Chapter 14

Caged and Guarded

"What are you doing?" Hyunsoo stopped Jungkook as soon as they were out of sight.

"Uh, cooking fish... what about you?" Jungkook replied rolling his eyes, "Do you really have no brain? Huh?" He started knocking her head lightly. "Is that how you always are?"

Hyunsoo felt really embarrassed and knew then that Jungkook had reached the point where Hyunsoo just hated him. She was right to have thought about avoiding him. For some reason though, Jungkook and Hyunsoo kept getting tangled together in different situations.

"Keep out of my business."

"Keep out? Business? Are you serious? This is what you say after I save you?"

"When did I ever ask for any saving? And from you as well." Oddly enough, Hyunsoo was feeling braver than usual - maybe because she was used to Jungkook's annoying behaviour now.

She had obviously hit a nerve though, since Jungkook suddenly grabbed her arm again and twisted it around behind her back, still keeping her facing him. "Hey, if I hadn't saved you, you'd be back there eating those shoes you were bowing down to."

Just then, someone walking by noticed them and yelled, "Hyunsoo! What's going on?"

It was no other than Jinyoung.

"Why do you have such wrong timings in life?" Jungkook turned to face Jinyoung, extremely annoyed by the sound of his voice.

"I'm here for Hyunsoo, not you moron." Jinyoung turned to Hyunsoo, "Are you alright?"

"Uhm, yeah." Hyunsoo wasn't really sure how she should be feeling... or reacting.

"Come with me." And this time, Jinyoung took Hyunsoo's hand and took her away from Jungkook, who in response looked even more annoyed, but did nothing to stop them.

As they were leaving, there was even a sound of some lockers being kicked. Judging by the sound, the owners would not be happy at all.

 

Hyunsoo and Jimin were seated near the back of the bus when Jungkook got on - this time accompanied by the one and only, Joy. Jungkook and Hyunsoo made eye contact for a few seconds, before it was broken by Joy reaching out for Jungkook's shoulder and holding on to it.

"Oh no..." whispered Hyunsoo, looking at Jimin.

"What?"

"I don't want Jungkook knowing I live right across him. I'm trying to avoid him... he's trouble..."

"Oh... don't worry, I'm sure he won't bother you outside of school. Still, call me if he does anything... I... errr, dislike him too."

Hyunsoo and Jimin suddenly became uncomfortable being in the same bus as Jungkook and Joy. They all kept stealing glances at each other. Joy gave the mean looking ones, whereas Jungkook just gave the glances of satisfaction. Everything he did was starting to annoy Hyunsoo.

"Look at him, thinking he's so cool. Pshh." Hyunsoo whispered, making Jimin giggle.

Soon, it was time to get off, and face another Jungkook smirk after he finds out about Hyunsoo's house. However, there was no smirk or any kind of reaction. She knew that he knew, but he was paying more attention to Joy. Somehow, this annoyed Hyunsoo too, though she should be happy.

"Hey," Jimin said, nudging Hyunsoo, "Shall I come? Maybe your dad won't do anything when I'm here."

"Have you forgotten the first time you saw him? He didn't even hesitate."

"We can still try. I'll stop him!" He put a fist up, trying to look heroic.

She smiled and said, "Okay."

As they entered, Hyunsoo could feel her heartbeat against her chest for the second time that day, but it turned out, there was nothing to worry about. No one was home.

"No one's in..." She looked around nervously.

Jimin looked at Hyunsoo. "So... can I still stay? Actually, earlier... it was just an excuse to come over..."

Hyunsoo laughed. "Alright, alright. What shall we do?"

Jimin's smile widened.

That evening was like having another sleepover - without the actual sleeping over. This time, they watched a comedy movie while having dinner together. It wasn't much. Neither of them could cook, so all they had was take out noodles. Jimin paid - he lost to paper.

"Hello!" Hyunsoo's mum called.

Jimin ran out to greet her mum.

"Hello, I'm Jimin." He smiled brightly.

"Oh, hello! It's nice to finally meet you!"

"You too! I'm Hyunsoo's best friend!"