

Why did she care? Sohee was out to get Jungkook. Hyejin was out to get Jungkook. Joy apparently had something to do with Jungkook. What was she doing in the picture? Was she even in the frame anymore?