Chapter 53

Caged and Guarded

Hyunsoo didn’t get a chance to talk to Jimin alone at all. As soon as she went to her next lesson, the teacher split the class in groups for a project preparation that would go on for a few months. She couldn’t talk to him after that either, or after school when they walked home because of Jungkook. She only got the chance to tell him that she had something important to say, but that was enough for Jimin to understand what it must be about.

Hyunsoo didn’t waste any time once she got home. She sprinted to her bedroom and took out her phone, tapping on Jimin’s number and waiting to hear his voice.

Jimin: Hello, Hyunsoo!

Hyunsoo: Finally! I have been trying to talk to you alone every since my math lesson!

J: Weird, isn’t it? We were usually always left alone. And now, we’re suddenly making friends.

H: I know. Right, well, I need to talk to you about Sohee and….

J: Yeah, I know. What is it?

H: I’m pretty sure that Sohee definitely likes Jungkook, so that’s no rumour, it’s fact.

J: Yeah, I thought so too. She’s distanced herself from us as well.

H: Yeah, I mean, I never noticed before because we don’t always hang out together, but… I don’t know… would this have happened if we were still friends with her?

J: Good question. I don’t really know though.

H: We can’t change anything now anyway, so let’s look ahead. Speaking of which, I found something else out relating to Sohee.

J: Ok, I’m listening.

H: I ran into Jinyoung today. He told me out of the blue that he liked Sohee now!

J: Wait, what?

H: I know! I was so surprised and just shocked out of my mind!
J: No, I mean, what? I think I have bad connection here.

H: (rolls her eyes) Jimin! Jinyoung likes Sohee!!

J: Are you kidding me? This is big! Now we have a love triangle. Oh, wait, we have four people… uh…

H: Never mind that, I was thinking about something. If Sohee ends up with Jinyoung somehow, then she won’t bother with Jungkook anymore, right?

J: Hyunsoo… are you… jealous?

H: What? No… why?

J: (laughing) Just checking.

H: And why are you laughing?

J: No reason.

H: Well, do you think that would work?

J: Mhh, maybe. It depends whether Sohee will fall for Jinyoung or not.

H: I hope she does…

For the rest of the phone call, Jimin steered Hyunsoo away from the Sohee matter, since he didn’t want her to worry too much. They joked about being far away from each other during the Christmas holidays, because Jimin was going away with his family to see his other relatives. Meanwhile, Hyunsoo would be stuck at home with just her mum, not knowing what to do. Although, Jimin did suggest to hang out with Jungkook more.

Just like that, the days went by and the holidays had started. The rumour about Sohee liking Jungkook was still just a rumour and was gossiped in every year at the school. Everyone somehow knew Jungkook from his reputation – something Hyunsoo wasn’t aware of before, but he was extremely popular.

It turned out that Hoseok was going oversees with his family for the Christmas holidays, and Jungkook would also stay at home, not going anywhere. Hyunsoo did consider then to spend some more time with him, especially since they were now a couple.

They texted each other a few days into the holiday to ask where they should go. They were both keen, now that they had more free time, to meet up and spend quality time together. The next day, they met up in front of an amusement park with big grins on their faces. It was their first official date.

“Where to first?” Jungkook asked, looking around happily.

“Anywhere but the high drop rides…” Hyunsoo was looking up uneasily at the ride that went straight up and dropped down suddenly like a bomb.

“I hate them too…” Jungkook muttered, then widened his eyes excitedly, “Let’s have a bet!”

“For what?”

“We’ll both go on a bunch of scary rides or fast rollercoasters with loops, and whoever screams or jumps out of fear must go to this ride!” He pointed at the one Hyunsoo had looked up at.

Hyunsoo swallowed but nodded.

“First ride, then?”

Hyunsoo looked around briefly and then pointed at a horror train ride. “This one!”

They both went through the short queue quickly, and just as they were about to be seated into the train…

“Jungkook!” Sohee yelled.

They turned around to find Sohee, and an older woman who looked like her mum, seated right behind them.

Hyunsoo turned away from Sohee as soon as she saw her face and sighed in annoyance. Jungkook blinked a few times before he realised who he was looking at.

“Oh,” he said.

“How are you Jungkook?” Sohee asked, completely ignoring Hyunsoo’s presence, who was trying to do the same.

However, they kept their short conversation going until the ride had started, so Hyunsoo felt like the third wheel. What was worse was that Sohee was here, out all the days she could have come here…out of all the places she could have gone to… she came here, to this amusement park.

Things were not going to be easy for Hyunsoo.